YesNoOk

Guillotine Gen [Updated 6-24-09] (Read 34805 times)

Started by Amanojaku, January 29, 2009, 12:17:42 pm
Share this topic:
Guillotine Gen [Updated 6-24-09]
New #1  January 29, 2009, 12:17:42 pm
    • USA
My first attempt at creating a character, Street Fighter Alpha's Gen brandishing a flying guillotine:

I should point out that this character plays NOTHING like his official counterpart (or any other Street Fighter character). He has his own completely different control scheme and moveset, so reading the Movelist.txt is recommended.

Updated 06-24-09

-No more disappearing sprites (I hope).
  -Second Intro should now work properly on stages with stage identifier coding.
  -Added head and mid pos parameters so he should work properly with characters that use them (like Momoko).
  -Reduced the SND file size by nearly half, so he has a smaller footprint now.
  -Changed commands for the dodges and power charging to match standards used by most other characters.
  -A few other minor touch-ups.

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ee98115pqt4eq/Amanojaku's_Mugen_Creations

Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:47:09 pm by Amanojaku
Re: Guillotine Gen
#2  January 29, 2009, 12:43:16 pm
    • www.angelfire.com/moon2/ned
Some Quick Feedback/Opinions

-stand light punch has infinite priority (begin action 200)
-he can counter even if hes in a hit state kinda unfair but that might be intentional
-IMO the super moves need a super pause
-you have an invisible helper that gets in the way of the fight (especially when the characters walk)
-the lvl3 supermove is wierd how it connects, sometimes he goes through the opponent without hitting (i think he dashes slightly fast) or it could be that it needs a superpause
-a punch move that gen does makes the opponent freeze in mid air statedef 3100 (red hand move) probably how you wanted it but it feels a bit buggy to me as the opponent just stops in mid air while you can power up to level 3
-dont like how the taunt interrupts with the gameplay i recommend you use the start button for taunts
-youve made a throw 200 damage but the throw feels very weak it needs something to make it have some more impact
-the jump fwd velocities are kinda wierd for me, making the jump attacks not very effective
-stand medium /strong kick (statedef 310) needs the width controller as the move goes right through the opponent

Other than that its a very funny character (in a good way) taunts are funny too

Nice ideas with this

Cool character
Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:27:02 pm by supermystery
#3  January 29, 2009, 02:24:16 pm
    • USA
-stand light punch has infinite priority (begin action 200)
Intentional. I wanted his light attacks to be able to stop an attacker cold (like Sakura's SFA jab punch). As a trade off I made the moves do little damage.

-IMO the super moves need a super pause
This is just my personal preferance. I wanted the supers to act like the old SNK super moves (Fatal Fury 2, Art of Fighting 1, SamSho 2) where the action itself didn't pause.

-you have an invisible helper that gets in the way of the fight (especially when the characters walk)
So THATS whats been causing this. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure wtf is causing him to act so erradically sometimes. Its fixed now, thanks so much for pointing this out.

-the lvl3 supermove is wierd how it connects, sometimes he goes through the opponent without hitting (i think he dashes slightly fast) or it could be that it needs a superpause
Couldn't reproduce this error. Lowered the velocity on this, hope that fixes it.

-a punch move that gen does makes the opponent freeze in mid air statedef 3100 (red hand move) probably how you wanted it but it feels a bit buggy to me as the opponent just stops in mid air while you can power up to level 3
The opponent is actually supposed to "splat" against the edge of the screen and then gradually slide down. I went ahead and reduced the powercharge amount.

-dont like how the taunt interrupts with the gameplay i recommend you use the start button for taunts
You're right, changed.

-the jump fwd velocities are kinda wierd for me, making the jump attacks not very effective
Alright, made some adjustments so hopefully it feels better.

-stand medium /strong kick (statedef 310) needs the width controller as the move goes right through the opponent
Couldn't reproduce this error either, but I added a width controller just in case.

New file has been uploaded.
#4  January 29, 2009, 03:31:03 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
I gotta say, being a huge fan of both Old-School Kung-Fu Movies and SFA Gen Character, I'm really stoked on testing this soon...but so far by the looks of those screenshots, it seems you've done a good job.

He'd make a great team with Pots' Hsien-ko....They'd be called "The Deadly Medley"

One thing though...that Red Palm attack could use better spriting...looks way too flat.
I'll provide more feedback later.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#5  January 29, 2009, 06:22:27 pm
Thanks for the updates
Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:31:34 pm by supermystery
#6  January 29, 2009, 08:35:23 pm
great char concept
fresh idea allways wellcome :sugoi:
#7  January 29, 2009, 08:44:42 pm
    • USA
-he can counter even if hes in a hit state kinda unfair but that might be intentional
-youve made a throw 200 damage but the throw feels very weak it needs something to make it have some more impact

Whoops, you're right I did miss these two.

1st point: If you're talking about his level 1 super then yes it's intentional (in fact it can only be activated during a hit-state). If its something else then its a bug I'm not aware of and should fix.

2nd point: I always preferred the oldschool SF2 throws that did a nice chunk of damage. So I gave him a simple throw that did oldschool damage without throw recovers or throw escapes or any other such girly nonsense :D
#8  January 29, 2009, 08:45:41 pm
Oh yeah, btw you might want to re-align the hit sparks that appear on the floor when Gen throws his Gillotine forward and back/Diagonally.

2nd point: I always preferred the oldschool SF2 throws that did a nice chunk of damage. So I gave him a simple throw that did oldschool damage without throw recovers or throw escapes or any other such girly nonsense :D

fair enough, judging by the other powerful attacks i had a feeling that was why you did it.

Cool
Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:54:43 pm by supermystery
#9  January 29, 2009, 09:22:15 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
Hm, not a bad character but some issues of balance readily exist that make him, well...insanely strong.
-Biggest issue is that his attacks end up coming out fast but feel way too safe, meaning you can't be punished readily for just wailing away with them.
-Combo damage can frequently end up very high and with only a few hits. Reducing the damage and adding a dampener should help heavily there.
-The idea behind the level 1 super is interesting...but there's kinda a big problem. Allowing it to auto-break combos effectively negates the point of trying to hit Gen: by hitting him his power meter will build, and he'll eventually break free of any combo string and knock you on your ass in the process. This kinda factors into the first point, since it makes his moves even safer, since you can just build meter while wailing away then autobreak whatever happens.
It would honestly be best if limited to just blocking, since even as an alpha counter type deal it's a strong move.
-Only other thing I can suggest is making the instant kill have a bit more difficulty to hit home.

It's definitely off to a great start as a character. Just really wish the fights lasted longer as this has the potential bang for the buck, but because he's so strong very little can stand against him in a balanced fight. :\
#10  January 29, 2009, 10:00:01 pm
This character looks cool.
#11  January 29, 2009, 10:33:07 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
Even though this is a customized Gen, I find it has much better AI than all other Gen conversions.

The damage has to be fair, like somebody already mentioned...He is *get's up from ground* ...too powerfuhhhhhh.... *dies quickly but painlessly...you get the idea.

Else, good job.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#12  January 29, 2009, 11:05:39 pm
    • USA
Alright, made some changes:

-Fixed the hitsparks on the Slanted Guillotine.
  -Nerfed the damage on most of his moves.
  -Momentum Break no longer knocks down the opponent, allowing them to recover and come after him quickly.
  -Modified the ticks/animation time on some of his attacks to make them execute/recover slower.
  -Removed infinite priority on his light punch + kick, since Shadowless Fist and Shin Kick already have them.
  -He still gives you the finger if you suck :P

I also added a separate download with only the updated files so everyone who already downloaded him won't have to do so again.

That's all the fixes I can get to today but everyone feel free to point out any other issues you might find with him.
Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:23:05 pm by Amanojaku
#13  January 29, 2009, 11:10:24 pm
sweet looks fun downloading now
#14  January 30, 2009, 09:55:23 am
Thanks for the updates
#15  January 30, 2009, 11:03:33 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
- King Boxer just leaves the opponent in midair and he cannot be touched anymore. :S
- I'm really not fond of the hitsparks. Same goes for the small portrait.
- He's still on the overpowered side IMO. Chaining Slanted Guillotine into Flying Guillotine is pushing it too much. The combo is nice though, so what I'd suggest is add more damage dampening.
- Why are air LP and air HP the same ? Same goes for air LK and air HK.
- I have the feeling HP should hit at the end of the move (when Gen's arm is extended), rather than at the beginning. It looks strange. Or rather : it hits only once, because the opponent is pushed too far on the first hit. However, if you go very close to him, and perform B+HP, you'll do 2 hits (instead of throwing)
- I'd prefer throw to be F+HP or B+HP. Just being close to the opponent can lead you into throwing him instead of hitting him.
- LK is a 6 hit combo in the corner. Doesn't do heavy damage, but kinda redundant.
- The roll is very very very broken. You HAVE TO put clsn boxes on it. After, just use a nothitby sctrl so that he cannot be hit. However, make it so that he can be thrown during the roll. Also, to balance things, you can make it so that he has some recovery time at the end of the roll.
- Infinite priority on B+LP and B+LK.

This is an interesting character nevertheless, especially for a first one. You've been creative, and that's nice. :)
No huge bugs (except the 1st one listed), but a gameplay which needs some polishing to make it a really good playable character.

Thanks for your contribution. :)
#16  January 30, 2009, 11:39:29 pm
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
cool concept!!!

that's why mugen is my favorite "fighting game"   :sugoi:
            Zorf Giudecca
#17  January 31, 2009, 03:28:25 am
  • Still in Prison...
cool concept! we need more original characters like that in MUGEN! ~downloads~ :sugoi: :sugoi: :sugoi:

Been Through Worse....
#18  January 31, 2009, 04:59:35 pm
    • USA
Okay, another round of updates and bug fixes:

-I THINK I figured out why King Boxer caused the opponent to stay indefinitely frozen in midair for some people (though not for me, the move always worked as it should). I made some changes to it so let me know if the move still freezes the enemy.
  -I believe I found a better balance with Momentum Break (level 1 super). The move once again knocks the enemy down and the damage to their super bar has been increased. HOWEVER, if the move hits the enemy then it will add 100 points to their lifebar. Hitting an opponent with a full super meter's worth of Momentum Breaks could potentially give them nearly 1/3 of their life back so moderation is clearly the order of the day now.  ;)
  -Throw command is now F + HP instead of just HP.
  -Damage on the second (retracting) hits of the Guillotine moves has been lowered.
  -Sweep no longer knocks the enemy down, it just trips them up a bit.
  -Modified/extended animation time and velocities on several moves.
  -The second hit of Five Deadly Venoms no longer hits low.
  -Fist of the White Lotus now has a longer start up. It can no longer be chained into with a light attack (although it can still be done so with a heavy punch). The move's velocity and time it's able to hit have also been shortened. Also, the music that plays with it will turn off after 28 seconds in training mode.
  -Uh...a few more I can't recall at the moment  --;

New update links are up now.
Re: Guillotine Gen [Updated 1-31-09]
#19  January 31, 2009, 05:30:42 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
This is feeling MUCH tighter. The Momentum Break now feels balanced as the health boost readily counters the escape measure.

Would you like some hosting?
Re: Guillotine Gen [Updated 1-31-09]
#20  February 01, 2009, 03:19:00 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
yeah this feels way better
also,try using a diff host like fileden or 4shared or megaupload or mediafire