YesNoOk

What are some really difficult new games? (Read 6679 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, January 06, 2016, 11:32:47 am
Share this topic:
What are some really difficult new games?
#1  January 06, 2016, 11:32:47 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Was playing through MegaMan 3 yesterday and wondered what games of today provide a similar difficult challenge.

Everyone says Bloodborne and Dark Souls are super hard but I played Bloodborne now and thought that it is completely about the attack patterns and those are pretty easy to learn. There is no big difficulty through the leveldesign.

Long story, short question. Can you recommend me some really difficult games for Playstation 3,4 or PC?
Re: What are some really difficult new games?
#2  January 06, 2016, 11:59:08 am
    • USA
Transformers Devastation, The Next Penelope (Pretty challenging to 100% because of the latter levels), Vermintide, Gunvolt when you go for S ranks, Final Fantasy Type-0 can be pretty challenging at times, Cloudbuilt.

Kinda hard to give you a list when you say "new" and then include the PS3 as part of the list of games you want or you don't mention a genre you like :P also Mega Man games were never that hard for me so I might be a little bit off when it comes to list games as hard as those.
#3  January 06, 2016, 12:45:07 pm
    • USA
    • goroh16@yahoo.com
Energy tanks makes Megaman games easy when you get them. I don't use them though.
#4  January 06, 2016, 01:34:40 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Just play SMT Nocturne or SMT Strange Journey if you're looking for difficult turn based games.Both can be easily emulated.
#5  January 06, 2016, 07:37:33 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
Evil Within
Blood Rayne Betrayal
Lords of Fallen (DS Clone)
Those 3 can be difficult at times.
Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:48:40 pm by Insigniawarfare
#6  January 07, 2016, 05:14:23 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
IDK if you count 2003 new, but F-Zero GX is stupidly brutal at times.

Could always play some of the absolutely batshit levels people make in Mario Maker too

Pal

#7  January 07, 2016, 08:34:14 pm
    • Argentina
Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin if you've never played them before. Not exactly "hard" but really challenging due to the bosses since you can't heal during them and they require fast reflexes (and sometimes grinding a level or two).

I think people are still uploading screenshots of them dying when the boss only had 10 HP left.
#8  January 08, 2016, 12:20:11 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Etrian Odyssey RPG games in the Classic aka Hard difficulty. They're hard, specially when you have to tackle the extra content. They require you to prepare a well-optimized party and each floor can take a lot of time to explore because each has its unique way to deal with (plus FOEs that you can't obviously deal with until you get a lot more levels).
#9  January 08, 2016, 12:45:54 pm
  • WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR?!
    • USA
Half Minute Hero series - The first one has multiple campaigns that must be completed in 30 seconds. The sequel is even harder since many bosses have a spell that can kill you in 30 seconds and the Time Goddess will increase the amount of gold needed to rewind the time limit every time you die.

The Last of Us - There's a difficulty called Grounded Mode where you have no Listen mode, next to non-existent supplies, smarter enemy AI, no mid-combat/mid-stealth checkpoints, and triple enemy damage.

Kingdom Hearts II on Proud Mode - Enemies will wreck your shit in 4 hits or less.
Current Status: N/A
#10  January 08, 2016, 01:26:11 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin if you've never played them before. Not exactly "hard" but really challenging due to the bosses since you can't heal during them and they require fast reflexes (and sometimes grinding a level or two).

I think people are still uploading screenshots of them dying when the boss only had 10 HP left.

Cosigning this post, they're also good games as well!
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#11  January 08, 2016, 02:43:45 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Fast Racing Neo on the Wii U seems to be a bit of a challenge
#12  January 08, 2016, 05:22:04 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Kingdom Hearts II on Proud Mode - Enemies will wreck your shit in 4 hits or less.

I think you meant Critical Mode. In Proud Mode you still have your normal health value and bosses just do a bit more damage. In Critical your health value is halved compared to what you usually would have at end game, and some bosses downright 1-hit kill you if you don't have the appropiate skills to save yourself.

Also you should recommend the PS3 version, not the KH2 version. The PS3 version has that difficulty and some really challenging bosses that the PS2 version didn't have, unless you had the Final Mix version like me. You can also set your EXP to 0 if you want, but personally, more than challenging, that makes the fights really annoying as you'll barely do damage because you're at constant Lvl 1.

#13  January 08, 2016, 05:27:13 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Xcom enemy unknown in the classic and impossible difficulty is pretty fucking hard. Especially with some of the special game modifiers.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#14  January 08, 2016, 05:35:49 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
Xcom enemy unknown in the classic and impossible difficulty is pretty fucking hard. Especially with some of the special game modifiers.

^^^ this. I would recommend most strategy games since they can get VERY difficult even for seasoned players. Anything made my Paradox is pretty difficult or complex. Even Mount and Blade: Warband is pretty hard if you are trying to play the game properly.

People who say that "Dark Souls is soooooo hard" are usually idiots who have either never played the game or played it once and quit after their first few deaths. It's not difficult at all and it's pretty much what you said. Learn the attack patterns and get used to the game's pacing :P
#15  January 09, 2016, 07:12:13 pm
    • Philippines
Any top down shooting game that came out in the past few years
#16  February 10, 2016, 07:23:35 pm
  • YADANA... SI USU...
    • USA
    • grimwatson1@gmail.com
They ain't considered new but the entire Metal Slug Series. Its all about angles.  "Like a midget at a urinal, You go to keep on your toes" - lieutenant Frank Dribbin. Police Squad
#17  February 10, 2016, 09:14:57 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
@GBK Perhaps you should specify a game release time frame, just so the thread doesn't get too messy.

On-topic: The Armored Core games, on Hard Mode. I've had the toughest run on Armored Core 4A(ForAnswer) on their "Old King" story path's final mission. Also, the entirety of Armored Core Verdict Day's Hardcore mode (You have a variety of HC Mode game modifiers to choose from).

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.

lui

#18  February 10, 2016, 10:07:30 pm
    • USA

just spam reflega, use block alot and dodge (on FM) after you master your timings on those everything is easy as shit especially in limit form