YesNoOk

Hip-Hop Discussion Thread (Read 90824 times)

Started by D'Evil, April 15, 2013, 07:23:55 pm
Share this topic:

GLB

Re: Hip-Hop Discussion Thread
#41  April 16, 2013, 04:11:20 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Understandable. I've heard the same thing differently put from several others. All a matter of personal preference yet again.

His flow is pretty crazy. But you've also got to admit that DJ Hoppa is a pretty damn good producer. Beats on certain songs are extremely catchy. I also appreciate their competitions that get unknown rappers to get involved and get a chance to get their music out there. That's how I became a fan of people like Whitney Peyton, CAE, Hard Target, and Sketchy Waze. He also brought along SwizZz, Jarren Benton and Dizzy Wright who all have wicked potential.
#42  April 16, 2013, 04:15:33 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
Hopsin is pretty good.  I wouldn't call myself a fan of him but I'll admit that some of his songs are really good listens though.

Have any of you ever heard of Black Element?
The guy is extremely underground but he's one of my favs.

GLB

#43  April 16, 2013, 04:18:42 am
Gave one of his songs a listen and was reminded of The Pharcyde for some reason.
#44  April 16, 2013, 04:23:15 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
On an unrelated note, I'm very happy how many different people have posted in this topic, meaning that the hip-hop love is still very much alive.  And no t a single post of rock/metal fanboy bullshit yet.  I love you MFG.

GLB

#45  April 16, 2013, 04:26:37 am
I was thinking the same thing, I've awaited a topic like this for a while, considering I'm a huge fan with a lot to say, lol. I really hope that bandwagon doesn't plow through, but it's probably inevitable.
#46  April 16, 2013, 04:29:56 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
This topic was bound to happen eventually.  You and I have been sharing music back to back in other music threads long enough anyways. ;P
Gave one of his songs a listen and was reminded of The Pharcyde for some reason.
IIRC, Pharcyde is one of his greatest sources of inspiration along with Rakim and many others.

GLB

#47  April 16, 2013, 04:33:19 am
This topic was bound to happen eventually.  You and I have been sharing music back to back in other music threads long enough anyways. ;P

Lol, true. We've both found several new artists from sharing with one another In the "What Are You Listening To Right Now?" thread.

IIRC, Pharcyde is one of his greatest sources of inspiration along with Rakim and many others.

That makes a lot of sense, I can some what see the similar qualities in the way they rap. They both have that very calm nonchalant style. 

#48  April 16, 2013, 04:49:51 am
Hopsin pretty much is black Eminem in that he has a ridiculous flow and ridiculous metaphors, all that but unlike Eminem there's no true substance to it and it doesn't really put anything in your ear but sound. However I'm not actually giving him a fair shake tbqh considering that I haven't heard a full project from all the way through so I do apologize for that.

As far as lowkey rappers I follow that I would recommend to you all:

XV
Casey Veggies
Sir Michael Rocks (Needs work though but he's making it happen.)
Jon Connor
Kid Ink (He's straight whip music tho don't expect to hear life-changing raps)
Tory Lanez
Stalley (Not that lowkey I know but probably best in MMG)

I also heavily mess wit Curren$y too and I would say everyone in Jet Life should be heard
#49  April 16, 2013, 04:59:44 am
  • "Draw Pilgrim" or something.
    • USA
Hopsin pretty much is black Eminem in that he has a ridiculous flow and ridiculous metaphors, all that but unlike Eminem there's no true substance to it and it doesn't really put anything in your ear but sound. However I'm not actually giving him a fair shake tbqh considering that I haven't heard a full project from all the way through so I do apologize for that.
Not trying to be a dick but what metaphors? His lyrical game is pretty lackluster.

And a bit out of nowhere. But I love Danny Brown, as indicated by my avatar.
#50  April 16, 2013, 05:06:39 am
I'm clearly not a fan but I've heard a few songs, I should've clarified when I said ridiculous. Not ridiculous as in amazingly awesome but ridiculous as in funny/messed up/unrealistic like Eminem's Slim Shady persona
#51  April 16, 2013, 05:09:33 am
    • USA
Aw I see, my bad.

GLB

#52  April 16, 2013, 05:38:11 pm
I'm clearly not a fan but I've heard a few songs, I should've clarified when I said ridiculous. Not ridiculous as in amazingly awesome but ridiculous as in funny/messed up/unrealistic like Eminem's Slim Shady persona

What songs did you hear exactly? Because he has made some "funny" and "messed up" songs. I don't quite see where you get "unrealistic" though.
#53  April 16, 2013, 10:17:58 pm
^ That's what I'm saying, he makes songs like that, and unrealistic as in he says stuff that he obviously wouldn't do or couldn't do.

I've only heard some random songs from YouTube way back when he first came out with Ill Mind of Hopsin along with a couple other tracks I don't remember because a guy recommended him. He's not a bad rapper I just didn't see him as a guy I could download and picture myself listening to on a regular basis.

GLB

#54  April 17, 2013, 12:23:04 am
Ah okay. To be fair though, a plethora of rappers do that, I wouldn't assign that to him specifically.
#55  April 17, 2013, 12:27:37 am
Well I wasn't particularly assigning it to him, I was just saying that was what I could gather from his style. Not really I guy I could just throw into the shuffle though so I didn't dabble any further to see if there's anything else to him.

GLB

#56  April 17, 2013, 12:34:34 am
Being a fan I'd try and convince you that there's some difference in his music. Unfortunately I do not think I can, a majority of his music revolves around what I'd call "Horror-Core" and tragic personal life experiences, mixed in with what you had already pointed out, the common rapper unreal-ism.

#57  April 17, 2013, 06:31:15 pm
    • USA

GLB

#58  April 17, 2013, 06:34:59 pm
Never was a fan of Kanye. As a producer I see him as something incredible, as a rapper I feel like he's not anything special. I'm interested to see what he does with Skrillex, even though I'm not a huge Skrillex fan, I am a huge hip-hop and huge dubstep fan, so I'm curious. Another time working with Daft Punk? Legit, their other collaboration was one of the only songs I truly enjoyed by Kanye, others included being: Runaway, Jesus Walks, Through The Wire, and Can't Tell Me Nothing.

Chief Keef, ehh... I know Kanye likes to keep up with the "now" rappers, but he could've found someone much more productive than Chief Keef, that hurts my soul.

Don't know who Young Chop is.

#59  April 17, 2013, 06:43:45 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
    • infiniteff.forumotion.com/
I haven't heard any of Hopsin's full albums or tapes but from the songs that I have heard from him, I can say he definitely has bars and a nice flow.
#60  April 17, 2013, 06:44:11 pm
    • USA
I find Kanye's lyricism to be a tad bit underrated. He doesn't abuse multi-syllables like an unloved step child, nor does he pack in filler internal rhymes... but his lines are good for what they are and for the most part are memorable. His flow is spot-on as well. I believe as an overall artist he's one of the GOATs, he's one of the most consistent of all time, not only are his solo albums all objectively good, each one has a unique concept to them.
Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:52:25 pm by D'Evil