YesNoOk

Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: October COTM candidates!) (Read 81338 times)

Started by Umezono, January 10, 2014, 05:44:48 am
Share this topic:
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: October COTM candidates!)
#201  December 03, 2018, 12:06:54 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Hello Guild, today I am going to do a series of short mini-reviews on the nominees for October's COTM award. Its been 3 years since I've written any so hope youll enjoy. Since they are intended to be short, small overviews of the characters they will not be anywhere as detailed as my previous reviews. I plan to return to long-form reviews at some point, but my motivation to really sit down and write one out is not here at the moment. However, I think you will still appreciate these reviews, and they can act as sort of a preview to what you'll be voting for this month.

The first is Sonic Mania by @RoySquadRocks:

Sonic Mania is a custom character using sprites from the classic Sonic the Hedgehog platformer series as well as new assets from the recent Sonic Mania, which was a return to the original StH aesthetic. The gameplay style doesn't really resemble any existing games I can think of, it is very much RoySquadRocks' own thing. Every basic attack, including the crouching and air variants feel like special moves. His standing punches call out helpers, as do his crouching punches. His standing and crouching kicks are his "gotta go fast" kit, he does a variety of dashes and spin dashes. All of his air basics seem to be spin/homing attack based. His specials involve him calling helpers to attack for him. It is a very inventive approach, as the author was working off a lack of actual sprites for Sonic himself. However, it also has the dual effect of filling the screen with all sort of shit that makes it very confusing to tell whats going on.

As far as I can tell, he has some pretty cool combos, but it's really hard to hit them consistently and you can often combo just by mashing random things, which also fills the screen with red clsn and is kind of overpowered. When you are covering everything in front of sonic with red clsn (and NO blue clsn on some of the more powerful specials as far as I can tell) it makes it really hard to get in on him, much less punish him. So his gameplay is extremely "safe" in this regard. It also gives him the element of randomness, as in theres no predictable way to tell what he's going to do because of the lack of animations for Sonic himself and the sometimes instant quality of his helpers. The special in which he calls the hard-boiled heavy for him seems to be completely random as to which helper he will recieve as well. Also, this character can parry for whatever reason, which I find to be a little superfluous.

Overall, this character is easily one of the more creative entries on the list. One thing I can tell with Sonic Mania as well as RoySquadRocks' other characters is that he clearly has an appreciation for the source material he is working with. He figure out a way to make full characters with limited sprites, and overcomes that limited spriteset by thinking outside of the box. However, the consequence is the balance and the "flow" of the character, this is a character with very little flow and honestly I find it a lot more fun to watch than play, and even less so play against, especially with the random element of one of his specials and the way he fills the screen with things making it hard to tell whats going on. So while this is interesting conceptually, not everything translates well to actual gameplay.

I will give Sonic Mania a 7/10.

The second is Castle by @Kamekaze: and @Sean Altly:

Castle is a new, original character by Sean Altly for his full game Shades of Manhattan 3, sequel to his previous full games. I have always admired Sean's ability to actually push out completed, totally original concepts and games. This is something that takes a lot of time, hard work and dedication. I also really admire Kamekaze, who has a vast and deep knowledge of fighting games and coding, and has coded some of the best characters for this engine. He also has done full game work himself. This is all to say that this pair definitely knows what they are doing, and that translates to Castle. He is a character with a clear design, and very strong execution. The system they are using for Castle is original, but will translate well to a full game environment, much better than it would in a regular MUGEN setup. Castle plays as a hybrid rushdown/grappler character. He can chain his attacks, meaning he can cancel all light moves into heavy moves, heavy moves into specials, specials into supers, etc. He also has command grabs.

Castle's main "gimmick" however is his QCB + P, Fortify. With Fortify, Castle gains one hit of super armor, meaning he can be hit once and his current animation will not be interrupted and he will suffer no hitstun. He can do this up to four times, and one his supers also grants him 4 hits of armor with the tradeoff he cannot fortify anymore for the rest of the round. (This is of questionable utility to me, because it costs meter to do already.) He can usually get a free fortify after a knockdown. The super armor concept is something traditionally associated with slower or bigger bodies and grapplers, but Castle does not play like these characters. He is very fast and versatile. With armor, he can rush down and exploit an opponent's attempt to punish thanks to his armor. The attack will not stun Castle, but he will be able to punish the attack for free himself. This means once Castle gets his armor going, he can pull a lot of bullshit. Kamekaze and Sean have stated the best way to get around it is multi-hit attacks, which I hope many characters in Shades 3 have to access to without meter, because Fortify takes NO meter and can be done freely. This is definitely something you would want to address in a full game environment, you can't really balance a character for an open MUGEN, but seeing it in such a formate definitely demonstrates how powerful the concept is in theory.

Given the design ethic behind Castle as a rushdown type character, I do not truly agree with the concept of giving him armor and easy command grabs like this, he just seems very boss-like and hard to punish, but I don't know how the rest of the characters function and he was designed with the full game in mind, so its understandable. My main gripe with Castle honestly, is his sound. Firstly, its that he uses the default fightfx, which usually means the default KFM hitsounds, which make his attacks lack impact. His sound mixing is kind of bad, some voice clips are noticeably lower than others, making it hard to hear what he's saying sometimes. His voice acting is pretty serviceable, but his accent kinda changes randomly, which is a bit awkward. However, these are just small gripes. As a full package, Castle is actually very impressive and I actually nominated him to the COTM myself. I think the spritework is very nice, and the bases and influences modified enough to where he looks unique, and I think with gameplay tweaks and balancing he could be truly cool.

I will give Castle an 8/10.

The third will be Asterix by @Hannah Montana:

I actually cannot tell  for certain if the Asterix up for COTM is the Asterix by Hannah Montana or the edited "NES Asterix" by Smeagol14 that Hannah Montana modified as they are both showcased on the release thread, but it stands to reason that it is the former, and thats ok cause its the better character of the two anyways. Asterix is from some french comic I didn't know about until I downloaded the character, I looked over the comic and it sucked and wasn't funny, much like the French in general (bazinga!!! lolz). In all seriousness though, this Asterix is based off a Konami arcade game which featured him and other characters, with custom gameplay. The Konami game was a beatemup, so I think most of the sprites were there and didn't need to be edited. However, Hannah Montana elected to put this ugly, chalk-like filter over the sprites. This filtering actually removes some of the nice details of Konami's original spritework and makes Asterix look worse than before. I really dislike this sort of unnecessary filtering. In addition, many of his hitsparks are misaligned. So the graphic work on this character, when there wasn't much to begin with, is lackluster.

The gameplay is extremely rudimentary. While the CLSN placement on Asterix's attacks isn't horrible, some of it doesnt make sense. Asterix's crouching light punch has red clsn that covers his whole arm, yet his crouching lp's hitbox does not cover his leg and is inside the blue clsn, making it pretty gimped. Two of his specials are just dash attacks, and he has a dp like move. It's pretty basic, though I do like that Hannah Montana made his QCF + HP easily punishable on block, as he gets tired out after doing it. He seems to lack a back throw, which I don't like any character to lack outside of source accuracy reasons (which clearly wasn't a goal here.) Especially when you can just flip the front throw animation around, which he does have. He has counter and dodge mechanics. His HP calls a potion which I think gives you full power and extra damage, which is stupid, but I can't seem to do it more than once a round at least. Otherwise he is a very average, run of the mill chain combo character who I don't find very interesting, sorry.

This is an earnest attempt at a character not many know about and even less would think to translate to fighting games, so I respect that, but the choice of filter is so ugly. Why did you do that? The rudimentary, somewhat ill thought out, gameplay makes him quite unappealing as well. There is a disappointing lack of super/hyper moves in the character, which is understandable, but I wish they had tried to modify some existing assets into something workable. The sound work is also a bit low. I think its cool that Hannah Montana put this together, but its really not my cup of tea. Much respect for getting into COTM, but I would not personally vote for this character.

I'll give Asterix a 4/10.

The fourth is Crashman by Infinity Mugen Team, edited by @Mr.Giang:

Mr. Giang is pretty cool, he updates a lot of really lackluster characters that need more love, and gives them very detailed fixes and edits to make them play like proper fighting game characters. He removes and tweaks things that aren't needed and adds things that make sense. I admire their work very much. Now this is Crashman by Infinity MUGEN Team, which is not known for stellar work. However, the Robot Masters by IMT seem to largely fall under the purview of @O Ilusionista: and lapascho, who are some pretty solid old school creators. Apparently there was some big incident regarding credit on this character that was later resolved, so good for all of them. All that said, what about the character? It's originally sprited, and even though the work is dated, it still holds up today and looks quite fluid, especially with the things Mr. Giang fixed. Before I get into the gameplay though, its important to note that Mr. Giang coded this with the "UNO Tag system" in mind. This is something I'm frankly not interested in, so I cannot speak to it in my review. More importantly though. he seems to mostly put his focus into coding it for MUGEN 1.1. I don't really use 1.1 all that often (my personal view is it added more bugs and broke too much compatibility) but he says the 1.0 version is "not recommended." So in the interest of a fair review, I'll load up 1.1 for this. But if you don't use it, keep this in mind.

Crashman plays like a typical MVC-inspired character, with LMH chains, a launcher and air combo followups. The sound work is nice though hearing certain sound clips play everytime you hit a button is kind of annoying. What I do like is that the character in general has recieved a fresh coat of paint in all aspects besides spritework, playing far superior to the IMT's template. Giang added hi-res effects and sparks, incorporated MUGEN 1.1's fancy zoom into his hypers, added various balance, bug and glitch fixes, and revamped generally everything. This conveys a lot of hard work and attention to detail most creators don't pay any mind. I think as an update to this character, its really nice, and even though its an edit it stands up well among its competitors. There are some minor issues I've found, such as lack of pushback on crouching normals making it easy to mash out a blockstring or damaging combo with little repercussion. Also, the clsns are overly detailed and can use some work. Functional placements of 2-3 boxes is far better than attempting to cover every detail of his run sprite or attack animations with blue clsn.

Now overall, I think this is an inventive character, and even tho a lot of the credit should still fall to the original spriter I think Mr. Giang made a strong case for himself as a good creator here. I don't particularly find the character as entertaining as some of the other entrants- in many aspects, he's quite straightforward. Also, I don't really have as much appreciation for the 1.1 aspects as many others would, and I don't really know anything about the tag features he implemented. However, on its own I think this is a strong character worth trying out and keeping on your roster if you like Megaman.

I will give Crashman a 6/10.

The next character is Sayaka Miki by @Nep Heart:

This uses Otz-Kai's originally sprited character as a resource base and is otherwise a completely new creation by Nep Heart. Sayaka is from an anime about bad things happening to cute little girls called Madoka. Nep took influences from Marvel vs. Capcom, Guilty Gear and King of Fighters to create a custom gameplay style for the character. This is actually their first character and it's very impressive. I won't comment on the spritework that much cause its not Nep's work, but its quite nice and accomplishes what it set out to do. Nep also incorporated system graphics and HUDs but they are not too invasive and mesh well with the character. In terms of gameplay, the first thing that strikes me as good is that Nep Heart differentiated the utility of special moves according to the strength of the button pressed (light/medium/heavy). This is something a lot of creators of custom characters don't really bother to do. Though its not really been an issue with any of the releases I've looked at so far, I was pleasantly surprised to see this for their first character. Each variation of a special has a defined niche and reason to be used. She's extremely fast and can deal a lot of damage with her combos, obviously intended for a rushdown style of gameplay. Notably, Nep Heart elected to give her 750 life instead of the default 1000, which makes her a glass cannon of sorts. This is another thing I don't see new creators experiment with.

She has a detailed gameplay system, allow her to tech, guard cancel, air dash, combo break, counter and guard break. She also has passive abilities at low health that boosts her move properties and can gain power by taunting or getting a first hit. Consequently, there is a lot to remember with her and she is rather complex, making the skill floor for effective play higher than many characters. I myself don't have the time to devote to getting really good with her, but from my practice I could see she is quite rewarding despite the practice she requires. She has a special that applies a passive buff that allows her to deal more damage and restore her life, but Nep gave her the tradeoff of taking extra damage while the buff is active and also added a cooldown. This attention to balance is a very good sign. She also has a healing super similar to Elena's but she can be hit out of it, which is an interesting counter balance to her nature as a glass cannon.

This character is one of the most solid in the running and one of my favorites so far. Nep Heart's understanding of fighting games as well as good balance translate to a very solid character with few flaws I can immediately notice. His decision to incorporate cooldowns, power cost, and other complex features to her system shows a fine attention detail. The readme is comprehensive enough to understand the character just from reading, but I definitely reccommend giving this character a go and experiencing it for yourself, you may find its one of the stronger if not the strongest of the lot.

I will give Sayaka a 9/10.

We continue with Gordeau by @OHMSBY:

Gordeau is from the Under Night series, but also appeared in Blazblue Cross Tag, which is what this version is largely based off. However, the gameplay style is still described as custom, so source accuracy is not the goal here. Which is good, as I have pretty much no interest in the Blazblue series and probably could not give you a reliable judgment on its accuracy. Gordeau himself is some grimdark clown with a giant scythe, and some of his moves cover most of the screen, which apparently has made very good in Cross Tag, and it definitely makes him very good in a general MUGEN environment. He's a bit on the larger side (16 mb) but nowhere near some of the unoptimized monstrosities we have gotten in the past.

Now I know its basically like this in source, but the red clsn on his attacks can be absolutely enormous, so characters without evasive tech won't be able to get close to him. Basically, if you don't have really fast horizontal movement, he's too fast to punish even with longer recovery times. I think his design in source is rather lazy and anti-fun, and unfortunately I do not find him fun here, and I think the ridiculous hitboxes contribute to that despite how long the recovery is. I can't really fault OHMSBY for this, but since its a custom character, I think he could stand to add more blue clsn to the weapon attacks so he is more punishable. There is certainly precedence for blue clsn on weapon attacks, such as is the case with Billy Kane in KOF and Falke in SFV. Otherwise, this character is rather well put together.

I don't personally see the appeal of this character but I think the tech behind it is what qualifies it as a COTM nominee and potential winner. I think it is commendable to be able to code a system that approximates the complexity of an ArcSys game. My score reflects my discontent with the source material and some balance that could be addressed in a custom format, but still acknowledges the skill behind this character.

I will give Gordeau an 8/10.

Now we move on to Ingrid by @Hakase:

Ingrid has currently only appeared in Capcom Fighting Jam and SFA3: MAX, but she is one of the more hyped up women of the Street Fighter mythos. A lot of people don't really like her, but I think her design is pretty neat. This version by DeathScythe is clearly inspired by PoTS, one of the premier creators in MUGEN history and architect of a style that has been adapted into many different variations and many different characters. This version has access to both Custom Combo and MAX Mode, as well as EX attacks. She also has dodges, dashes, a run, different jumps, rolls, parries, power charge, fall recovery and a counter. This bloat is typical of PoTS style releases, and though I don't see the point of having all of it at once, its something thats easy to get used to after awhile.

I've not really much to say about Ingrid though. I think this style of gameplay, even though heavily influenced by CVS, is rather dry to me. Or rather, it does not leave me with a lot of interesting things to say about the character. Some of the CLSN placement is a little weird but not worth getting into in a short form review such as this. The same goes for frame data- I think Ingrid's frame advantage (or disadvantage) should be tweaked to be more consistent, which is something I'm gong to pay a lot more attention to on a release like this. I think she is still fun enough to play, and she is by no means a bad release, just a bit bland for my tastes. In a fullgame environment, I think I'd like her better.

Given that I don't have much to say, I will end this one on the note that I don't think people who choose to code like PoTS automatically demerits their character, some silly people will say its too same-y or whatever, but you should code however you like. I will also say that what made PoTS releases so good was his attention to details of the source game, and you can always benefit from research and examination of sources games, it will make your characters much more fluid. Ingrid is a rarer character, but I can easily access her source games nowadays, and I would want her to somewhat approximate the gameplay she has in those games. From what I am viewing, DeathScythe has done a pretty okay job here. It is one of the more consistent releases in this style, that hasn't been made by the originator himself.

I will give Ingrid a 7/10.

Our next release will be Venom by DarkLuigi, edited by @Mr.Giang:

Here's another edit released by Mr. Giang, this time it's Venom from Spiderman. Everything I said before about Crashman, and Mr. Giang, applies here. That is, its an edit that overhauls an existing character with subpar coding to new standards, incorporating 1.1 and the UNO Tag System. The same thing I said about all of that also applies, I don't use 1.1 or Uno, but I will at least test it at 1.1 as intended. A 1.0 version of this Venom exists too. Of the three Giang edits in the running, this is the most straightforward release of the set, as its based off a character whos been in a lot of existing fighting games and thus has a lot of precedence for its design. Venom on his own was always a cool character in MVC, and Giang was faithful to him imo. Giang tried to emulate MVC:I's gameplay physics and mostly did some gameplay balances and tweaks.

Otherwise, this is really just another Venom, and I appreciate all the cool features Mr. Giang threw in here. Again, I can't fully appreciate it cause it was built for the Tag system and such, but a cursory look at all the updates Giang has done for it conveys how well done the character is. Notably, he chose to use the MVC:I voice for Venom, which I personally thinks sound like ass, but he also included a sound pack for people who don't like it. As a standard MVC-esque character, this hits all the right buttons for me and I think its more ambitious than Crashman was.

The incorporation of various Venoms from source games and MUGEN alike is an especially nice point. Even if its not the most drastically changed of his edits, I like this one for what it sets out to accomplish and its success at that. I don't have much else to say about it, unfortunately.

I will give Venom a 7/10.

Now its time for Scarecrow by @Dope:, NinjaBrl, Mistah Jorge, and armin_iuf; edited by, you guessed it, @Mr.Giang:

This one has a lot of names attached to it, but Mr. Giang is again the mastermind behind its revamped gameplay system. This is probably my favorite release of his. Again, everything about his characters and design ethic applies. Released in time for Halloween, this (what appears to be frankensprited) Scarecrow boasts the most interesting and fun gameplay of the three edits. Of course, the spritework should be credited to the original creators, so I won't really factor it in to my score, but what Giang did with the character is pretty fantastic. A totally reworked moveset featuring Injustice 2 moves, and a passive trait system called Fear. The Fear meter is filled by using Fear Gas related attacks, and once full allows Scarecrow access to a powerful super move. He can also apply Fear Status to opponents, which causes them to be attacked by crows they are hallucinating. The inclusion of these passive features demonstrates a good grasp of coding prowess as well as out of the box thinking, and puts the character on a different level than before, which was kinda janky.

According to Mr. Giang, many previous hypers were converted to special moves, and it is Scarecrow's special moves that I really enjoy about this character. Whether its using a flamethrower or throwing down a puddle that inflicts damage over time, the creative design choices behind this character reflect Mr. Giang making this character his own in a way the other two edits did not. With Scarecrow, it really feels like I'm playing an entirely new interpretation of an older character. The sheer creativity of the edit makes it a very strong contender, the strongest of Giang's 3 entries and one of the strongest in the running for COTM. There are few major flaws with the character, besides the concept of a full screen attack as the fear meter payoff (which I personally do not find as creative as the concept of the Fear gauge) and a pretty strict damage dampener. It's also a shame the UNO Tag system must be used to fully enjoy the character. Probably the biggest issue it has is the spritework, which is awkward, but this isn't the fault of Mr. Giang.

This character is a very solid pick for COTM. It feels like a new character even though it is an edit. It has some of the most interesting ideas of the pack, and they are very well executed. Barring compatibility issues with 1.0 and non-Uno Tag System builds, its definitely the best Scarecrow in MUGEN and one of the more inventive comic book characters.  I hope to see more like this from Mr. Giang in the future.

I'll give Scarecrow a 9/10.

Finally, we have 2B by @Betalille:

2B is the blindfolded anime babe from Nier: Automata. The spritework for this character is by 九鬼. She has some rather nice sprites, but they are missing some keyframes which results in stilted, jittery animation. Also, she has a disappointing lack of palettes, which makes mirror matches extremely annoying. She is a 6 button character with a whopping 15 special moves and 10 super moves, as well as one hyper move. I'll be upfront about this one. While it's pretty to look at, I don't really like the way she plays. The stilted animation is a factor, but this isn't Betalille's fault. However, the gameplay leaves much to be desired. Nearly every basic is unsafe on block (also most of her attacks force Stupa's Training to crouch block for some reason.) The CLSN placement needs major work especially for the weapon attacks. Some of that stuff is Gordeau level. There are some coding issues as well, such as when she performs supers, the screen begins to darken even on whiff and block. Most of all, I honestly think she has too much stuff.  Most of her special and super moves look similar, so she could definitely be streamlined. The damage on some of her supers is negligible as well.

This is a character that feels like it is very much in a beta state, so I am not sure why it is in the running for COTM. It's got the makings, or the start, of something great. It will need fixed coding for sure, and maybe one day some spriting completions for her animations. Unfortunately, the way she plays and feels is very rudimentary and unfinished. It feels almost dated. Though she has nice effects and a cool concept with her cancel moves costing 500 power for combo extensions I would not personally recommend voting for this one for COTM.

One thing that should be said is that it looks like a lot of hard work was put into this character. I appreciate that and think that with dedication and care this could be something much greater. I look forward to updates to 2B in the future.

I will give 2B a 3/10.

This concludes my roundup of the October 2018 COTM nominees. Who are you voting for? Who would you like to see me review next? As always, leave suggestions, discussion and feedback in this thread. I love reading your comments. Until next time!
Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:36:23 am by Umezono
#202  December 03, 2018, 04:56:40 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
I guess it's good that we dropped the update when we did, I didn't even realize this was going on lol. Yeah the sounds are back in all areas and he was nerfed quite a bit etc etc. I don't have a full patch notes anywhere really I probably should start doing that.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#203  December 03, 2018, 05:00:03 pm
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam
Ah, I can see you really put efforts and time into this review (especially when 30% of the nominees are from mine). Not sure about other nominees but I'm wholeheartedly agree with you about Sayaka, Asterix and 2B (Sayaka is quite great, Asterix is actually my whole childhood but the nostalgia isn't strong enough for me to really like him as a solid character and I'm quite glad that I'm not the only one who thinks 2B seems unfinished). Also, I'm really amazed that you scored my edits so accuratedly to the amount of efforts I put into them. Crashman and Venom took me 1 coding day to finish him as I was sorta rush on them to make them work in my roster as my sister just beat Rockman 2 and I just want to make him available in my roster as soon as possible, same goes with Venom. Meanwhile, it took me 3 days of studying Scarecrow from various sources and another 3 days to code him. That explained why there was such a huge gap of quality between my edits. That being said, I have taken note of the remaining problems you point out with my edits and I will deal with them soon.
Also, FYI, not all of my edits are 1.1 (Scarecrow can work in 1.0) and 1.0 versions of my edits are still not recommended as they will rarely receive updates from me (unless it's a major change like new mechanism, new hypers, huge bugfixes,... I won't update things like frame data, sfx,...).
Edit: I knew I should have given the Fear Meter more use (I was afraid of making him too confusing as in Injustice 2, his Fear Meter only has a similar use to this one), that's why I have updated my Scarecrow to be able to have a secondary use (teleport cancel) with his Fear Meter :P.
Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:04:36 pm by Mr.Giang
#204  December 03, 2018, 10:31:35 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
Yeah that's me doing Castle's voice, it was meant to be a placeholder but during the two months or so it took me to sprite him I couldn't find a good VA for him. If I do I will definitely update because that accent is definitely not my wheelhouse, lol

Download Last Bout now!
#205  December 03, 2018, 11:52:15 pm
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Who would you like to see me review next?

Given MUGEN's massive number of characters, I'm not sure it's possible to give an answer that isn't biased in some way.  So perhaps the best way is to just leave it all up to you.  Who do YOU want to review next?
#206  December 04, 2018, 12:34:10 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I honestly never really thought I'd get my first creation nominated, let alone reviewed, so, it's actually pretty impressive to read through this review. Seems all that character editing I've done prior to doing Sayaka and the beta testing that she has been getting late into her creation stage really all paid off in the end.
#207  December 04, 2018, 12:58:45 am
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
I do not understand about Ingrid is the lack of a throw, even though she has an air throw. There is no throw on the readme, and nothing I do on the ground seems to work.

Hm...according to Ingrid's readme file:

NORMAL:

Suncrack:                 B or F + 2p
Light Punish:         B or F + 2k
Air Throw:         B or F + 2k (during angled jump)

I'm pretty sure they worked pretty well.

BTW, nice to see you're back with your reviews :)

Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:02:09 am by sabockee
#208  December 04, 2018, 08:13:00 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I do not understand about Ingrid is the lack of a throw, even though she has an air throw. There is no throw on the readme, and nothing I do on the ground seems to work.

Hm...according to Ingrid's readme file:

NORMAL:

Suncrack:                 B or F + 2p
Light Punish:         B or F + 2k
Air Throw:         B or F + 2k (during angled jump)

I'm pretty sure they worked pretty well.

BTW, nice to see you're back with your reviews :)

Dang! I glossed over this on the readme cause I was just looking for throw. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm gonna fix the review asap.

Who would you like to see me review next?

Given MUGEN's massive number of characters, I'm not sure it's possible to give an answer that isn't biased in some way.  So perhaps the best way is to just leave it all up to you.  Who do YOU want to review next?

I'm not sure where to begin, for the same reason you just listed. I think I am most at home reviewing characters with custom systems though.

Either way, I'm down to review anything! Please feel free to request, biased or not.
Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:36:51 am by Umezono
#209  December 04, 2018, 10:09:51 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Gosh, I'm just so tempted to do so.  And then everyone else follows suit, and soon the thread is full of nothing but requests.  So I dunno.

I have a different suggestion, then.  I think you have something going here with this CotM review thing, so how about reviewing the other CotMs as well?  Like September or January or even ones from last year or the year before?  And when November happens, how about that too?
#210  December 04, 2018, 10:48:23 am
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Reviewing the contestants from previous CoTM sounds like a good idea.
#211  December 04, 2018, 11:53:32 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I've searched for frame data to make it more consistent and close to the originals, but couldn't find a way to do so. I did it with my R. Mika, her CLSN are all close to the ones in SFA3, if I could find Ingrid's frame data, I'd have done the same. I'll use your review to make more consistent and fun to play characters in the future.

I have two questions:
1. where can I find frame data, hitboxes, etc. for (insert game here)?
2. how can I mention someone like you did? lol

Edit: also, the whole point that made me want to create Ingrid was the fact that I couldn't find a PotS style Ingrid with hires effects + good A.I (not counting Sennou Room's because her gameplay isn't much CvS), and that's exactly what I did, I edited all of her effects and sparks, and made an A.I.
Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:04:00 pm by Hakase
#212  December 04, 2018, 12:11:49 pm
    • Morocco
#213  December 04, 2018, 12:20:56 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I've searched for frame data to make it more consistent and close to the originals, but couldn't find a way to do so. I did it with my R. Mika, her CLSN are all close to the ones in SFA3, if I could find Ingrid's frame data, I'd have done the same. I'll use your review to make more consistent and fun to play characters in the future.

I have two questions:
1. where can I find frame data, hitboxes, etc. for (insert game here)?
2. how can I mention someone like you did? lol

Edit: also, the whole point that made me want to create Ingrid was the fact that I couldn't find a PotS style Ingrid with hires effects + good A.I (not counting Sennou Room's because her gameplay isn't much CvS), and that's exactly what I did, I edited all of her effects and sparks, and made an A.I.
Thanks for your questions. First off, I think I came off the wrong way when I say "its easy to access her source games." I think maybe I'm coming off as "its easy to deconstruct her appearances in source and make her accurate." To my understanding, that is a very devoted, complex and time consuming thing. I think what you said about R. Mika is already going above and beyond what most people do (which is, just wing it lol). I think I moreso meant, accessing these games to play them for yourself, or at least watch them closely, so you can get a real feel for the character. Digging into source games with cheat engine to get accurate vels is great but its not for everyone.

But you're in luck as far as a CLSN viewer goes. Jesuszilla released a lua script that allows you to view CFJ hitboxes, https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/cvs2-cfj-hitbox-viewer-data-tool-for-pcsx2-1-2-1-r5875/176539

Frame data is a little more complicated, because games that havent already compiled tables for it would need to dig in with cheatengine or artmoney. If you wanted to at least approximate based on similar characters, cvs2 frame data was discovered by people in the fgc, theres some stuff here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B72SuuBFI4tEZ05LR0NPbmFWNlE and I think more exists in Google. Not sure abot CFJ, I will do some digging later.

I think your Ingrid's quite nice, and like I said its a lot more consistent than many imitations of the style!

Also, there is a easier way to tag people, provided you spell the username correctly.

Placing the username between an @ and a colon will automatically tag the user.

Reviewing the contestants from previous CoTM sounds like a good idea.

Gosh, I'm just so tempted to do so.  And then everyone else follows suit, and soon the thread is full of nothing but requests.  So I dunno.

I have a different suggestion, then.  I think you have something going here with this CotM review thing, so how about reviewing the other CotMs as well?  Like September or January or even ones from last year or the year before?  And when November happens, how about that too?

Sure, I could look into doing that! They actually take about the same time, give or take, as a long form review of a solo character, so I am not opposed to doing it. I still would like to do solo characters, and I am not opposed to getting a lot of requests, so if you ever feel like requesting go ahead.

Thanks for all the kind words here and on Discord, everyone.
Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:53:27 pm by Umezono
#214  December 04, 2018, 12:35:58 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Thanks for the reply and comments, I saw some of JZ's tools, I even downloaded the CLSN viewer for CvS2, but I didn't test it yet (and the two characters I made were not in CvS2, so I didn't need it back then). Definitely will use these tools in the future. :)
#215  December 14, 2018, 09:08:35 am
  • The Best of Both Worlds
  • SuperStar
Hello everybody.
I like the candidates -Venom,Scarecrow,Sonic,Castle is hard to pic one, I would toss a coin to vote for- and I wish the best to see 2B updates,looks promising, not an anime fan but I like the character.
About the filter I experimented with it as I did with Obelix,,I planned to use the filter again but I dunno if in a non very big character apply it, resize or keep small size as I did with Miley Stewart and Tintin. Hmmp.

#216  April 01, 2019, 07:19:30 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
If you point or link me to April Fools releases, I will download them all and review them

Thanks
#217  April 01, 2019, 08:12:55 pm
#218  April 01, 2019, 08:27:08 pm
Feel free to use my account:
Username: GTAguy
Password: imanigger
#219  April 01, 2019, 08:42:50 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#220  April 01, 2019, 09:05:19 pm
  • YOU WILL BE UPGRADED
  • YOU WILL BE LIKE US
Reviews for AF chars?? Cool, I want to read'em :D