YesNoOk

Yamcha (Read 548144 times)

Started by xxxx, November 20, 2016, 11:35:33 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Yamcha
#341  September 23, 2017, 09:24:20 pm
Yamcha I believe meant to be a kinda parody of most anime heroes at the time. The whole long hair, scar on his cheek, good looks, hot headed attitude. So the humor needs to be there in some way I feel.
#342  September 23, 2017, 10:21:33 pm
  • I'm a llama!

Very good work here's some inspiration with this and the new Yamcha alternate story its looking like the year of Yamcha.
#343  September 24, 2017, 01:38:03 am
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
@Alpha Proto:

Yamcha is awesome. I don't want him to look like a joke.  Make Yamcha great again!

Yamcha has always had a confidence about him. He knows when he is out matched, but this is MUGEN where everyone has a shot at winning.

He... kinda is a joke in Dragonball. For example, in his debut, he had a knack for freaking out around girls because he's very socially inept. In DBZ, his role was basically "dude that gets beat up or killed to make someone else rage and get really strong." And this is coming from the dude that is coding Krillin in HDBZ and previously coded Mr. Satan.

Speaking of Mr. Satan, there's no doubt he is super confident in his strength and as a major Earth celebrity, but no one would say he's particularly competent at anything except for... well indirectly helping other dudes save the day

EDIT: The point of all this is that ignoring some of the humor and stupidness all the charactere have done is ignoring a huge part of what makes Dragonball be... well, Dragonball.

Also @Odb718: hell yes

considering the almost entirety of OG dragon ball everything is comedic centric ON PURPOSE is very disingenous to say that he was a joke character, everyone in db had their comedics moments, now in dbz, he wasn't a joke character either, it was mostly situational humor from there on mostly besides krillin being more of the gag character there, unless you're referring to the horrible english dub or super were they made everyones personalities caricatures of themselves then yeah maybe.
I wanna have humor, but I'm not making him a joke character either so just wait and see.
edit: to add to that, almost everyones roles in dbz was getting beat up to cause tention

@AiRiC: nice, I'm liking his moveset so far there, to add on that I don't like the yamcha manga at all besides the art.

btw guys, HQ joined to me to work on yamcha be sure that WE ARE GOING TO MAKE YAMCHA GREAT AGAIN!
Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:41:59 am by balmsold
#344  September 24, 2017, 06:11:46 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
unless you're referring to the horrible english dub or super were they made everyones personalities caricatures of themselves then yeah maybe.
I've only ever watched DB in Japanese but okay
#345  September 28, 2017, 11:10:38 am
    • Spain
Yamcha looks soooo good. Thanks for bringing him to Mugen.

I think he was a main character in DB, probably weaker than others but he has great moments. In DBZ he has little to do against the alien or cyborg menaces, just like other humans. The strenght of the rival has always increased in every saga and Yamcha was one of the firsts, so we can't ask him too much (although ... now I think, it would be cool to see how envy corrupts him and moves him to make a deal with some evil entity or upgrade his body as a cyborg and tries to conquer some country, wouldn't it?).

Reading your intro suggestions, I have imagined one dressed as a baseball player, hitting a ball and yawning boring or something similar.

Good luck!
#346  September 29, 2017, 11:07:01 am
When I clicked on this Yamcha thread I ended up killing him.
#347  September 29, 2017, 07:46:30 pm
  • Hate is just confused admiration.
    • USA

Ok, even i have to say that's not needed. This thread is full of this. Balm, you have really improved, the animations are looking great. I think you're doing a good job of mixing up the moves for him as well. People seem to be concerned that you're going to make Yamcha different or leave out aspects of his character. I've made a few cracks about Yamcha myself but i trust you will do right by him as a fan, especially with HQ and others on board as well. Honestly, him and Krillin and some of the most realistic characters when we think about how most of us would act in their place. I am more upset that Toriyama decided he didn't want to at least bring him full circle. Yamcha was brash, comic relief, some times a joke but he was also brave and kept trying despite his flaws. It would have been nice if he carried over his character more from dragonball to z or at least kept fighting. That was what was kind of endearing about Yamcha. No matter how many times he failed and looked silly doing so, he kept at it.
It's all the same in the end, matter and motion, simple or complex. No difference, finally. Death, transfiguration. Ashes to ashes and slime to slime, amen.

#348  October 04, 2017, 02:33:22 pm

Ok, even i have to say that's not needed. This thread is full of this. Balm, you have really improved, the animations are looking great. I think you're doing a good job of mixing up the moves for him as well. People seem to be concerned that you're going to make Yamcha different or leave out aspects of his character. I've made a few cracks about Yamcha myself but i trust you will do right by him as a fan, especially with HQ and others on board as well. Honestly, him and Krillin and some of the most realistic characters when we think about how most of us would act in their place. I am more upset that Toriyama decided he didn't want to at least bring him full circle. Yamcha was brash, comic relief, some times a joke but he was also brave and kept trying despite his flaws. It would have been nice if he carried over his character more from dragonball to z or at least kept fighting. That was what was kind of endearing about Yamcha. No matter how many times he failed and looked silly doing so, he kept at it.

Yamcha didn't fail, he let others believe he did. One video can prove this. Search "Yamcha vs Olibu" and see how he one-shots him. Now keep in mind Olibu is on par with Pikkon who was on par with SSJ Goku. This alone is proof that Yamcha is actually the master of deception. He makes you believe he sucks only to surprise you with his amazing power. Let's not forget who had the balls to slap Beerus's back and actually hurt him and make him fall forward a bit. Thank God Yamcha was suppressed otherwise Beerus and the Kaioshin would have died.
#349  October 04, 2017, 05:50:47 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
lol, thanks for those words, hate, let the dude say whatever he wants, as if that has an impact on the development

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#350  October 04, 2017, 06:18:58 pm
    • margarine.knife@gmail.com
That sword animation, like everything else in this topic, is amazing. I am totally psyched for this character.

As far as the debate on Yamcha being a champ or chump, just remember that even when he's winning, he's still pretty goofy and cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtCpUh0XD4

I know it's easy to see all the people making fun of a character you like and then go in completely the other direction out of spite, but it's not accurate to have him be a mega badass either. Yamcha isn't Mr. Satan, but he isn't Vegeta either. He's kind of in the middle. I hope you guys incorporate a little bit of his corny side into the character. He needs a "Cat loves food"! That kind of stuff makes him lovable.
#351  October 04, 2017, 07:05:49 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
of course we'll have the humor there, I said this from time to time again several times on the thread already,I'm not going on the other direction out of spite I'm just gonna be doing things differently, but I'm putting all the humor once I'm done with the important part,which is the gameplay of course, humor isn't a priority for me now, gameplay first humor 2nd, I'll have plenty to toy around later on, once that is done.

just trust me, I did an insane amount of research once I was working on Frank west and so I'm doing with Yamcha.
Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:35:03 pm by balmsold
#352  October 04, 2017, 07:22:10 pm
    • margarine.knife@gmail.com
I trust you! Keep up the good work, dude.
#353  October 05, 2017, 01:11:05 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I think I'm noticing a trend for Yamcha and it should help his game play a bit. A few of your attacks seem to edge a little closer to the target. Hopefully it'll keep P2 closer so they can't try to zone him out.
Totally digging the sword animation.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#354  October 05, 2017, 01:32:15 am
    • USA
    • Skype - iamvictorrios
The animation looks good, but does it really need 18 frames?
It doesn't seem practical for gameplay.
It reminds me of the conference the animation director for Skullgirls had about favoring your keys.

I would recommend watching the entire video, but if not check these parts. 3:50-4:36, 11:30-12:40, 15:20-19:00

I cut the animation from 18 frames down to 12 frames and changed the timing on the start up and finish.
Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:42:53 am by Alpha Proto
#355  October 05, 2017, 02:44:24 am
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
thanks! yeah I was planning on trimming down some frames, forgot to say that rui lui made it, he loves to make things as smooth as possible
I'll keep this one in mind tho
#356  October 05, 2017, 03:59:43 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
The smooth head look up part at the end should stay 100%. It adds to it a lot.
I like how smooth it is. It's just about what you do with your tics is all. There's no reason you can't have the same feel just smoother.
If you think the smooth one lacks force or weight, you'd add ground shake and delay the head look up after the shake.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#357  October 08, 2017, 11:35:39 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
another wip animation from rui lui this time for the crouch HK, he is gonna add more weight to it later on

#358  October 09, 2017, 05:05:56 am
    • USA
yamcha has been my favorite since i was in middle school. Im glad to see your passion on this project. I just kinda wish ppl would let you do your thing and stop trying to sway you to either side. Frank west was one of the best mugen characters in a long while so i pretty much expect the same quality for yamcha. Keep up the great work
#359  October 09, 2017, 02:19:21 pm
Hey so out of curiosity, are you drawing the sprites on paper or are you using some sort of tablet?
#360  October 09, 2017, 09:01:06 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
yes, I use a wacom tablet to animate and sprite everything you see here :)