YesNoOk

Hi, newb here, some questions before I start reading FAQs (Read 2540 times)

Started by the_importer, January 14, 2008, 05:59:01 am
Share this topic:
Hi, newb here, some questions before I start reading FAQs
#1  January 14, 2008, 05:59:01 am
OK, I've been putting this up for years now, but I would finally start doing it, the Ultimate KoF and SF cross over. How Ultimate, well let me put it this way, I would like to include every characters from Street Fighter Zero 3, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike and most characters (excluding bosses) from KoF 94 to 2003.

That would be around 128 characters. Now if I can't do the game with everything I have in mind, I won't bother, but if I can, I'll go for it. Please answer the following questions to your best of knowledge and note that if one of the earlier questions gets a "NO", then you can just stop answering:

1- Would I be able to include that many characters and if so, which version of Mugen (clone) should I use?

2- If yes to the previous question, would I be able to create teams of 4 like in KoF 99~2001 and would the  computer only choose predetermined teams like in any KoF games?

3- If yes to the previous question, are most of the characters from the games I've mentioned have already been dumped on the Internet?

4- Would I be able to make a mode where SNK characters would only fight Capcom characters controlled by the CPU and vice-versa? If not, can I at lease avoid Mirror Matches?

5- Is it possible to link a specific stage and music to a specific team?

6- Will the character that I download be tied the whatever moves they were programed with or will I be able to add and remove some?

7- Also, what about the # buttons? SF requires 6 buttons while KoF requires 4, will the game allow mix and match or will I have to settle for 6 or 4?

8- Would special animation be possible before two characters start the fight (like we often see in KoF and SF)?

9- Can Mugen or any of it's clones support VSYNC and Filters (i.e. Super2XSai)

That's all I can think for now, thank you for your time.
Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:04:32 am by the_importer
Re: Hi, newb here, some questions before I start reading FAQs
#2  January 14, 2008, 06:09:34 am
  • My college nickname was bi pod
1.- Get a screenpack. (Google it)

2.- No.

3.- Most of KOF and SF: 3d Impact are out there. (Google them)

4.- You can do that with the order settings. (Read the docs)

5.- Not for the teams, but for a single character matchs.

6.- They are tied unless you code more moves and add more sprites in the .sff

7.- It depends of the character creator, there are 6 buttons KOF chars out there.

8.- It must be coded inside the character.

9.- It has 4 modes of filters, it's all explained in the mugen.cfg inside the "mugen/data" folder.
Welcome to Alu's world !! :D

#3  January 14, 2008, 06:35:24 am
1.- Get a screenpack. (Google it)

2.- No.

3.- Most of KOF and SF: 3d Impact are out there. (Google them)

4.- You can do that with the order settings. (Read the docs)

5.- Not for the teams, but for a single character matchs.

6.- They are tied unless you code more moves and add more sprites in the .sff

7.- It depends of the character creator, there are 6 buttons KOF chars out there.

8.- It must be coded inside the character.

9.- It has 4 modes of filters, it's all explained in the mugen.cfg inside the "mugen/data" folder.

Well it seems that we have a team issue here. So is it that you can't do teams of members, or simply that you can't do any teams at all?
#4  January 14, 2008, 04:02:30 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
4) You cannot make such a mode. You cannot rule out mirror matches (Ryu versus Ryu) either.

It is possible to write a selection screen where you can only select (reach) Capcom characters, with all of the SNK character unreachable. Then you could assign order = 0 to all Capcom characters so you would only ever face SNK characters while playing Arcade mode.

You could write another select screen that does the same with reversed roles. You cannot put this in one configuration; you would have to start MUGEN with the configuration you want to play.

5) You can assign music to a stage. You can assign a stage to one or more characters.

You cannot pre-define teams in MUGEN through configuration. The player is allowed to build his own team each time he can select multiple characters.

6) You can theoretically do whatever you want to with MUGEN content. Disabling existing moves is easy. Making new ones requires that you... make them, all the way. Define animations consisting of sprites, assign a command, program what happens, everything.

7) Each character could use up to 7 buttons; how many and how they are used is defined in each character and not limited by the engine.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#5  January 15, 2008, 03:39:31 am
4) You cannot make such a mode. You cannot rule out mirror matches (Ryu versus Ryu) either.

It is possible to write a selection screen where you can only select (reach) Capcom characters, with all of the SNK character unreachable. Then you could assign order = 0 to all Capcom characters so you would only ever face SNK characters while playing Arcade mode.

You could write another select screen that does the same with reversed roles. You cannot put this in one configuration; you would have to start MUGEN with the configuration you want to play.

5) You can assign music to a stage. You can assign a stage to one or more characters.

You cannot pre-define teams in MUGEN through configuration. The player is allowed to build his own team each time he can select multiple characters.

6) You can theoretically do whatever you want to with MUGEN content. Disabling existing moves is easy. Making new ones requires that you... make them, all the way. Define animations consisting of sprites, assign a command, program what happens, everything.

7) Each character could use up to 7 buttons; how many and how they are used is defined in each character and not limited by the engine.

Thank you. Anything to add regarding questions 1 to 3 ?
#6  January 15, 2008, 05:39:24 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
1- Would I be able to include that many characters and if so, which version of Mugen (clone) should I use?

As many as you like.

2- If yes to the previous question, would I be able to create teams of 4 like in KoF 99~2001 and would the  computer only choose predetermined teams like in any KoF games?

See the previous answers regarding teams: no.

3- If yes to the previous question, are most of the characters from the games I've mentioned have already been dumped on the Internet?

Characters for MUGEN exist in great numbers, especially from SF and KOF. Their quality varies. You will not find enough characters of equal quality to put in "your" game like you probably want.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#7  January 16, 2008, 12:21:58 am
Well if it's impossible to make teams (strange considering that most fighting games have been like that for the last 13 years), guess it's kind of pointless to even start this project.

Thanks anyway