YesNoOk

Mugen Character Funding  (Read 16551 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, November 13, 2013, 09:09:38 am
Share this topic:
Mugen Character Funding
#1  November 13, 2013, 09:09:38 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Hi,

those among you who read my 2 comments in the poll about a character getting the honor to be done by Sean as a commissioned work know that i wanted the Tekken character Bryan Fury getting done and i offered to add a handful bucks if he would win the poll or would be done still after Batman won.

This, and seeing that not everyone liked the poll result just gave me a short thought which could work maybe.

We are many people here, and many people have even more many opinions and characters they would love to get done by those among us who have the talent and are offering to work for the people who want specific characters.

But as much as you might like to see a cool version of the Punisher, Earthworm Jim or Bryan Fury, not everyone of us has 50, 100 or 200 bucks to pay the price.

So how about getting a thread together were people can make suggestions who should be sprized /coded and by who + offer to donate  - as example - 10 bucks of the - as example - 100 needed to make the character possible.

Basically something like a mini kickstarter for mugen characters.

It is a slightly different world but i did something like that for fan art of game characters getting commissioned by professional artists through small teams of fans who wanted to see that character drawn by a specific artist via deviantart. I made good experiences there.

Since 20 other people beside me voted for Bryan Fury from Tekken getting done by Sean. who else here would donate as example 5 or 10 dollars to make that possible?
Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:04:36 am by Germanbaraka667
Re: Maybe something like a donation pool?
#2  November 13, 2013, 09:17:20 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
I'd donate so Bryan would never be made.

Yeah it sucks but whatever, let it go. Maybe we could raise money so he could do someone else later next year but for now. just let it be man. Also I think it's fair we let them do someone they want really, if this does become a reality then I'm sure Sean would be bummed out he couldn't do the Dark Knight and he probably wouldn't put his all into this new character as perhaps he'd lose some motivation. I say just let him be and let them have fun with it.
#3  November 13, 2013, 09:21:21 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Oh, i didnt mean for now of course, Sean does Batman and thats great and all. Bryan was meant as an example case and nothing needs to be done now, in the next days or next weeks. This was not meant to get Bryan done now at any costs. I just wanted to discuss the idea of multiple of us coming together and make a commission for a character possible, be it Bryan, Bruce, Brian Battler or Maya the Bee
#4  November 13, 2013, 09:24:29 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Hmm I see. Well maybe we could see if some spriters might be up for the idea. We have some talented artists here, maybe some might be open to this donation pool, although I figure the same conflicts could come from this issue, not everyone gets a favorite but I suppose with donating you'll donate to a particular character you know. From what I've seen I think Sean is gonna have his hands full for a while so I think seeing if others are interested in it might be nice, make sheets and then see who wants to code it possibly.
#5  November 13, 2013, 06:10:28 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Yup.

Now after a half day without a reaction, i guess there are not many people interested to commission someone for a good character. Even if it could be done with 3 ,5,10 dollars.

#6  November 13, 2013, 06:14:30 pm
  • i will meditate and then write a really epic post
  • jai ho
    • Skype - executivepetrel
    • kawaiikings.net
If itll help the scene stay afloat Ill donate to any character

If this happens hit me up ill see how I can help
youtube
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬♥๑۩۩๑♥▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
Put this on the profile of people who are known/wanted terrorists
that were involved in the September 11th attacks in 2001
- courtesy of Iced
#7  November 13, 2013, 06:22:39 pm
  • I'm not pushing you away,
  • I'm pulling *me* towards myself!
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
CvS Mature? CvS Mature!

CVS MATURE!!! :yeses:
#8  November 13, 2013, 06:25:52 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Thats the spirit. Sometimes, a small donation can change a landscape if enough people are on board.

Okay, i will just throw in exactly 15 euro, for whatever character would get funded by at least 5 different people

How much would you throw in the for now virtual pot @ Umezono?

@JM are you serious? If yes, the question above is adressed at you at well.

Who are Mugen creators offering to take commissions beside Sean?

DW

#9  November 13, 2013, 06:27:12 pm
  • TM87
  • I require what I desire.
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I'd be happy to pitch in 5-10 dollars for a commission. It'd have to be something I myself would want done of course, but sure, I'm all for it.
#10  November 13, 2013, 06:33:13 pm
i already brought up pooling up resources in felo's commissions thread
http://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.1860990

the main issue i see right now is that you've got a lot of people saying "yeah i'd toss in some bucks buddy!" and then nothing happens. nobody knows what's going on, how much money has been collected, whatever. some way of keeping track of the collected amount of money would be helpful and could get more users to throw money in.

of course you've then got to consider the legality of this, but since it's just people putting together money to commission someone to make a thing that will be made available for free, i don't think there should be much of an issue.
#11  November 13, 2013, 06:41:41 pm
  • I'm not pushing you away,
  • I'm pulling *me* towards myself!
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

DW

#12  November 13, 2013, 06:46:08 pm
  • TM87
  • I require what I desire.
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
^That's for Mature though mind you. I'm don't really want to do anything for Mature.
Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:51:51 pm by Alucart
#13  November 13, 2013, 06:47:17 pm
i'd like to add that i see kickstarters for terrible shit get a lot of money and the first thing i think about is "JESUS CHRIST IMAGINE HOW MANY SPRITES YOU COULD COMMISSION WITH THAT MONEY"
#14  November 13, 2013, 06:48:59 pm
  • jai ho
    • kawaiikings.net
Well I'm obviously not going to throw anything until something legitimate is set up as per Titiln pointed out. But I am down to throw in something like 10-15 dollars, maybe 20 depending on the character. I don't want to go higher because of the risk factor.
youtube
- courtesy of Iced
#15  November 13, 2013, 06:49:54 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Good point Tiltin, i thought about it too.

To make it pretty safe that there are not just people saying "i throw in x amount" a paypal account for the cause makes sense where people have to donate the money they want to donate to once a certain amount of money came together.

Years ago i "worked" for a group of game rippers and got donations together for old french, german, japanese playstation 1 games to buy them from ebay etc. and rip a few informations and content out of them which were used for a database.

I made a paypal account for that and everytime someone donated to it i added the information to the first post of a forum thread to ensure transparency for everyone and also wrote up where i bought games and for what prices to make sure everyone knows what happend to his money.
Those were not 5 or 10 bucks donated but much bigger donations in the three and four digits.

I know my reputation here as (shit)poster is not the highest but you can find my real name online, even my real life adress is not hard to find and i would offer to take care of donations for one character commission , and see how it would go

@JM really? is there something special about Mature with CVS looking sprites and gameplay? And are you not one of the guys who could create the character by yourself ?

@Tiltin#2
Meh. Stop making me agreeing to you multiple times at a day...thats not good for my health.
#16  November 13, 2013, 06:55:02 pm
i think the donations in this case should go straight to the spriter, who should show update the amount of received money often. i don't think a middleman is necessary (unless the spriter can't use paypal or other common ways of payment, and the middleman can work with paypal and uncommon ways of payment)
#17  November 13, 2013, 06:57:20 pm
  • jai ho
    • kawaiikings.net
i think the donations in this case should go straight to the spriter, who should show update the amount of received money often. i don't think a middleman is necessary.
I agree, but I think you may run the risk of a spriter who is too lazy or preoccupied to deal with maintaining a donation pool and regularly updating. If there were a middleman who was willing to be on top of everything and we could trust, I think it is a good alternate option.

By rule of thumb its always good to cut out the middleman though
youtube
- courtesy of Iced
#18  November 13, 2013, 06:58:43 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
Ok, but Fello and Sean are bussy, Balth is working on the Z2 chars, who else takes commissions?

#19  November 13, 2013, 06:59:27 pm
  • KOF Spriter
i think the donations in this case should go straight to the spriter, who should show update the amount of received money often. i don't think a middleman is necessary (unless the spriter can't use paypal or other common ways of payment, and the middleman can work with paypal and uncommon ways of payment)
The role of "The Middleman" may prove necessary as a Public Relations person or Financial Manager, to avoid pestering the Spriter with menial "Hype" tasks.

The whole point here is to Lure the spriter (via financial funds, mind you) into doing something, not have the spriter do all the work of convincing people to give him money ... that has barely ever worked.

Maybe someone could dig up the HAGGAR KICKSTARTER thread to review how it happened spontaneously :P

#20  November 13, 2013, 07:00:36 pm
i'm aware that having a middleman has several benefits fort the convenience of the spriter. maybe the spriter in question should pick the middleman if anything