YesNoOk

MONSTER (1.0 & 1.11b mix) system (Read 8816 times)

Started by Bannana, February 05, 2019, 09:16:01 am
Share this topic:
MONSTER (1.0 & 1.11b mix) system
#1  February 05, 2019, 09:16:01 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
I like to keep to myself so I usually don't see a need to make a project thread, but my brother is getting on me to make one (probably because he wants to post "wow looks nice" in it), and it would be good to get some free beta testing.

I've liked this game since I first played it in 2008, but I didn't want to do any conversions for years because I didn't want to screw up something that seemed impenetrable at the time. But I have knowledge of almost the entire system inside and out (more than the players back in the day probably did thanks to Cheat Engine) so there's no reason not to do it.

Spoiler: About the game (click to see content)
Spoiler: Info (click to see content)
Spoiler: Things that are imperfect/not done (click to see content)
Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:11:59 am by Bannana
Re: MONSTER system
#2  February 05, 2019, 09:25:35 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
This is very tangential but where can I find info on the source game?
#3  February 05, 2019, 09:35:24 am
    • USA
#4  February 12, 2019, 03:41:54 am
    • USA
alright it took a while on my 156kb internet (which is why I just posted pictures earlier), but here's a quick explanation that also shows why MONSTER is fascinating.
#5  February 12, 2019, 03:47:49 am
    • Brazil
I always wanted to play MONSTER, but I never found a link to it.
#6  February 12, 2019, 08:38:15 am
    • USA
Well hopefully I can give a good approximation of it then!

I actually got my copy years ago from a source of dubious legality that hosted doujin games—there were a ton of fightermaker2000 games there that I snagged, though the only one I ever shared was GensouSenki as it was just a 2ch meme game—and when I did get it, it was the 1.01 I currently have when 1.11b was already out. THOUGH, when I actually got into it, ShoK stopped making it. This was after Ancient Cline was announced, and before it became vaporware of course. As far as I gathered over the years, ShoK was apparently hired by Arksys and someone in the fighting game furry community (I'm not exaggerating this by the way, MONSTER had a sizeable furry following) requested the source code from ShoK to continue development, and he was working on it but apparently he got cancer at some point in—don't quote me, I haven't looked at the facebook posts about it for YEARS—2010ish(?) and any possible development completely stopped.

So I haven't played 1.11b, but I don't really even consider the game "done." Everything outside of the actual gameplay seemed so rough, even for a one man job, the 2.0 would have been probably closer to a published game.

For example, here's Orju's standing and walking sprites as of 1.01.

The textures aren't complete. Maybe they were in 1.11b but I don't know.
This actually is part of the reason why I won't bother trying to rip sprites, as my version too old for the fidelity I'd want.

I think there are some actual MONSTER conversions for mugen out there, Aleksander and Maya or Siely (I don't recall, they sort of look similar at a glance), I saw them on the database when Nunor was updating it; however, I don't know how accurate they are, I've never downloaded them(!) because I only liked Ryougen, Delga, and Orju as characters.
Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:41:16 am by Bannana
#7  February 15, 2019, 06:39:52 am
    • USA
Fixed my proration bugs by creating a helper for it as opposed to manual setting, where I can't multiply it by a required percentage, and the -2, where the result is persistent.

https://my.mixtape.moe/cyyjnw.webm

it still requires a lot of manual varsets through calculating the current hit number through my combo correction, but unlike my last two methods it's reliable, updates in real time, and correctly modifies the damage dampening rates.

With this I'm maybe 70% done with all the system stuff, and I can probably throw out an alpha for testing by the end of the week.
=================

In other news, yes, that is Yuri, not Shion. There were some system attributes that I couldn't correctly implement in that character's current state, and I had Wuwo's Yuri rips sitting on my computer for some reason, so I threw this together in the last few days to make the necessary changes.

I luckily play only Kyokugenryu characters in KOF, so I know Yuri well enough to make a decent conversion.
#8  February 15, 2019, 02:50:35 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#9  February 16, 2019, 04:49:19 am
    • USA
Since 8105 graphics no longer exists as a doujincircle it might be classified as abandonware, so technically illegal but no clue whether ShoK even cares about it floating around or not.

Out of curiosity, what version is it? If it is 1.11b I would like it myself, if only to get a better idea of what the changes were from 1.01.

_____

Never mind, I actually just stumbled upon it randomly right now while looking for legality info.

That being stated, I'll check into this and see what I can find and I'll make some notes on the differences between versions.
Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:55:05 am by Bannana
#10  February 16, 2019, 06:05:40 am
    • USA
Alright, I put in some time to gather some fundamental changes

graphical
I. shift circle on select is larger

II. lifebars and shift bars are different (kind of garish)

III. new shift effect (I do like this)

IV. warning graphical changes

V. misc effects added

gameplay
- shift bar starts at zero, but now increased by attacking, like a standard power bar
- shifting does not GIVE power but USES power

Overall, I prefer pre-1.11b gameplay. What made MONSTER interesting to me was the use of shift to gain meter. Thus, I'll stick with 1.01 for the system, but I'll grab the newer effects.
Re: MONSTER (1.01) system
#11  February 16, 2019, 11:01:15 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I believe I also have 1.11b, as my copy came with "update_mnstprd_111b" patcher which I used and I assumed it worked. I haven't really dug in yet tho. I kinda wanna find an old copy for collection purposes.
#12  February 19, 2019, 08:21:19 am
    • USA
I believe I also have 1.11b, as my copy came with "update_mnstprd_111b" patcher which I used and I assumed it worked. I haven't really dug in yet tho. I kinda wanna find an old copy for collection purposes.
Because it's an ancient version, I don't see any issue with passing you my copy of 1.0. Not right now, as my internet can't upload anything that big right now (and it's only 200 MB!), but within the next few weeks

Here's the alpha build of Yuri
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fcjgg8jj1a6d7qj/yuri_monster.7z/file

Spoiler: and the readme posted in the thread, per usual for my releases (click to see content)

TL;DR
These are my listed bugs/known things in need of change:
- no damage display on Bash Combo or Monster Blow
- slaps don't register properly in my combo correction
- Bash Combo in general seems stiff (might just be by design)
- Monster blow is a WIP

I always want a second opinion.
Oh, I forgot because I placed it in the screenshots thread earlier today for feedback, but here's an image of the training mode so you know you're not lost. It's an outdated version, as I later changed it so that shift is max at round start, but it's relevant enough.
Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:29:56 am by Bannana
#13  February 21, 2019, 07:15:29 am
    • USA
A massive change important for juggling in 1.11b is how shift knocks up the opponent, not away
https://my.mixtape.moe/hnppcm.webm (ignore the scanlines, I picked a random low res render type)

I haven't really touched any of the shift velocities since I made the state itself, so mine weren't even correct to begin with, but this is a boon in terms of creating more comboability. Most normals and specials seem to cancel into shift, though obviously monster blow doesn't because it uses your level completely. This is starting to look more like a combination of 1.01 shift mechanics and 1.11b gameplay, but I haven't really dug into comparing the juggle systems so I can't tell. I might shelve the old mechanics for the new ones if I like them better.

I might look into making the powerbreak, because IT IS an important mechanic, I'm just unsure how I would implement it at this moment.
AyaImmortal made a video a while back to explain it

I'll probably be adding a config in later versions that will allow things like this to be turned off.
Maybe I can go full Kame and give you the option to use 1.01 or 1.11b shift.

I have also corrected some explod and helper issues that appeared in the alpha, mostly related to Ko'oh ken, and tweaked animations for several freedom moves. There's still a lot that needs to be done fine tuning with hitdefs, as they're all fairly the same at the moment, but I'm working more on figuring out some system bugs related to my damage display and the supers.

For example, En Yoku will show nothing on hit (the same happens to Ko'oh ken), but will show the percentage for the fade

But the data is being correctly stored because any follow up attacks will show that it cached the damage and added to it
#14  March 01, 2019, 08:06:46 am
    • USA
Alright it took a week and sixteen(!) variables but I was able to convert the point system and powerbreak, and I made it my goal to convert both 1.0 and 1.11b types, just like shift velocities:
https://my.mixtape.moe/auzfhf.webm

These will be able to be set in the config file, and you can even just turn powerbreak off if no character in your roster uses 4,hit on their priority :^)

I also thought harder about using helpers for the glow because they're not necessarily afterimages in the same way we use them in mugen, so I was able to create a closer to source looking shift glow

which also allows for the neat blue afterimage sitting over the glow like in the game!

In effects, I've fixed the damage display flickering when you use an attack like Ko'oh ken. I haven't looked into the bash combo and monster blow issues. You can actually see them also in the powerbreak. I'm sure I KNOW the reason why, I just haven't touched them
Re: MONSTER (1.0 & 1.11b mix) system
#15  March 07, 2019, 09:44:30 am
    • USA
Beta-ish build
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fcjgg8jj1a6d7qj/yuri_monster.7z/file

As always, feedback is needed

What's left to be done seems to really be just effects and hitsparks, but something doesn't feel right to me in how it plays. System wise it seems perfect, but I can't seem to find chains or links in XI Yuri's moveset that are even close to those in Monster.
My keyboard doesn't actually work though (I can't use crouching attacks!), and I don't play fighting games with a keyboard anyway, so who knows.