YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734371 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros for Switch
#81  March 21, 2018, 07:32:15 am
    • Mexico
I'm sorry guys, but I have to vent. Because I don't get it.

WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT GOKU FROM DRAGON BALL TO BE ON SUPER SMASH BROS?
He is arguably THE most iconic manga/anime character worldwide. Doesn't matter if he's not from a video game, and from a gameplay perspective, his moveset and normals would be pretty insane (fuck me if I know how they would go about impleting his numerous transformations though).

I'd say that's reason enough.
#82  March 21, 2018, 07:35:23 am
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
I'm confused.  How do you feel the same way about Sora being in as if Goku was in, while the twist is how bad it would be for Smash's consistency.  Did you want Goku in, then?

I personally don't want Goku in. All it will do is provide a path to adding anime characters that have little or no connection to Nintendo or the video game industry. Same with Sora: because he's Disney, it might infuriate a few companies. Say for example Nickelodeon wants to get involved, because Nickelodeon and Disney are rivals. I honestly don't recall a single video game starring a Nickelodeon character that has made an important impact for Nintendo or the video game industry. Who in Nickelodeon would they put in Smash to rival Sora? During the Smash poll contest, I saw a few candidates that made me feel uncomfortable of where the game could be heading. One time, I saw somebody suggest Dreamworks Shrek as a guest - I said to myself, really?

This was what I meant with Sora being a double-edged sword.
#83  March 21, 2018, 10:50:10 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Battle for Bikini Bottom. Still regarded as one of the best tie in games ever. If you mean more important then that, then there really is none.

...The biggest reason Sora would be bad/worse than Goku is because Nickeleodeon or "rival" characters might join? How would having SpongeBob vs. Ryu in a company made game be bad? It would attract an extremely wide array of players. Are you fearing it would become Punch Time Explosion 2? Shrek was just as much of a meme choice as Goku and we all know it. Sora is most likely a serious suggestion from most.
#84  March 21, 2018, 11:24:01 pm
. It seems that Nintendo has been searching specifically for video game characters who've made a lasting imprint on their platform and/or video game history:

Pac Man: First non-Pong, non-space shooter game, most iconic and successful, birth of booms for both Atari, individually and all of video games, globally
Solid Snake: Creator Hideo Kojima and Smash producer Masahiro Sakarai are personal friends, became first 3rd party character in Smash game

Pac-man was one of the first, if not fhe first of videogame mascot.
That's probably one of the main reasons.

Personally I thought Snake was a really weird inclusion, because he didn't really fit in like Sonic did.
You know, most of cast being colorful fantasy or cartoon orientated characters.

Snake would totally fit into another crossover mentioned here though, Playstation Allstars.
Then, for some reason he didn't, so we got Raiden instead?
SquareEnix also declined to include Cloud, because they didn't want him in a thirdparty game.
But then he's in Smash4. It's just a rant though.

And about Funimation tweeting Nintendo, do they even have any saying in this?
Wouldn't that be the role for Shueisha, Bandai Namco, Toei or Toriyama himself?
Don't they just have the dubbing and publishing rights for the anime in the US?

Anyways, I wouldn't mind them including Goku, some of my friends would go insane too.
But it really seem like an odd inclusion for a (Nintendo)  videogame icons game.
Than we're talking Disney.
If I am not mistaken, Nintendo had some history of publishing Disney characters that goes way back in the days from before they even did videogames. So their business should be even more relevant than some videogame companies.
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:28:09 pm by Rai Tei

lui

#85  March 21, 2018, 11:36:45 pm
    • USA
dudes youre all yelling about a game that hasn't even revealed whether or not its even a port or not yet.

i don't think there is any point in discussing why or why not certain characters should be in or not because frankly at this point nintendo can do whatever the fuck they want with any franchise.
#86  March 22, 2018, 12:03:45 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Even Mega Man and Sonic? And Street Fighter? I wouldn't mind if they took Pac-Man over though... Wishful dreaming...
#87  March 22, 2018, 12:06:02 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
But that's what's fun about the wait.  Coming up with inane ideas and watching them burn.

Yes, no one should be skyrocketing their hopes for the unlikely.  But this little back and forth is just all in good fun.

Now add Goku so I can start petitioning for why they haven't added Usagi yet.  Then we can work on Darth Vader with his scorpion transformation.
#88  March 22, 2018, 12:31:56 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Wait, who's Usagi. Actually... Which one?

I don't really see what's so inane about Bomberman compared to Goku, but that's just me. Yes, Konami. But...
#89  March 22, 2018, 12:44:05 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
Wait, who's Usagi. Actually... Which one?

I don't really see what's so inane about Bomberman compared to Goku, but that's just me. Yes, Konami. But...

i think he means usagi from one piece?
#90  March 22, 2018, 12:46:43 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Sailor Moon.  Popular anime joke, only got Japanese releases with their games so it'd be like Marth and Roy, never mind it.  Dumb low-effort joke.

I was more referring to the clearly bizarre choices like Goku and the memes others brought up.  Bomberman is not impossible and would fit fine.  Likewise, don't expect anything drastic until we have more concrete news on the game.
#91  March 22, 2018, 01:25:47 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I agree with everyone that Goku for Smash is mostly a meme at this point. It has been so overdone at this point that I think we are beating a dead horse at this point.

I personally do not care for Goku regardless he gets in or not. He gets in? So what? I use Pikachu almost exclusively in the series (with the occasional Mii-brawler, Wii-Fit Trainer, and Charizard for the latest in the series). Goku will be just another punching bag for me to beat up, like what he is in my MUGEN program. He does not get in? No big loss for me at all.

I think that there are other characters far more obscure that deserves the spot more than Goku (and Cloud from FF7). How about some character from Namco-Bandai or even SNK. Those could use some attention and I actually might use a character from SNK.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#92  March 22, 2018, 01:44:02 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I gotta be real towards that. "Good, I guess." At least the middle portion... After Pac-Man last game, I don't think I could trust another Namco character. Like ever. SNK, though...? Even Konami or another Capcom character seem more likely.

We do realize Miku supposedly won the ballot in Japan, right? Things could have been much... Different. And more melodic, not even counting the Choir Boys rumor. Now that would be a mess.
Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:49:45 pm by MR. IBZS II
#93  March 22, 2018, 03:04:10 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I guess my ultimate point is that opening the floodgates to characters not heavly related to Nintendo was a big mistake. Sure, I might have cheered to the fact that Snake and the rest of the third party characters are in (except for Cloud), but there is a line that shall not be crossed. Goku getting in will be dancing across the line and paving the way to even stupider things. If we took the time to include everyone that people want, then what's the difference between Smash and a very "trendy" MUGEN?

I threw in Namco-Bandai because they are cooperating on a good number of Nintendo games. I threw in SNK partially to illustrate how bad this inclusion fest can become if we use even the most bare of reasons to justify inclusion...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#94  March 22, 2018, 03:30:23 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Well, Mugen would still have KFM. We know how much he's critical. And the aforementioned OCs. Nintendo could never replace or insert those, Nintendo's mortal like the rest of us.

Yeah, Cloud and Bayo were all Snake's fault. There's nothing to worry about, Goku won't get in. I can at least be sure of that in this bizarre period of gaming. That, and no indies either. Smash 4's reign of pure unadulterated nonsense is thankfully over.
#95  March 22, 2018, 06:24:48 pm
Well, if I am not mistaken, Bandai Namco developed Smash 4 in cooperation with Nintendo.
So a mascot from their IPs might have been part of the deal.
#96  March 22, 2018, 06:31:59 pm
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
#97  March 23, 2018, 04:31:14 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Since pre-Brawl, I will still support my most wanted newcomer. King K. Rool. That's all I need for the new game.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#98  March 23, 2018, 01:13:21 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#99  March 23, 2018, 02:30:28 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
People selected by Nintendo so it will be some fgc players and some youtube personalities.
#100  March 23, 2018, 02:36:54 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Great, now they'll NEVER shut up that Nintendo themselves talked to them... The YT ones at least.