YesNoOk

Aura - The Key of the Twilight (Read 9339 times)

Started by Seravy, November 24, 2008, 08:39:42 pm
Share this topic:
Aura - The Key of the Twilight
#1  November 24, 2008, 08:39:42 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
Technically she is a character, but actually it is a more like a tool for debug purposes.

She can :
-Cause an amount of damage you select from 1-999999 to the opponent once or every second tick.
-Force the opponent to change his state to anything you select. Good for testing those CPU only rarely used states.
-Display the damage caused to her, by each hit, by successive hits, and total since the start of the fight. Do the same while maintaining a defense state.
-Display the damage the opponent takes.
-Kill the opponent with a hopefully fail proof method that should work on "unkillable" characters. Those that have "lifeset = more than 0" in their minus states and similar. Won't work if the character cannot even be hit, so no clsn boxes or a NotHitBy will stop it. Unfortunately there are too many ways to make a character unkillable, and some have no way around them.
- Slow down the opponent. (2008.11.29)
- Display opponent's variables (int and float) (2008.12.01)
- Display opponent's animations (2008.12.03)

Link on my site as usual
http://seravy.co.cc

If you have any other idea what "debug" functions might be useful to include, let me know. Ask only stuff that is actually doable by a character please.
Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:07:48 pm by Seravy
Re: Aura - The Key of the Twilight
#2  November 25, 2008, 04:44:30 pm
  • Eh, I just live life; what about you?
She is indeed a nice character; I like this one because  she can be a good stress-reliever that you can use to just pop off characters because you've been on a losing streak.

My concerns: While she does do quite well under someone's control she concerns me with how she seems to struggle a bit when CPU is controlling her.  Also, another debug should be that she can do a 'freeze-frame' on an opponent to check them while they're glitching in an attack and then display the full de-bug stats. ((I'm not talking about forcing them into a state with her State move; I'm talking about freezing your opponent in the middle of an action))

Other than that she looks quite promising.

Check this out, it's an awesome game: Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:59:51 pm by Soiuku
#3  November 25, 2008, 10:03:36 pm
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
im liking this,if i come up with ideas i'll post
#4  November 26, 2008, 02:28:31 am
    • uglook.net/mugen/
Considering my debug mode is hella broken (I don't know why, nothing I did fixed it), this character would help me out a LOT.

Unfortunatly, it seems your site is down.
#5  November 27, 2008, 09:59:43 am
    • Hungary
She is not meant to be used by the CPU...she has 1 million life and only instant kill attacks after all. SO I coded no AI for her so far. My site is working for me now, if you still can't access it that might be some ISP problem. Freezing/Slowing down the opponent is a nice idea, I'll do it when I have time.
#6  November 29, 2008, 02:06:26 pm
    • Hungary
Updated :
- Slow down opponent function.
- Display State Number above damage
- Fixed numbers displayed in wrong position
- Fixed controls
#7  December 01, 2008, 01:13:42 pm
    • Hungary

Final update :
Variable display of the opponent. Display 20 variables at once. Can display int and float variables as well.

Set ExplodMax and LayeredSpriteMax to a high value, otherwise the display might be messed up. Anything above 250 is probably more than enough.

#8  December 01, 2008, 02:33:26 pm
  • "Moyashi tsuku shite yaru..."
Great idea!
#9  December 02, 2008, 12:39:46 am
    • uglook.net/mugen/
Holy crap, dude. I love the variable display. This will make things SO much easier. Thank you muchly!
#10  December 02, 2008, 03:31:19 pm
  • Eh, I just live life; what about you?
She is pretty awesome; also, congrats on getting your contributors star!  :sugoi:

Check this out, it's an awesome game: Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
#11  December 02, 2008, 06:12:54 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
my brasil puts p2 in a custom state that basically allows you to play all their animations witha  screen centered axis and turns everything but the character magenta, you might want to add that to yours.
#12  December 03, 2008, 08:06:43 pm
    • Hungary
Added the animation display mode. It makes a clone of the opponent in the middle of the screen. BG is not disabled however, so users should use a stage where their character is best visible. Setting the BG to a color would cause problems for characters using similar colors...magenta is bad if the char has similar purple/pink clothes, or hair for example. FG and Lifebars are disabled.
#13  December 03, 2008, 08:24:00 pm
    • uglook.net/mugen/
This thing has already helped me a bit when debugging characters. It's one thing to try and figure out damage by looking at lifebars but it's another thing when you've got the exact numbers displayed. An excellent tool!
#14  December 08, 2008, 04:16:21 pm
    • uglook.net/mugen/
I don't know if you'd still want to do something with this, but it would be interesting if along with the damage Aura takes, it also shows how much power she gains from an attack.

Just want to say, great job and thank you. This has really helped me out a lot.
#15  December 09, 2008, 03:16:50 am
    • Hungary
Nice idea, I'll write that up in my to do list, and do it when I'm in the mood to.