YesNoOk

Net Neutrality is in danger.... Again. (Read 24618 times)

Started by _Data_Drain_, November 19, 2017, 01:57:06 pm
Share this topic:
Net Neutrality is in danger.... Again.
#1  November 19, 2017, 01:57:06 pm
    • USA
I feel like this is something not nearly enough people are talking about...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-internet/fcc-plans-to-vote-to-overturn-u-s-net-neutrality-rules-in-december-sources-idUSKBN1DG00H?utm_campaign

If Net Neutrality is killed. Then the internet is gonna be a LOT worse.... Oh, and to those in other countries saying "Oh well, it's only in the US. So this doesn't affect me". That's where you're VERY wrong. A lot of websites are on US servers. And, who's to say this won't spread to other countries?

I don't know how much this right here will help.... But, something needs to be done, and done fast.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

https://www.change.org/p/save-net-neutrality-netneutrality
Re: Net Neutrality is in danger.... Again.
#2  November 21, 2017, 11:01:59 pm
this is actually a very serious issue, if you live in the u.s please visit that battle for the net website and register your number.
please don't take this lightly, if net neutrality is gone then your isp will force you to pay extra for "website packages" just like premium cable. if for example your internet subscription doesn't include youtube or netflix, they can and they will slow it down on you to the point its unwatchable.
spread the message around.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3  November 22, 2017, 07:00:30 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org

Still relevant, even months later
#4  November 22, 2017, 07:51:50 pm
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#5  November 22, 2017, 07:52:24 pm
I must be one of the few who isn't feeling the frenzy of it all.

I don't mean this to sound edgy or pessimistic, but the reality is we either allow large, unlikable telecoms to rule the internet (fuck Comcast). Or we allow the government, who writes things in the interest of these large telecoms, to keep control (old but good article against net-neutrality).

Great choices, prefer the former btw. On a more humorous note.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Reddit learned that this website is backed by an outfit of Open Society Foundations, headed by the one and only George Soros. I laughed. :)
#6  November 22, 2017, 09:48:48 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
Net neutrality can't be taken down without a plan to put in it's place.  Giving more power to other companies over the throttle of the Internet isn't a very comforting thought.  It isn't to say that government having control over the net is a good idea either.

Edit: not erasing what I said before.

How about this: we currently pay about 50$ for complete use over the internet.  That includes access to any and all sites.  Say if NN gets pulled, now not only do we have to pay for internet, we also have to pay for use of certain sites as well, and not just optional things like access to YouTube shows through YTRed or express shipping through Amazon Prime.  Now if we want quality video playback we have to pay for it (oh, you want to view a video above 360i?  Well, you gotta get YTHD View which is 5$ a month) and if we want to buy more items we have to pay if an item limit is reached (oh, you can only buy five things a month, but if you get Amazon Unlimited Cart, you can have more items delivered for 10 bucks a month).

The idea of this scares people.  I wanna know if that could happen or not if NN gets canned.  I'm not saying it will, but companies having more power than what they have now isn't comforting.
Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:28:39 pm by The Sudden Rarity
#7  November 23, 2017, 05:19:02 am
Anyone who's outed as excessively harming the customer experience would face backlash from consumers, lose out on money (something they don't wanna do), and/or open themselves to legal action. Too bad the Republicans would just give handouts to the giant telecoms if it were to ever get to that point.

I know Vgames made himself out as a moron here, but he was right (by accident is arguable) about the importance of a free market that isn't stifled by regulations. Additional regulations means new players need to hire lawyers to help them comply with the regs, which means less money for actual innovations and other expenses. Assuming they bother to enter in the first place. These smaller ISP's would at least be closer to the illusion of hope without Title II.

Yeah it opens the door for Comcast and Verizon to buttfuck consumers. But they can't stop consumers from finding another ISP if shit hits the fan. The internet never had or needed Title II throughout it's history and has grown just fine. I'm not a genius by any stretch, but I doubt that ending Title II would equal the end of the internet as we know it.
#8  November 23, 2017, 05:56:39 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
You can't really find other cable options in your area as is. And the number of net providers isn't much higher. Or at least I've never seen a cable company that had a rival. It's like electric or water. You get 1 option so you have to pay whatever they want.
#9  November 23, 2017, 07:05:45 am
they won't start their bullshit right away, they'll gradually start charging extra until it becomes a normal thing.
Yeah it opens the door for Comcast and Verizon to buttfuck consumers. But they can't stop consumers from finding another ISP if shit hits the fan. The internet never had or needed Title II throughout it's history and has grown just fine. I'm not a genius by any stretch, but I doubt that ending Title II would equal the end of the internet as we know it.
why put yourself at the mercy of a big isp company? you know whats the most important thing to companies is? profits, and if there are ways to make more of them then you can bet your ass that they will exploit them.
they might not charge as bad as comcast and verizon but they will charge nonetheless, because there is no one who can stop them.
how can you be so apathetic about this?
#10  November 23, 2017, 07:39:42 am
it's presented as an instant doomsday scenario when it's really not. with net neutrality gone, the worst case scenario is that ISP A will start to be very shitty, so people will flock to ISP B because they don't put website specific data behind packages, because they're competing with ISP A and want to make money. isp b will eventually start to be shitty so people will move on to isp c.  repeat this until the most generous looking isp is a far cry from what we have now. it'll take years, but they'll get there.

i live in a country where net neutrality never existed and ISPs haven't done any of this shit yet, at least not for home internet. maybe they will if they see the business model in america catches on. mobile providers have plans where you get unlimited access to specific social networks. using those apps will not take away from your data plan. if you start an app like the ones includes in these packages you'll be at an instant disadvantage, why use LINE when i can use unlimited WhatsApp? it's not neutral or fair, but nobody here really gives a shit

Oh, and to those in other countries saying "Oh well, it's only in the US. So this doesn't affect me". That's where you're VERY wrong. A lot of websites are on US servers. And, who's to say this won't spread to other countries?
cool, what the fuck am i supposed to do then. american congress won't listen to me (and they absolutely shouldn't) and change.org petitions are laughable. don't involve the rest of the world in this because we can't do shit
Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:46:46 am by Titiln
#11  November 23, 2017, 08:41:52 am
how can you be so apathetic about this?

We already have provisions in place to stop people from being abused by anti-consumer policies. Verizon can't just wake up one day and say "we're gonna ban all our users from accessing Netflix today," not without consequence anyway. They can do little inconspicuous things, but that's not stuff Google isn't already doing by manipulating search results in their favor. And Title II didn't stop Verizon from throttling speeds on Netflix anyway, lol. Netflix was doing the same by the way, but they're not bound to Title II rules so they were fine.

Big corporations are going to play dirty, that's just how it is. You don't fix that by making it harder for potential entrepreneurs to enter their ideas into the industry. I'm not saying Net Neutrality isn't important, but Title II isn't the protective shield people think it is.

It's worth reading on when the US government had strict regulations on the phone business back in the 20th century. The appearance of the household phone changed minimally in a span of 30 years, you could probably guess that they weren't turning heads with innovative ideas.

You can't really find other cable options in your area as is. And the number of net providers isn't much higher. Or at least I've never seen a cable company that had a rival. It's like electric or water. You get 1 option so you have to pay whatever they want.

Yeah that's the tough part, there are options but not great ones. There's satellite but that takes forever, and I don't think anyone wants to go back to the dialup days. :0

I think it's a necessary evil to let them have more control, if it means more people can play and get US internet speed up to par.
Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:57:55 am by Niitris
#12  November 23, 2017, 08:47:27 am
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
    • USA
If you ask me, I'm more focused on the Antitrust lawsuit between the Trump Administration and AT&T, who are currently attempting a mega merger with Time Warner (who owns CNN) and have been anticipating legal troubles for quite a long time now, and it's not AT&T's first time either. Of course, Net Neutrality is just as significant and more. AT&T also has assets belonging to Turner Broadcasting and DirecTV. Also, last time, Comcast also managed to purchase much of NBC back in 2011.

And since AT&T is also indirectly involved with Net Neutrality in a way...I can see this mega merger overshadowing Net Neutrality as well as adding to the fire of the circumstances surrounding Net Neutrality. Overall, people are vying to charge for information, buy information, manipulate information, not to control thought and human behavior, but to grow monopolies, employ proxies and create context.
#13  November 23, 2017, 09:02:12 am
  • Raging Fist
*Deep sigh*
You know I don't know what's worse: the fact that Net Neutrality is on it's last legs here, or that the proposal vote to end it is on my birthday.
All I know is this. The GOP as it stands is obsolete. it has been overrun by greedy idiots that want the country to fall so they can either make a fortune of it or flip it until it becomes a totalitarian nation for the rich.
If net neutrality falls, the overall groundbreaking unconstitutional set of events of big corporate rule will pretty much spread like wildfire, and our net will be downgraded into nothing more than a data plan on a cellphone. Remember AOL Discs? If you want Net Neutrality to fail, do the world a favor and look at Portugal. Ajit Pai is a moron and needs to be removed from the FCC.
#14  November 23, 2017, 12:05:33 pm
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
    • USA
I did NOT like what I saw from Portugal. That has got to be the dumbest internet plans I've ever seen. It literally split Google's products and put them into different packages.

The government is going to see the mistake they made in putting Ajit Pai in the seat of FCC chairman. And they're also going to see why it's a terrible idea to put a businessman into the White House as president once they find out how bad the loss of net neutrality affects them, all for the sake of spreading their alternative facts and maintaining their agenda. There will be sacrifices, there will be costs, and they already can't afford to settle an entire country's billions of dollars in debt. I'm going on a tangent, but It'll be a matter of time before the 1.7 trillion dollars accumulated from the Student Loan Crisis causes another economic crash and the debt ceiling is broken.
#15  November 23, 2017, 12:31:59 pm
Net neutrality is essential and there's no way to defend Trump on this one.

Just in case anyone was waiting for my take.
#16  November 23, 2017, 01:04:51 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/

Yeah that's the tough part, there are options but not great ones. There's satellite but that takes forever, and I don't think anyone wants to go back to the dialup days. :0

I think it's a necessary evil to let them have more control, if it means more people can play and get US internet speed up to par.
I don't see how allowing the fall of NN will do this. If anything it'll make larger companies buy out or crush smaller ones before they become a threat. Again, I used cable as an example. I don't want the government to have control either. But the government won't lose any control if they remove NN. Allowing ISPs to throttle and control content will do nothing to advance anything. Heck, even if you can find a small up n coming business there's no guarantee you could get to their website or find them on your net. The potential cons are so much greater than the potential pros.
#17  November 23, 2017, 04:31:26 pm
every part of your comment pissed me off... i swear to god, you are just like that bicycle kid meme.
We already have provisions in place to stop people from being abused by anti-consumer policies.
where are those provisions? the only regulations on the internet are from the fcc and now they're being gutted by ajit.
Verizon can't just wake up one day and say "we're gonna ban all our users from accessing Netflix today," not without consequence anyway. They can do little inconspicuous things, but that's not stuff Google isn't already doing by manipulating search results in their favor.
off course they're not gonna do that. as i said before, they'll gradually start charging extra until it becomes normal. they'll sugercoat it at first as "ultra fast" internet packages for websites and eventually phase out their old internet plans.
And Title II didn't stop Verizon from throttling speeds on Netflix anyway, lol. Netflix was doing the same by the way, but they're not bound to Title II rules so they were fine.
the verizon you're talking about is the regulated one, imagine what would an unregulated verizon do.

Big corporations are going to play dirty, that's just how it is. You don't fix that by making it harder for potential entrepreneurs to enter their ideas into the industry. I'm not saying Net Neutrality isn't important, but Title II isn't the protective shield people think it is.
it isn't? did you know in portugal you have to pay isps just to access whatsapp and facebook? in saudi arabia skype is banned by the saudi telecommunications company because its a free alternative to international calls and in some third world countries news websites are blocked if they cover something that hurts whoever is in charge.
net neutrality shielded you from those shitty practices. 
it isn't. if you think that NN stifled companies from giving you good internet connection then you're very delusional and naive.
enjoy being your isp's milking cow, if i was a u.s resident i would've done something about this. hopefully this doesn't trickle down on other countries.
#18  November 23, 2017, 04:50:03 pm
where are those provisions? the only regulations on the internet are from the fcc and now they're being gutted by ajit.

The FTC, contractual agreements? That's just for starters, there were a code of ethics before Title II you know, lol.

And for the record, I'm a real stubborn person. If I don't like a business is doing (I mean we do talk video games here too), I'm more than happy to find an alternative, or adjust to life without it. Enjoy being mad about people who disagree with you though, there's a lot of them out there. :(

I don't see how allowing the fall of NN will do this. If anything it'll make larger companies buy out or crush smaller ones before they become a threat.

The big telecoms buying out smaller ones are independent of whatever happens with Title II or Net Neutrality. I'm talking more about job growth and freed money to invest in technologies.

And that's the other problem, there's this narrative going around (of course) that ending Title II = ending Net Neutrality, which is horribly dishonest because they're not the same thing. Opponents of Title II do believe in Net Neutrality. They don't believe that the government should treat the Internet and Internet packets as a public utility.

The government and FCC also used to regulate radio (and eventually TV) with the Fairness Doctrine in 1949. It was designed to apply "content neutrality" because of limited amounts of frequencies. And the argument among it's supporters is that only they could get people to "fairly" talk about the issues. Problem was they were the ones who decided what "content neutral" meant, discouraging radio outlets to enter politics and the fines they could face from the FCC for having the wrong opinion. It was ultimately decided that it's existence it was a way to skirt around the First Amendment, there's no coincidence that conservative outlets (Fox News included in 1996) couldn't break out until after it was repealed in 1987.

It's easy to feel that it's bad this is being removed because Title II's only been around for two years and hadn't done any notable damage. As much I don't like the big telecoms, I'm even less for the government being in control while still being influenced by large corporate entities, best believe Google and Amazon exploit the existence of Title II to their benefit. Worse case scenario is what Titiln said earlier about shitty business models and 'micro-selling' apps (yeah I've heard about that happening in Portugal too), I'm more concerned about that than blocking websites.
#19  November 23, 2017, 05:05:48 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'm not seeing the correlation between the radio and internet example though. The government nor FCC are fining ppl for what they say on the net. I don't see what you mean about their influence on the internet at all. And to be clear I'm not against whatever Title II is. I haven't even researched it to know. I'm merely discussing the NN thing. If it's not in jeapordy then I don't care as much (due to ignorance of the other things in the package)
#20  November 23, 2017, 05:17:19 pm
Net Neutrality is simply fair and equal treatment across the internet, I don't think anyone here is against that. Title II is the regulation that forces ISPs to treat internet traffic the same. It's a way to enforce net neutrality, but they're not one and the same. One could make the argument that traffic shouldn't be obligated to be equal, allowing businesses to allocate where they want to spend their resources, but my position isn't nuanced enough to elaborate on that.

I brought up the radio/television scenario because it's an example of how well-intended regulations can hamper creativity, innovation, and/or competition.
#21  November 23, 2017, 06:05:38 pm
    • USA
The topic is really confusing, can someone tell me the short and long term *benefits* a consumer would have should Ajit manage to pull this off?
#22  November 23, 2017, 06:09:34 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Okay then. I still don't think isps should be able to allocate where they spend resources if it'll give sites they prefer an edge. The radio one was a good argument for less regulation there but some things should be forced like this or that company that bought eppi pens so they could jack up the prices astronomically. If the market worked correctly there would be many cheaper alternatives to compete. Internet just doesn't fall into that field imo
#23  November 23, 2017, 07:25:28 pm
The FTC, contractual agreements? That's just for starters, there were a code of ethics before Title II you know, lol.
the ftc has no authority over this, once NN is gone isps can charge however they want.
contractual agreements? are you kidding me? do you think they'll actually break whatever terms they put on their contracts?
grab a copy and read it, theres tons of shady terms in there that people just sign up on without putting too much thought into.
Enjoy being mad about people who disagree with you though, there's a lot of them out there. :(
im not pissed at you for disagreeing with me, im pissed at you because you're spewing nonsense of the top of your head with no facts to back it up and you have a weird fath in isp companies that they won't abuse their authorities and instead be "creative".
Net Neutrality is simply fair and equal treatment across the internet, I don't think anyone here is against that. Title II is the regulation that forces ISPs to treat internet traffic the same. It's a way to enforce net neutrality, but they're not one and the same. One could make the argument that traffic shouldn't be obligated to be equal, allowing businesses to allocate where they want to spend their resources, but my position isn't nuanced enough to elaborate on that.
why aren't you making it then? oh wait you answered my question in that last sentence, because you don't know what the hell are you talking about.
why should internet traffic not be treated the same? if i pay a hefty amount of money monthly to get a 16 mbps download speed and my isp decides that a site that i frequent doesn't need that and throttles it, what good is my internet plan? why the fuck should i pay them if they're not gonna deliver on their offer and instead cherry pick which sites deserve the full speed?
you have no proof whatsoever that title ii is bad yet you keep spewing nonsense from your head that it *might* be because of what? the radio was regulated in the 50s?
different times, different situations. you can't compare those two.
Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:28:52 pm by Gennos
#24  November 23, 2017, 10:40:11 pm
I've already explained that it has the effect of big telecoms and shitty practices, so don't know where you're getting "faith in ISPs" from. Best we can hope for is that technology changes service distribution somewhere down the line that allow us to bypass them in some way.

There wasn't a big enough sample size to prove if Title II was bad or not. The trends weren't encouraging though:

http://sbecouncil.org/2015/09/11/results-are-in-net-neutrality-regulation-and-diminished-investment/

Increased regulation always comes with increased costs. (business 101)

When elected officials and/or their appointees ignore this reality, entrepreneurship, business, employment, innovation and investment suffer, as do, ultimately, consumers as well.

And as SBE Council has emphasized, small businesses certainly suffer from the negative impact of regulation, including this gross regulatory overreach by the FCC. Consider, for example, that among firms within the telecommunications sector, 83 percent have fewer than 20 workers and 98 percent less than 500 employees. In addition, lost investment hurts small businesses as content providers in many industries, and enterprises across industries that reach new customers and markets via the Internet, and of course, as consumers of goods and services online.

Not mentioned is how these regulations have cost $5.1 billion in investments but that was well after this article. The question should be: How does Title II encourage internet growth? Given that the US suffers from embarassingly slow speeds despite it's economic status as a whole.

And yeah history is relevant because the same concepts apply. It's not somehow "invalid" because it happened 50 years ago, in the same industry I should add.

Imagine if the response to stop EA from abusing loot boxes and other anti-consumer DLC was... to make a gaming standard with 80 pages of DLC rules that all publishers must abide by. Naturally some protections would attempt to protect indie/small publishers, but they would still have to spend more money to make sure their content is in compliance with the rules. Money they may not even have, which would mean less content for your favorite niche title. All while EA and Ubisoft can still easily make DLC and push the envelope as far as the rules allow them.
Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:10:22 pm by Niitris
#25  November 24, 2017, 12:37:06 am
Not mentioned is how these regulations have cost $5.1 billion in investments but that was well after this article. The question should be: How does Title II encourage internet growth? Given that the US suffers from embarassingly slow speeds despite it's economic status as a whole.

You're saying two unrelated things like they're connected. Other countries with fast internet speeds have net neutrality laws.
#26  November 24, 2017, 01:49:02 am
They're not, but stronger laws do provide less flexibility for what web services can be created or expedited, which can be both a good and bad thing.

Overall, I'm just saying revoking Title II isn't the day of reckoning that people are forecasting.
#27  November 25, 2017, 12:55:26 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#28  November 28, 2017, 01:25:58 am
    • USA
#29  November 28, 2017, 01:32:58 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Signed. And I'm not even American.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#30  November 28, 2017, 02:46:14 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
#31  December 14, 2017, 02:44:59 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA

yesterday i made a call about net neutrality, and today's the vote on that

let's hope the repeal doesn't happen
#32  December 14, 2017, 06:41:00 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
we lost...
#33  December 14, 2017, 07:21:53 pm
    • USA
Not all of us! Niitris wins!  :smile:
#34  December 14, 2017, 07:42:27 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
It still has to go through Congress right?
Battle lost,war still ongoing,and all that jazz
#35  December 14, 2017, 07:49:04 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Yeah it still has to go through courts.

Also there's a bill introduced that's intended to save it.

IDK what everyone was expecting from today, the FCC were gonna repeal it no matter what....but it's not up to them in the end.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#36  December 14, 2017, 07:59:16 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
I can't believe it, the internet is officially DEAD!!! Now I need to pay Verizon $20 for basic online connection, another $10 for the amazon package, and another $10 for the MFG package, and $10 for the Netflix and streaming package. I can't afford 25 cents a Tweet and my ex girlfriend stole my PS4. What am I supposed to do now Chairman Pai? Even if I could play Street Fighter 5 right now I'd still need to pay for PSN, buy the DLC, and the game STILL fucking sucks! I've got my Ethernet cable tied to a noose and hanging up behind me next to the Mistletoe. I've already made my last Reddit post, Fuck Drumpf and fuck white Christmases! See you all in HECK!

Honestly, the doomsaying and overly emotional and unreasoned breakdowns across the net have been pretty funny up to this point, and that was before the magic happened. I'm expecting a lot from Reddit/social media today.

Always try make the best of a bad situation! :)
Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:12:25 pm by Chronan
#37  December 14, 2017, 08:59:49 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
^ What the actual fuck is wrong with you?
#38  December 14, 2017, 09:01:03 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
#39  December 14, 2017, 09:09:50 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I know ppl in other countries that don't have this and it's an actual issue. Throttling down competitor sites and all. We should just all go back outside like in the good old days anyway.
#40  December 14, 2017, 09:26:42 pm
in my case at least i never had net neutrality and i'm not living the nightmare scenario being put forth by so many. i hope isps aren't total shitheads about it in america
#41  December 14, 2017, 09:29:23 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
in my case at least i never had net neutrality and i'm not living the nightmare scenario being put forth by so many. i hope isps aren't total shitheads about it in america

Yeah, they can get pretty darn ridiculous when it comes to matters like this. In America, there's the Big Three as I call them when it comes to getting phone-cable/satellite-internet service, and if there's a better option than them....they always try to take them out with bylaws and fees. That's the problem with the Big Three, in competition with each other and slowly bringing prices up to the point where it gets ridiculous, cause at the end of the day it's all about making a profit.
Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:37:26 pm by R565
#42  December 14, 2017, 09:39:20 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
Didn't Comcast throttle Netflix before NN went into effect?  Or was that just a scare tactic that others said happened but didn't happen?
#43  December 14, 2017, 10:30:02 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
wipes tear

The simple answer is, I've been following the whole show just like last time and I enjoy taking the piss out of people on major social media sites. Reddit's been surprisingly better than expected today than the past few weeks' threads about it, but there's still some gems hidden in there.

Out of curiosity though, What in the actual fuck is wrong with you?
Do I have to toe the lines of doom and gloom or be quiet when others do?
Or is it that I can't take the piss out of people unless it's Ajit Pai or the people who are somehow against NN? Because that never happens..
Have you been in any of the the Trump/Brexit threads since they started with all the pisstakes on both sides? If not, good for you!
Maybe you think I'm bullying MFG posters by only slightly exaggerating the hysteria from Reddit and Shitter? If so that's on you.
Or maybe you're just jealous??

i hope isps aren't total shitheads about it in america
Too late. ISPs were always some of the biggest corporate shitheads in America. It's effectively a guarantee they're rubbing their hands ready to fuck content providers which will ultimately fuck us. They pretty much control the FCC too, just about everyone who works there comes from Verizon/Comcast/any other Service Provider of phone/internet/cable. Wheeler who preceded the Paiman surprised everyone when he didn't side with ISPs considering he came from some Communications Service Provider company IIRC. That was like a 20% chance at best of a person given the state the FCC is and has been in, the most recent change isn't surprising it was bound to happen sooner or later without FCC restructuring.

It is important to know that NN isn't dead.. yetTM. There's still some hoops that need to be jumped thru plus there's still a congress and Trump that can work their magic, not that I have high hopes for Trump on this. His and Hillary's statement and history on the internet are the core reasons why I didn't vote for either of them.

What is important is that people stay sane about it and keep their Ethernet cords plugged into their computers, even if NN "dies" this year it still isn't the end of NN or the internet.

#44  December 14, 2017, 11:16:41 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
I think about it, and I realise we need to keep a calm head about all of this because the FCC is headed by an guy that does this....
#45  December 14, 2017, 11:27:31 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Out of curiosity though, What in the actual fuck is wrong with you?
Do I have to toe the lines of doom and gloom or be quiet when others do?
Or is it that I can't take the piss out of people unless it's Ajit Pai or the people who are somehow against NN? Because that never happens..
Have you been in any of the the Trump/Brexit threads since they started with all the pisstakes on both sides? If not, good for you!
Maybe you think I'm bullying MFG posters by only slightly exaggerating the hysteria from Reddit and Shitter? If so that's on you.
Or maybe you're just jealous??

The self-satisfied junior league nihilism routine isn't really necessary, since nobody here is acting like that.  I'm fine if you want to sit around and pat yourself on the back for being the most woke, but there's no need to be a dick about it when people are trying to have a serious discussion.
Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:43:29 pm by Person Man
#46  December 15, 2017, 01:39:38 am
    • USA
    • morbidjoe666@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Kik : morbidjoe
im just getting depressed about this...
I need more PSN friends
#47  December 15, 2017, 01:47:01 am
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
In the end we have to fight even harder to make up for this loss. The FCC have a bunch of hurdles left so yeah, let's build up morale and keep fighting.
#48  December 15, 2017, 02:00:41 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
The self-satisfied junior league nihilism routine isn't really necessary, since nobody here is acting like that.  I'm fine if you want to sit around and pat yourself on the back for being the most woke, but there's no need to be a dick about it when people are trying to have a serious discussion.
^Thanks for the info, but you sound even more full of shit than I do after that post. So props on pulling that off man! Sounds like you ultimately just missed that I was mocking the doomsayers who were already mentioned earlier in the thread and spread across the internet and every major media site talking about this exact issue and blowing it to insane proportions. Then you read into it far too much and assumed some personal traits and beliefs of mine. It's okay though, it happens to the worst of us!

but there's no need to be a dick about it when people are trying to have a serious discussion.
Do you even browse All That's Left? You're acting like this is the first time you've seen ATL shitposting. It's not wokeness dude nor is it patting myself on the back, you're just being ridiculous because you assumed I was attacking you or like-minded people. This is coming from the guy who just made a ridiculous joke about hanging himself with an Ethernet cable because I read an article that stated the internet as we know it is DEAD!
That's the equivalent of "You shouldn't make asinine jokes when we talk about serious things on an online video game forum." Cool man but I'm content. I'll be a dick and make fun of dumb shit til I get the boot or get bored. "serious business"

im just getting depressed about this...
Don't get depressed over it. Call/e-mail your congressmen when it is in their court. Or look forward to voting someone in someday who "might" try to fix this. The Dems will run candidates in 2018 and 2020 who will claim to want to restore NN. I mean if they want a chance at winning they will. Plus the Dem presidential candidates tend to be more likely to get endorsements/$$$ by the same corporations who were actively for NN, since they are #1 to be fucked by it. So it isn't over.. yetTM.

Didn't Comcast throttle Netflix before NN went into effect?  Or was that just a scare tactic that others said happened but didn't happen?
That did happen. Netflix paid Comcast the bill to prevent throttling, and then Comcast started throttling them again anyway despite Netflix paying for it. Then NN came into effect. I understand the idea that Netflix used most of the bandwidth from the ISP so they should MAYBE have to pay some proportional amount for the amount of bandwidth used(and still maybe), but with or without payment Comcast didn't stop there and would apply that to other major sites. I can't sympathize with comcast either way, they pay pennies on the gigabyte for bandwidth from source to destination, but they charge everyone minimum $30.00 for their internet packages(unless they've raised their prices).
Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:04:16 am by Chronan
#49  December 15, 2017, 04:05:09 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Do you even browse All That's Left? You're acting like this is the first time you've seen ATL shitposting.
Have you? You should know people here do not like different opinions.
#50  December 15, 2017, 04:33:18 am
I've been listening to the terrible conservative takes about net neutrality, and they have some points. They're wrong overall IMO, but they have some points. This isn't the only way to regulate net neutrality. 'The free market bluh bluh' isn't a viable response because so many areas of the US have absolute garbage monopolies, but there are other ways to attack this problem, and Title II regulations may not have been the best one.

What I'm saying is: See this as an opportunity. Don't kneejerk demand the old internet protections back. Build BETTER ones. Use more appropriate mechanisms. Maybe try to actually bust up the ISP monopolies instead of regulating them to diminish their impact.
#51  December 15, 2017, 05:07:42 am
Not all of us! Niitris wins!  :smile:

I'm the greatest...

Let me clarify that I am pro-Net Neutrality, and that I'm not mad at anyone who thinks my opinion is garbage. I'm surprised I didn't get more shit thrown at me tbh, yes it was more than just here. I don't think the the internet should be treated as a utility.

No matter what the decision is, the real problem is the near monopoly of ISPs. Net Neutrality or not, Comcast will still be the absolute worst of corporate America. Hopefully 5G technology will really breakout soon and give them a kick in the ass, ideally to it's grave.

All the hysteria going on about it was just like... I don't even know. Gonna admit, all it did was make me cynical of the "retain" argument, even though there are some good points to be had. No "cable-izing" to consumers obviously. And that content providers should get priority over ISPs, even though they're swift to kill competition and have a far easier time doing it too.

I've been listening to the terrible conservative takes about net neutrality, and they have some points. They're wrong overall IMO, but they have some points. This isn't the only way to regulate net neutrality. 'The free market bluh bluh' isn't a viable response because so many areas of the US have absolute garbage monopolies, but there are other ways to attack this problem, and Title II regulations may not have been the best one.

A good number of Republicans feel that some level of replacement legislation is needed in it's place, which I agree with.
#52  December 15, 2017, 04:42:31 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
https://www.thewrap.com/patty-dukes-name-fraudulently-used-oppose-net-neutrality-son-mackenzie-astin-says/

The plot thickens...

On the bright side, New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced a multi-state lawsuit against the FCC as a result of the Net Neutrality repeal, which includes the attorneys general of Virginia, Delaware, Hawaii, California, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, Maine, Mississippi, Oregon, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Washington, Vermont and the District of Columbia, as well as lawyers from the ACLU, Facebook, and Alphabet/Google.
Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:59:41 pm by Ricepigeon
#53  December 15, 2017, 04:56:39 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Now's that's something you hear in campaign trails....scary stuff.
#54  December 15, 2017, 05:04:05 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
Also worth noting that NYAG Schneiderman has also been involved in a 7-month investigation into fraudulent comments posted to the FCC's website much like the ones attributed to Patty Duke, an investigation which the FCC has not yet complied with, so thats another thing to add to the lawsuit most likely.
#55  December 15, 2017, 05:25:43 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Corruption on both sides....GODDAMN.
#56  December 15, 2017, 06:29:36 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Both? He was saying Schneiderman was investigating similar reports, not that he was involved in sending false comments.
#57  December 15, 2017, 06:35:40 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Both? He was saying Schneiderman was investigating similar reports, not that he was involved in sending false comments.

I meant when it comes to the news this past week, hearing about the two sides. But everyone at this point knows that the FCC is in corporate pockets.
#58  December 15, 2017, 07:18:43 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
fuck censorship and any shit which cuts freedom......
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
#59  December 16, 2017, 07:24:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

same here, I enjoy my 5 dollars a month "unlimited" facebook+twitter+what's app service with an extra 300 mb to browse inferior websites.
#60  December 16, 2017, 07:49:49 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
#61  December 16, 2017, 08:13:48 pm
  • Democracy is non-negotiable.
  • coding nearly done, supers and AI left.
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/melcore?fan_landing=true&view_as=public
Lol, now people are concerned about voter fraud?
#62  December 16, 2017, 08:29:49 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
Fake comments, not votes, so only marginally better. I understand real vs fake public opinion being used to sway the outcome of the actual votes applied within the FCC, I get it.

It's something that should be criminally investigated and someone(s) charged for identity theft.
I'm curious about:
1. Who did it/parties involved/etc and how leniently will their wrist slapping be.
2. What database they pulled and exploited this personal info from, and assuming its data from outside the FCC itself what other organization deserves to get fucked. It just seem like a lot of info for an org like the FCC.
3. Despite his trolling and Complain-X attitude. I'm wondering if Ajit eventually steps down or Trump "forces" him to due to public opinion, which ISP will hire him to an executive position within a year. Wishful thinking, I know!
#63  December 19, 2017, 01:48:16 pm
It's worth mentioning that the FCC/Ajit Pai isn't necessarily guilty here. It's possible that someone who was against him did this so that his decision would be overturned because it would be assumed he was somehow responsible. We've seen lots of that kind of behaviour recently.

I have no reason to believe this is true or anything, just raising the possibility. It could be pro-net-neutrality people fucking with the results so anti-net-neutrality people would be blamed and punished.
#64  December 19, 2017, 01:58:23 pm
that's why it should be investigated, doesn't matter if it was anti or pro , that's still identity theft and how the fck did they got those data?
#65  December 19, 2017, 02:00:26 pm
Oh I completely agree, we need to get to the bottom of this ASAP.
#66  December 19, 2017, 03:57:27 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
#67  December 21, 2017, 11:51:32 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Even though the FCC voted to repeal Title II net neutrality protections last week, the fight to save the internet is far from over. Immediately after the vote, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced he will be suing the FCC, and 16 states have now signed onto this lawsuit. Additionally, activists across the country are now putting pressure on lawmakers in Congress to reverse this decision via the Congressional Review Act, which allows them to nullify votes from agencies like the FCC. In fact, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer announced that he will force a vote to reverse the FCC's decision soon.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.