YesNoOk

Gouken SF2 Sprite Sheet (and SF1 Portrait of him) (Read 255056 times)

Started by SiL3Nt J, August 10, 2015, 04:33:09 pm
Share this topic:
Gouken SF2 Sprite Sheet (and SF1 Portrait of him)
New #1  August 10, 2015, 04:33:09 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Guessing they won't let me delete this since it has become so popular (thanks to all of you for that btw), but follow me on deviantart:

https://www.deviantart.com/sil3ntj
Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:50:14 pm by SiL3Nt J
Re: Old School SF2 Gouken (Sprite sheet inside)
#2  August 10, 2015, 04:35:25 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Nice work, but what about the intro frames and the win poses? They seem to be missing.

Also if it doesn't bother you, do you mind if I have a jab at the portraits?
This is a generic forum signature.
#3  August 10, 2015, 04:38:23 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Sure go for it, all I ask is that if you post it somewhere just mention my name if you don't mind, just because I spent so much time on them.

As for the win poses, if you look at the bottom 3 sprites, next to portraits, the first two sprites (the arms folded one and the horse stance) are his two win poses. He doesn't have any intro poses because the SF2 characters didn't and I was just trying to make him old school.
Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:42:51 pm by SiL3Nt J
#4  August 10, 2015, 04:46:08 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Sure go for it, all I ask is that if you post it somewhere just mention my name if you don't mind, just because I spent so much time on them.

As for the win poses, if you look at the bottom 3 sprites, next to portraits, the first two sprites (the arms folded one and the horse stance) are his two win poses. He doesn't have any intro poses because the SF2 characters didn't and I was just trying to make him old school.

I remember SF2 having a few frames worth of poses, like the folding of arms and the horse stance, there would be like 2 or 3 frames that would lead up to those respective poses. But its your call though.

When I finish it, I'll definitely mention your name and put a link to your thread. ^_^
#5  August 10, 2015, 05:23:46 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Cool thanks, I look forward to seeing it.

I misunderstood what you meant about the intro frames. I was thinking you meant like having him do a taunt before the start of the round like in SF Alpha and the newer games. I did try to have an intro animation for the horse stance but I didn't really think it was necessary for the folding arms one but you could probably use one of the block poses. The main thing I had working against me is time just because my job is starting back up today. So I had to cut corners whenever possible just so I could be able to finish it. I didn't want to do that but it was either do that or don't do it at all.

Here's what I meant for the win poses though. For the introduction frames, these could be used:

#6  August 10, 2015, 05:44:25 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Man those look pretty awesome. If someone codes this, I want to be the first to take him for a spin. ^_^

For the horse stance win pose, I recall only Akuma doing it in SF2 Turbo. Maybe you could just take the frames, and do edits on the head position to make it look like Gouken's (as in edit the head in the frames in a rough pixely manner, and once you the head of the animation flows in the way you want it to flow, edit it to make it look like Gouken;s). That's up to you though.
#7  August 10, 2015, 07:50:42 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
I could have swore this was at "Graphics" at one point. Oh well, moving.moved.
#8  August 11, 2015, 01:19:39 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Man those look pretty awesome. If someone codes this, I want to be the first to take him for a spin. ^_^

For the horse stance win pose, I recall only Akuma doing it in SF2 Turbo. Maybe you could just take the frames, and do edits on the head position to make it look like Gouken's (as in edit the head in the frames in a rough pixely manner, and once you the head of the animation flows in the way you want it to flow, edit it to make it look like Gouken;s). That's up to you though.

Lol thanks, I would love to play as him too. I don't currently use Mugen, but I would consider getting it if this got made.

I actually wanted to use a few of Akuma's SSF2T sprites but I couldn't find a sprite sheet any where so I had to make do with what I could find on google. I was originally going to give him sandles with no marks on the belt, but added the marks at the last minute to make him look different from Ken, Ryu, and Akuma.
#9  August 11, 2015, 10:59:11 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
I think some frames are still missing. I only see 1 frame of his standing pose.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#10  August 12, 2015, 12:28:18 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Yeah I know, I was thinking about that too. It isn't that big of a deal though is it? If you think about it, Guy and Strider don't move unless you make them and some real fighters don't bounce around.

Here is a breakdown of his moves, if you missed it in my other topic. Btw, he should be extremely slow, like as slow as Zangief or Dhalsim and should have Zangief's strength. Slow, but good at everything else, I think that would suit him well. For his voice, I would say give him Zangief's voice effects from SF2 and have him say "safe" when he does his fireball like Zangief and Sagat do  when they do their throws. Also, his moves should have superior priority.

On top are his crouching attacks, self explanatory. On the bottom are his jumping attacks. He only has one animation for jumping forward and kicking and jumping straight up and kicking, but that doesn't really matter. Ryu and Ken's jumping light attacks were pretty much useless in SF2. The animation in the bottom right corner is the animation for his punches when jumping straight up. For his jab animation when jumping forward or backwards, he uses his lead hand. For the middle and heavy punch animations, it is his rear hand.

His standing attacks. Top row, his light and medium standing punches. Second row, his standing heavy punch. 3rd row, his animation for his medium and heavy punches when standing close. 2nd to last row, his standing light and medium kicks, which share the same animation. Bottom row, his standing heavy kick which would be a bad ass poke. ^_^ Up close, it gets two hits.

His demon flip and hurricane kick:

Demon Flip: Dragon Punch motion forward + Kick

His diving kick from SF4. If a kick button is pressed in mid-air, he does a diving kick. Otherwise, he just lands and does the crouching roundhouse.

Hurricane Kick: Quarter Circle Backward + kick

The vertical hurricane kick from SF4. If done in mid air, it travels horizontally.

Rush Punch

Dragon Punch motion forward + punch

His dashing punch from SF4. It can go through projectiles. The strength of the button pressed determines how far he travels.

Hadouken

Quarter Circle Forward + Punch

This one's kinda tricky. It could be done several ways, personally, I prefer the first way :-):

1) The LP and MP versions are straight forward firing projectiles with the LP being the slow version and the MP being  a high speed version. The HP version could be the upward firing fireball that is a high speed projectile.

-or-

2) It is like Fei Long's Rekkaken and both the straight and upward projectiles can be done right after the other with the strength of the button being pressed determining the speed of the projectile.

-or-

3) If you want to make him really cheap, have one Hadouken motion fire both projectiles one right after the other, like Shin Akuma's air fireball(s). Lol

Defensive Counter

Dragon punch motion backward + any punch or kick.

Similar to his SF4 defensive counter except it counters all high and low attacks and projectiles. Gouken gets into the horse stance for a brief second. If he is hit while in the horse stance,  he sticks his lead hand out and performs a counter punch that knocks the opponent across the screen like Hyper Fighting Ryu's hurricane kick. Kind of a cheap move, but he is Ryu and Ken's teacher so he is supposed to be a bad ass. :p

Win Poses, Time Over loss pose, Turning Around

The 2 poses on the left are his winning poses. The third pose from the left is his pose that he does if time runs out and he loses.

The animations on the right are for turning around. I forgot to make an edit of him turning, so one of his blocking animations should probably be used. It's not that big of a deal, just wanted to point out how he should turn.

Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:59:52 am by SiL3Nt J
#11  August 12, 2015, 12:36:56 am
  • Hola
    • Chile
    • yiazmatomegavictorys.wix.com/mugenvictorys
His standing pose should be animated, just like the whole SF2 cast. A single sprite as a standing animation would look pretty awkward in game, specially if it's a shoto.

Using Ryu's/Ken's/Akuma's standing sprites as a base would work.

#12  August 12, 2015, 03:05:49 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Eh, I know, I just really don't have any more time. Maybe next summer I can finish him :/
#13  August 13, 2015, 12:51:41 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Ok people you're in luck, they gave me an extra long lunch today so I got some work done, added them to the sprite sheet as well:

#14  August 13, 2015, 12:53:52 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
AWESOME, now that's an idle I can stare at for all eternity. Keep up the great work! ^_^
#15  August 13, 2015, 01:01:36 am
  • Hola
    • Chile
    • yiazmatomegavictorys.wix.com/mugenvictorys
Good job ;)

Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:18:05 pm by Víctorys
#16  August 13, 2015, 12:31:43 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
i would love to code this once its done.
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#17  August 13, 2015, 03:31:50 pm
He finished it.
#18  August 13, 2015, 04:02:49 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
O_o doh! im gonna do this then
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#19  August 13, 2015, 07:17:31 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Thank you very much for the feedback, I'm glad you all liked it so much. Thank you to everyone who viewed this as well and those who are still viewing.

That would be really cool DJ, and yeah, it is finished. I'm thinking about doing another version with the ropes around the waist and ankles, but it will be a while before I can be done with that. Can't wait to see this in action though. ^_^  Just be sure he is slow and hits hard. Also, he should have a good sized lifebar. He shouldn't be too fast and overpowered. I was thinking he should be like Captain America: Slow, but good at everything else. Maybe give him Zangief's speed and strength settings.

I hope you will make a video when it's done.

(Edit)

Forgot to mention his voice effects. He should only have 2. I don't think he should say "Hadouken" or any of his other specials. I didn't like that they had him do that in SF4, but he especially shouldn't in this game because there are no sound effects that sound like an old guy saying those words.

So I would just give him the "oooaaaahhh" voice effect for when he loses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axV4iFiuDmE#t=1m

and then this sound effect for his throws and all of his specials. It's the one that Zangief and Sagat use for their throws that sounds like they are saying "Safe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axV4iFiuDmE#t=1m5s

For his stage, just give him either the night Ryu stage from SF2 Champion Edition or the day one from World Warrior, whichever one the Ryu in your game isn't using. Unless of course someone has made a bad ass SF2 style stage for Gouken.
Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:30:44 am by SiL3Nt J
#20  August 14, 2015, 08:14:34 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
I'm working on a version with a rope belt around the waist, it's almost done, I will post it as soon as it is.

Had an idea for a level today, I'm not saying it has to be done or anything, but it would be cool if there were a full stage of the waterfall from Ryu's SNES ending, if anyone is looking for a cool level to make: