YesNoOk

MUGEN Guild's Game Of The Year 2017 (GOTY Edition) (Read 11634 times)

Started by Titiln, December 29, 2017, 01:32:51 am
Share this topic:
MUGEN Guild's Game Of The Year 2017 (GOTY Edition)
#1  December 29, 2017, 01:32:51 am
i don't think what's left of 2017 will see anything impressive so let's talk about the best new game we played in 2017, gamers.

my choice is super mario odyssey. despite having a mediocre soundtrack by mario standards and having probably the worst ending in the series it was still a very good game. the hat stuff means the game doesn't get stale anywhere as quick as most 3d platformers do.

bonerable mentions:
fire emblem heroes: it is worth a mention because i probably spent more time playing this than any other game
zelda breath of the wild: awesome game until i got tired of it halfway into the little story it had
PLAYER UNKNOWN'S BATTLE GROUNDS: i've never played this and never will, but it's in every goty list. can't be absent from mine

now post yours!!!
Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:43:01 am by Titiln
Re: MUGEN Guild's Game Of The Year 2017 (GOTY Edition)
#2  December 29, 2017, 02:01:03 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Zelda Breath of the Wild: magical experience, justified my support of the Switch

Cuphead: is the shit, git gud or git out

Sonic Mania: hell yeah boy it's good that Sonic had a good game this year

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds: lead to some good streaming content I enjoyed, but damn if I'll ever play it

Also the various mobage that I continue to waste my time on

Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#3  December 29, 2017, 02:14:44 am
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Top 3:
-Super Mario Odyssey: Bought the Switch just for this game. Glad that I did, as it might be (imo) the best Mario game that ever existed, so far.

-Persona 5: Had an issue with a dungeon (fuck Dungeon 5 and how long it is), but overall, it's oozes with style at every corner. And I love it.

-Tekken 7: Prob the only Tekken that actually got me serious into playing and learning what the mechanics have to offer. Combos felt fun (but super strict) to do along with how satisfying some of the fights can be when you win with an inch of your life left (with the slo-mo elevating that feel of "oh god, am I going to win!?"). Story could have been better, but the ending fight, not Shin Akuma's, was worth it all around.

Honorable mentions:
-Breath of the Wild: Just got started playing this game. It's fun, but gets somewhat tedious at times. Never like the implementation of motion controls in this game.

-Sonic Mania: Very beautiful game all around. Too bad that I didn't finish it.

-Cuphead: Animation and artstyle are so damn good. Can't finish it tho cause it loves to kick my ass.

-Yakuza 0: Good introduction to the Yakuza series. Didn't think it had enough going for GOTY, especially with maybe some pacing issues and maybe some glitches here n there.
#4  December 29, 2017, 02:22:12 am
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Nier: Automata
Got this game on a whim and loved every second of it. Excellent story, excellent character design, something something robot booty. Game's cool.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
I've never really been a fan of Zelda. This game changed that. I love the changes they made to the usual Zelda mythos(and i kinda like the weapon degradation system. Kinda.) Story's bit weak thought.

Sonic Mania
Legit ont of the best Sonic games to come out in what 5 years? Managed to get Sonic out of the shit cycle(albeit temporarily). Also has an amazing soundtrack.

Persona 5
i never got to finish this(R.I.P my PS4) but what i played was great. Good story, good characters, good gameplay. Its all good.

Super Mario Odyssey
Take everything i said about BOTW and apply it here.

Damn this year was great for video games.
Roll on 2018!
#5  December 30, 2017, 03:11:38 pm
My game of the year is Doki Doki Literature Club but this is mainly because I didn't have time to play most of the big releases of 2017. Honorable mentions go to Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy and Batman: The Enemy Within.

I probably would have chosen Odyssey if I had gotten to play more than 20 minutes of it. I also still need to play Breath of the Wild, Horizon, Nier Automata, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5... the list goes on. This was a great year for my real life and career but a piss poor year for having time to game.
#6  December 30, 2017, 04:05:04 pm
I've played Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Sonic Mania so far this year.
These games were wonderful.
#7  December 30, 2017, 04:25:26 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Yakuza 0 for me I think. Up there as the best in the series imo.

Honorable mention to Prey, though it went badly downhill by the end sadly.

Did not play anywhere near enough new games this year.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#8  December 30, 2017, 04:48:07 pm
Zelda and Horizon Zero Dawn for me, although both got expansions that were a big let down compared to the massive world that could have been exploited so much better.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:06:10 pm by Byakko
#9  December 30, 2017, 05:09:09 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Sonic Mania: When dedicated fans get called to make a classic Sonic game, they deliver in a BIG, BIG way. It's everything to quench that 2D thirst and more.

Super Mario Odyssey: Same with Titmouse, everything but the gameplay is just short of that classic Mario quality we know and love, but is still good regardless.

Stardew Valley: OMG, same with Mania but when just one guy brings back everything you love about Harvest Moon and adds a little bit of Rune Factory as well....DELICIOUS.

LoZ: Breath of the Wild: Amazing open world gameplay, lots of distractions to keep you occupied, and amazing characters....shame about the expansions not bringing out more of the world (a little bit of world building with the Champion's Ballad but...) either way, a definite buy for anyone looking for a title for the Wii U (rip) or your Switch.

Edit: I just remembered that Marvelous/Natsume actually released a new Harvest Moon game, but it's a shadow of it's former self. It's good for beginners to get into but veterans might want to stick to Animal Parade or a Wonderful Life for a console HM game. Sad because this the first PC release of a original game and not a port. Funny how inspired fans can make better games than the core companies at this point.

EDITEDIT: For me my pick would be Sonic Mania on the fact that this is a big win for Sonic fans.
Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:16:59 pm by R565
#10  December 30, 2017, 10:04:26 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
- Hat In Time for me, cute platformer with workshop support for lots more potential.
- Cuphead, not as challenging or rewarding as I was hoping for but it was nice to see another run n gun and one that got mainstream appeal, neato!

Games I played but weren't good enough for GOTY
- Agents of Mayhem was a fun action game but heavily disappointing from Volition... well not really everything they've made since 2010 is pretty bad.

- Persona 5, fun gameplay and kickass soundtrack but fuck me I could not enjoy the story, it blew its load early on and sadly it throws out everything good it had at the end for the sake of keeping megaten tradition and focusing on a god final boss.

Disappointment of the year
- River City Ransom Underground, gameplay has great combo potential but frustrating enemies, boring structure, cryptic move controls, and baffling design choices ruin a lot of the experience and ultimately lead to a bland and frustrating slog of a game. Why can't anyone make a good beat em up nowadays?
Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:08:22 pm by nick.
#11  December 30, 2017, 10:29:05 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
In no particular order:

Resident Evil 7
After the series sloped hard into the dopey action shooter genre with the last few main titles, this was an astounding return to form for Resident Evil.  Super creepy with a great atmosphere.

Night In The Woods
Not a whole lot of gameplay in this one, but an amazing story with incredibly well written and believable characters and dialogue.  It has really charming minimalist art style that I also really loved.

LoZ: Breath of the Wild
Basically what everyone else already said.  Awesome new direction for the Zelda series, executed excellently.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
I've easily spent more time playing this expansion this year than any other game.  It simplified a lot of the needlessly complicated and repetitive stuff about a lot of the classes, which really helped the combat.  Plus, the MSQ was great.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
It's just... perfect.  The original Crash games were a huge part of my childhood, and they managed to recreate everything perfectly.  The updated graphics are fucking beautiful, too.  It's miles and miles ahead of any other HD collection or remake.

Cuphead
The run-and-gun gameply is tight and fun, but I'm absolutely in love with the '30s-era aesthetic.

Honorable Mention:  Doki Doki Literature Club
A little too short to be a contender for GotY, but this game was definitely an unforgettable experience.
#12  December 30, 2017, 10:33:52 pm
  • Suika cute
    • sites.google.com/site/roysquadrocks/
Sonic Mania: The newest classic 2D Sonic game the everyone wants and loves! This is the new retro!

Cuphead: The animations and gameplay are so damn vintage AF and bring me back in the ol' 1930s! I love it!

Super Mario Odyssey: The bestest 3D Mario game about traveling around the world! New Donk City was my fav!
Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:47:48 pm by RoySquadRocks
#13  December 31, 2017, 01:41:47 am
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
TBH I got nothing but Imma gonna say Cuphead. I haven't tried it out yet but it looks like real fun.
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#14  December 31, 2017, 03:05:34 am
that goty post is so worthless you should go work for giantbomb
#15  December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
The Zodiac Motherfucker list is the best GOTY list on the web tho
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#16  December 31, 2017, 04:33:42 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
I didn't play Breath of the Wild or Total War Warhammer 2 yet so I guess Metroid: Samus Returns is my GOTY.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#17  December 31, 2017, 05:53:32 pm
    • Peru
I'm with Byakko on this. Horizon Zero Dawn and BOTW are mi favorite games.
#18  December 31, 2017, 06:15:34 pm
  • IRYO = I respect your opinion
  • IRYO If you don’t like things I like.
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/n00b12slab/
The Cuphead list is the best GOTY list on the web.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#19  January 02, 2018, 01:43:13 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Why did you copy Speedpreacher's post and replace the name of the person he was talking about with the name of a game?  If you're going to steal someone's post and try to make it look like you wrote it, at least make sure it's still a coherent thought by the time you're done editing it.