YesNoOk

Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: October COTM candidates!) (Read 81344 times)

Started by Umezono, January 10, 2014, 05:44:48 am
Share this topic:
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: Caliban by Blagoy & Acey)
#101  January 27, 2014, 04:39:28 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I'd rather do a more complete character than, I'll check out Ridley.
Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:05:02 am by Umezono
#102  January 31, 2014, 06:05:08 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Last time I update without anything of substance but I just want o issue an apology for seeming like I dropped this cold. Got a job at McDonalds and they had to be assholes and give the new hire 5 to 12:30 shifts twice a week on top of other days... so I haven't had much time for MUGEN. I also want to issue an apology to people who requested characters I may never do even though I initially accepted them, I honestly am terrible at fighting games and its making my opinions feel like total bullshit. Thanks if youre still hype for my next review, it will come soon I promise, lifes just been getting in the way.
#103  January 31, 2014, 06:17:44 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
It's okay dude, you sort out these problems first, we can all wait after all.
Still hyped for your char reviews of my stuff! :D
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino
#104  January 31, 2014, 06:19:58 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
take ur time bro...but im still hyped. lol
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#105  February 04, 2014, 01:46:35 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Hey guys I know it's been awhile and I have a backlog of requests to do, but to get back into the swing of things I decided to do a "fun" character, hence this is a more laid-back, "fun" review. I've also decided to change my metrics to 0/10 score with a "enjoyability" factor replacing the AI. I pondered how I would apply such a subjective metric to source accurate characters like various Ryus, when I decided since Pitchfork can rate the classics based on how they enjoyed them so can I. For the score out of ten, I will simply multiply my average by 2. Because it is an average please do not take these scores to heart. They can be incredibly skewed by a certain metric ie. someone has shit sounds but everything else about the character is perfect. Its just some fun little stats I'm putting up. As such I will change "overall" to "average score" to make it less misleading.

To get back into things I decided to do Galivan by Tokei. I chose this guy for various reasons: a) he is cool b) he has an english readme. Since I did not yet include a screenshot of him in action and only his super/intro bg as the preview gif, here is some info on where he comes from: His sprites and presumably his effects are ripped from the Japanese SNES game Cosmo Police Galivan II: Arrow of Justice, which is a sequel to the first Cosmo Police Galivan game which was for NES.

The sprite itself looks like this:

So yeah your basic SNES spritework, looks good and okay on your MUGEN screen but also extremely dated as hell, which it can't really help. His sprites are kinda roughly ripped, but again its hard to make them not look sloppy, since the sprite itself is a pixellated mess. He has no extra palettes besides his default. The effects he uses from the game also have not aged very well, though I was somewhat certain Tokei added an extra hitspark on the fourth A in his autocombo, it was actually just a skewed and supercompressed version of one of his projectiles. So graphics aren't too appealling unless you are really into building a retro-styled MUGEN (would be especially cool if someone was working on some sort of SNES fighters kinda thing). As for sounds he's got those typical japanese creator flourishes they were so well known for in the days of winmugen, which means random bgm from the game playing at length when a certain move is input. This can get rather annoying, especially when you whiff one of his supers and that fucking BGM keeps playing for god knows how long while the match continues as normal. He uses generic hitsounds which are much, MUCH louder than the voice samples on him and his helpers, which imo is kinda lazy and inconsistent but that is just me being a tightwad.

One draw he has is the intro, which is one of my favorites. It plays its own music, and shows his ugly ass, (and what I am assuming is his) NES graphic civilian sprite pulling off the transformation set against the backdrop of the .gif I have played. He does it via this funky 80s looking UFO thing.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Now let's be honest, you don't care about any of that shit- you care about the gameplay right. Galivan's got S tier gameplay. First off he is -technically- 6 button gameplay though in reality he is like 1-3 depending on what you're doing with it. Pressing A repeatedly does all his normals in an autocombo fashion, with the fourth hit causing knockaway. It comes out instantly and is extremely fast, and the hitboxes on this thing are pretty suspect. Even for the minuscule amount of damage it does it is very easy to overpower foes simply by mashing A like the close elevator button when some sweaty obese guy is walkin up on you. I originally took some pictures without hitboxes so I could demonstrate the way Tokei used his effects, but I felt a set showing off its CLSN stuff worked better. Thankfully Tokei though to throw in some blue to give it some semblance of lower priority.

His specials are also performed with just A as well, and he has a couple. He does have a varied number of options and can deal with a lot of different stuff with his toolkit. His standard qcf + A fireball is Prism Wave, which has him take out his sword and hold it there as it shoots two waves. He can quickly cancel into it at any point before the fourth A of his autocombo, much like his qcb + A, which I am assuming is called his Jakaikyaku. (note: this is because in the english readme, jakaikyaku's input is listed as B, B + A which I believe is a typo. Note however he can do a ground version of his spark ball/capsule bomber by B, B + A but if that move is jakaikyaku his qcb move was never on the readme in the first place.) It just has him charge into the opponent, which causes knockdown. Both moves are good for pressure, though the recovery time on Prism Wave is thankfully pretty unsafe and give us a semblance of balance to hold onto for dear life. Here is a shot of the prism wave:

Even more basic is his Hyper Lei, performed simply with f + A, which is a single gunshot much like Falco's neutral B in Smash except way faster and does less damage. In can be comboed into from close range but does such shit damage and I'm unsure if anything but the supers combo from it, in which case youd be better off just mashing A and then canceling rather than trying to cancel into the stricter window off of the forward A. His b + A, which has no title, is a launcher, but he has no air combos or actual followups. It's funny what you can do with tho, you can launch him up, jump, do one of his air fireballs, drop down and hit him with a couple Hyper Leis and do a slide kick (performed with d + A.) However this still does like absolutely no damage, which gives you no incentive to actually do any of that. The main draw is it looks funny and you can be creative with him at the cost of being useless.

He has also has a dp + A move with Cosmo Boomerang, which has him throw one of his prism waves. Doing a backwards dp (b, d, b) + A will activate his Laser Braid, which has nothing to do with braiding your hair. Instead he pauses to activate his beam sword and then slashes you. It's a mostly useless move, cant't be comboed into and takes forever to start up. It's main draw is higher damage output if you combo into one of his dino damage supers from it, but since pretty much everything combos into a super with Galivan and they do fucking huge amounts of damage anyway you may want to weigh the practicality there.

I'll start with pictures of his Hyper Lei and b + A. Dig the misplaced hitspark on the back A lmfao.

And here are his Cosmo Boomerang and Laser Braid:

Before I forget to mention this, he has a funny, nonsensical hitbox on his boomerang, making it less useful compared to most of his other fireballs. It also moves in a rather strange pattern, arcing towards the floor, check it out here:

Finishing off are his air fireballs, Spark Ball (air f + A) and Capsule Bomber (air b + A). Trust me when I say there is no difference besides the direction of the fireball, even the sprite used is the same. Spark Ball flies directly horizontal making it useful for catching that launched opponent or denying a jump, and capsule bomber pretty much functions as a slower version of Akuma's air fireball.

Now, more interesting is the rest of the buttons on Galivan's 6 button gameplay. B and C each call a different helper. B will call in some grey dude who looks like a hybrid between Skeletor, Spiderman and the alien from Alien. It takes him about 2 seconds before he goes through the opponent with his freaky tail thing. It really isn't that useful besides starting up before the autocombo and adding an extra hit. C will summon a girl. She screams a little bit and does a shoryuken. That's all these buttons do. They are actually pretty useless. In fact most of Galivan's shit is useless, because his supers do so much damage there is no need to do anything else than burn meter. You can call them out at the same time to create some interesting setup situations for your supers. A couple pics of his first two helpers:

X, Y, and Z are the most important parts of Galivan's gameplay, they're his meter burning buttons. Normally I'd go in ascending order of hwo much power each move takes but I'd like to start with a 3 bar move Galivan possesses. When he presses Z, boss music starts playing and this big motherfucking dragon warrior thing with a giant sword starts running around the screen. It is impossible to hit him, and he hurts both of you. It quickly turns thing into a frantic gamble as his charging moves appear to be unblockable and his blockable move is a fullscreen attack that comes out randomly. It's fucking hilarious and a sort of last ditch roll the dice thing you can do with 3 bars of meter. It's actually worth it for the music. I dumped a bunch of pics of this bloodbath for you below:

Now the major thing to know about Galivan's supers: they're all you need to win. If you get a confirm off the more expensive ones they do like half health at 150% mugen health. They are performed with X and Y which do nothing unless you do a directional command before them. That's a lot of health. They're also all cinematic and hilarious. Mega Break,  performed with qcf + X, is the least conspicuous of the bunch. Fittingly, it takes one bar of meter. It is a standard Wave super in which he charges up for a moment and sends out two large Prism Waves front and back. Does about the same damage as 2 successful autocombos, and can be comboed into easily just like all the others. It's not useful unless you dont know the right times to burn meter Here's the cinematic:

He has a super that take two bars and this is where it gets fun. Galivan Blue Slash is performed with qcb + X, and to put this in perspective does about 35 to 40% damage roughly at 150% damage. Galivan turns on the beam sword, attacks, does another cinematic, attacks again to drain more damage, and then another fucking cinematic with the moon appearing for no apparent reason, for even more damage. There is no complex pattern to get the followups, it is done for you. It's awesome, and plays music too, which will continue after the super or if you whiff. It is the best super ever and probably his most useful. This dude goes straight anime on fools with it. Here's the cinematic(s), grab the popcorn homie:

His other supers are both 3 bars. The first is fucking boring tho, its called Cosmic Crash (done with qcb + Y) and its just him charging at you with his sword. First of all, for some reason this does less damage than his two bar super, and lacks the fucking cool cinematic action and, interestingly enough, comboing into it with the autocombo results in it doing less damage. It has nothing to do with his clsns (which on this move and his others are of course ridiculous) it just does less damage. I'm not sure what kind of coding fuckup is responsible for that but it sure is unappealing.

However his other 3 bar super takes second best. It has one of the most balling names ever: Big Magnum. That sounds like the hero of a 70s blaxploitation movie. Holy shit its cool too. Music plays, a cinematic with him holding his "big magnum" (one of them ;) ) starts, and then his UFO comes from fucking nowhere. It grows two sizes bigger as it lands, opens up its hatch, and lets loose its own big magnum on the poor motherfucker. At 150% damage ratio, this does half health. It can be comboed into the wave pretty much takes up a big vertical line on the screen. This thing is massively overpowered and massively hilarious. Have the Big Magnum cinematic:

So 4 broken supers, and everything else is useless. Therein lies the charm of Galivan, at 90% completion rate according to Tokei, who's main function seems to be fucking broken and hilarious. He is amazing but objectively a shitty character for this lmao.  Either way this is something for people who aren't sticklers for quality MUGEN content and just like to have a little fun with broken stuff. Otherwise, I'd pass up on him unless you are a collecter, diehard fan of retro jap stuff, or like spritework like this. By no means a good character, Galivan shines as one of the many oddball creations Japanese creators have put out. However if you can't look past the fact most of his stuff is either useless or totally broken,a nd the fact his code is a gigantic mess, you might end up just suffering an aneurysm for your troubles. The gameplay is just horrid but so funny. That's why, since this character is cool like yours truly, he gets bonus points! Good job Tokei, America salutes you.

Download Link: http://mug3.anikipedia.com/chara.htm (first on last row, says Gyariban)

Presentation: 2.5/5

Sprites: 3/5

Sounds: 2.5/5

Fun: 4.5/5

Gameplay: 1.5/5

Overall: 5.6/10

Thanks for waiting fans, hope you enjoy!!
Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:50:16 pm by Umezono
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: Galivan by Tokei)
#106  February 04, 2014, 02:10:32 am
  • Engage me____ mother f_____
  • Killing parents since 1986
That is a good review. Yeah, looks like this character has GFX placed in wrong...places. At least its fun, right?
So, when will be next review and who will be next? Just want to know.
#107  February 04, 2014, 02:18:47 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Fixed some broken images and typos on Galivan entry.

@BaganSmashBros: Thank you. And yes the misalignments are a very glaring problem, though I didn't really go into it cause the pics kinda speak for themselves.

Next review is uncertain, I am still taking whatever free time I get to test and take notes on various characters. Expect one this weekend maybe? No promises, but they will come.

Oh, and who will be next. I was thinking doing Major Force soon, who was requested by Blagoy, who very gracefully responded to my Caliban review and requested I do another. However most likely you will see Clone Koa by Yuu Yagami or Amazing Cyclops by Loganir.
Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:23:12 am by Umezono
#108  February 04, 2014, 02:25:11 am
Ok, at least he didn`t used too good gfx.
Just make it as good as this one. Good luck. now i will go and buy some soda
#109  February 04, 2014, 02:27:57 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
btw @bagansmashbros: I am working on your Ridley. I do have some feedback for it actually. Do you intend to update Ridley in the future if any of my criticisms are valid? It has the makings of a solid character.

Also I'll try. My reviews have been evolving in format over time. With this review, I felt there wasn't so much game theory to talk about when his gameplay was essentially nonexistent, so I more heavily relied on face value descriptions of attacks and lots of pictures. With characters like Caliban, who had gameplay albeit badly done, I rely more on text. It'll be interesting to see where I go from here.
#110  February 04, 2014, 04:08:42 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
oh and some quick info: this took me roughly an hour to write, notation on him was like half a page on microsoft.

currently my review backlog has shifted around a bit. i have given up reviewing kuuga cause i suck with him. ive also given up on luke for now, sorry hannibal. however i am way more interested in mari, which is probably going to come at some point.

this will place my backlog on just requests at: clone koa, major force, and ridley. i will definitely take more requests as the other dudes im looking at like mari, cyclops etc are all just possibles ive come up with myself and not anything i have an obligation to.

@yagami yuu: can you possibly pm or post here explaining how clone koa's life system works exactly?
Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:52:17 am by Umezono
#111  February 04, 2014, 04:34:49 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
@yagami yuu: can you possibly pm or post here explaining how clone koa's life system works exactly?

It's really easy to explain so I'll do it here., Whenever she at least has one of these balloons <or lives> at hand she can use the life regen level 3 move. Other than that the lives and the whole item system is there for "the funsies" and coding fun hehe.
#112  February 04, 2014, 04:51:40 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
oh that makes sense :skull:

im gonna add you on skype so i can continue bothering you with system questions, if only cause even though i cannot seem to understand or get some of this characters stuff to work i want to review it so bad cause its cool.
#113  February 04, 2014, 05:20:53 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
Understood, well you can always contact me there so if you got questions don't hesistate.
#114  February 04, 2014, 06:22:50 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
holy moly there were a lot of typos. everything should be fixed now.
#115  February 04, 2014, 09:09:37 am
@Umezono:He is finished, but i plan to make few mini-updates that won`t heavely affect him, like win quotes, roars of Neo/Ridley-X/Zero Mission Ridley for "X" palette, etc. So, every important criticisms will be valid unless one of them will be about him being too big for reasons i will not explain unless he is really too big for MvC/classic fighter character, then thats OK. Just don`t use 12th palette for review because its super armor regenerating mode.
Spoiler: Look here if you want spoilers for this character (click to see content)
#116  February 04, 2014, 01:55:39 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
Nice job with the /10 rating system :)
#117  February 04, 2014, 02:14:56 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I agree, the review overall is a slight improvement over your previous ones too, with all the images and all. It's so good! The smaller sections (broken up by the images in the spoiler tags) make it easier to go through. I wouldn't know how to improve them at this point, maybe posting snippets of code (that are so bad they must be seen) to back up a description of a bad move. But adding any more images or ratings isn't neccesairy, the balance is good now.
And I dunno sometimes it's even more fun to read a review about a bad something versus a good one, haha :wiseguy:.

this will place my backlog on just requests at: clone koa, major force, and ridley.
And Vegeta Z2 :) Hope you didn't forget! That is if you feel like it ofcourse, doing reviews against your will will defeat the purpose of them being as fun for you to do as it is for people to read them.
#118  February 04, 2014, 02:54:27 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Yeah. Almost forgot Vegeta. He is on my list.

Note this one waz a bit shorter sectionwise as I did not have much tp say. With Caliban each special had specific uses and associated bnbs to point out, so more text. Hope this wont turn too many people off :P
#119  February 04, 2014, 11:03:13 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Keep em coming Umezono,they certainly are a fun thing to read
#120  February 05, 2014, 04:18:41 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Thanks means a lot people enjoy this
Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:14:18 am by Umezono