YesNoOk

Rurouni Kenshin: Soul And Sword Full Game WIP (Read 903137 times)

Started by Aoshi24, June 30, 2012, 11:45:58 pm
Share this topic:
Rurouni Kenshin: Soul And Sword Full Game WIP
New #1  June 30, 2012, 11:45:58 pm
    • soulandsword.ruroken.com
To all Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X fans, your dream fighting game is coming to a MUGEN near you!  I've been working on this project for a long time now and I've posted this in other mugen forums.  I just wanted to spread the word before I make a public beta release in August.  Here are some info, images, and gameplay videos. If you have any ideas or would like to contribute, please let me know! You can find more updates and gameplay videos in my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/A0shi24. Thanks.

FOR THE BETA RELEASE CHECK OUT... http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/rurouni-kenshin-soul-and-sword-beta-1-0-1-1-161481.0.html

FULL GAME SUMMARY:
+ 20 characters/ 14 stages  (beta version will have 8 or 9 characters/8 stages)
+ 6 attack buttons
+ Counter/parry system similar to Last Blade (but not exact)
+ Guard push, air/roll recovery, and wake-up attack
+ Chain combos and 2/3 button hypers (ex. QCF LP+HP) similar to MVC
+ Level 3 desperation move (low life and max power like KOF series)
+ Finishing opponents with hyper moves awards player a victory movie

KENKI SYSTEM INFO:
+ Kenki indicator will be located just below the lifebar. The kenki swirls faster as it reaches max level.
+ Over time, the Kenki fills up until it is in max level. This can also be filled up faster with taunts, first hits, counters, and guard push.
+ When Kenki mode is reached, the player is rewarded with slow health and power regeneration.
+ However, Kenki will reset if you use any super/hyper moves.
+ Kenki mode will also allow players to perform a Combo Breaker or to extend their own combos. Using this move will also reset Kenki.
+ All my RK characters will have the same Kenki system except Soujiro and Shishio. Soujiro will not have kenki (like the anime/manga story) while Shishio will have infinite kenki after you beat him in 1 round.

CHARACTER LIST
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

SCREENPACK PREVIEW

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS

Re: Yukishiro Enishi and Sagara Sanosuke WIP
#2  July 01, 2012, 05:15:40 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Actually...I don't have any moves per say, but if you're open to suggestions to intros, an idea for Sagara just came to mind, might be something a little recognizable for fans.  Have him practicing swinging his zanbatou around practice wooden logs, which would be cut in half a second after he's finished swinging, then take notice of the opponent, similar to what he does in the intro to the show.

Though I'm not sure if the logs then would stay, or disappear after he faces his opponent, somewhat like M. Bison does after he discards his cape...

Other than that, all I can say is it's great to see more Rurouni Kenshin characters, so I wish the best of luck.
#3  July 02, 2012, 04:53:32 am
We can probably make that intro happen. Not sure if I should include the trees though.  I feel the trees will look out of place if the stage he is fighting in is not a forest. But I can definitely see him doing some practice swings before the match.

Thanks for the suggestion and the support man!
#4  July 02, 2012, 06:23:15 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Yea, the trees being out of place came to mind as well.  Unfortunately, it's then a call if it's better to have such a reference put in, or just skip on it entirely for the sake of not having something so odd being there.

I was hoping that maybe you could replace the trees with wooden logs, or maybe even the straw dummies from Samurai Showdown, or something like that.  Something a little less.... noticeable than full grown trees.
#5  July 18, 2012, 11:42:30 pm

Here is an update video on Enishi's progress.  It showcases some of what Enishi can do in terms of combos and how the Nerves of Insanity will work. 

Notes:
* Enishi will be the one of the few characters in my RK game that can perform special and desperation moves in the air.  This leads to better air juggling possibilities.
* While he has great reach, he will also have a pretty slow start up and recovery time.  I'll make sure he its not too slow and he doesn't have infinite priority.
* He also has an unorthodox way of crouching to the point where he can simply duck through some projectiles.  To compensate, I might lower his defense. I'll also try to cover his head with blue clsn as much as I can.
* He will need low health and max power level in order to perform Nerves of Insanity.  (I am still debating whether he should be at 200 or 300 health)
* In Nerves of Insanity mode: 
          1) his power bar will deplete until it is 0. Nerves of insanity is over when it reaches 0.
          2) Enishi gains superarmor.  He will not react to opponent attacks, but damage still applies.
          3) He gains the ability to teleport, but his defense will drop (maybe)
          4) Attack power increases and able to attack continously even if guarded. 
          5) His level 1-2 desperation attacks will be unblockable but once used his nerves of insanity goes away.

Moves List:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I am currently editing the sprites (just basic recoloring and minor tweaks), adding 2 more crouching basic attacks, adding more voice clips, fixing damage values, anims, and velocities, and just making sure the character feels as smooth as the rest of my chars.  I am also fixing any bugs that I come up with especially with the nerves of insanity armor effect.   

I welcome any ideas or suggestions that you guys may have.  If all goes well, I can hopefully get this released before the RK live action movie! I hope..  ;P
Re: Enishi and Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin WIP
#6  July 25, 2012, 08:52:57 pm
Sorry for the double post, but I have some updates on Sagara Sanosuke.

DanMT is making great progress with the sprites.  So far he finished standing, crouching, and majority of the get-hit sprites.  Here are some samples:

I am still fully concentrating on Enishi but at least I finally set up the cns and air templates for Sano.  I managed to perfect the super armor code for Enishi so I can definitely copy/paste the code for Sano's Zanza mode. 
Stay tuned for more info!
#7  October 04, 2012, 03:59:43 am
  • There is only one truth!
Long time since i posted... Anyway, would it be possible to utilize Sano's Centrifiuge swing for the Zanbatou as a level 3 super, the move he used verus Kenshin in their fight?  Maybe the Zanbatou can break with that move so it cant be done again, but the damage can be pretty high IF it makes contact.  Since the swinging would be overhead, it could act as a protective umbrella during the execution, but low attacks and low projcectiles could still hit him if below the spinning blade. And against Saito he used a multipunch technique that i thought was pretty cool (until none of em hit saito, and he did the same move back but with greater effect lol), would that be a couple of possible moves to incorporate?
#8  October 04, 2012, 12:46:03 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I just realized I never noticed the last two posts. Great progress on both Enishi and Sanosuke. :)
#9  October 04, 2012, 06:55:26 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
i totally missed these post as well lol. sano looks great by the way :D
mugen or nothin

#10  October 04, 2012, 09:22:36 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
stand with base (shen of kof 2003)
get hits with kof base too n a nice reshading...
good luck... it seems good! :iceburn:
#11  November 13, 2012, 06:54:35 am
I'm really sorry for the lack of updates.. I got hit with real life roadblocks once again. Good news is that I made a lot of progress with Enishi and I thought it would be good to share it with you all through this preview video.

Notes:
+ All sprites have been re-edited.  Basics, get hits, attacks, and victory/taunts are all finished.
+ All basic attacks, specials, hypers, and nerves of insanity are now complete.
+ Kofuku zetsugi (the move that defeated Kenshin) is a level 2 hyper move.  Enishi goes into a pose and it can be held until you are ready to attack.
+ Nerves of insanity is now bug free. It can only be done with low health and power level 3.  With nerves of insanity, Enishi will not flinch against any attacks and he can perform infinite juggles for a limited time. It lasts for approx 6-7 secs if you don't get hit. Otherwise you lose 1 sec for each hit received.  Normal damage is still applied.
+ All necessary voices were added.
- Need to fix collision boxes and any sprite alignments
- Need to add intro against Kenshin/Battousai
- Need to add AI

I hope to release this as soon as I finish everything.

BAD NEWS:  My partner for the Sanosuke project decided to retire from Mugen due to personal issues. With that, Sano will be in hiatus until I find another spriter.  I can take a crack at it, but we all know it would take me 10 yrs to complete a whole sprite sheet. Sorry!
#12  November 13, 2012, 08:16:33 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
glad to see some progress man :D, sorry to here about your bud quiting mugen though. best of luck man
mugen or nothin

#13  November 13, 2012, 03:34:07 pm
Thanks man. Since the Sano project got cancelled for the moment, I'll probably make Shishio Makoto instead.  I actually have a complete sprite set to work with since I got permission from Warner. 
#14  November 13, 2012, 07:22:40 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
thats great man. yea i think i seen that shishio before, i know he will turn out great
mugen or nothin

#15  November 29, 2012, 09:32:41 pm
Hope to see Okita souji soon,as he was one of the deadliest fighters during the bakumatsu and feared captain of the shinsengumi.It would be a fitting tribute to add him in the rurouni kenshin roster and would be the perfect answer to the unfinished duel between him and battousai.I think making Okita a boss tier or a semi boss tier char will be a good idea and keep up the good work with the rest of ur project.Only missing the gem of the whole crew  :)
Re: Okita Souji and Sagara Sanosuke REVIVED
#16  February 19, 2013, 06:14:48 am
I found some motivation to continue working on Sagara Sanosuke.  With that, I also decided to work on Okita Souji from the Shinsengumi (based on the Rurouni Kenshin anime). Note that these characters will be for MUGEN 1.0 only.  Check out the preview video on the first post. Enjoy!

Okita Status:  Sprites = only 1%  Coding = 90%  Sounds = 100%
Sagara Sanosuke:  Sprites = 20% Coding = 5%  Sounds = 0%
#17  February 19, 2013, 07:16:46 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • odin787.deviantart.com/
Great job with this man, as Kenshin fan to another I wish you success on you project. :)

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist. You are plugging into a very restrictive system that is going to push and mold you, and is going to make your art totally useless and ineffective." --David Cronenberg
#18  February 19, 2013, 04:37:58 pm
Thanks man. I will try my best. 

To answer your question on youtube, he will definitely have a different special/hyper moveset from Saito.  Basic attacks will be similar since Shinsengumi were all known for their expertise in the stabbing technique.  I did a lot of research on the real life Okita so hopefully it translates well to a fighting game perspective.  Most moves will be similar to Sanada Kojiro from Last Blade since he/she was based on Okita. 

Okita will have his well-known triple thrust technique known as Mumyo ken and he will also have multiple counter moves based on his expertise in Tennen Rishin Ryu.  Unlike Saito's repetitive gatotsu moves, Okita will be more flexible with his charging moves.  For example, he can cancel out of his triple thrust into an upper stab.  Trust me.. he will definitely be a different experience from my other RK characters.  :2thumbsup:
#19  February 19, 2013, 05:25:30 pm
Definitely creative and original with Okita,i just checked ur vid and iam extremely impressed.His normal standing sprite looks pretty neat exc;luding the Kojiroh lb2 sprites.Keep up the good work with Okita.Ohgaki made a LB1 kojiroh sanda,though it resembled abit of washizuka,his speed supers were impressive,the one that goes through the enemy with 4 stabs and finishes beautifully,u can check his char too.
#20  February 19, 2013, 08:03:30 pm
I'll definitely check it out and hopefully I can get some inspiration for new moves. Thanks for the feedback!