YesNoOk

Rurouni Kenshin: Soul And Sword Full Game WIP (Read 902944 times)

Started by Aoshi24, June 30, 2012, 11:45:58 pm
Share this topic:
Rurouni Kenshin: Soul And Sword Full Game WIP
New #1  June 30, 2012, 11:45:58 pm
    • soulandsword.ruroken.com
To all Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X fans, your dream fighting game is coming to a MUGEN near you!  I've been working on this project for a long time now and I've posted this in other mugen forums.  I just wanted to spread the word before I make a public beta release in August.  Here are some info, images, and gameplay videos. If you have any ideas or would like to contribute, please let me know! You can find more updates and gameplay videos in my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/A0shi24. Thanks.

FOR THE BETA RELEASE CHECK OUT... http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/rurouni-kenshin-soul-and-sword-beta-1-0-1-1-161481.0.html

FULL GAME SUMMARY:
+ 20 characters/ 14 stages  (beta version will have 8 or 9 characters/8 stages)
+ 6 attack buttons
+ Counter/parry system similar to Last Blade (but not exact)
+ Guard push, air/roll recovery, and wake-up attack
+ Chain combos and 2/3 button hypers (ex. QCF LP+HP) similar to MVC
+ Level 3 desperation move (low life and max power like KOF series)
+ Finishing opponents with hyper moves awards player a victory movie

KENKI SYSTEM INFO:
+ Kenki indicator will be located just below the lifebar. The kenki swirls faster as it reaches max level.
+ Over time, the Kenki fills up until it is in max level. This can also be filled up faster with taunts, first hits, counters, and guard push.
+ When Kenki mode is reached, the player is rewarded with slow health and power regeneration.
+ However, Kenki will reset if you use any super/hyper moves.
+ Kenki mode will also allow players to perform a Combo Breaker or to extend their own combos. Using this move will also reset Kenki.
+ All my RK characters will have the same Kenki system except Soujiro and Shishio. Soujiro will not have kenki (like the anime/manga story) while Shishio will have infinite kenki after you beat him in 1 round.

CHARACTER LIST
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

SCREENPACK PREVIEW

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS

Re: Yukishiro Enishi and Sagara Sanosuke WIP
#2  July 01, 2012, 05:15:40 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Actually...I don't have any moves per say, but if you're open to suggestions to intros, an idea for Sagara just came to mind, might be something a little recognizable for fans.  Have him practicing swinging his zanbatou around practice wooden logs, which would be cut in half a second after he's finished swinging, then take notice of the opponent, similar to what he does in the intro to the show.

Though I'm not sure if the logs then would stay, or disappear after he faces his opponent, somewhat like M. Bison does after he discards his cape...

Other than that, all I can say is it's great to see more Rurouni Kenshin characters, so I wish the best of luck.
#3  July 02, 2012, 04:53:32 am
We can probably make that intro happen. Not sure if I should include the trees though.  I feel the trees will look out of place if the stage he is fighting in is not a forest. But I can definitely see him doing some practice swings before the match.

Thanks for the suggestion and the support man!
#4  July 02, 2012, 06:23:15 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Yea, the trees being out of place came to mind as well.  Unfortunately, it's then a call if it's better to have such a reference put in, or just skip on it entirely for the sake of not having something so odd being there.

I was hoping that maybe you could replace the trees with wooden logs, or maybe even the straw dummies from Samurai Showdown, or something like that.  Something a little less.... noticeable than full grown trees.
#5  July 18, 2012, 11:42:30 pm

Here is an update video on Enishi's progress.  It showcases some of what Enishi can do in terms of combos and how the Nerves of Insanity will work. 

Notes:
* Enishi will be the one of the few characters in my RK game that can perform special and desperation moves in the air.  This leads to better air juggling possibilities.
* While he has great reach, he will also have a pretty slow start up and recovery time.  I'll make sure he its not too slow and he doesn't have infinite priority.
* He also has an unorthodox way of crouching to the point where he can simply duck through some projectiles.  To compensate, I might lower his defense. I'll also try to cover his head with blue clsn as much as I can.
* He will need low health and max power level in order to perform Nerves of Insanity.  (I am still debating whether he should be at 200 or 300 health)
* In Nerves of Insanity mode: 
          1) his power bar will deplete until it is 0. Nerves of insanity is over when it reaches 0.
          2) Enishi gains superarmor.  He will not react to opponent attacks, but damage still applies.
          3) He gains the ability to teleport, but his defense will drop (maybe)
          4) Attack power increases and able to attack continously even if guarded. 
          5) His level 1-2 desperation attacks will be unblockable but once used his nerves of insanity goes away.

Moves List:

I am currently editing the sprites (just basic recoloring and minor tweaks), adding 2 more crouching basic attacks, adding more voice clips, fixing damage values, anims, and velocities, and just making sure the character feels as smooth as the rest of my chars.  I am also fixing any bugs that I come up with especially with the nerves of insanity armor effect.   

I welcome any ideas or suggestions that you guys may have.  If all goes well, I can hopefully get this released before the RK live action movie! I hope..  ;P
Re: Enishi and Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin WIP
#6  July 25, 2012, 08:52:57 pm
Sorry for the double post, but I have some updates on Sagara Sanosuke.

DanMT is making great progress with the sprites.  So far he finished standing, crouching, and majority of the get-hit sprites.  Here are some samples:

I am still fully concentrating on Enishi but at least I finally set up the cns and air templates for Sano.  I managed to perfect the super armor code for Enishi so I can definitely copy/paste the code for Sano's Zanza mode. 
Stay tuned for more info!
#7  October 04, 2012, 03:59:43 am
  • There is only one truth!
Long time since i posted... Anyway, would it be possible to utilize Sano's Centrifiuge swing for the Zanbatou as a level 3 super, the move he used verus Kenshin in their fight?  Maybe the Zanbatou can break with that move so it cant be done again, but the damage can be pretty high IF it makes contact.  Since the swinging would be overhead, it could act as a protective umbrella during the execution, but low attacks and low projcectiles could still hit him if below the spinning blade. And against Saito he used a multipunch technique that i thought was pretty cool (until none of em hit saito, and he did the same move back but with greater effect lol), would that be a couple of possible moves to incorporate?
#8  October 04, 2012, 12:46:03 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I just realized I never noticed the last two posts. Great progress on both Enishi and Sanosuke. :)
#9  October 04, 2012, 06:55:26 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
i totally missed these post as well lol. sano looks great by the way :D
mugen or nothin

#10  October 04, 2012, 09:22:36 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil

stand with base (shen of kof 2003)
get hits with kof base too n a nice reshading...
good luck... it seems good! :iceburn:
#11  November 13, 2012, 06:54:35 am
I'm really sorry for the lack of updates.. I got hit with real life roadblocks once again. Good news is that I made a lot of progress with Enishi and I thought it would be good to share it with you all through this preview video.

Notes:
+ All sprites have been re-edited.  Basics, get hits, attacks, and victory/taunts are all finished.
+ All basic attacks, specials, hypers, and nerves of insanity are now complete.
+ Kofuku zetsugi (the move that defeated Kenshin) is a level 2 hyper move.  Enishi goes into a pose and it can be held until you are ready to attack.
+ Nerves of insanity is now bug free. It can only be done with low health and power level 3.  With nerves of insanity, Enishi will not flinch against any attacks and he can perform infinite juggles for a limited time. It lasts for approx 6-7 secs if you don't get hit. Otherwise you lose 1 sec for each hit received.  Normal damage is still applied.
+ All necessary voices were added.
- Need to fix collision boxes and any sprite alignments
- Need to add intro against Kenshin/Battousai
- Need to add AI

I hope to release this as soon as I finish everything.

BAD NEWS:  My partner for the Sanosuke project decided to retire from Mugen due to personal issues. With that, Sano will be in hiatus until I find another spriter.  I can take a crack at it, but we all know it would take me 10 yrs to complete a whole sprite sheet. Sorry!
#12  November 13, 2012, 08:16:33 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
glad to see some progress man :D, sorry to here about your bud quiting mugen though. best of luck man
mugen or nothin

#13  November 13, 2012, 03:34:07 pm
Thanks man. Since the Sano project got cancelled for the moment, I'll probably make Shishio Makoto instead.  I actually have a complete sprite set to work with since I got permission from Warner. 
#14  November 13, 2012, 07:22:40 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
thats great man. yea i think i seen that shishio before, i know he will turn out great
mugen or nothin

#15  November 29, 2012, 09:32:41 pm
Hope to see Okita souji soon,as he was one of the deadliest fighters during the bakumatsu and feared captain of the shinsengumi.It would be a fitting tribute to add him in the rurouni kenshin roster and would be the perfect answer to the unfinished duel between him and battousai.I think making Okita a boss tier or a semi boss tier char will be a good idea and keep up the good work with the rest of ur project.Only missing the gem of the whole crew  :)
Re: Okita Souji and Sagara Sanosuke REVIVED
#16  February 19, 2013, 06:14:48 am
I found some motivation to continue working on Sagara Sanosuke.  With that, I also decided to work on Okita Souji from the Shinsengumi (based on the Rurouni Kenshin anime). Note that these characters will be for MUGEN 1.0 only.  Check out the preview video on the first post. Enjoy!

Okita Status:  Sprites = only 1%  Coding = 90%  Sounds = 100%
Sagara Sanosuke:  Sprites = 20% Coding = 5%  Sounds = 0%
#17  February 19, 2013, 07:16:46 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • odin787.deviantart.com/
Great job with this man, as Kenshin fan to another I wish you success on you project. :)

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist. You are plugging into a very restrictive system that is going to push and mold you, and is going to make your art totally useless and ineffective." --David Cronenberg
#18  February 19, 2013, 04:37:58 pm
Thanks man. I will try my best. 

To answer your question on youtube, he will definitely have a different special/hyper moveset from Saito.  Basic attacks will be similar since Shinsengumi were all known for their expertise in the stabbing technique.  I did a lot of research on the real life Okita so hopefully it translates well to a fighting game perspective.  Most moves will be similar to Sanada Kojiro from Last Blade since he/she was based on Okita. 

Okita will have his well-known triple thrust technique known as Mumyo ken and he will also have multiple counter moves based on his expertise in Tennen Rishin Ryu.  Unlike Saito's repetitive gatotsu moves, Okita will be more flexible with his charging moves.  For example, he can cancel out of his triple thrust into an upper stab.  Trust me.. he will definitely be a different experience from my other RK characters.  :2thumbsup:
#19  February 19, 2013, 05:25:30 pm
Definitely creative and original with Okita,i just checked ur vid and iam extremely impressed.His normal standing sprite looks pretty neat exc;luding the Kojiroh lb2 sprites.Keep up the good work with Okita.Ohgaki made a LB1 kojiroh sanda,though it resembled abit of washizuka,his speed supers were impressive,the one that goes through the enemy with 4 stabs and finishes beautifully,u can check his char too.
#20  February 19, 2013, 08:03:30 pm
I'll definitely check it out and hopefully I can get some inspiration for new moves. Thanks for the feedback!
#21  February 19, 2013, 09:46:09 pm
Just going abit off topic ,u can add another lvl3 hyper to Battousai which involves him using his wakizashi,which can be used as a counter to lvl2 or lvl3 enemy supers and hypers only during low health same as Aoshi's Kaiten kenbu rokuren.It can be performed automatically if u counter ur opponents super or hyper at hand to hand range.Also u can upgrade battousais super and hyper potraits.Keep up the good work friend.
#22  March 06, 2013, 05:07:07 am
Thanks! I'll consider that move idea for Battousai. In the meantime, Okita has that same move concept but instead it's a level 2 hyper.

At the moment, I finished the sprites for Okita's basic movements such as walk, run, jump, crouching, defend.  Next up are the attack sprites.  For an idea of how he will play, check out this gameplay video.  Thanks for the support!

#23  March 06, 2013, 10:23:12 am
Okita looks a pretty solid and a polished char now though alot has to be done.Keep up the good work friend.
#24  March 11, 2013, 12:01:56 am
So I have some fantastic news.  My partner DanMT is back and it looks like Sanosuke will get done sooner than expected!  He finished all basic attack sprites and basic movements/get hits sprites.  I guess my next update will show a video preview.. For now, here are some samples.. Enjoy!

Posted: March 19, 2013, 03:43:25 pm
Not sure if there's anyone tracking this project but I wanted to get some input on what his zanbato stance should look like before I show another video showcase.  Here are some stances that I frankensprited from all of the available sprites that I have.  Please let me know which one you think is the best to use. Thanks!

#25  April 05, 2013, 06:08:09 am

Here is a preview video of Sagara Sanosuke beta.  Required Sanosuke sprites are done for the most part and sounds have been successfully ripped from the PS2 and PSP games.  Progress has definitely been smooth and he might actually be finished before Okita. We'll see how it goes.

Here is the proposed movelist..

Special Attacks
Kiwami Hazushi           
Headbutt               
air headbutt           
Shoulder tackle       
Machine Gun punch   
Futae No Kiwami   
Leaping Futae No Kiwame
Rising Tackle      
Elbow drop          
Activate Zanza mode   (near Zanbatou)
Downward swing   (in Zanza mode)
Horizontal swing   (in Zanza mode)
Zanbatou Thrust      (in Zanza mode)

Desperation Attacks
*Machine Gun Punch EX   
**Kiwami Hazushi Counter
**Zanbatou Smash          (only in Zanza mode)
***Sanjou No Kiwami      (when any Futae No Kiwami special connects)
#26  April 05, 2013, 06:27:45 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
Sanosuke looks great! Good to see a Rurouni kenshin char that's worth it.
Waiting for the release

#27  April 05, 2013, 12:23:00 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Definitely some nice progress here. :)

For the movelist, can you give us the commands you're planning for the moves, and the type of attributes or damage, if you have time ? :)
I didn't see you perform any Futae no Kiwami, maybe I missed it ?

Zanza mode is nice, but the attacks lack impact. Use louder hitsounds (there are chars out there with huge swords I guess, from which you could take hitsounds) and add envshake. Seeing how the attacks are slow, maybe up the damage too.
Finally, looks like the move can miss at close range in this mode. Intended ?
#28  April 05, 2013, 10:48:18 pm
Thanks man!  Those are some great feedback..

I did the futae no k. a couple of times in the video.  It looks like KOF Shen Woo's Gekiken.  I'll definitely add some more impact/damage for Zanza mode.  As for the attacks missing in close range, this was intended for balance purposes.  This may change depending on whether I want to keep the super armor for zanza mode. 

Here are the commands/attributes off the top of my head:

Specials:
Kiwami Hazushi:                       a+x  ; a counter move
Headbutt:                                b+y (close); a grab               
air headbutt                            b+y (close in air); aerial grab
Shoulder tackle                        c+z; a knockdown attack inflicts 60 damage
Machine Gun punch                 punch repeatedly; total of 8 hits and 20 for each connected hit
Futae No Kiwami                     D,DF,F x/y/z; it is chargeable;  55 if uncharged, 75 if charged;  it is unblockable but if it connects it will cost Sano 30 health
Leaping Futae No Kiwame        D,DF,F a/b/c;  it is chargeable; resembles Terry's power dunk; 55 uncharged, 75 charged; unblockable and cost 30 health
Rising Tackle                           F,D, DF x/y/z; anti-air; 60 damage (maybe)
Elbow drop                             D,DF,F x/y/z (in air);  like a dive kick; 55 damage (maybe)
Activate Zanza mode                D,DB,B x/y/z (near Zanbatou); grants limited super armor but lower defense; increased damage
Downward swing                      x/y/z (in Zanza mode);  as seen in the video; will miss in close range
Horizontal swing                      a/b/c (in Zanza mode);  opponents can jump over it; will miss in close range
Zanbatou Thrust                      c+z (in Zanza mode);  a knockdown attack; very slow start-up but it can connect in close range

Desperation Attacks
*Machine Gun Punch EX            D,DF,F x+y;  Level 1; similar to machine gun punch but more hits and forward velocity
**Kiwami Hazushi Counter         D,DB,B x+y; Level 2: he goes into a pose and if opponent attacks he will counter with a big punch; 300 damage (maybe)
**Zanbatou Smash                    D,DF,F x+y (only in Zanza mode); Level 2; spins his sword to pull opp into his attack zone, then strikes if successful; 400 damage
***Sanjou No Kiwami                Level 3 with 20% health; 600 damage and unblockable; if it connects, it will leave Sano's health to 1 pt
#29  April 07, 2013, 04:24:36 am
"Futae no Kiwami AHHH!" cool stuff, RK fan here.
闇に消える
#30  April 07, 2013, 06:24:42 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
love the moveset
mugen or nothin

#31  June 15, 2013, 06:27:21 pm
Wonderful project! I can not wait release!
#32  June 17, 2013, 12:24:30 am
Thanks again for all the support!  Here is the latest preview for Sanosuke on Mugen 1.1.

Notes: 
* Sano has 2 versions of Futae No Kiw. to keep the opponent guessing. Straight or leaping.  It is chargeable as well for more damage
* Futae is unblockable but it has low priority... when it connects Sano will take some damage as well
* In zanza mode, he has limited super armor (only flinch after 2nd consecutive hit) and it can be cancelled when thrown...
* Zanza mode also requires 1 power level to activate (I might change it to level 2 for more balance.. I don't know yet)

What I'm working on:
* Looking for better hit/guard sounds for zanbatou... any suggestions??
* grab, Hypers and victory movie
#33  June 17, 2013, 12:25:11 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
curious did you ever plan to update Saito? he seems lacking compared to the others.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#34  June 17, 2013, 12:34:34 am
I still plan to update Saito's sprites after Sano and Okita.  Other than that, I don't really have anything else planned for him.. The problem is Saito had a limited moveset in the games and anime/manga.  Did you have something in mind?

I am considering remaking Shinsengumi Saito though....
#35  June 17, 2013, 12:37:14 am
  • I see you.
I do actually why not give him the move he did on the blind swordsman? was wondering why that wasn't in there.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#36  June 17, 2013, 12:40:49 am
Gatotsu Zeroshiki? the latest version of Saito definitely has that..  It can only be done at level 3 with low health though.
#37  June 17, 2013, 12:53:29 am
  • I see you.
low health is probably why I never noticed it.

#38  July 02, 2013, 05:56:07 am
Hey fellow Rurouni Kenshin Mugen fans. As you all know, my RK mugen characters have special victory scenes when finishing your opponent with a hyper. Here I was able to rip some nice scenes from the PS1 RPG game "Rurouni Kenshin: Juuyuushi Inbou Hen" and I was wondering if you can help me decide which is the best to use. OR if you know of any scenes with Sano that can work, let me know as well.

Hopefully if all goes well, I can release Sano by the end of summer/start of fall. Thanks!
#39  July 02, 2013, 11:26:59 am
    • Argentina
    • sutcliffsouji.wix.com/cp-chazzanova
Voted for the second option.

Nice project ;)
#40  July 02, 2013, 11:31:53 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
2nd one and the 3rd one look awesome
1st one would be good without the huh huh huh puff at the beggining
#41  July 02, 2013, 02:35:47 pm
  • I see you.
for the poll why not just use them all so he has multiple victories?

#42  July 02, 2013, 05:30:04 pm
  • Yare Yare Daze
Some time ago I saw this project, it is good to see you active again, not if you've already seen but there is a PSX game that has some great sprites. hopefully serve you, here a video

#43  July 02, 2013, 06:40:12 pm
Thanks for the votes guys! This is really helpful.. I'll definitely keep the poll open until I have a definitive answer.

I am actually using that game for some attack ideas, sounds, and voices.  The sprites from that RPG game are ok but I don't think they are good enough for a fighting game. 

@Laharl: I didn't want to do multiple victories because then I would have to do it for all my characters.. and I don't want to do that lol.  I also don't want to increase the character's file size with multiple animated clips.

@Chazzanova: Thanks man! That's a pretty sweet Freeza sprite btw!
#44  July 02, 2013, 06:43:35 pm
    • Argentina
#45  July 02, 2013, 10:44:59 pm
  • I see you.
@aoshi24 I totally read that wrong I thought you meant just sprited poses not full on animations.

#46  July 20, 2013, 07:37:23 am
Thanks to those who voted!  Based on this poll and the youtube comments, choices #1 and #3 have almost equal votes.  I'll probably do both instead.

Now I noticed I've posted many updates for Sano and few for Okita Souji. To all Shinsengumi fans, here is an updated preview! Sorry for the low video quality.

Sprites are still work in progress while coding is done for the most part.  Two new supers were added since the last update. I've also added a combo system that only Okita can do in which players can extend combos with Mibu charge-Slide kick.  Damage dampener and limited power add were added to balance things out though.

It will be worth the wait... Enjoy the video for now!
Re: Rurouni Kenshin: Soul And Sword Full Game WIP
#47  September 09, 2013, 02:29:40 am
I decided to change this thread to cover all things related to my full game, Rurouni Kenshin Soul and Sword.  For more info, refer to the first post.  I appreciate any feedback, suggestions, or any ideas for the game. 

You can also subscribe on my youtube channel where I will periodically update everyone with videos/clips. 

Thanks and enjoy!
#48  September 09, 2013, 02:37:40 am
  • I see you.
is yahiko planned? he does get better at fighting as times goes on. I would also love if you redid shishio from warner with more sprites.

#49  September 09, 2013, 04:30:08 am
I decided to change this topic to cover all things related to my full game, Rurouni Kenshin Soul and Sword.  With 7 characters completed, I'd like to share some info on the gameplay mechanics, updated screenpack, and upcoming characters.

SCREENPACK PREVIEW
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNOss5QIMak[/youtube]

SUMMARY:
+ 18 characters with different styles/ 18 stages
+ 6 attack buttons
+ Counter/parry system similar to Last Blade (but not exact)
+ Guard push, air/roll recovery, and wake-up attack
+ Chain combos and 2/3 button hypers (ex. QCF LP+HP) similar to MVC
+ Level 3 desperation move (low life and max power like KOF series)
+ Finishing opponents with hyper moves awards player a victory movie
+ Momentum Shift system (detailed info and video to come)
   + First attacks, countered attacks, and guard push awards "momentum points"
   + 100% momentum will unlock new abilities/attributes such as high defense, damage, speed, or healing depending on the character
   + 100% momentum will also enable characters to resurrect if he/she already lost 1 round and has max power

CHARACTERS WIP:
+ Okita Souji
+ Shinsengumi Saito Hajime
+ Shishio Makoto - base sprites from Warner's Shishio Makoto
+ Udo Jinei - sprites based on Kyo from Samurai Deeper and Zantetsu from Last Blade
   + Here is the concept sprite.. note this is still a work in progress

+ Makimachi Misao
+ Uonuma Usui - sprites based on Yuki from Last Blade

for Jinne you could also use zinsuke from asura buster as a base
#50  September 10, 2013, 03:53:39 am
I definitely want to make Yahiko but the teenager version.  I didn't really care for the kid version. If there is a good base for teenage Yahiko, I'd definitely go for it.  Remaking Shishio sprites is definitely a must. We have a good base and its all a matter of resizing the sprites and adding more frames.

I checked out Zinsuke and I don't think it matches the sprite style that my characters are going for.

Thanks for the feedbacks guys!
#51  September 10, 2013, 05:28:19 am
seeing this screenpack brings tears to my eyes.... it's such an achievement for us kenshin fans that I will not only include your characters wont just be in my collection but I'll keep a second mugen of this and put it on one of my arcade cabinets
#52  September 20, 2013, 06:54:22 pm
    • USA
    • yohasakura4@sbcglobal.net
Game looks really great, I cant believe this is the first time ive seen this thread. What exactly is the difference in move sets between kenshin and batousai?
#53  September 22, 2013, 12:09:31 am
Thanks! I'll try my best to make this the best RK fighting game yet. You can actually download both of them from my YouTube channel @ A0shi24 in the "About" section if you want to feel the difference.  :P

To summarize: Battousai doesn't have kuzu Ryu sen and the Ougi. Instead he is faster, better combos, and higher damage but lower life. His moveset is also different in looks and attributes.  Think of it like Akuma to Ryu comparison.
#54  September 22, 2013, 08:06:00 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
You can also give Battousai and Kenshin different hitsparks/hitsounds for any sword-based attacks, as a nice detail/nod to the series:

Kenshin:
- Blunt-sounding hitsounds (same ones you would use for punches, kicks, etc...).
- Blunt attack-looking hitsparks (same ones you would use for punches, kicks, etc...)

Battousai:
- Cutting hitsounds (Think, Iori, Choi, etc...)
- Slicing hitsparks (maybe blood, too).

I'm sure you're aware of why I'm saying this ;)
#55  September 26, 2013, 05:55:01 am
Thanks for the suggestions!  Blunt sounds for Kenshin and slash sounds for Battousai have already been implemented.  I just wonder which hitsparks I should use.. SamSho, Last Blade, or custom. Right now I am using custom hitsparks without blood.
#56  January 16, 2014, 01:10:35 pm
I just wanted to apologize for the lack of updates on the Rurouni Kenshin Mugen project. I haven't been able to touch the project since I had to move to a different state for a new job and I was also on vacation for a bit.

Do not worry though... the project is still alive! Now that I'm settled for a bit, I can continue with the sprites for Okita Souji. Here is a playthrough video showing how much is done with Okita and the full game.  I hope you enjoy the playthrough.

As you can tell from the video, I still have a long way to go to finish Okita's sprites but at least the gameplay is solid and bug free.  I will try my best to finish Okita as soon as possible... and maybe even release a beta version of the full game in Fall 2014!

In the meantime, here is how much I've done so far with Okita sprites...
- Idle stances (standing, crouch,turn,guard) = 100%
- Win/Lose/Taunt = 90%
- Movement (walk, run, jump) = 75%
- Get hit/ Lie down = 50%
- Attacks = 0%
#57  January 26, 2014, 10:25:31 pm
    • France
    • mistermef@hotmail.fr
very good !!!!! your project is a nice idea good luck for the next level ;) and kenshin master ? he is in your plan i hope ??? lol
#58  January 27, 2014, 07:50:20 pm
Thanks for the nice words. Unfortunately Hiko is not in the plan at the moment.  Next will be Misao and Shishio.
#59  February 15, 2014, 04:47:02 am
Just some updated info...

+  Okita Souji will be released this March 2014. He will have a new feature that will be present in all my other characters in the beta full game.
+  The feature is called the Kenki (Swordsman Spirit) System which will be similar to T.O.P. mode in Garou Mark of the Wolves fighting game. Check out the video below for a demonstration.

Kenki System Info:
+ Kenki indicator will be located just below the lifebar. The kenki swirls faster as it reaches max level.
+ Over time, the Kenki fills up until it is in max level. This can also be filled up faster with taunts, first hits, counters, and guard push.
+ When Kenki mode is reached, the player is rewarded with slow health regeneration and infinite level 1 hypers.
+ However, Kenki will reset if you use Level 2 or Level 3 hyper moves.
+ Kenki mode will also allow players to perform a Combo Breaker. This will also reset Kenki.
+ All my RK characters will have the same Kenki system except Soujiro and Shishio. Soujiro will not have kenki (like the anime/manga story) while Shishio will have infinite kenki after you beat him in 1 round.

If you have any questions, requests, or ideas, let me know. Thanks!
#60  February 15, 2014, 08:14:59 am

A base from EXBlade for hiko
#61  February 15, 2014, 06:38:57 pm
Wow that looks amazing! Would you happen to know how I can contact him? Thanks.
#62  February 15, 2014, 07:32:39 pm
Ill see if I can or at least get the sprites he used for a basis for this sprite

Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:03:51 pm
Also I noticed that you wrote you were planning on having 18 characters have you thaught about The sword hunter Cho which could be easily editing from Yoshitora from samurai Showdown here is a mediocre edit i mad from him *I am not a spriter.....AT ALL lol*

#63  February 16, 2014, 03:32:42 am
I totally forgot about that character from SamSho.  That Cho edit is a good start, but his hair still needs to be edited and he needs to be skinnier since SamSho proportions are different from Last Blade.  It's definitely a good base to use. Would you consider doing more and I can fix it up? lol
#64  February 16, 2014, 07:07:47 am
lol as i said im not a spriter so ill see what I can do to make the base more correct i cant make any promises itll be good though lol
#65  February 16, 2014, 08:57:47 pm
  • I see you.
infinite level supers sounds like a horrible mechanic imo unless its like a timed thing like cvs did. Also I would love for the hillbilly swordsman to make it to mugen rofl same with kenshins master.

#66  February 16, 2014, 10:22:01 pm
The infinite supers only apply for Level 1's.  If you use a level 2 or 3 super, the kenki will reset to 0 and you would have to refill it.  I've been doing some test matches to see how it is and I've noticed it hasn't broken the game so far.  With that said, I may downgrade it by only applying the infinite level 1's when you are at max kenki and low health... I dunno. Let me know what you think.

I liked Cho in the series so I think I found my next character after Misao. lol
#67  February 17, 2014, 05:14:58 am
Oh yeh and wats the base for Misao is it Akari Ichijou from last blade?
#68  February 17, 2014, 05:41:15 am
#69  February 17, 2014, 11:34:06 am
  • I see you.
let me explain in CVS there was a groove that allowed once filled to have infinite supers for a short period of time I am suggesting this "kenki gauge" to slowly deplete once full hows that sound?

#70  February 17, 2014, 02:49:25 pm
#71  February 20, 2014, 02:55:40 am
No rush cj2fly07. Thanks.

Laharl, I decided to ditch the infinite supers idea. Certain characters had a huge advantage by spamming level 1 supers even if there was a time limit. Instead of infinite supers, players will be able to slowly regenerate power and health when kenki gauge is max. Kenki resets to 0 when any level of supers or a combo breaker move is used. 
#72  February 21, 2014, 02:29:32 am
    • USA
    • arclight427@gmail.com
Maybe Haomaru from Samurai Shodown can be used for hiko.  I would also like to work on udo jinei.  I have no clue how to sprite but read some tutorials. Also, i downloaded Gimp for sprite editing. Do you have any suggestions?

I don't have internet at home so I may not respond very often.

Thank for responding so quickly. I'm glad that I can work with you.
#73  February 21, 2014, 04:27:08 pm
Maybe Haomaru from Samurai Shodown can be used for hiko.  I would also like to work on udo jinei.  I have no clue how to sprite but read some tutorials. Also, i downloaded Gimp for sprite editing. Do you have any suggestions?

I don't have internet at home so I may not respond very often.

Thank for responding so quickly. I'm glad that I can work with you.

Yes i was thinking the same thing the cvs version sprites have similar upper bodies and could be a simple palette edit with a few modifications for the top half then .....the legs would be a whole nother story.

Posted: February 21, 2014, 06:07:44 pm
A palette like this but change the handle of the sword of course the hair style and the legs completely

#74  February 26, 2014, 07:18:48 am

To show how he could definitly be hiko just gotta edit the pants .....................for you and warner this should be a simple edit
#75  February 26, 2014, 07:31:53 pm
DJ427, I suggest that you start off with a base especially if you don't have any experience. The closer the base looks like Jinei the better. There is a character from Samurai Deeper Kyo PS1 game that has a similar outfit as Jinei's but I forget his name.

Personally, I don't think Haohmaru looks anything like Hiko at all. As I said before, SamSho characters are bulkier in comparison to Kenshin characters. Doing Samsho edits would require a lot of scaling. I much prefer the EXblade sprite tbh. Sorry.
#76  February 27, 2014, 06:59:11 am
Yeh i prefer Exblades aswell i just cant seem to get in contact with him is all

Posted: February 28, 2014, 10:34:12 am

also I know its not better then EXBlade but just in case we cant contact him and someone isn't able to make a sheet from the base, here is an option wit Haomaru's top, kaede from last blade 2's bottom and moriya's cape from last blade as for muscle proportion Hiko is more muscular then the average character so it works in my opinion... but then again you know best. best of luck can wait to play the beta version of your game in MAY!!!
Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:26:28 pm by cj2fly07
#77  February 28, 2014, 08:20:08 pm
That looks good actually.  His face needs to be skinnier but that's a good start.  I might consider using Haohmaru after all.  But for now, my main focus is Misao and Shishio.

I'm actually planning to release the beta game in August.. same time as the Rurouni Kenshin Live Action movie sequel premiere.  Stay tuned for that!

In the meantime, here is an updated look at the Lifebars.. thanks to EXELord from IMT for this one.  It's a fusion of Last Blade and Rurouni Kenshin Enjou Kyoto Rinne from PS2. Let me know what you all think and Thanks!

#78  March 01, 2014, 09:04:13 pm
nice!!! cant wait til august lol
#79  March 04, 2014, 06:36:45 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Can't wait August comes! :D
#80  March 06, 2014, 06:00:44 pm
I can't wait for August too! In the meantime, here is a new video showing the new lifebar and the combo breaker. Thanks to EXELord from Infinity Mugen Team for the lifebar. Enjoy!

#81  March 13, 2014, 04:42:34 pm
Here is another video showcasing the capabilities of the Kenki system in combos. This also shows Okita Souji's progress (95% done) which will be released sometime next week. All I need to do now is add slash effects and AI!

#82  March 13, 2014, 05:02:19 pm
  • https://www.youtube.com/user/tiloger/videos
    • Colombia
    • tiloger90@hotmail.com
    • http://mugeneros.activoforo.com/f1-mugen
good job
#83  March 26, 2014, 12:37:17 am
    • USA
    • arclight427@gmail.com
Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:19:47 am by DJ427
#84  March 26, 2014, 07:15:25 pm
Thanks for the links but I'm already aware of that Anji and I already have some stages with the creators' permission. FYI I will not be using that particular Anji since it doesn't match what I'm going for with the full game.

In other news, here is a preview of Shinsengumi Saito's victory clip.  Shinsengumi Saito will be a full-game exclusive character and will not be available as a separate download for MUGEN.  The shinsengumi version will not have the gatotsu zeroshiki but he will have more hyper moves, different basic attacks, and more grappling options. 

#85  April 10, 2014, 06:59:15 am
Here is a preview of the beta version of Shinsengumi Saito.

As you can see the sprites need a little bit of editing. Also, this version will have some different specials/hypers from the police officer version.
Here is the movelist at the moment:

=======================================================================
Special Attacks
=======================================================================

Hakuroujin               a+x
body slam                b+y (close)
air body slam           b+y (close on the air)
Hiratsuki                  c+z
Gatotsu takedown   Charge B,F, a/b/c
Gatotsu ishiki low      Charge B,F, x
Gatotsu ishiki middle   Charge B,F, y
Gatotsu ishiki high     Charge B,F, z
Gatotsu nishiki         D,DF,F x/y/z (on the air)
Gatotsu sanshiki        Charge D,U, x/y/z         
Gatotsu air takedown    Charge D,U, a/b/c         

======================================================================
Desperation Attacks

*Gatotsu Nishiki +       D,DF,F, x+y (on the air)
*Gatotsu Sanshiki +      D,DB,B, x+y
**Sai Gatotsu low      D,DF,F, a+b
**Sai Gatotsu mid      D,DF,F, a+c
**Sai Gatotsu high      D,DF,F, b+c
**Honki No Gatotsu       D,DB,B, a+b (while guarding)
*    need Power Level 1 or more
**   need Power Level 2 or more
#86  April 14, 2014, 10:37:23 pm
hello, please, can you make iko seijuro, he is my favorite in all kenshin, maibe editing some char, please
#87  April 16, 2014, 07:30:36 am
Hiko will be in the roster my friend, but not anytime soon.  I need the resources to sprite him and give him voices. 

For those who are wondering about the roster, Here is a sneak peek of the character select screen. Thanks!

#88  April 16, 2014, 11:50:10 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Glad to see you are keeping up your work.
:)
#89  April 16, 2014, 11:56:52 am
    • Argentina
Nice :) I'm waiting Misao particulary :D
#90  April 16, 2014, 10:36:23 pm
Thanks for the nice words! I have to say I got more motivated after seeing Team Z2's Hyper DBZ project... truly an inspiration.
#91  April 17, 2014, 01:24:33 am
    • Mexico
    • cucco77@hotmail.com
That select screen really got me hyped. This is clearly going to be awesome!
#92  April 30, 2014, 07:45:39 pm
Here is a playthrough with the beta version of Shinsengumi Saito. You'll notice an improvement in the image quality of the screenpack thanks to RGB support of 1.1. It also shows his new desperation move, the True Gatotsu, which replaces Gatotsu zeroshiki.

Thanks and enjoy!

#93  May 08, 2014, 09:26:54 am
    • USA
    • toddstratton90@gmail.com
Damn you just made my year, seriously! Good work on all of this, will be my top favorite mugen full version game!

Huge Samurai X fan!
#94  May 21, 2014, 12:26:15 pm
  • I see you.
seriously can't wait loving the roster also the fact misao is in there didn't expect her lol. always enjoyed your chars aoshi will be nice to have a non broken as hell shishio to.

#95  July 22, 2014, 04:59:20 pm
    • USA
    • rurounikenshinfangirl@gmail.com
I didnt even know this game was coming out until I saw it on Facebook. I'm ABSOLUTELY DYING to play it now XD
#96  July 28, 2014, 03:33:56 am
    • USA
    • toddstratton90@gmail.com
When is the release next month? You put a LOT of effort into this, cannot wait to play the finished game!! :)))))))
#97  July 29, 2014, 04:42:05 am
The beta version will be available sometime during the 1st week of August. Stay tuned for more info and updates. Thanks for your support!
#98  July 30, 2014, 01:10:30 pm
Great work man,

can't wait to test your beta...hope you'll be able to include some HR chars or ask some people here who can help you convert your characters.

if not, thx anyway.

#99  August 03, 2014, 05:56:03 am
Thanks for the nice words Zorro! Unfortunately there are no plans for HR chars and I actually like the Last Blade-ish look of it.

Thanks for the heads up Laharl.. I might just go ahead and do that.
#100  August 09, 2014, 06:56:36 am
  • Rurouni Fan
  • The dream is nothing yet drive us to the end.
    • www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaWlQGjKyJWoXxMR8nrea7P4R9C0JnA-_
Nerves of Insanity Hyper Portrait without the speech balloons:  :)
One day someone will rip the Inuyasha stages... Not today nor tomorrow, probably not even in this decade. But you know, someday... :')

Did you play the new
#101  August 14, 2014, 11:27:23 pm
    • USA
    • seirz7@gmail.com
Hey, Aoshi! How long untill custom controller configs being saveable do ya think? I't not a real problem to reconfig every time, but It would be nice. And Damn, been playin with Kenshin and I loooove the combo possibilities. And the whole low health max kenki super moves. Very thought out, more games need this function!
#102  August 15, 2014, 03:14:05 am
Thanks for the nice words! I'm glad that you are enjoying it!  I actually re-uploaded it in the original release thread so you may need to re-download it so you won't have anymore problems with the options.  Sorry about that!
#103  August 15, 2014, 09:32:55 am
    • USA
    • seirz7@gmail.com
Sweeeet, this weekend is party weekend so some extensive bug testing shall commence! Also, on Sanosuke's Winning rate being so much lower, what are your thoughts on that? AI? Balance issues? Because I'd love to give a good beatdown to Saito sometime. xD
#104  August 15, 2014, 10:46:17 pm
It might just be due to the fact that Sano doesn't have a weapon by default (unless he has meter to pick up the zanbato) and so he has low attack priority. Although he has high attack power and higher than average defense, he has a very hard time hitting opponents with high speed (Battousai/Okita) or long range (Enishi/Saito). He does have an easier time fighting aggressively against characters with low damage output/ low defense such as Soujiro and Aoshi. Interestingly, Sano win % goes up to at least 50% whenever he uses the zanbato.

Saito is pretty easy to beat with Sano. Just fight defensively with counters when he is far and apply pressure when close. For a challenge, try beating Battousai or Okita with Sano! :D