YesNoOk

Edit or not edit ? that is the question. (Read 3073 times)

Started by arthur69, April 21, 2009, 09:57:01 am
Share this topic:
Re: Edit or not edit ? that is the question.
#21  April 21, 2009, 07:42:55 pm
  • I got a PM.
Oh no I told him edit. On the second quote.

He described a KFM release resize and spriteswap. Yeah edit.

He's right I told him where to put that release.

Now since dad said no, he's trying to go to mom, who also said no, but now he's coming back to dad saying, mom said yes, and dad is saying you're going to boarding school you little mailman baby.
#22  April 21, 2009, 07:56:36 pm
  • I got a PM.
Here just so I an Vyx's private messages can be public. Because that's the purpose of Private messages so that Vyx can try to find something to troll about publicly.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Maybe next time private can be private.

#23  April 21, 2009, 08:36:16 pm
    • Germany
just to clear that part up: major edits can very well be posted in the releases section. I suppose everything where the editor has put as much work into it as the author of the original piece or more can be counted "major", for example Evil Ken definitely goes into releases even though it was originally based on Ken&Gang.

For cases where this distinction is not very clear, it's a mod's call. Where it's really unclear, it should be discussed among staff members.

What doesn't matter at all for this distinction, is whether someone has permission to use something or not.

I have not looked at it in detail, but generally on the matter of HD:
For characters, the coding is easily the bigger and more time consuming part, respriting a character in HD would certainly be an edit.
For a stage, however, the coding is a minor part, and not nearly as complex or variable (similar stages will have similar coding), so unless the sprites were "simply" ripped from a game, it's not an edit.

HOWEVER

It's interesting to see how this has never come up before, or was never an issue. Usually people just feel it's right to release something as an edit when the creation is still easily recognizable as being based on something, or when they think the main credit still belongs to the original author.

It's amazing how every fucking week as of lately, some stupid matter has come up around Vyx that has resulted in informal and formal warnings more than once. Geez.
#24  April 21, 2009, 10:17:49 pm
Shamrock : actually if what they're taking from that stage released by KFM (the guy) is one animation (as in, the timings and maybe position and deltas and whatever, not the animation itself with the sprites), it's not really an issue to consider it as a release.
But that is if he indeed mean only ONE animation. What he told you through PM and what he's saying here are indeed vastly different. In your PM, he's sounding like he's spriteswapping the thing and keeps the entire stage's .def file with due adjustments - that would be an edit. Now in this topic, he's saying it's only for that "Buffalo" animation - if it's only that, it can pass as a release.
When he's doing his best to keep the question so unclear, it's a really damn stupid move.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:21:19 pm by Byakko
#25  April 21, 2009, 10:24:31 pm
  • I got a PM.
Agreed.
#26  April 21, 2009, 11:22:19 pm
  • "Ware yori sugure mono wa nashi."
    • www.brokenmugenhr.com
But that is if he indeed mean only ONE animation. What he told you through PM and what he's saying here are indeed vastly different. In your PM, he's sounding like he's spriteswapping the thing and keeps the entire stage's .def file with due adjustments - that would be an edit. Now in this topic, he's saying it's only for that "Buffalo" animation - if it's only that, it can pass as a release.
When he's doing his best to keep the question so unclear, it's a really damn stupid move.

Agreed too. That's the explanation i was looking for. TY Valodim, cyanide, byakko, shamrock and everybody to took the time to be clear.
Sorry if i wasn't clear myself. I tried to be...

Topic resolved.
#27  April 22, 2009, 08:55:01 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Well hooray for progress.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.