YesNoOk

Necrobumps (Read 3322 times)

Started by AlexSin, October 29, 2013, 03:08:44 pm
Share this topic:
Necrobumps
#1  October 29, 2013, 03:08:44 pm
There must be already a topic about this...

Anyway, to avoid necros (in release threads that are very very old), there could be a mod who:
- locks the thread if a necrobump happens (or if the thread is three-four-more years old, with a note to the topic's author to unlock it in case of an update);
- posts: "Do not necrobump old topics; before thinking about necrobumping, which you should not, check the Mugen Guild Database: link; if you don't find anything you ought to go to the request section";
- edits the first post with a new link (taken from the Database) and leaves the old one for history sake.

Because if we leave it like this, new registered come here, and between them there are the ones who necrobump like usual and continue to necrobump (other topics/the same topic/s) if someone deletes his/her posts.

I know you want that the topics must remain open, because there could be some update, but...
Re: Necrobumps
#2  October 29, 2013, 03:17:55 pm
nope
#3  October 29, 2013, 03:20:21 pm
Okay. Got it.

But I would like others' opinions if it isn't too much disturb. (I don't want to be rude here.)
#4  October 29, 2013, 03:23:36 pm
do you realize the amount of work that is just so random user #5623 can't post in an old thread. it's much easier to just delete the bumping post that shows up every now and then. what you propose is not worth it at all.
#5  October 29, 2013, 03:28:03 pm
  • SNK is life
That's what REPORT TO MODERATOR and 80% Global Moderators are for.
#6  October 29, 2013, 03:31:13 pm
You two are right about that.
It's just that I'm tired of seeing necrobumps and wanted to give an opinion on this matter. But we all were new registered members once, weren't we?

I understand. Too much work for something that can be solved with a simple deletion of the posts.
#7  October 29, 2013, 03:45:21 pm
You know the forum already displays a warning in red that says "there hasn't been a new post in over 30 days, are you sure you want to post ?"
Not much else can be done. Except maybe make it a lot more obvious and forced, in a way that doesn't make dumb posters think "oh, it didn't work for some reason, maybe I should try again ? Yeah, that did it" (but still something that only needs one click to dismiss, for those who do it for a reason)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#8  October 29, 2013, 03:49:06 pm
i guess someone could code a thing that automatically reports old thread bumps so people don't have to bother reporting them, but then again, probably not worth the effort
#9  October 29, 2013, 03:52:33 pm
But in your case the ones who report updates of a release (for example) would get reported for necrobumping.

I would support Byakko's suggestion.
#10  October 29, 2013, 03:57:49 pm
which doesn't happen as often as people bumping for no reason. the report would just be dismissed.
#11  October 29, 2013, 04:48:54 pm
Isn't there a section in the Release threads that explain what to do when you find an old/dead link? I mean, most newbies probably wouldn't read it anyway out of impulse (that's why they should lurk the site first), but it would help to have some kind of notice that could lead to the Request thread (it would slow down the Necros a little).
#12  October 29, 2013, 05:49:32 pm
you can't assume someone will read that when they can't read the red text notice that shows up when you try to reply to an old thread