#164  June 12, 2008, 08:05:42 pm
  • SNK is life
WTF I DIDN'T SAY THAT, I actually used insults :wink3:
Re: Nigger
#165  June 12, 2008, 08:20:29 pm
    • Argentina
    • furiadivina.ga
The title of this topic doesn't say "America."
No problem, we can change it to "is the word nigger offensive for other people who are not living in the US ("American" word discussion),and thus don't know their real meaning?"
#166  June 12, 2008, 08:21:40 pm
  • corner push pusher
Alright....so, let's see:

• The original subject of this topic was about me banning MightyKombat due to a tasteless attack involving the n-word - resolved.
  • It tornadoed into about people using racial epithets in a offensive or playful manner, the double-standards of one over another, and whether or not one has a thick enough skin to worry and whine over it, offline and online - sorta up in the air but I fear it'll strike back down like lightning.
  • Topic has now derailed into the dustbowl about the context of "America" thanks to XGargoyle - the USA is NOT The Americas as a whole but the contextual relationship of the term "Unitied States/United States of America" to "America" is practically world renouned. Because of that, the semantics are irrelevent. Resolved.

If no one else has anything else to add to the second bullet then I'm locking this.

hjk

#167  June 12, 2008, 08:27:18 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
Stop coming into threads replying to everyone, you don't own the topics.
I like doing that. Feel free to ignore me. ;)
I really don't care what people will think of me for replying, I'm just going my own way.

Besides, are there any other countries with "America" directly in their name (No really, I'm asking a genuine question).
But, it's kind of funny. Other countries call it "America" too, and actively try to separate themselves from it. Where I come from, the phrases/statements(?I'unno), You're an American. He's an American, They're Americans, are never meant as terms of respect. It is suggestive of an undisciplined upbringing...
1. No, but Mexico's Official Name is United States of Mexico.
2. Indeed, we call them "americans ::) " because they believe they own the continent's name, so you could say we're actually saying/implying "Oh you filthy rich ignorant egotistical morons".
1. Really or is that sarcasm?
2. I understand. I wonder, though, is a Continent's name really a big issue, or is it the bigger history of America that pisses people off.

Well, we mostly call it united states (obviously in spanish). I think that is what most people who lives in the American continent do, as I have never been out of the continent I don't know what's the term other continents like europe, asia or africa do.
Estados Unidos?
I wish I were omniscient, because it makes me wonder too.

I think walter was talking off his ass in this one (or absed on the tv rpograms that make it to Mexico).
[E] - I was talking mostly about people our age. Interacting with some people I realized that during their upbringing they were taught french, it really wouldn't surprise me that focus has changed as of lately :S
[E] and walt, you're in your 20s right? I wonder when this whole, "keep them back" mentality arose?

Less talk about "America", more talk about "nigger."
I doubt we could bring anything up on that that hasn't been discussed the same exact way at least 200 times on the net... just saying. I know you were being sarcastic/semi-sarcastic.

If no one else has anything else to add to the second bullet then I'm locking this.
Ah come on...  :'(
I would have fun reading this discussion and not replying  ;D
No really, a lot of people seem interested, why lock it?
LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
#168  June 12, 2008, 08:29:46 pm
On the second topic, Its not exactly fair that you'll take priority of one racial slur over another, no matter the context or the use.  If your going to ban someone for using the N-word you might as well turn this into a fully sterile enviorment where you can't curse or say anything that might or might not offend someone.
"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured."
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT
#169  June 12, 2008, 08:31:03 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
What robert said.
The topic wasnt as much towards the ban of mightykombat but towards you and your prioritization of some insults.

See, you're the only one making a big deal about it.
#170  June 12, 2008, 08:31:36 pm
    • Argentina
    • furiadivina.ga
true, but i don't hink there's another mod with some "racial debility" or whatever you want to call it
Re: America
#171  June 12, 2008, 08:33:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
nani ?
#172  June 12, 2008, 08:34:02 pm
  • Certified Degenerate
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
On the second topic, Its not exactly fair that you'll take priority of one racial slur over another, no matter the context or the use.  If your going to ban someone for using the N-word you might as well turn this into a fully sterile enviorment where you can't curse or say anything that might or might not offend someone.

Word.

New #173  June 12, 2008, 09:14:46 pm
  • corner push pusher
What robert said.
The topic wasnt as much towards the ban of mightykombat but towards you and your prioritization of some insults.

Topic's elongated for those who wanted to throw their two cents in about what I said in the second bullet (like I said, if nothing else then ). Robert's statement happened to be one of them....actually, it preceded it because it was brought up in the chatlog; I asked him if he had an issue about the double standards. I respect and agree with his comment on the double standards. I never said that I would ban someone for attacking another user using the n-word in a malicious manner over another slur neither. You assumed that because it was what I addressed first, thanks to a report made. Nevertheless, I admit to jumping the gun by banning him.

Um.....I'm sure there's something else I left out that I need to address but at this point I'm not really in the mood - Shaolin Soccer is on. Reprimands/warnings are to be issued first towards anyone attacking another user (even in the most malicious way) with or without a slur, any slur? Heard that already.
*attention is deterring to the movie

Anything else?
Screw it, nothing left to bring up. If the nigger thread is the strain then this is surely the relief -_-.

Closing with the proverbial macro
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty