YesNoOk

Why are ignored users not really ignored (Read 825 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, September 29, 2011, 11:56:00 pm
Share this topic:
Why are ignored users not really ignored
#1  September 29, 2011, 11:56:00 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
i hoped the ignore function does what it should do and hides ignored members totally from my screen. How it comes that ignored users are still viewable via a click and i can see when they made a post?

Is that the way by intention or is it a problem with the forum software?

Re: Why are ignored users not really ignored
#2  September 29, 2011, 11:59:57 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
It's intentional. The ignore option is meant to prevent you from accidentally reading posts from people you don't like.
#3  September 30, 2011, 12:01:09 am
it's intentional and it's so you don't have to see their posts without clicking on them. being able to see a single post might be useful in case that particular post is being replied to and you're curious. if you're clicking on all ignored posts then maybe you shouldn't ignore that user to begin with
#4  September 30, 2011, 12:50:58 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
someone quote me : fuck you this is just a test fuck you
#5  September 30, 2011, 03:38:34 am
  • Certified Degenerate
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
#6  September 30, 2011, 03:42:18 am
    • Edtion.TK
It doesn't sound like a good idea to just hide everything posted by a few members, just because you don't like them  :S. Say User B is ignored:  User A makes a post that you really like, then User B says something or uploads something, but User A just says thanks, but don't restate what User B said? If that happens, then you'd never know what User B said/did that completely changed whatever User A did/said.

someone quote me : fuck you this is just a test fuck you

Edit: shit, I'm a bit late on the quote >.>
#7  September 30, 2011, 04:37:00 am
    • Germany
    • valodim@stratum0.org
it's also a technical reason: hiding posts by user choice changes thread and post order for each user a whole lot, which makes efficient caching and querying impossible.
#8  September 30, 2011, 05:26:59 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I have found the way it works pretty useful anyway, there is hardly any need to change; I mean, in irc I used to fake the ignore list mirc gives you and tell people I was ignoring them and most they stopped adressing me directly and the ones who did not still would after I would just humanly igonre their posts. Made much funnier when I would reply at selected posts only (yeah, I never added anybody on my irc ignore lists I just ignored people mentally).
#9  September 30, 2011, 02:15:49 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
it's also a technical reason: hiding posts by user choice changes thread and post order for each user a whole lot, which makes efficient caching and querying impossible.

ah, thanks for the answer