YesNoOk

My 4 Characters (UPDATED) (Read 7658 times)

Started by Sean Altly, November 09, 2007, 03:05:48 am
Share this topic:
My 4 Characters (UPDATED)
#1  November 09, 2007, 03:05:48 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
These are the four characters I have been working on that are mostly finished. All I'm doing now is damage and balance tweaks, as well as placement of hit sparks, which is almost done as well.

From left to right: Chad In Black, Snow, Adamas, Sabotage

Some in-action shots.

More action.

Adamas' Diamond Fist.

A well spaced look at all the characters.

Chad and Snow stand victorious.

All of these characters are original creations. The characters are 100% my own (created originally for a comic book that I never completed, hence their superhero-like powers and names), while the sprites are almost completely drawn from scratch in MSPaint. Some notable exceptions include Adamas's feet, which are obviously Guile's (in fact, he has a special intro for Guile where he shouts "Got yo' damn boots."). This was my friend's idea (whom the character is based off of), and all that was borrowed from Guile was his feet, no code. Also, if a move looks similar to someone else's, I likely used it as animation reference. What I mean by that is that while I consider myself a decent artist, my animation skills aren't as good as far as human action goes, so I used an existing move by another character as a reference. However, I reiterate, these were mostly drawn by me. The only Frankenspriting done was on Adamas' shoes. I should also note that many attack effects (like Adamas' diamonds, Snow's projectiles, and Chad's ghosts) were borrowed and modified for my characters. I would love to be able to say that every little detail was done by me, but my expertise lies in drawing the characters. I'm no good at visual effects and such. Here is a brief description of each character:

Snow: Snow has mostly telepathic abilities. However, for Mugen, I had to expand on one of his attacks (the Psych Shot) for most of his offense. He also uses various martial arts, including a Rising Knee for anti-air, and some dashing, multi-hit combos. My first character.

Adamas: He has the ability to turn his skin into a diamond-like substance. NOTE: Yes I am aware that The White Queen in X-Men does this as well. You can imagine how surprised I was, but it just goes to show that almost everything has been done in comics. Anyway, his defense is higher than others and he has a lot of hard-hitting, diamond-based attacks.

Chad In Black: A recluse who enjoys art, tea, independent films, and spending time with her only friends, a group of semi-tangible spirits who are both her companions and protectors. Chad is interesting in that her character never throws any punches or kicks. Every attack is done by one of her spirits. I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THE SPRITES OF HER SPIRITS. They are all existing characters with the pallettes modified (as well as some of their animations). Eventually I will create my own sprites for them. The ones she has now are filler.

Sabotage: My attempt at a boxer-like character. He has no kicks. His Punch buttons are actually his left handed strikes, and all of his kick buttons are right handed punches. The only one of these characters whose sprites are 100% done by me. I'm proud of this character.

Anyway, this was a bit long winded I know. Due to the frankenspriting on Adamas' feet and the usage of other characters as Chad's spirits, I have been arguing with myself on whether to release them for criticism. Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated!

*****UPDATE*****

Due to being heavily distracted by Fire Pro Wrestling Returns on the PS2, I'm going to go ahead and release these soon. I've finished tweaking character balance and fixed a stupid mistake, and I feel they are mostly ready. IF I ever add anything, it will be more frames of animation to them, and if I do I will re-release them accordingly. Be on the lookout in the Releases section over the next couple of days.
Guess who's back off the couch, got the panties in a drought

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

All my stuff is open source, you never need permission to use anything I make. Just have fun!
Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 12:25:56 pm by seanaltly
Re: My 4 Characters (99% Complete on Each)
#2  November 09, 2007, 03:14:54 am
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
Original Characters.  :D

It looks like Chad In Black, and Adamas have the similar uppercuts.
But Adamas has Diamond attached.

They look cool but those screens don't show much.
And its 2 vs 2; 1 vs 1 would be better for a W.I.P Topic.

WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#3  November 09, 2007, 03:16:29 am
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
make sure to give credit to who ever ripped the sprites or the author of the character you got them from (for the spirits)
also nice job on the sprites from what i see in the screenshots.  
its always good to see people making origional creations, however beware of the critiques here when you release them, although these are the best critiques you will get from anywhere (talking about baiken, kfm and others that give good feedback), they also tend to be very harsh, dont get discouraged though XD
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan
#4  November 09, 2007, 03:20:14 am
  • Coming Soon?
well the current rule sets say you can release anything you want as long as you at least give a friendly nod of acknowledgment by stating where you got the sprites from.  hell you probably don't even need that.

The userbase is a different story.  Some believe mentioning the source author is sufficient others believe written explicit permission is required (of course only if said author did not open source his/her works)

to cut to the quick...in your release topic or readmes or really both list all the sources, authors, websites you got any and all materials from.  You will save yourself some time, and flame shield.

As far as the characters themselves they definitely sound very interesting.  How do they play?  Did you take cues from and existing fighting game franchise?  Do they have air combos or dashes or runs...basically what system type stuff do they have?

Movesets?  what moves and specials and supers and such do they have?

Screenshots are good but telling us more about how they actually play is better.

I look forward to their release
Latest Yoshi alpha ready for feedback Aug 15th check here for details...
#5  November 09, 2007, 03:22:10 am
  • You know it!
well the current rule sets say you can release anything you want as long as you at least give a friendly nod of acknowledgment by stating where you got the sprites from.  hell you probably don't even need that.
Those aren't the rules for every forum.  --;
WOO! WOO! WOO!
#6  November 09, 2007, 03:35:24 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
I never noticed how similar Snow and Adamas' uppercuts were until you pointed out. Haha, now I feel silly.

The spirits are:

Basara by "montana"

Kurenai by "Inverse"

Sonia by "Jennifer"

Radel by "Nyankoro"

Guile (Adamas' boots) by "Warusaki3"

I've been told recently that the sprites are okay to use, but not other people's code, so that's what I did.
Also, the spirits are temporary, but like you said, it's a good idea to give credit anyway.

Also, here's some shots of Snow in action:

Knee to the face!

Charging up the Omega Psych Shot

Big friggin' Psych Shot

The first hit of a long combo

Dashing Elbow

The Psych Lance

As far as gameplay styles go, they are heavily influenced by Capcom's Street Fighter Alpha games. They have forward and back dashes, variations on chain combos (or dial-a-combo if you will, with the exception of Chad, who does not have such combos to keep her balanced). Sabotage can link his standing punches as long as you alternate between right and left hands. So pressing LP > MK > HP results in a three hit combo of Left, Right, Left. They all have 4 Supers (except Sabotage, who has 5). They have a Level One, a Level Two, and a Level Three, along with a "Level Four" that uses all three Super Meter stocks and a portion of their available life. Sabotage's 5th is a Level 2 Super, which is a Triple German Suplex. They are all fairly balanced (though Chad is quite cheap, so she will need tweaking).

I will make more detailed posts later. I really appreciate the interest!

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

All my stuff is open source, you never need permission to use anything I make. Just have fun!
#7  November 09, 2007, 09:03:17 am
  • It's not furry you goons, it's anthro! ANTHRO!
It's great that you're trying to make balanced characters.

What defines Chad's cheapness do you think? Insane combos? Too fast/powerful? Usually the simplest tweaks can fix a character, like adding extra frames to certain moves or changing the hitboxes a bit.
A magical force-field surrounding a brick in an iron vault...even if the security is breached, the thieves are bound to be disappointed.
#8  November 09, 2007, 09:07:06 am
  • Coming Soon?
To use a very cliche and overused internet joke...

My interest level is ova 9000!!!!!!!!!
looking real good.  just when I thought there was no hope for the projects section here comes a major booster shot.

@Tetsuo Yes I know that.  I also went on and told TC that he should ask permission if possible with the sole purpose of aiding TC if or when his characters become known at other forums.

EDIT:
Yes I see your point better now I didn't really make it clear that other places would require permission and made it seem like it was just for here.

TC was worried about releasing them here though so I suppose that put that kind of slant on my advice.  Thanks for that correction.
#9  November 09, 2007, 09:47:44 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Chad's cheapness lies in the fact that her entire offense is almost completely keep away tactics. I lowered her defense to try to counter that, so that if you did get near her, she would take more damage, but it's just so easy to spam her moves. I guess 99% done wasn't a good number. Chad is very playable, and a good player won't abuse her moves, but most will. Her moveset includes the following:

Spirit Upper - One of her spirits comes up out of the ground and hits an anti-air upper. Each punch variation causes the spirit to appear at different distances away. At first the move could juggle infinitely, but that was an easy fix.

Revenant's Resonance - A ghost appears in front of Chad and performs a rapid-fire series of punches that hit at many different heights. It pushes the opponent away and does decent damage, but has lower range.

Ghost Dive - Her projectile attack. A ghost leaps out of the ground and does a long range dive before balling up and disappearing into the ground again. Right now, he seems to move too fast, which is an easy fix. I may end up removing this one altogether, as it is her most easily abused move. BTW, can anyone help me make it so where there is a time period that must pass before she can throw another projectile? Right now, she can throw another one as soon as the first one hits. I would just increase her recovery time, but I want to make it look like the ghost can't appear twice on the screen at once, you know?

Spectre Sweep - One of her spirits throws out a long chain that sweeps the opponent. Low damage and it reaches about halfway across the screen. Slower, so not as easy to abuse.

Her supers I feel are balanced well, so i won't bore you with their descriptions. Any suggestions? I can upload a gameplay video of her so you guys can get a better idea.

BTW, the interest and ideas and compliments are really making all the time I spent feel worthwhile. Thanks!

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

#10  November 09, 2007, 09:52:24 am
  • Coming Soon?
videos would be great not just to help you balance chad but to get a better feel for your characters.

I for one cannot wait to try them I don't think I have been this hyped up in a long time
#11  November 09, 2007, 10:02:34 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Awesome! I just got a video recording program, CamStudio or something, and I will post some gameplay vids tomorrow. Gotta work 2pm -10pm, so it will be before or after.

You being hyped up is hyping me up!

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

#12  November 09, 2007, 10:04:20 am
  • Coming Soon?
cool looking forward to it
#13  November 09, 2007, 11:01:10 pm
  • You know it!
Maybe add.

Triggerall = Numhelper = 0

On her helper summons.

Also i didn't know Chad was a Girl or Woman.  :o
WOO! WOO! WOO!
#14  November 09, 2007, 11:35:59 pm
those chars means a huge load of work  :pwnonk: :pwnonk: :pwnonk:

anyway i would like to try them in the future.
#15  November 09, 2007, 11:52:45 pm
  • Coming Soon?
Meant a huge load of work creator says 99% complete

even if it is an overestimation it still is the best topic we have had in recent days.

TO ANYONE OUT THERE THINKING OF POSTING A PROJECTS TOPIC THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE.
SCREENSHOTS AND DETAILED WRITE UPS.  SHOW US SOME PROOF.

how's that for self moderation?
#16  November 10, 2007, 01:01:58 am
Ah, helper spammage. xD

Well the important thing is: Do these ghosts just start as soon as you use the attack? It might be a good idea to give each one a clear startup time, like Alice's dolls in IaMP. Allow Chad to set up multiple ghosts, but give them enough startup time for the other player to read and dodge them. This will force the Chad player to use strategy. Do think about giving her some weak punch and kick moves for spacing and trapping reasons too.

The sprites are lovely by the way. You drew them in Paint? I'll be looking forward to seeing how they animate. I'm animating my character in Flash.
A magical force-field surrounding a brick in an iron vault...even if the security is breached, the thieves are bound to be disappointed.
Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 01:07:44 am by Ryanide
#17  November 10, 2007, 05:03:31 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA

A gameplay video of Adamas. Sorry about the quality. More to come!

Snow in action, basically showing off his specials and supers. I forgot some key moves, so I may post another one of him.

Sabotage's boxing and wrestling goodness.

A second video of Snow.

Chad In Black. There is a point in the video where I demonstrate how easily her projectiles can be abused. BTW, most of her spirits attacks aren't helpers, they are projectiles. so do I take that code and replace "helper" with projectile? Thanks!

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:09:42 am by seanaltly
Re: My 4 Characters (Now with vids)
#18  November 10, 2007, 06:23:21 am
*watches the vids*

Ahaha, dude, these are AWESOME. You might not be an animator, but the animations are solid enough and they get the job done. They characters themselves look very complete and fun, and the voice acting's not bad at all.

My favorite so far would have to be Sabotage. I can tell you got some inspiration from Zangief with all the suplex attacks, but his "Onslaught" attack is WAY too powerful, even for a level 3 super. Considering how much damage he does with his basic attacks, it's pretty much a 1-hit KO. If it's blockable I suppose it's not so bad since it looks like you can jump over it.

As for Chad here's how you fix her cheapness: Make her attacks slower.

All of those ghosts, especially the diving ghost and the "die" one just happen too quickly. You should give them a bit more startup time before they come out of the ground. Considering that they're projectiles, this won't nerf her too much, because she still has the most range out of all your characters.

You might like to consider an alternative option: for example have her special bar constantly refill slowly, and make each attack that she does drain away from the special bar. This will stop her from spamming the same ghosts again and again. She'll need to play very defensively if she's going to be able to use her special attacks. You could give her some weak kicks and punches to help her out here. After all, she does already seem to have moves that give her special.

She's not a bad character, she's just got too much speed for that amount of range. There's plenty of things that you could do to tone her down.

It'd help if you made Chad hold her "summon" pose for a bit longer after each long-range ghost, so it's more like she's doing an actual attack rather than firing a projectile. This will give foes an opportunity to close in on her.

You should also consider giving that diving ghost a high hit, so that people can duck under it. And yes, try to convert them to helpers if possible. It will give you greater control over them.

Other than that, great job! I can't wait till they're ready to rock. You can bet these guys will be all over the Youtube Mugen community as soon as they're released for the public.

I'm going to pit Chad against someone from IaMP and see how she fares. XD

Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 10:56:40 am by Ryanide
#19  November 10, 2007, 11:53:13 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
This is all great advice. I guess converting her attacks into Helpers would give me more flexibility with them. I'll work on that. Also, as far as Sabotage's attacks go, Chad probably wasn't the best punching bag to demonstrate with, since her defense stat in her CNS file is at 80, opposed to 100, so she takes extra damage.

By the way, the "Onslaught" is the Shoryu-Reppa style super. Did you mean the Super where he dashes forward and nails all those rapid fire punches? If that's the one you say he does too much damage with, you're probably right. That move is very hard to hit with, and uses 3 Levels of super meter, as well as a portion of his life. Though I've been giving thought to making those Level "4" supers Desperation style moves that can only be done when their life is below a certain point. I love all these comments!

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

#20  November 11, 2007, 01:08:35 am
Oh I didn't notice that it took off a portion of his health. If that's the case, then it's probably balanced enough, also considering that Chad has low defense.

Heh, it seems we were right about the uppercuts. Every one of your characters has some kind of Ryu style jumping uppercut except Chad (and she probably has a ghost that does it)

I also like the martial-artsy moves that Snow does. I can see you put effort into animating those, and they're fine as they are, but for ones like his aerial flip, you could maybe add more frames to make the animation more smooth. I like his throws though.
#21  November 11, 2007, 01:44:24 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, almost everyone's crouching strong punch is an uppercut. The only character with a Dragon-Punch style upper is Sabotage. Chad's Ghost Upper (the one where he says "Die") has a fixed height and appears at different distances, so that's what differentiates it. Everyone has an anti-air special though, such as Snow's Rising Knee or Adamas' Diamond Upper. I just added two more frames to the flip as well, and I will post a vid of the changes to him and Chad In Black.

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

#22  November 12, 2007, 10:32:25 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA

Chad in Black with some timing tweaks and some new mechanics on her Spectre Sweep. The move now does less damage but deliberately sends the opponent up and toward Chad in order for her to land another attack.

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

#23  November 13, 2007, 04:01:57 am
Chad in Black is already looking a lot less cheap and a lot more fun to play. Her ranged attacks have a clear weakness: If you run past them, she's open for attack. However there are going to be mindgames involved since you can make this move strike at different range. The opponent could run right into your trap.

The new spectre sweep combo looks nice. Just make sure that spectre sweep hits opponents at a different angle in the air, because otherwise you could chain this move again just after you've used the first combo to start another.
Re: My 4 Characters (UPDATED)
#24  December 05, 2007, 12:28:08 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Updated!

altly.bandcamp.com
Altly on Soundcloud
Altly on BeatStars

#25  December 05, 2007, 10:46:35 pm
Sweet! Can't wait to try them out; they look pretty awesome.
#26  December 05, 2007, 11:24:51 pm
  • To be fair it didn't stab you
These look awesome! Can't wait till they're released!
You put a lot of thought into these characters and it shows!

And I love it how Chad always fights with one hand in her pocket  :sugoi:
#27  December 08, 2007, 02:51:52 am
Awesome! Updated!

I'll be looking forward to their releases.