YesNoOk

ShinSamus Art - (Formerly ShinRyoga) (Read 19679 times)

Started by ShinSamus, March 27, 2018, 11:03:39 pm
ShinSamus Art - (Formerly ShinRyoga)
#1  March 27, 2018, 11:03:39 pm
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
  • Christian / Artist / INFP personality
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/ShinSamus
Hey everyone! I don't have much to show for now, but I thought I would start off by posting this dedication art I created in honor of my amazingly talented friend Reuben Kee.

As some of you may know, Reuben and I were collaborating on a project to create Samus Aran for Mugen before he tragically passed away on November 23rd, 2007. I was going to create the animation in a style similar to the SuperMario that NeoAnkh and I created, and Reuben was excited to program her to be as brutal and flashy as his Evil Ken, Evil Ryu, and Dragon Claw. With the heartache of his passing, as well as dealing with heavy challenges in my own life...I dejectedly retired from Mugen creation.

I created this artwork as a slight reimagining of her design, using a thick black line artstyle similar to what I was known for back then.

We miss you, Reu. This one is for you, buddy.

Reuben Kee: http://mugen.wikia.com/wiki/Reuben_Kee

My very empty DeviantArt page: https://ailynn-shinsamus.deviantart.com/
Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:58:57 pm by ShinSamus
Re: ShinSamus Art - (Formerly ShinRyoga)
#2  March 27, 2018, 11:29:41 pm
    • Argentina
Great work, my friend! I hope we see more of your works again! :D

The link to your dA account is the same one you posted for wiki about Reuben Kee (RIP) btw.
#3  March 28, 2018, 12:51:57 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
Thank you very much!!! I'm going to try to draw more soon.
Also, I fixed the link - I appreciate the heads-up! ^_^
#4  March 28, 2018, 01:54:21 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I love that piece! Very awesome. I'm excited to see more from you.

I think about Reu often.
#5  March 28, 2018, 03:54:32 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
As I once declared some time ago, Reu has ascended to a majestic state of existence; a point of being that culminates in the eternal, loving embrace of our heavenly father.  And although it's a gross understatement to say he's in far better hands, he undeniably is.

What a fine dedication in the form of exquisite Nintendo art, Ailynn!  It's almost too easy on the eyes.  I'm still clinging to the dream of eventually seeing a balanced, thoughtfully constructed Samus for our beloved engine (and I shall continue to do so). :mhappy:
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:32:02 am by Mature4evr
#6  March 29, 2018, 07:00:47 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
Thank you so very much for your beautiful and kind words!  :heart:

I do wish I had the time and energy to dedicate to bringing the vision for Samus that Reuben and I had into reality. She was going to be like a combination of her Super Metroid and Metroid Prime incarnations, with the ability to swap beam types mid combo for advanced setups and juggles. I wanted her to have moves that would bounce the opponent off the ground and against the side of the screen. She wasn't going to be as insanely combo-centric as SuperMario, but perhaps would have had more setups like those seen in Street Fighter V or Injustice 2.

Since Mugen is now able to run much higher resolution fighters, I would be more likely to consider a renewal of the project if I ever become a pro at Spriter or Spine. An excellent collection of the Metroid Prime sound effects can still be found here: https://www.sounds-resource.com/gamecube/metroidprime/sound/3672/
#7  March 29, 2018, 07:24:08 pm
  • Mumbling voice actor reploid
    • Canada
    • electricvoiceboxmedia.com
That's beautiful work, thanks for posting! I haven't played Mugen in a long time, but I still fondly remember Reu's creations, some beautiful works he made that touched all of us with wonder.
#8  March 29, 2018, 11:37:59 pm
    • USA
I gotta say, that is wonderful! BTW, I remember your Mario and Luigi. But have your heard about Metroid Prime 4 coming to the Nintendo Switch?
#9  March 30, 2018, 12:05:52 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
Thank you all for the very kind words! Yes, Reuben was an amazing friend to many, and I'm thankful for the time we had with him in this world. I'm sure he is feeling joyful beyond all imagination up there right now :heart:

Oh and yes...I am very excited for Metroid Prime 4!!! The art and sound direction in the Prime series was amazingly beautiful and atmospheric years ago and still holds up well today in my opinion. I can't imagine what they will be capable of creating using the graphical capabilities available to them now.
#10  March 30, 2018, 12:40:45 am
    • USA
So am I. I wonder what's in store for Samus in Prime 4.
#11  March 30, 2018, 06:42:13 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
I hope we get some more info at E3 this year, or possibly even some footage!