YesNoOk

Crouching and jumping needed on a character? (Read 2182 times)

Started by DNZRX768, April 29, 2019, 05:01:37 am
Share this topic:
Crouching and jumping needed on a character?
#1  April 29, 2019, 05:01:37 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I am working out the sprites on a couple of my projects when I notice that a couple of them does not have crouching sprites at all. While I could improvise a couple of crouching movements and attacks from somewhere, I was wondering how important are crouching and jumping for a MUGEN character. Are they essential or can they be cut out if the sprite set does not support it?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
Re: Crouching and jumping needed on a character?
#2  April 29, 2019, 05:12:40 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 While you don't necessarily need crouching sprites, on the other hand, you do need crouching animations. It's mandated by MUGEN's engine to include all the required sprite and animation groups to be present in a character or otherwise you'll get debug flood. If you don't really want actual crouch aesthetics, just reuse the standing sprites and assign them specifically to all the numbers for crouch sprite and animation groups.
#3  April 29, 2019, 05:19:43 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
You can kind of remove them by editing the common to an extent.

The actual command for jump and crouch is hardcoded, Cyanide told me this years ago:
They're inbuilt commands. Up will send you to state 40. It's not a .cmd file based thing.

You can work around it OK if you have something else send you to state 40, and alter what up does in the .cmd itself. It's been done before. Characters like R-type remove the function altogether. If you want an example, the one's i can think of ATM are a bit old but Combo Kyo's "game accurate" sonic characters have Up as look up rather than a jump.

In my Buriki One conversions I ultimately used a changestate immediately and then, so the AI wouldn't get caught, added one specifically for if the AI was active (var(30)). It wasn't perfect, you get this 1 tick pause if you do press up.
Code:
; Jump Start
[Statedef 40]
type    = S
physics = S
anim = 0
ctrl = 0
sprpriority = 1

[State 40, limiting]
Type=Changestate
Triggerall=time=0
Triggerall=var(29)>0
Trigger1=random > var(30)*0.1
value=0
ctrl=1

[State 40, 6]
type = ChangeState
trigger1 = time = 1
value = 0
ctrl = 1

Of note, I originally removed crouching because it wasn't in my source, but re-implemented it because not having crouch guarding is a big disadvantage, like how PotS recommended coding the air recovery despite source material because if you fought a Guilty Gear character you'd be finished.
Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:25:06 am by Bannana
#4  May 07, 2019, 05:43:49 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
For crouching, an easier way is to make all the crouching animations (10, 11 and 12) as copy-paste of animation 0 (standing) in the AIR, so the character won't do the crouching but the engine will take it as right without having to delete it. And for the crouching attacks, only replace the 600s for 200s (standing attacks) in CMD

For jumping... I think it's a good idea what Bannana suggest, but also I know there's a character that can't make jump, and that is Kung Fu Man's Yamazaki Hashimoto (the construction worker from Kakuge Yaro), you can see the code on him and see how he did to his character can't jump

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#5  May 13, 2019, 07:53:51 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
All you do is modify states 10 and 40 to not set an animation and configure them as if you're in a standing state. For 40 have it release you back to 0 when command isn't up. For 10/11/12 you make it pass straight through 10 and 12 because mugen is handling that. You can hardcode in other stuff but if all you're after is standing state simulation this is good enough

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.