YesNoOk

Dear Valodim (Read 18812 times)

Started by Iced, February 15, 2009, 11:19:38 pm
Re: Dear Valodim
#41  May 20, 2009, 06:56:25 pm
  • I got a PM.
This is the futre of mugen, you know? This fight has been coming for a while. I didn't think it would happen between us and RS though.

What? You say.

In the next year or so there will be alternative engines, with a new set of permission arguments. The community will fracture into smaller secs. We already can see the progression with the secs of the forums themselves.

Although KFM is wrong in this case. I mean, just look at how he is hosting the original one, by using permission granted to us. Now, we can't have the newest hack to an engine that we are the only legitimate host?

Tisk tisk tisk, oh how the mighty have fallen.

Just wait, there will be more of this, as the arms races of replacement engines hit, one after the other.

I think it is unwise to grip or question KFM's contribution to the latest hack. At least leave him some of his dignity. You guys are started to sound like "Lord of the Flys and KFM" is Piggy.  ;P
#42  May 20, 2009, 06:59:00 pm
  • SNK is life
Complying is reasonable*

*Completely beside the point that his words might bite him in the ass or not every now and then, or that he changes his mind every 14 months, or that [...]

+1
#43  May 20, 2009, 07:01:08 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
In the next year or so there will be alternative engines, with a new set of permission arguments.
Better start gathering some influences then!  Does SakirSoft have some sister I can marry? :wacko:
Well, good thing some of those are open source.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#44  May 20, 2009, 07:03:10 pm
    • Germany
..right, and for that I'd like to know what part of that patched version he is talking about.

is it all really "his"? or are just the docs, readme and packaging his work? can we patch mugen with the file from megaupload the anonymous guy posted and host that? or what?
#45  May 20, 2009, 07:03:20 pm
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
IINM, KFM is the one responsible for allowing HR stages and LR stages on the same engine. he got the hack were you could only have HR stages and added the LR code + Highres=1 line.

This is the futre of mugen, you know? This fight has been coming for a while. I didn't think it would happen between us and RS though.

What? You say.

In the next year or so there will be alternative engines, with a new set of permission arguments. The community will fracture into smaller secs. We already can see the progression with the secs of the forums themselves.

this man speaks truth. what was once united under a single engine, will be divided. that is the curse of the elecbyte.
* Tony 3rd disappears on a cloud of smoke.
#46  May 20, 2009, 07:05:52 pm
    • Germany
#47  May 20, 2009, 07:06:52 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
not what it says on the thread toni.
In the thread a guy announces the hack, shows it off and kfm tests it out and asks who the author was.

also, from the thanks portions of the readme
*The guy that did the original hacking, whatever your name was
*The guy that did the update to my hack. My hat is off to you man!
he starts calling it "his hack". even tho he decided to host it after picking it off on the thread.

This isnt even the first time I see this, I recall a noob advising people to get Kfm mugen plus , and all kfm chars on RS, going on about how his mugen plus was great and his evil ken was great as well.
#48  May 20, 2009, 07:13:10 pm
  • I got a PM.
Someone ask Byakko, he's the one who told me that KFM was the one responsible. I usually trust what Byakko says, after all, I never have seen him lie to anyone.
Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:14:07 pm by Valodim
#49  May 20, 2009, 07:20:58 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
hrm, way to do it could also be.
Go to megaupload and get the original version provided by Duke.
Test it out, try to compare both to see the differences, if no difference is found, no major edits will have been done, keep that version up.
If differences are found.keep kfm read me files on the stuff , they are likely correct.
#50  May 20, 2009, 07:21:44 pm
    • Germany
could we stop speculating and wait for a reaction from kfm about my question from before? this is getting us nowhere.
#51  May 20, 2009, 07:27:40 pm
    • Brazil
#52  May 20, 2009, 07:31:23 pm
    • Portugal
So here's how the whole history of Winmugen hacks went down according to KFM:

Ash: It isn't that easy to win. diz:
-winmugen cracked
-guy makes hr only stages work in it, removed all LR stage coding it seems though, continue screen broken
-another guy modifies it, adds coding to allow HR select screens
-Sion cracks that so I can look at it, I modify vanilla winmugen to allow HR select with LR stages, adds coding for HR stages to work too but unable to finish switch
-Anon guy adds the switch, the people rejoice

Anon guy's mod was just finishing up what Sion and I started.

Paul Potts diz:
you, sion, and the other two guys

The two previous versions weren't used. All I did was fiddle around with what they did to get an idea of what had to be done.

Let him keep it I say, haven't we "won" enough battles already?
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#53  May 20, 2009, 07:34:21 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
hm according to that, he got hi res select screen to work with low res stages, instead of only high res ones like the original hi res mugen. thats his edit.

Winmugen plus is a hack that grabs hi res mugen, and gives it capacity to select both kinds of stages. Its got nothing to do with that, I think.
edit after pots post pops:
Wait, what version did the anon guy hack? Is he sure its his version and not the first ones?

EDIT
Also:
-he did not modify the files, but he looked at what was modified
-mugen wise, that's like retyping code instead of copypasting

He still used their work, even if he didnt copy pasted it, he learnt from it. Cant claim that they had nothing to do with it.

#54  May 20, 2009, 07:42:22 pm
    • Germany
"cracks so I can look at it"? wut?

the exe is not runtime-encrypted, and he didn't disassemble it:

No. I'd have to decompile the entire EXE, then add a trigger for stagedefs to work with it. It's nothing something that can be done more simply.

so that leaves... removing the upx compression? that's not really cracking. :thinking:

I don't really think that part gives him any kind of jurisdiction about the hi-res version, we it's not even likely this one is based on his. especially since he's just the kinda guy who just loves jurisdicting and spokespersoning. I know these are not words.
#55  May 20, 2009, 07:50:17 pm
  • I got a PM.
Meh, leave it alone. Non of us were in there working the thing. I trust the word of people who are confirming,

Let them have control of it. It's like I tell the people who edit other people's stuff, Let you own ethics be your guide.

Mine says, as long as it's hosted and available, there is no need to host it. Hosting it, apparently offends people who did work on it or claim they worked on it. Scratch Mugen Plus off the list.

Everyone is happy and the engine is still hosted.

If we take the high ground maybe KFM will man up and stop being anal about it's hosting. Perhaps he will be gracious enough to give us permission, if not then he just looks bad as usual.
#56  May 20, 2009, 07:55:02 pm
    • Germany
same procedure as last year, james?

..works for me.
#57  May 20, 2009, 07:57:41 pm
  • I got a PM.
#58  May 20, 2009, 08:01:27 pm
    • Brazil
you gotta be fucking kidding...
#59  May 20, 2009, 08:01:58 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Oh we can host it, even the duke version the guy released it for anyone to host.
You dont see someone editing a character done by someone else ,and then when someone edits his edit he claims that it can only be hosted on his page, since he deems it worthy.
In fact its still there on the megaupload link on Duke's original thread and we can simply link to it.

General consensus is that it should be hosted on guild (or anywhere) because it was moreso of an anonymous effort than specifically his.
I dont mind keeping the old stuff still there, but it would be nice to have the guild self running if possible, instead of depending on external sources.
#60  May 20, 2009, 08:02:22 pm
    • Portugal