YesNoOk

Everything Anime and Manga Thread (Read 2442422 times)

Started by ( ゚ o゚) It's Urza!, August 27, 2007, 02:30:58 am
Share this topic:
Re: Everything Anime and Manga Thread
#12041  December 13, 2017, 04:04:58 pm
  • Arbiter of Novel Trivia
    • USA
Spoiler: Shokugeki no Soma (click to see content)
#12042  December 23, 2017, 03:38:42 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#12043  December 23, 2017, 09:10:25 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
New Berserk chapter (I didn't expect one before late 2018)

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Holy shit there's going to be a january release!
#12044  December 24, 2017, 12:26:30 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Yeah this one felt a little abrupt so it stands to reason he'll have another one of similar length

I'm eager to see the end of this, I've been waiting for this arc for over 15 years
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:36:50 am by Speedpreacher
#12045  December 24, 2017, 06:05:50 pm
the new fist of the blue sky anime is gonna be in CGI!

unlike berserk, i really have no problems with it. it seems like they won't try to mix 2d and 3d together and the models look pretty okay. plus, if it will give us decent action and fights then yeah im alright with it.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#12046  December 24, 2017, 11:05:12 pm
A Polygon Pictures show, eh? It looks about average which means it has all of the things that annoy me about anime CGI, but I'll be satisfied if the content is good.
#12047  December 25, 2017, 11:26:37 am
yeah and besides, fist of the blue sky is quite the action packed manga that a 2d animated series can't really do justice without a decent budget.
i'd much rather they do it in cgi than have to suffer through something like this.
#12048  December 29, 2017, 12:56:28 am
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland

Yeah it's Cutey Honey.
im a conscious dreamer

#12049  January 05, 2018, 06:17:12 am
#12050  January 06, 2018, 10:28:50 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
@Sookoll: Did you watch Crybaby?

I'm trying to watch the first episode but it's just too ugly.
#12051  January 07, 2018, 02:11:03 am
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
It's ugly as hell and doesn't do justice to the original story, but it was alright otherwise.
im a conscious dreamer

#12052  January 07, 2018, 05:46:51 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I don't know if the ugly character designs grew on me, or if the show gets better in the second half, but I enjoyed this iteration of Devilman. Like, really enjoyed how things came together: Miki's and Taro's deaths had more impact, the devilmen all coming together made more sense than in the manga and we actually get to see Akira and Ryo's final fight.

I have to say all the changes to Ryo's backstory didn't actually help one bit; they don't actually make the big reveal any better and deprive viewers of some context that would've helped in the early episodes.

Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:06:21 pm by Foobs Sese Seko Nkuku Ngben...
#12053  January 09, 2018, 06:56:25 pm
just finished bakuman and i thought it was pretty good.
it would have been better if it wasn't so endorsed by shounen jump and just had a fictional magazine. then, it would've been able to delve deeper into the actual negative aspects of working as a mangaka but that is probably a seinen territory.
i didn't care much for moritaka and miho's love story solely for how ridiculous it was.
#12054  January 12, 2018, 10:50:54 am
praise the sun nanatsu no taizai hype! escanor hype! and hope they won't censor derieri much. and i just noticed melascula isn't naked? i swear she was in the manga.
#12055  January 13, 2018, 04:50:16 am
Winter season ramblings

Hakata Tounkatsu Ramens: fully expected this to be a slice of show about a bunch of ramen enthusiast since I watched it without any research. Surprised to see that it's an urban story about a bunch hitmen and shady characters told from their separate view points. It has a Baccano/Durarara vibe about it ,but the overall quality is not close to that level. It's looks interesting enough for me to give it a shot.

Junji Ito Collection: The story choices for the first episode were a little perplexing. They probably should've gone with something stranger and attention grabbing. My main issue with the show is that the visuals are very dry and don't do a good job of contributing to a horror-like atmosphere that the underlying material can work with. The colors are very drab and the animation is too limited to capture how creepy everything on screen is. Long Dreams is the best one so far, but it still feels like the source material pulling it's weight ( along with some good eerie music).

A Place Further Than the Universe: This is probably the slice of life show I'll stick with this season. There's a decent amount of ambition in it and I'm curious to see how a bunch of highschool girls are going to end up in Antarctica, especially after they acknowledge the preparation is a bit more involved than what they first let on. It helps that the production looks top notch.

Overload Season 2: I happy it's back ,but the first episode was just a boring setup for the new season so not much else to say.

Record of Grancest War: It just looks like a standard anime fantasy to me. I can't say that the first two episodes were bad, but they weren't particularly thrilling either. Could watch it for a bit longer out of curiosity.

Pop Team Epic: This feels like the anime equivalent of something that would end up on Fox ADHD. I was wondering how they were even going to make a weekly half-hour show about a crappy 4-koma, but it if you just take twelve minute show and play it twice with alternate voice actors the problem fixes itself. I like the end result.

Guess I'll also put Star Blazers Space Battleship Yamato 2199 in here since I'm watching it weekly through CR even though it's old news. First time checking out anything from this franchise and it's been an entertaining space opera so far. I'm at the part where it looks like smurfette's going to be a part of the Yamato crew whether she likes it or not. Fun times.
Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:13:49 am by LurkerSupreme
#12056  January 13, 2018, 06:20:06 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I have only watched death march... it feels likea crappy generic isekai, but it's not that, it's not good either, it's some kind fo isekai that trieds to be slice of life, there ahve been mroe like that, it's not particularly rewarding or interesting, like most slice of life shows; tho I wonde if they will try to make it better, since they already set up the main jokes (mc is on his late 20s so he is totally unatracted to his "harem" as they are 16 at the oldest), the aniem even had him implying that he goes to the prostitutes (in modern japan ) as welll as finding a milf hot and saying he is not a lolicon.
#12057  January 13, 2018, 02:13:05 pm
wasted 16 mins of my time thanks beatless. it reminds me of that horrendous guilty crown so instant drop for me.

i've read good things about hakumei to mikochi so i might try that.
#12058  January 13, 2018, 09:27:35 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Junji Ito Collection: The story choices for the first episode were a little perplexing. They probably should've gone with something stranger and attention grabbing. My main issue with the show is that the visuals are very dry and don't do a good job of contributing to a horror-like atmosphere that the underlying material can work with. The colors are very drab and the animation is too limited to capture how creepy everything on screen is. Long Dreams is the best one so far, but it still feels like the source material pulling it's weight ( along with some good eerie music).

honestly, Junji Ito works don't translate well in anime form, as a manga it can give nightmares, but as an anime it loses a lot of it horror feel
#12059  January 14, 2018, 03:26:23 am
I feel like it's possible to Ito's work justice in anime form, this production just isn't inspired enough to make it a reality.

I did watch Death March when it came out and it hardly left an impression. It was just another isekai show premiere and I'm only mad at myself for bothering to sit through the whole thing while knowing that from the start. The part in the park was worth small chuckle though.

Darling in the Franxx: This was the one I was waiting for this season and it delivered. Despite being an A1 and Trigger collaboration, it felt like the latter had much more reign over it. The artstyle, character design and animation were top notch and I liked the spindle-esque designs of the mecha more than I thought I would (the lion form in the beginning of the fight was still great). Wherever the story decides to go, i'll keep watching it if the visuals stay this sharp.

citrus: still on the fence about this one. Not in the mood for a scandalous trashy yuri romance, yet I do want to know how they're going to resolve the events of episode 2.

Katana Maidens was very middling.  Not bad by any means, just not all that eye catching. The story does take a somewhat unexpected shift in the second episode and has a revelation that makes the events of the first episode make more sense. It opens up the possibility that the show could develop into something a bit more engaging than it lets on.  Maybe I'll watch some more.

Dagashi Kashi is back and it's still the fun silly show it was from the start. The change in studios didn't effect the quality at all really. Did not know that it was only coming back as a half episode series though.

I just want to say that Garo Vanishing Line is still the shit and happy to see it return. New opening is good, but the lack of a JAM Project song is a bummer.
Ancient Magus  Bride is still equally satisfying but the opening/ending animation and song choice is disappointing, especially after the fantastic first. I guess that saves me three minutes each week.
Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:34:53 am by LurkerSupreme
#12060  January 14, 2018, 04:52:50 am
ok i don't care about the other series anymore

she's back boys , the real best girl.

edit: after watching the first 2 episodes man this show is really special , just seeing the characters after almost 2 decades filled me with joy, i dunno if it's just because it reminded me of better days from my childhood. i love hearing their squeaky voices and maaya sakamoto singing again. this was the last anime i followed before i stopped watching anything til 2008-9.

i tried watching closet raging lesbian the animation , at first it reminded me of 她们的故事 but more risque and less entertaining.
Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:02:47 pm by 地獄の花