YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1521658 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#1981  December 03, 2017, 05:56:50 am
  • Scion of the Flames
  • it aint over when you lose its over when you quit
    • Australia
    • DBZxprodigy1994@gmail.com
He's gotten really battle hungry in super....although meeting strong as fuck people like Beerus and the other gods, Jiren, Hit and the others will do that to ya i suppose
#1982  December 03, 2017, 06:28:04 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
It's kinda off putting to some, but he's acting as intended. His main goal is always to fight the strong.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#1983  December 03, 2017, 07:05:33 am
  • Niigasan
#1984  December 03, 2017, 07:14:23 am
at least the fight was good , they should've made the fights like this,
#1985  December 03, 2017, 07:33:03 am
    • senorfro.deviantart.com/
The problem is that this tournament has been going, what, over 30 minutes?  And Goku has over exerted himself how many times?  There's no sense of urgency, as all Goku has to do is dig deep...multiple times.  He just can't lose.  This arc is becoming incredibly stupid, even for Dragon Ball.
#1986  December 03, 2017, 08:02:54 am
yeah the whole TOP arc is about goku, the  teaming up thing isn't really working and became irrelevant because of they focused on goku and the new transformation. but this episode fixed that sorta. wish the manga would handle this tournament differently and let the other characters shine too.
#1987  December 03, 2017, 11:14:58 am
I find it hilarious how the 3 U2 guys gave us a better understanding of their "power of love" actually powering them up into a transformation than Ribrianne ever did with all her shit talk.
Gohan's fight was pretty damn good too.
"I'm in a bad mood" => "hey, if you stick around a bit, maybe Vegeta will someday pull his head out of his ass and actually do shit !" (and then the preview shows us that it's not going to happen)

Re: Goku's "acclimation through exposure to push his limits back" actually that's basically what he's always done, like back when he said he and Gohan should remain in SSJ form in their everyday life to get used to it. It makes sense.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:18:07 am by Byakko
#1988  December 03, 2017, 11:27:00 am
It's because there are no real connections made between The Episodes. Remember when Akira Toriyama was going all out for a Dragonball series based on Gohan back in the days. Like making him the first super saiyan on namek and end the series. Then we got Cell Saga with Gohan becoming SSJ 2. It didn't even stop there as fans disliked Goku's dead. So Goku came back with The Buu Saga. I know Dragonball Super isn't much like Akira Toriyama's work like Dragonball and Dragonball Z, but maybe that "make Gohan the strongest and end the series" idea could work here. It's all Goku indeed. Atleast Gohan was shining in Z with power ups and more. Dragonball Super needs something like that.

Other than that, I enjoyed the battle between The Universe 6 Nameks vs Gohan and Piccolo.
#1989  December 03, 2017, 12:39:13 pm
i too liked that idea, and unlike his father he could still be a better dad to pan than goku ever was, so he'll be better both power and personality.
#1990  December 03, 2017, 09:56:04 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
isn't it funny that during Z he's always 90% off action and we can't wait til he comes and saves his teammates and friends in trouble now in super we're just tired of seeing him. to me it feels like he's not the same goku i watched decades ago, he acts and talks really different.
You would not be alone in that thought.  Super really comes across that they dumbed down the character's few shining personality traits.  Presumably to thus make the rest of the cast shine even more when compared to the star, but that's just my guess.  While no one should be expecting anything genius to be spoken out of Goku's mouth unless it's something to do with a fight going on, his IQ in general just seems to have dropped.  While he never set out to be any sort of super hero, he did have a proper sense of right and wrong, whilst now it really is more tied to wanting to challenge himself and to hell with the others, unless it directly impacts him.  Not at all resembling him trying to set up Earth's protection for the future with Gohan via Cell, in case of Goku's absence.  Or even just freaking leaving with Uub, to right the wrongs that Buu caused in his new incarnation.  Neither exactly perfect plans, but well-intentioned ones that you would expect from someone of Goku's mindset.
Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:00:29 pm by Long John Killer
#1991  December 03, 2017, 10:56:07 pm
About the massive Namek fusion that people keep comparing to DBM
It's not like it was hard to imagine ever since Nail taught it to Piccolo on Namek. It's just that 1) Namekians were generally just farmers and only Nail was available so back on Namek there weren't a lot of Namekians ready to do it, 2) after that it was only just Piccolo and Kami, and then Namek (and Piccolo too) basically faded out of the story (beside picking up Dende and making a couple wishes) so there wasn't much of a reason to go back to the whole race.
But the idea was there since Nail, and it was pretty obvious so it was always chalked up to a massive wasted opportunity, but only because that's just how Toriyama tends to write his stories (just come up with it as he draws it and then forget everything else he didn't get to use).
The only big surprise is that someone actually remembered that Namekians existed at all, and U6 as a mirror universe had a whole planet that we didn't need to care about (unlike the individual Namekians from U7 that we did meet) so they could finally roll with it and just say "two of them ate everyone else until they were strong enough", especially considering the giant gap that any Namekian needed to jump to be even relevant (which is exactly what DBM did too - and DBM had the bonus good sense of also showing yet another version of Namekians being too weak and having to drop out).
As with everything else about DBS, I'm just curious how the manga will introduce it and how much of it is Toriyama or Toei.

While no one should be expecting anything genius to be spoken out of Goku's mouth unless it's something to do with a fight going on, his IQ in general just seems to have dropped.  While he never set out to be any sort of super hero, he did have a proper sense of right and wrong, whilst now it really is more tied to wanting to challenge himself and to hell with the others, unless it directly impacts him.
To be fair, at this point he's literally the strongest in his own universe so he has nothing to worry about (and he does expect to just win so as long as he has the Super Dragon Ball and he can talk it out with Zen'oh, you just know it'll end just fine). Regarding his attitude toward Zen'oh's ability to erase entire universes and everyone inside it - I say it often enough, but remember that this is the anime. The manga does give a slightly different take on his reactions and how he reacts to Zen'oh's own nonchalance about it.
Other than that, we haven't actually seen anyone directly threaten him or his family, just someone telling him "if you lose, I'll erase everything" to which he obviously responds "well I just have to win then". And that's exactly what he did with Cell (until he himself couldn't win, but then he knew Gohan would so he sacrificed himself for that). It's really not as different as everyone is complaining about. Compare the Vegeta and Freeza fights to Cell.
The only notable legit difference that Toriyama himself brought up as something he straight up wanted to do is that Goku is after all a pure blooded Saiyan who really follows his instinct of being the strongest, back when we were talking about how Vegeta actually became a much better Earth dad than Goku ever was. Goku doesn't actually "love" his family specifically and doesn't feel love for others the way you would expect from some random hero - that's a trait that Toriyama actually wanted to bring up in him. After that, it's just Toei Flanderizing that on the fly.
But other than that, I still completely consider that if someone was actually directly attacking Earth and threatening to kill everyone, Goku would still act as a defender of the innocent. It's just that he's literally on the level of gods, so there isn't really anyone who could actually get him there. (I'd almost say that he himself is looking forward to meeting new, bigger threats to make him really serious and afraid, but that's not really how he thinks, he gets excited, not afraid, his catchphrase has literally been "I'm excited" since ever)
But maybe we'll see about that if Freeza manages to pull whatever he has in mind...
Just think of it that way - last time he really needed to get angry, it took Krillin getting blowed up. Nothing after that was much of an issue in his eyes.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:04:40 pm by Byakko
#1992  December 03, 2017, 11:34:12 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Yeah yeah, I know, the manga did it different.  Sometimes for the better, which is appreciated.  It still happened in the anime though, and leaves a weird aftertaste that's probably going to last until the series ends.

I'd agree, I don't see if, like, some Dragon Ball equivalent of a Death Star or Darkseid or whatever comes wanting to straight-up attack Earth, Goku sitting it out even with the changes Super's done.  But its his motivations that feel wrong now, and until this tournament is over and we see the end result, it doesn't sit well.

The only notable legit difference that Toriyama himself brought up as something he straight up wanted to do is that Goku is after all a pure blooded Saiyan who really follows his instinct of being the strongest, back when we were talking about how Vegeta actually became a much better Earth dad than Goku ever was. Goku doesn't actually "love" his family specifically and doesn't feel love for others the way you would expect from some random hero - that's a trait that Toriyama actually wanted to bring up in him. After that, it's just Toei Flanderizing that on the fly.
I don't think I'm ever going to ever get over that bit.  Like, what the hell?  It's fine to showcase Vegeta really seriously turning into a good guy, but bringing down Goku like that?  The guy clearly stays with his family unless it was something dire. (Like Majin Buu's reincarnation coming back and needing a mentor.  Plus he can IT across the planet to see them, it's not like some permanent exile)  He has kids and shows them affection.  Even then getting into Super, we had Black taunting Goku about killing his loved ones, and what a surprise, he had an appropriate response to Black.  The guy clearly loves his family.

I love this series and all but Toriyama just hurts my head sometimes.
#1993  December 06, 2017, 03:58:50 pm
Dragonball and Dragonball Z is Goku and his friends.
Dragonball Super is Goku and himself.
#1994  December 07, 2017, 07:41:13 am
#1995  December 07, 2017, 07:45:02 am
  • Niigasan
Ooooooooo
#1996  December 07, 2017, 08:04:16 pm
    • senorfro.deviantart.com/
If that's legit, then it's official

#1997  December 08, 2017, 01:52:45 pm
  • Niigasan
anyone else wonder why gokus voice sounds monsterous sometimes when hes in ultra instinct?
#1998  December 08, 2017, 04:59:58 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
It's a ominous effect which was pretty normal in the classic japanese dub of Z.

It's a roar behind the character voice screaming.

Even Tienshinhan with his Shin Kikoho against Cell has expurged that "dragon scream".

The best example of that sound effect is absolutely the SSJ2 transformation of Teen Gohan in japanese dub. Or the SSJ3 transformation during the Janemba movie, also in japanese.

EDIT: It seems they finally figured how to recreate the sound effect like the old times. SSJ Goku against Beerus in space has showed that too in japanese Super.
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#1999  December 09, 2017, 12:34:53 am
If that's legit, then it's official

That could be a mistake done by Krillin. He cut off his hair and became bald again for getting eliminated. lol
#2000  December 13, 2017, 04:17:56 pm
new character for dbs leaked? by dbh, a new villain perhaps? or it's ssgss ultra instinct x20 kaioken god unlocked potential ssj4 time breaker evil not evil god of destruction super kami final form perfect fused with android nail majin goku.

https://twitter.com/white4517/status/940912440472092672
Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:29:27 pm by 地獄の花