YesNoOk

Parentvarset/Parentvaradd Question (Read 2057 times)

Started by Nep Heart, October 01, 2018, 01:36:19 am
Share this topic:
Parentvarset/Parentvaradd Question
#1  October 01, 2018, 01:36:19 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Okay, so, here's the deal.

My character has a special victory state that triggers whenever she KOs with her lv3 super. Likewise, it also puts the opponent into a special defeat custom state so that the special victory animation can play right. Everything actually works fine including the palFX stuff. However, for some reason, ever since I began testing her the last few days in the Hatsune Miku: Project MUGEN S.P. Extend Remix screenpack, the palFX effect no longer works on the opponent when they enter the special defeat state I made for them. Even worse, I tried to test it out on default MUGEN as I originally did and the palFX still no longer works anymore.

Is this a screenpack corruption issue?

First question solved.

Second question is more straightforward. I can get parentvarsets and parentvaradds to work with helpers normally, but they seem to fail whenever they are applied to helpers that were called by another helper. Any solution to this?
Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:25:02 pm by Nep Heart
Re: PalFX Stopped Working and Parentvarset/Parentvaradd Questions
#2  October 01, 2018, 02:40:39 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
If helper A spawns helper B, helper B's parent will be helper A and not the main fighter so any parentvar stuff helper B uses will apply only to helper A.  If only rootvarset and rootvaradd exist.

For now, I've heard of a workaround using invisible projectiles (actual projectiles, not helper ones) since projectiles are always attributed to the root even if helpers spawn them.
#3  October 01, 2018, 03:05:34 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
If helper A spawns helper B, helper B's parent will be helper A and not the main fighter so any parentvar stuff helper B uses will apply only to helper A.  If only rootvarset and rootvaradd exist.

So, it's a MUGEN limitation then. That's a real bummer there.

For now, I've heard of a workaround using invisible projectiles (actual projectiles, not helper ones) since projectiles are always attributed to the root even if helpers spawn them.

I've never actually tried using normal projectiles before in all my time in coding because I've always relied on helpers for projectiles, but how would I go about that for projectiles like these?

#4  October 01, 2018, 06:02:15 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Used it (invented i think) in omega red. When a helper hit i created a no hit no clsn projectile. The root owned that so i could set variables or perform actions on 15 helpers simultaneously. Root, numprojid = 123 or whatever the trigger is. You're not attacking with the projectile. Its just an identifier for when you want to pass back to the root

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  October 01, 2018, 08:26:33 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
So, it's a MUGEN limitation then. That's a real bummer there.
Besides being 1 tic slow there's nothing that's lost. If you need Helper B to talk to Helper A you can do that. If you need Helper B to talk to P1, you can do that also.

As for the PalFx problem, I can't imagine a problem that wouldn't come from coding. Maybe the SFF got switched to 1.1 or somehow a palette got messed up?
Have you tried creating a basic PalFX for state 200 just to see if it can get an effect on it? If you cant get SLP to blink, or whatever, you might want to poke around Statedef -2 to see if something always messing with the pal.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#6  October 01, 2018, 09:17:20 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
Besides being 1 tic slow there's nothing that's lost. If you need Helper B to talk to Helper A you can do that. If you need Helper B to talk to P1, you can do that also.

Well, I kinda actually need that variable a lot because it's being used for damage scaling.

As for the PalFx problem, I can't imagine a problem that wouldn't come from coding. Maybe the SFF got switched to 1.1 or somehow a palette got messed up?
Have you tried creating a basic PalFX for state 200 just to see if it can get an effect on it? If you cant get SLP to blink, or whatever, you might want to poke around Statedef -2 to see if something always messing with the pal.

Just found out the problem an hour ago. I accidentally changed a few triggers without noticing, likely from my hand slipping. Just got really panicky because I've spent a few weeks trying to perfect that particular super and didn't want all that work to go to waste.

I should change the title now so that it's no longer misleading tho.
Re: Parentvarset/Parentvaradd Question
#7  October 02, 2018, 03:44:50 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
So I take it your counting the helper's hits and adding them up to scale the damage?  What exactly is the problem at this point and what are you trying to get it to do in the long run?
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#8  October 02, 2018, 04:25:32 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
So I take it your counting the helper's hits and adding them up to scale the damage?  What exactly is the problem at this point and what are you trying to get it to do in the long run?

I'm using a variable set for each hitdef so that damage scaling is determined by specific attack as opposed to hitcount.

Basically, I want the swords in that GIF to scale damage by a very specific percentage individually so that it can be kept track of in statedef -2 like every other hitdef in the character.
#9  October 03, 2018, 08:24:45 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Decided to just move the varsets and varadds to state -3 for now and just identify the exact helper by numhelper instead. My only worry is the lack of turning off persistent, so, hopefully, that doesn't really come into play later on, but it's what I can work with for now. I'll just mark this as "solved" for the time being.