YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2503714 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#9101  August 09, 2019, 11:05:22 pm
Wow.

That 2nd new character looks like he came out of Cyberbots. Now if only Konami and Capcom could get their act together.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bkzwGErK4k[/youtube]

That just looked stunning
#9102  August 14, 2019, 05:39:11 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Hope they nerf the ninja girl.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/08/14/power-stone-designer-hideaki-itsuno-talks-about-developing-the-series-hopes-for-a-revival/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR03kbIo6UzUBPiZu1LNOo-z_VtAbb457LaWZNpY16LLR_tYoEHATt31RbE

While Capcom is currently reveling in the success of modern hits like Monster Hunter World, Resident Evil VII, and Devil May Cry 5, they also have a huge back catalog of incredible franchises that are dormant. Everything from Strider Hiryu to Final Fight to Darkstalkers, Capcom has some amazing games that have yet to reappear. Possibly one of the most heartbreaking is the short-lived yet much-loved Power Stone.

Game designer Hideaki Itsuno recently sat down with The Guardian to give a brief background on the development of the cult series. Itsuno talks about the move from a 2D camera system to the isometric 3D one it ended up with, as well as the inspiration for the setting.

The interview ends with Itsuno saying:

“I still get messages from fans about the game. People tweet requests to me to make another Power Stone, which I’d love to do if I got the chance. It would be a particularly great fit for the Nintendo Switch.”

We think so too!

While I wouldn’t hold my breath for Power Stone 3 anytime soon, it is nice to see a creator holding love for their wacky series from a few decades ago and be willing to make another one.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#9103  August 14, 2019, 06:36:53 pm
That's pretty cool.
Developers all going towards Switch, while abandoning the Playstation less so :\

Still bummed various games got/are getting Switch releases but no PS4.
Or well, developers thinking that the Switch is a more suitable platform.
#9104  August 14, 2019, 07:49:48 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
I think the idea of Sony doing its own censorship is starting to turn off a few developers. Sure it can make them more creative, but that's not always the case. At the end of the day, I just want them to make games without getting impeded by censorship.
#9105  August 14, 2019, 09:15:19 pm
  • Suika cute
    • sites.google.com/site/roysquadrocks/
#9106  August 15, 2019, 04:32:52 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
That's pretty cool.
Developers all going towards Switch, while abandoning the Playstation less so :\

Still bummed various games got/are getting Switch releases but no PS4.
Or well, developers thinking that the Switch is a more suitable platform.

I think that's why the PS5's compatible with all games from PS1 to PS4. Retro market sure has become a solid force.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#9107  August 15, 2019, 03:28:25 pm
As a low key retro collector, I don't feel the need, but I do understand.
And it's way more convenient than booting up each individual console lol.

But I'll bet "backwards compatible" just means you can buy titles digitally and not the "just pop an old disk in it and play" kind.

Shantae and the Seven Sirens revealed! Coming soon to PS4/Switch/XBO/PC/Apple Arcade.
https://wayforward.com/wayforward-reveals-official-title-and-new-details-for-shantae-and-the-seven-sirens/

They new Shantae looks good

I think the idea of Sony doing its own censorship is starting to turn off a few developers. Sure it can make them more creative, but that's not always the case. At the end of the day, I just want them to make games without getting impeded by censorship.

But retro collections and modern remakes trying to avoid censorship sounds kind of weird to me.
That while people play bouncy, scantily clad chicks in DOA and fight phallic monsters in P5.
#9108  August 17, 2019, 03:49:40 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Which is why you should let the people decide with their opinion and wallets. Cause nowadays when people hear censorship, people want to see what was toned down and if it makes sense then fine. It's usually something harmless and gets blown out of proportion.
#9109  August 18, 2019, 10:39:56 pm
    • Germany
Btw. Grandia HD Remaster is comming to Steam.

#9110  August 19, 2019, 02:49:27 pm
That is one of those remasters I wanted to get, but no luck on PS4  --;
I played those a lot back then.

Which is why you should let the people decide with their opinion and wallets. Cause nowadays when people hear censorship, people want to see what was toned down and if it makes sense then fine. It's usually something harmless and gets blown out of proportion.

I agree.
A friend of mine LOVED Bravely Default, but boycotted Bravely Second because the censored it..... 
I am like: Just enjoy the game!
#9111  August 19, 2019, 07:42:36 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com

New playable character and Switch release announced.
#9112  August 27, 2019, 03:51:25 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox

lui

#9113  August 27, 2019, 05:15:02 pm
    • USA
Fuck, i still havent even finished the base version of 4 yet :S
#9114  August 27, 2019, 05:40:19 pm
    • USA
The Super Robot War games sometimes have English subs. This is a recent thing right? The Asia version having subs. Hopefully it’s a new trend. Speaking of aren’t some coming out sooner or later on PC? Got an OG series game only to find out the subs are ps4 only.
#9115  August 27, 2019, 09:22:28 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com

Praise the gaming gods this is coming to Switch.
#9116  August 27, 2019, 10:41:41 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
The Super Robot War games sometimes have English subs. This is a recent thing right? The Asia version having subs. Hopefully it’s a new trend. Speaking of aren’t some coming out sooner or later on PC? Got an OG series game only to find out the subs are ps4 only.
V, X, and T all have full English translations, and those translations are really good too (with the occasional wonky bit). V and X are currently on PS4 and Vita, and T is on PS4 and Switch. V and X are also getting ported to both Switch and Steam very soon; however, it's unclear how the Steam version will work with regards to the translation. They might just have a region locked Japanese version only? But the Switch versions do seem to be their new standard type of release (Japanese, English, and Chinese language editions).

As for the OG games, the first two games in the Original Generation saga (on the GBA) got official releases overseas by Atlus (they had to title it "Super Robot Taisen", like the original Japanese title, because of some trademark dispute with a show called Robot Wars). And then all the other sequels never made it out of Japan... until the most recent one, The Moon Dwellers, on PS3 and PS4. Which has an... interesting translation:

"What a Damn itty operator"

This was the first multi-language release they did, and they didn't put a ton of resources into the translation, which shows. The translation can be a big struggle to get through, but it's still relatively understandable. Not helping matters is the fact that this is the fifth game in a series where everything but the first two games is not translated, so there's a shit ton of characters, factions, and concepts that the game expects one to know already. There's character and terminology guides but they aren't very helpful.
#9117  August 27, 2019, 11:35:58 pm
    • USA
Haha Hey!!! Can I ask you something? You seem to know a lot about these games. I've played a lot of them in Japanese. Where the heck do you start with these games? Is there even a chronological order?

So, way way back. I started with the DS games, never understood them, some translation patches here and there most for the skills/menu. Played them like your standard TRPG had a blast, skipped all the text.

Then, I played one that was translated on PSX, had no idea what was going on. Are the games linked? Do they really go that far back? Do you have to play all of them? For me, I don't mind if the translation isn't perfect as long as I can understand the general story, but the games are so darn longggg. I'm planning to get T, thats the one with Spike right? Is there a faster/easier way to catch up with the plot? Is it even worth it? You are able to get more into it because you know more about the series individually, is that it? I really like these kinds of games. Do you have all of them? Is there any reason to get V over T? I ask all this because these games are for a very specific crowd. I've played a lot of them and similar to like, a musou game they aren't drastically different every iteration. From what you posted it looks like the selling point are the series in the crossover.

The OG series is like a separate story right? Isn't there anime for these?

I'm a Gundam noob, typical G/Wing.

You know what this translation makes me think of?? Saint Seiya for anyone who tried to watch it translated lol
Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:46:29 pm by 2Dee4ever
#9118  August 28, 2019, 12:39:07 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#9119  August 28, 2019, 03:05:58 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Haha Hey!!! Can I ask you something? You seem to know a lot about these games. I've played a lot of them in Japanese. Where the heck do you start with these games? Is there even a chronological order?
Basically, not really. There's essentially two kinds of Super Robot Wars games: there's the licensed series, with all the anime series, and then there's the Original Generation games, which have only the original characters and mechs created by Banpresto/B.B. Studio, the developers of these games.

The licensed games are, in general, standalone: the vast majority of them are completely unrelated storyline-wise to anything else. For example, Super Robot Wars V, X, and T all feature original Gundam protagonist Amuro Ray (specifically the incarnation of Amuro from Char's Counterattack), but all of those Amuro's are distinct. The Amuro in SRWT is friends with and has known (the SRWT version of) Kouji Kabuto, pilot of and protagonist of Mazinger Z, since they were teenagers fighting against Doctor Hell and Zeon back in the One Year War, but the Amuro in SRWX has never met (the SRWX version of) Kouji before. All of the standalone games are entirely distinct experiences, with their own continuity that gets resolved with no sequels or prequels, or anything of that sort. They can be played in any order, and you definitely don't need to play them all!

However, there are a few sub-series of Super Robot Wars games that feature multi-game storylines. These follow the same sets of characters and mechs, and build up to an epic conclusion by the last game in the series. There's such three series: the first few games in the series make up the "classic" timeline; there's the PS1 and PS2 era Alpha games; and finally there's the late 2000s/early 2010s Z series. Because these games have massive story arcs spanning multiple games, they're definitely more imposing and harder to get into. And barely any of them have any kind of English translation available anyways!

Finally, the Original Generation games are all set in their own world, following the same sets of characters. There's a whole bunch of OG games: the mainline series, a gaiden series (the Masou Kishin games) and spinoffs (like the Endless Frontier games on DS, and some OG characters also appear in other games like Another Century's Episode and Project X Zone, etc.) The mainline games form a complex narrative and definitely should be played in order, while spinoffs are mostly just bonuses that aren't super important to the overall narrative. But again, only the first two and last games in the mainline series have any kind of English translation available, so that can be pretty imposing.

I'm planning to get T, thats the one with Spike right? Is there a faster/easier way to catch up with the plot? Is it even worth it? You are able to get more into it because you know more about the series individually, is that it? I really like these kinds of games. Do you have all of them? Is there any reason to get V over T? I ask all this because these games are for a very specific crowd. I've played a lot of them and similar to like, a musou game they aren't drastically different every iteration. From what you posted it looks like the selling point are the series in the crossover.
V, X, and T all play identically and share quite a few different anime series between them, but since they're all standalone, you should pick whatever one has the best roster to you. They are all completely different stories that are all set in their own world.

I would personally say that T has the best roster of the three of them, but that V has a slightly better story. X unfortunately comes in dead last: it has a lot of wasted potential in terms of its story, but there's still fun moments; it's just the connective tissue is super, super weak. And the story is the major selling point of these games: so much of the joy that comes from these games is seeing the crazy crossovers, and seeing all these different anime stories collide with one another.

The actual gameplay and strategy is pretty easy, and it's very, very easy to completely break the game and make all your units completely overpowered. At least, that's the case for the modern games. The earliest (pre-Alpha) games were absurdly, punishingly difficult to the point where they weren't very fun. There are a handful of SRW games where they strike a good balance, and have interesting and fair strategy gameplay, but most of them fall into being either annoyingly hard or laughably easy. But that's that's not the end of the world, because the selling point is the story!

Well, that, and the animations.

The OG series is like a separate story right? Isn't there anime for these?
Yeah, they made a few adaptations of the OG games. I have no idea how good they are, though.
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:10:13 am by Jmorphman
#9120  August 28, 2019, 04:05:07 am
    • USA
I’m actually really excited to play it on PS4. I thought the animations were good on the DS games. I kinda love that crazy hard difficulty ha! Disgaea levels of dumb. Thanks for the feedback as I wasn’t looking forward to trying to get them all, well you have to spread them out as you said, games aren’t that different. How has your experience been so far? You’ve beaten it yet?