YesNoOk

Why is KOF Popular in the Latino Countries? (Read 19024 times)

Started by MattDeRac, March 14, 2016, 02:26:35 pm
Share this topic:
Why is KOF Popular in the Latino Countries?
#1  March 14, 2016, 02:26:35 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac
I found something about the King of Fighters Fandom, Why is the series so popular on the Latino countries like Mexico, Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Argentina and other countries that are Latino/Hispanic related? I mean there's nothing wrong with it I just found it weird that it was never explained why KOF is popular over there and never never popular on the US or Europe, I get it for Asia too but why mostly the Hispanic countries? It's like the Street Fighter series and Mortal Kombat that are very popular around the world but they never seem to heard of King of Fighters before.

Can anyone explain why The King of Fighters is only popular on Mexico, Brazil, Spain and Portugal? Because I don't get why it's only popular for them, I'm thinking that the King of Fighters series needs more popularity on the other countries like US, Europe and Australia. But to be fair they do have a good taste, But again, Can anyone explain?
Re: Why is KOF Popular in the Latino Countries?
#2  March 14, 2016, 02:39:06 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
This is a rather interesting question that I think deserves discussion. It's something i've been wondering myself.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#3  March 14, 2016, 02:54:30 pm
  • Dead Weight
  • Where'd all the motivation go?
    • Philippines
    • Skype - DerEthereal
Perhaps because NeoGeo MVS cabs sold like pancakes over there, so KoF was easy to get into. Maybe even easier to get into than SF, as there's usually guaranteed to have at least one person playing.
How could I know? I'm not Latino, I'm just restating what some other Latino KoF fans say...
#4  March 14, 2016, 02:56:33 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
Well, certain animes (Dragon Ball, for example) are popular in those countries, so there could be a connection.
#5  March 14, 2016, 02:57:38 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
I think some of it comes from the Neo-Geo being a relatively affordable, popular arcade machine that you could swap out game cartridges for.
#6  March 14, 2016, 03:05:30 pm
That and the preference for fast games. KoF didn't really blow up until 96 when they added running and whatnot.
#7  March 14, 2016, 03:55:59 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
We like to play KOF so much that using our hands was kinda boring so.......
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#8  March 14, 2016, 05:14:38 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
what's been said before, neogeo cartridge machines everywhere, since they predate kof for a decent amount of year, so once kof started getting popular in the big arcades, it was relatively cheap to just buy a kof cartridge and put it in your local arcades to make more money.

the arcade scene had the advantage of back then a gaming console would cost around 1000 pesos while playing kof would only cost one peso and it being a third world country you'd get a lot of people who were not being able to afford a gaming console anyway; and the cherry on the cake ? gaming consoles were still underpowered for those kind of games, lol.
Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:30:45 pm by Bastard Mami
#9  March 14, 2016, 05:15:56 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Iori Yagami

Bea

#10  March 14, 2016, 05:35:37 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
MvS was pretty easy to pirate, so you got lots of bootleg carts for cheap out in the wild that served the local arcades.
And they being carts, it was pretty easy to replace them in your arcade cabinet.
CPS1 was also easy to pirate, so it was fairly common out there as well.
That was not the case with CPS2, so CPS2 games had far less reach in poor countries, since it was much cheaper to stock your arcade with bootleg MvS carts instead. Which led to more people in those countries playing more KOF, since SFA and VS games were a luxury not all arcades could afford to have, whereas any hell hole would have a KOF machine with a bootleg cart running.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#11  March 14, 2016, 05:56:58 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Yes, very easy to pirate. Our local arcades still has those "-in 1" machines with multiple Neogeo games in them.
#12  March 14, 2016, 06:04:27 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
Not to mention, playing in a game center in any Latin shopping mall is ridiculously expensive, even if you're playing something as old as KOF'95.

I really have my doubts whether price is the only factor, though. I mean, why only KOF and Metal Slug and not other equally good Neo Geo games like Last Blade 2?

Is it hard to pirate CVS2? This didn't impede MSH, XvsSF, and MvC from being popular around here.
#13  March 14, 2016, 08:19:19 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
I don't think Naomi or Atomsiwave protection (most 2000s Capcom/SNK/Arc Sys fighters) were cracked until this decade or the very late 00s. Also those machines were a slightly higher-spec Dreamcast so a nearly 10 years on the Neo-Geo pricing wise.
Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:23:23 pm by The 100 Mega Shock!
#14  March 14, 2016, 08:25:27 pm
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
Being an American of Mexican descent (Michoacan, stand up!), I should know this. But to be perfectly frank, I don't. I have asked fellow players regarding the King Of Fighters fad, and they say it's just better than Street Fighter. I was so good at the Capcom series that one of the men invited me to try out KOF2001 for the first time. My first team was pretty obvious - Mai, Mary, Kula and Angel - and I most definitely sucked. But I practiced, got better, and learned a lot from it.

Going off on a tangent, I can tell you of my experiences with arcade games at Mexico in general. The first time I went to Mexico in 1989, there was a cabinet that housed 250 Nintendo games in one single cartridge (this one by NTDEC). A player would insert coin, select a game (some of which were hacked clones anyway), and be given 10 to 15 minutes of play time. When the minutes were up, the game automatically paused (done at the arcade hardware level), and the player would either insert coin to continue, or wait for the arcade to reset itself, then the player could choose a different title.

Sometime in early 2000, the gaming industry in Mexico came up with the idea of housing multiple arcade games into a Windows-formatted hard disk, achieved entirely at the DOS level. Unlike the NES multicart idea, this new edition would allow players to select an arcade title, then insert coin when prompted and then play a proper uninterrupted game. This was perfect for getting SNK games and Capcom games, in addition to some obscure adult titles, into one single cabinet. I was able to play Killer Instinct this way.

lui

#15  March 16, 2016, 12:00:34 am
    • USA
Yes, very easy to pirate. Our local arcades still has those "-in 1" machines with multiple Neogeo games in them.

Don't forget all the broken buttons and joysticks that come with them bc of some guys who take tekken 6 too seriously!
#16  March 17, 2016, 10:55:19 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I'm from Spain and I barely knew about KoF till I was like 16...and some of my friends were SO freaky about games.

They cared more about Cammy's ass than the whole KoF saga.

PS: I don't want to start a flamrwar, but Italy is also a Latin country, as Spain and Portugal. They three are in Europe.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#17  March 17, 2016, 11:01:25 pm
    • Argentina
They refer Latino as Latino America, Felo ^

You're right but I'm sure they meant Latino America, that's all ;)
#18  March 17, 2016, 11:14:09 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Yes, I don't mind. He just listed Spain and Portigal between the latino countries, while Italy is a latin country too.

Nu, no problem.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#19  March 17, 2016, 11:15:59 pm
    • Argentina
That's right. My bad!

Alex, you were downgraded to a non-existant Latin country! Time to fight for your rights!
#20  March 17, 2016, 11:32:32 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
KoF rules, that's all.
Lasagna