YesNoOk

Character Assembly Line (Read 36949 times)

Started by inktrebuchet, August 15, 2015, 10:49:52 pm
Re: Character Assembly Line
#21  August 24, 2015, 11:32:00 pm
i don't think there's shortcuts you can take with the CPS3 style. it's kinda why it's the best looking and most well animated style, because it's mostly done by hand.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#22  August 25, 2015, 12:02:09 am
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Role 2 may be suited for me.
The process would fit KOF sprites too, and I can't think why it wouldn't fit any other style actually.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#23  August 25, 2015, 12:30:48 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
If you have any ideas for developing methods to create sprites more efficiently, please mention them here.

This thread is open to any idea that could help efficiency in sprite making.

the roles can also be split horizontally in a key frame - transition frame manner; so you can get the most experienced spriters doing the keyframes while you need the noobiest ones doing the transition ones; or most likely due to man power, assignate more time ot the keyframes than it is assigned to transition frames.

I have been trinyg to learn animation using blender, I have seen some end results of that program and I think it offers the most decent learning curve/results ratio. the program arksys used for ggxrd is good, but the learning curve is so high you have to pretty much make a game taht takes full advantage of taht, for static sprites the blender method seems to be the best (I suspect a similar method is being used by examu bread, especially because of volumetric shading and jagged edges ) but only for characters, not so much for other resources as getting the models ready might be too time consuming and using sketches should be more efficient (like drawing a person cheering in the background).
#24  August 25, 2015, 04:16:04 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
OK, off the top of my head, Kiwi's  Grayscale Index Method is essentially a painting-to-pixels method. There is also the Rumble Fish Method, which is basically 3D-to-pixels method.

In addition, the usage of Spriter for games with graphics in the vain of Vanillaware, Rayman: Legends, DuckTales Remastered, and Tembo The Badass Elephant could be a third, but that's all I can think of.

Based on the route you plan to go for, the first 2 seem feasible, but number 2 would require a fifth slot, so I guess that could be scratched, unless someone could double as one, but that's probably not gonna happen.

CPS3 style could be implemented in that Vanillaware thing I was talking about, but it would probably end up looking like what steamboy33 did (but with a high leve of skill).

Thanks Hatter. I will keep these in mind and try to see if anything can be applied. I know 3D models were used to help in the making of Hauzer, but in the end they were really just tracing over it, I'm sure it was a big help though mainly due to his size.

Role 2 may be suited for me.
The process would fit KOF sprites too, and I can't think why it wouldn't fit any other style actually.

I am so excited to hear this man! You may have just filled the last role. I will contact you as soon as we can all move forward on a project.

If you have any ideas for developing methods to create sprites more efficiently, please mention them here.

This thread is open to any idea that could help efficiency in sprite making.

the roles can also be split horizontally in a key frame - transition frame manner; so you can get the most experienced spriters doing the keyframes while you need the noobiest ones doing the transition ones; or most likely due to man power, assignate more time ot the keyframes than it is assigned to transition frames.

This is a really great idea! This thread is geared towards commissions and helping artist join together so that would split the money up even more.

In all honesty, I would love to set up these roles in a more "open to the community" way. If anyone could do any role and us all work for free, That would be amazing. I am just not sure how to do that. There is no good way to organize that currently anywhere on the forum...
#25  August 25, 2015, 04:19:14 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
OK, off the top of my head, Kiwi's  Grayscale Index Method is essentially a painting-to-pixels method. There is also the Rumble Fish Method, which is basically 3D-to-pixels method.

In addition, the usage of Spriter for games with graphics in the vain of Vanillaware, Rayman: Legends, DuckTales Remastered, and Tembo The Badass Elephant could be a third, but that's all I can think of.

Based on the route you plan to go for, the first 2 seem feasible, but number 2 would require a fifth slot, so I guess that could be scratched, unless someone could double as one, but that's probably not gonna happen.

CPS3 style could be implemented in that Vanillaware thing I was talking about, but it would probably end up looking like what steamboy33 did (but with a high leve of skill).

Thanks Hatter. I will keep these in mind and try to see if anything can be applied. I know 3D models were used to help in the making of Hauzer, but in the end they were really just tracing over it, I'm sure it was a big help though mainly due to his size.

Huh. That's a new fact, but in the end it makes a lot of sense, I mean Hauzer looks way too realistic compared to the other CPS3 chars in that game (I think Blade/Jihad also fits that title).

If I ever find the time to join a paid project in this vein, I would love to fill Role 3 or Role 4. Sadly I don't but just in case I do for the future, you have a worker in me! :P :P Until then I'll keep practicing CPS3's two different styles!^_^
This is a generic forum signature.
#26  August 25, 2015, 04:22:21 pm
In all honesty, I would love to set up these roles in a more "open to the community" way. If anyone could do any role and us all work for free, That would be amazing. I am just not sure how to do that. There is no good way to organize that currently anywhere on the forum...

Does that mean you'll make another topic for this?
I might help out but I don't know which role I could have.
#27  August 25, 2015, 04:27:58 pm
    • USA
I worked a good chunk of yesterday on figuring out a problem I was running into while reviewing Role 2's Gray Scale Method (when making SF3 sprites). This Color Method corrected those problems. A big break through for me. This will save a ton of time for the person working in Role 4. takes same amount of as the normal Role 2

Short explanation: Applies to Role 2
In SF3 sprites the light areas do not share colors with the shadow areas. To best explain it, light has its own color palette and shadow has its own color palette. Pictures below explain this further. 

Applied to actual sprites:

Simple Gray Scale Method still works great for everything else.
Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:01:26 pm by ink
#28  August 25, 2015, 04:30:16 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Holy shit, you actually managed to make the SF3 color ball like in IE's SF3 Easy pal deviation through the Index Method. Good work, man! :o
#29  August 25, 2015, 04:32:47 pm
    • USA
It's not perfect but it is close. More colors could easily be apply but for demonstration purposes these will do.
#30  August 25, 2015, 05:29:23 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
using different colour for shaded and lighten area, I wonder how that fits in whatI am doing, but it's an interesting idea.
#31  August 25, 2015, 05:42:22 pm
    • USA
I have been trinyg to learn animation using blender, I have seen some end results of that program and I think it offers the most decent learning curve/results ratio. the program arksys used for ggxrd is good, but the learning curve is so high you have to pretty much make a game taht takes full advantage of taht, for static sprites the blender method seems to be the best (I suspect a similar method is being used by examu bread, especially because of volumetric shading and jagged edges ) but only for characters, not so much for other resources as getting the models ready might be too time consuming and using sketches should be more efficient (like drawing a person cheering in the background).
I have never used Blender, I only just now have learned about it. It would no doubt be a powerful tool and I am sure very helpful. I have seen other tools that can convert 3D models to 2d sprites as well. I would love to see someone put together an assembly line like this, maybe using blender to replace Role 1 and 2. I would think Role 3 and 4 would still need to be applied.

edit:
or not!
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/turn-3d-models-pixel-art-164991.0.html
For something like this I would think you would just need roles for secondary animations such as clothing and hair. I would imagine you could apply different colors for shaded and lighten area to make it work for SF3 sprites too.
Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:48:46 pm by ink
#32  August 25, 2015, 05:59:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yep, using that tool the latest is perfectly doable, since you make a palette.

you still need teh gray scale methods for objects that don't merit doing 3d models, in the case fo fighting games: backgrounds, effects, strikers.
#33  August 25, 2015, 06:02:40 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/turn-3d-models-pixel-art-164991.0.html
For something like this I would think you would just need roles for secondary animations such as clothing and hair. I would imagine you could apply different colors for shaded and lighten area to make it work for SF3 sprites too.

I've tried working that program before, but no matter what I do, it would never open. Another alternative would be 3DS Max and Helios' tutorial but that's all I can think of.

If somebody knows how to make it open at least, step forth and share your knowledge
#34  August 25, 2015, 06:15:36 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
It's very possible to use separate textures in the light and dark parameters of a cel shading material and have those display on a model.
#35  August 26, 2015, 03:56:38 pm
    • USA
Updated the first post with more info and images.
#36  August 26, 2015, 04:02:46 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Just read the 1st post, looks great man. I'm going to test the SF3 method out today. Thanks for putting his idea out, loved the idea from the 1st time you mentioned it!  ^_^
#37  August 27, 2015, 11:41:08 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
this is an interesting idea, I like the 1st and last role, but I'm not that good at making animations or drawing motions, but once I learn more about it I would be glad to try this out, and if it turns good, then you will see me here later
            Zorf Giudecca
#38  September 04, 2015, 12:47:32 am
    • USA
Updated the first post with some tools I made for the SF3 Process, Role 2, if anyone's trying this method out.
Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:53:46 am by ink
#39  September 08, 2015, 10:32:21 pm
    • USA
Updated the first post again! Just the SF3 Process has been updated.

I've been getting a lot of people asking me how I make animations and other questions around that so this should help out. There are now tools for Role 2 and directions on how to use them, along with information on every step to help out anyone who is trying this.

Let me know if anythings to vague or if you have any questions no mentioned in the steps.
Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:37:47 pm by ink

lui

#40  September 09, 2015, 10:10:36 am
    • USA
this looks awesome! do you have anyone up for the 4th role? im pretty good at detailing and cleaning