YesNoOk

Capcom Fighting Jam stories (Read 17733 times)

Started by Jesuszilla, January 28, 2017, 09:27:50 am
Share this topic:
Capcom Fighting Jam stories
#1  January 28, 2017, 09:27:50 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
So it seems it doesn't matter where, it doesn't matter when, it doesn't matter how smart you think you are. You were dumb enough to play Capcom Fighting Jam, weren't you? You were probably dumb enough to buy it too, you dumb fuck, you.

And I fit into both categories. I even datamined the game. Because I am a masochist.

"A game with Felicia, Alex, Urien, AND Guy in the same game?! Characters that are practically brand new (WarZard)? CvS2 engine?! Whoa, that's awesome!"

Too bad my love was the shittiest character in the game with lower life than Shin Gouki (yes, dead fucking serious), they removed her light cancels and it's harder to do her links, and hell, even chains, they made her projectile PART OF HER AND NOT A PROJECTILE, so it can't cancel out other projectiles! And her Rolling Buckler can't even go under a Hadouken! So as a Felicia player, I got shafted pretty hard. But enough about that!

Urien got off a little easy. Alex is about how you'd expect.... except they were both misaligned and their momentum changed pretty drastically. Guy... was not that special since he had only lvl.1 supers.

Ingrid's cute as hell but also low tier so :(

The biggest disappointment, though? The best addition to the game, Hard Gay, isn't even shown in-game! It was just a single sprite KFM and wuwo found when going through the files.

And the worst part is, I bought my copy for like $10 even after knowing all of this, after experiencing all of this on PCSX2. I still don't quite understand why I did it. Ahhhhhh, a game so bad I call it by its overseas name because I refuse to acknowledge any part of this as an "Evolution."

But speaking of Evolution, let me take you to EVO 2016 where I met up with MooMaster and a few other guys from the MUGEN community. We were all drinking, having a good time and shit, until I got the bright idea that we should play with shitty games. So I, of course, pulled out Capcom Fighting Jam, much to everybody's dismay. I'll admit that as bad as it is, it's a guilty pleasure of mine, in spite of the inevitable misery I go through when being reminded that the characters I like to pick (Ingrid and Felicia) are bottom, scum-sucking tier in this game. But it's a misery I like to share with others!

So while I'm just smiling at the hell everyone else is dreading to play, I'm putting the disc in. It loads, as normal, no surprises. But as soon as it gets to the demo screen, the game says "Nope, fuck you" and just crashes. So I try to boot it again. Won't boot at all now. So I keep trying. Until finally we pick another game (KOFXI I believe). Didn't boot either. What the fuck. So at that point, I knew: I had a borked PS3.

And that's the story of how my PS3 committed suicide due to all the abuse it had been through: American Airlines and being asked to play Capcom Fighting Jam.

Now what were your expectations and disappointment? What stories do you have with the game? Clearly we have them!
Re: Capcom Fighting Jam stories
#2  January 28, 2017, 09:32:45 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
Even my drunk self chooses to switch games. This game sucks.
#3  January 28, 2017, 09:36:33 am
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
Ho boy this game. I remember catching glimpse of it from a strategy guide at my local bookstore years and years ago, and I bought it because hey, new fighting game with a bunch of characters! Little did I know how bad the game was at all! Also hilariously enough, I think that it's the first one I saw Midnight Bliss in, but I digress!

I wish I had some stories to share about this game, I really do. Tried to play it with buds, but that didn't last very long at all and we went back to the much more superior 3S and CvS2. Played it a bunch when I first had it, but eventually I started to just...not like the game at all. Even when I was starting to beat the fawk out of it on the hardest difficulty (and sometimes, the game is a cheating bastard too! But it's also really dumb as well. Like Ryu's AI! Ryu's AI is all sorts of dumb!). I really liked Ingrid too myself, but I was never really any good with her, mostly sticking to Ryu, Shin Akuma (although squishy as fawk), and Demitri. I really do wish that it was so much better, I really do. That, and it could've used more characters other than being 3/5 SF characters too!!
#4  January 28, 2017, 09:41:57 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Even my drunk self chooses to switch games. This game sucks.
^ He plays Jedah, who's like #2 on the tier list. I think he started feeling sorry for me when we were playing that night lol.

Of course I could've been an asshole and picked Leo, who is extremely silly (and a huge reason why this game is trash):

This is his command throw range.

This is QCFx2+P. It reuses the stance box for the entire animation, meaning every sword swing is just a giant red box.

All his jumping attacks have priority like this. Basically unpunishable pokes. Real fun to deal with!
#5  January 28, 2017, 09:48:32 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I did it all for the nookie.
#6  January 28, 2017, 09:57:29 am
    • USA
Oh god, Jedah. I remember how ridiculously good he was. And wtf is that!? WTF IS THAT!? I didn't even KNOW Leo was that ridiculous! What?!?!

Does that make Leo #1 then? If not, then who the fawk was #1 if Jedah was #2!? And...who was at the very bottom then (probably Gief)??
#7  January 28, 2017, 09:59:49 am
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
It's been a long time since i've played CFJ and that was before I was into fighting games like I am now but I really don't think it was that bad. I mean sure, it's bottom tier on the list of Capcom fighting games i'd play if I had a choice, but it's not actively awful in my book. There are far worse games. But I do wonder what made Capcom say "Yes, this is good, let's release this"

But all that said, I will fight anyone who says the OST isn't bitchin'

#8  January 28, 2017, 10:03:28 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Does that make Leo #1 then? If not, then who the fawk was #1 if Jedah was #2!? And...who was at the very bottom then (probably Gief)??
Yes. Also, I just told you who was very bottom: Felicia.

Which really, really makes me sad.
#9  January 28, 2017, 10:06:09 am
    • USA
Leo, pls. Felicia, pls. Then what does that make Hauzer, the giant hitbox lol? I remember him just...being silly. And Guy's AI being really, REALLY annoying, oh dear god...
#10  January 28, 2017, 10:08:05 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
I found out about Capcom Fighting Evolution through Mugen, which I have to thank for helping me discover most fighting games. I was like ten when it came out and was more into Lego than video games, so I was never suckered like a lot of people were. To this day, I still haven't touched the game, let alone found a copy of it.

I gotta say though, there's some cool backgrounds and nice effects in CFE. Shame they were wasted on such a sloppy game.
#11  January 28, 2017, 11:10:07 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I agree with Negi Springfield.  It's not the worst but I definietly prefer playing CFJ over its SNK counterpart Neo Geo Battle Coliseum which is not fun to play  even on single player.

I liked that the SF3 characters are jump in combo friendly like most CPS2 characters. I only played it for a short time to get inspiration and ideas. And I do love Jedah's and Ryu's ending.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#12  January 28, 2017, 11:38:26 am
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
Personally I picked out the game since I was bored, and the next PS2 game title I was waiting for is still a month away back then.... So, I just bought it. After all, I did enjoy CPS-2 Capcom greats back then like Marvel Versus, Alpha,  CvS---As well as the CPS-3 wonder known as SF3. I was a sucker also for colorful and very animated pixel visuals the said game have offered back then.

I didn't expect much play style and all, but the Warzard characters were quite fascinating to play as.

The only eyebrow raising feature for me about the game is why did Capcom chose Chun-Li as a SF3 rep alongside Alex, Yun and Urien? Either Elena, Ibuki or Makoto could've been picked.

Also CFJ is the reason why I returned to MUGEN four or five years ago. I even read that some called CFJ as a "glorified MUGEN."

Heck, might as well create my own CFJ game with a roster comprised of personally wanted reps from Alpha, SF2, SF3, Darkstalkers and Warzard~! Learn more about CNS coding, commission Tiamat for 5945 anim frames for some characters whilst frankensprite the rest etc.
Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:44:34 am by T. Vinceson
#13  January 28, 2017, 02:07:46 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
I was very exited when I heard about this game, I was following the news of NGBC and if Capcom could pull something similar would be awesome!
Then I watch a video in Gamespot... damn, "what the hell happened to the stages?" Was my first reaction, why is Ryu fighting with a dinosaur? The video I watched was some sprt of combo video, so at least the game looked fun to play.
Played on a friend's home and we both got bored to hell, we use to play CvS2 all night and we couldn't play this fucking game for one hour.
Time passes, wounds heal, and I pirchased this as a PS2 classic, played it once to show my brother how bad it is, it is getting digital dust since then.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#14  January 28, 2017, 05:33:14 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I agree with Negi Springfield.  It's not the worst but I definietly prefer playing CFJ over its SNK counterpart Neo Geo Battle Coliseum which is not fun to play  even on single player.

but nbc is like a kof game ... if there was a kof game in which you were unable to move around.

DW

#15  January 28, 2017, 05:45:11 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
So it seems it doesn't matter where, it doesn't matter when, it doesn't matter how smart you think you are. You were dumb enough to play Capcom Fighting Jam, weren't you? You were probably dumb enough to buy it too, you dumb fuck, you.

Actually no. I've never played the game. I did almost buy it though years ago, due to my love for the CvS series, and felt this to be the 'next step' so to speak. Despite all this though, I would still like to play it, just to experience it for myself. Not that I don't believe you guys and all. It's actually kind of funny, I was thinking of making a Leo in the future. I guess you would have been on my head, as I ignorantly thought that this game would be a basis to use for him. That right there is just someone didn't give no fucks about it. Just pack it and ship it.
#16  January 28, 2017, 06:08:00 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Ok so my story:

I was a young guy looking for games to play on my PS2, and I hear about this Capcom game that was going to be a crossover with a lot of their IPs in one game and I was like "Sign me up for that!". So my mom buys it for me as a Christmas gift and I popped that disc in so fast, so I see my favorite Darkstalker in the game and I play as her, LO AND BEHOLD she has a difficult time with a lot of fighters in the game! I'm like what the heck, I can't even go under projectiles with her rolling move. I saw it as a hodgepodge of different elements just stuck on a fighting game, I even compared it to MUGEN at the time and I still do. It's so unbalanced I couldn't even have a fighting tourney without limiting people. I did had good stuff come out of it, I learned about Warzard, the OST truly is sick to listen to, and my god I do have a guilty pleasure of using Hauzer...DON'T JUDGE ME DANG IT.
#17  January 28, 2017, 07:02:52 pm
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
Funny thing with this one; I was only just getting into console fighters, so I've liked to expand my library. I could've chose this over SvC Chaos... but the latter took precedence, given a solid demo and SNK itself.

I kind of sort of dodged a bullet, I suppose? Things could've went better.

The latter wasn't too bad, minus how broken EX got, but what it had over CFJ in droves was presentation; sprites were completely amazing and not blatant rips, for instance. Demitri is a huge point with this.

For all the reservations to have, though, CvS2 made everything better.
#18  January 28, 2017, 07:13:53 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Not really a story for me to share... Watched a Ryu playthrough on YouTube and the fact everyone has power meters relative to their original games and the roster and premise is a huge turn away for me...

...But I'm curious about what Hard Gay is. This is the second time it's been brung up and I've never heard of this before. Is it a unused thing from what CFJ was going to be or another bit of Midnight Bliss hilarity or...?

These are some funny stories to read, though. Very sorry for what you guys endured because of being mislead, seems like a common theme here. Can relate with many other games myself...
#19  January 28, 2017, 07:38:16 pm
  • For honor!
I knew the game was leftovers quickly slapped together but my morbid interest got the better of me. Like, MVC2 was basically leftovers quickly slapped together and that game was fun?

Not for this game. Oh no not for this game. Only crippling depression...
Iroha stripped for me
#20  January 28, 2017, 08:20:02 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
The main reason I remember this game was that it was the first game I rented through GameFly. It somehow got lost... no biggie, I guess.

It was a very haphazard rush job of a game. I liked the Red Earth characters being involved, but that's the only positive I can give this game.