YesNoOk

Hey FGC, how you feel about the Budokai series? (Read 12363 times)

Started by D. HoChoy, June 22, 2016, 04:09:11 am
Share this topic:
Hey FGC, how you feel about the Budokai series?
#1  June 22, 2016, 04:09:11 am
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
Do you like the #1 Dragon Ball fighting game series?

Yep...
Re: Hey FGC, how you feel about the Budokai series?
#2  June 22, 2016, 06:12:20 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
You're probably not going to find many FGC opinions on a Mugen forum but oh well. 

lui

#3  June 22, 2016, 06:18:23 am
    • USA
You already made a similar thread didnt you? Many people here dont think db budokai is even that good of a fighting game itself let alone a dragonball fighting game so its useless to ask here.

I for one dont like it at all, its stiff and the gameplay is slow.
#4  June 22, 2016, 08:32:19 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
The FGC scoffs and laughs at the Budokai series and other fighters based on anime and then goes back to playing Marvel
#5  June 22, 2016, 08:35:25 am
    • USA
>FGC
>Marvel
#6  June 22, 2016, 08:36:36 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#7  June 22, 2016, 09:11:56 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Out of all DBZ games DBZ Hyperdimension is the best.

The worst one would have to be the PS1 game DBZ Ultimate Battle 22.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#8  June 22, 2016, 10:04:03 am
Super big roster that's meant to be balanced based on how strong characters are in canon. Gameplay is also rather mindless and busted too. Yeah, those games aren't deemed competitive for good reason.
#9  June 22, 2016, 10:47:30 am
I like the Budokai series games, the only one I'm missing is Burst Limit.
They could have done far better with the last PS2 installment (Infinite World), but the minigames are nice so it's partially excused.
I still stand by my old words:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Super big roster...
I don't know if you're talking about the Budokai series or rgveda99's post, but in case you're talking about Budokai the rosters aren't really big.
Now compare any Budokai roster with Tenkaichi 3, now that is big! In that game the characters's combos feel repetitive too.
I can't deny that Budokai might feel like that, it is but to a lesser extent.
...that's meant to be balanced based on how strong characters are in canon...
I would stop at balanced. It's not like Omega Shenron always beats Saibamen or Cell Jr, or Goku always beats Krillin, you can have the chance to win regardless of the character you're using (like in any other game...)
Saibamen always beat Yamcha with Self Destruction, but that's the only case of real accuracy to the canon. They could have done without that though.

Gameplay is also rather mindless and busted too.
I can't see how the gameplay is "mindless and busted"; you may see absurd combos in Youtube videos involving juggles, but you can also teleport and start your combo when you have the meter, sometimes you can enjoy real DBZ fight scenes like teleports after teleports, beam clashes, rushes.
Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:58:35 am by Sin-
#10  June 22, 2016, 11:39:57 am
    • USA
There's no high/low mixup and no throws.  That by its very definition is busted.  If you played these games "optimally" you would just be running out the clock.  I mean, thread didn't ask for opinions in competitive context.
#11  June 22, 2016, 11:55:53 am
Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:01:19 pm by Sin-
#12  June 22, 2016, 12:55:24 pm
I was referring to the series as a whole, Tenkaichi included. Budokai 3 does have a small niche.

I don't remember the series all that much tbh. What I do know is that CC2 games are made with fanservice being prioritized substantially over competitive longevity, ASB was the closest they tried to balance the two.

It simply strays too far from the conventional fighting game, which would be fine if the mechanics were particularly crafted and refined for versus play. They're not.
#13  June 22, 2016, 01:06:43 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
TBH the Budokai and BT series is overshadowed by the Supersonic Warriors games for me. They were easier to learn, and as a result, had more fun factor., competition notwithstanding.
#14  June 22, 2016, 01:09:10 pm
What I do know is that CC2 games are made with fanservice being prioritized substantially over competitive longevity, ASB was the closest they tried to balance the two.
ASB, CC2, what are you talking about?
We're talking about the Budokai series (Budokai 1/2/3/Infinite World, Shin Budokai 1/2 and Burst Limit), last time I checked they were developed by Dimps, Atari and Bandai.

It simply strays too far from the conventional fighting game, which would be fine if the mechanics were particularly crafted and refined for versus play. They're not.
I don't remember the series all that much tbh.
:\
Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:16:53 pm by Sin-
#15  June 22, 2016, 01:21:14 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Forgot about the arcade game too.

It was good. I only played the 2nd game in the arcade. AI was tough.  I only played this like may be 2 or 3 times as it was competing with XvsSF that time. The game was rare in the arcades too. Almost as rare as Asura Busters.

If only the 3d DB fighting games had similar gameplay to this.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#16  June 22, 2016, 01:21:31 pm
Oh wow, wrong people.

Not much sense arguing now that I look rather dumb, but I will say that Budokai was meant to appeal to a consumer crowd, moreso than the typical arcade fighter. Naturally it meant that concessions had to be made to the gameplay, making it less appealing to the competitive crowd. Doesn't help that it's simply too different.
#17  June 22, 2016, 01:25:34 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Things I liked about the Budokai series:

1) Cell absorbing Krillin by mistake in one scenario and stuck dealing with it (Budokai 1)
2) If you picked someone small like Krillin or Gohan, tons of attacks from bigger characters whiffed (Budokai 1)
3) Tenshinhan and Yamcha doing the fusion dance and SUCCEEDING (Budokai 2)
4) Goku and Mr. Satan fusing with Potara earrings (Budokai 2)
5) The soundtrack for the story mode had the best song to score Planet Namek's destruction (Budokai 2)
6) You could play as Goku from Dragon Ball (Budokai 3)
7) That opening sequence gave me a fanboy aneurysm (Budokai 3)

Notice how only one of them is about gameplay, and it's about the engine being broken!
Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:28:43 pm by J.A.N.G.O.
#18  June 22, 2016, 03:00:28 pm
Oh wow, wrong people.
I still have to understand what ASB and CC2 mean.
Well, for CC2 maybe you mean CyberConnect2, but for ASB I can't find anything.
#19  June 22, 2016, 03:06:07 pm
New #20  June 22, 2016, 04:18:44 pm
... I imagined you were talking about that, but I hoped you weren't.
2) If you picked someone small like Krillin or Gohan, tons of attacks from bigger characters whiffed (Budokai 1)
Notice how only one of them is about gameplay, and it's about the engine being broken!
How is that broken?
If the attacks don't hit the enemy because of their size, it's only natural they whiff.

At post below:
If a character is small enough that EVERY single one of your standing attacks completely fly over their head, you have a problem.
Who said that 'every' attack whiffs?
No reasonable character in any actual serious fighting game has ever been like that.  Not even Iggy
If it doesn't have the Stand activated some attacks don't hit it.
Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:59:42 pm by Sin-
#21  June 22, 2016, 10:53:04 pm
    • USA
If a character is small enough that EVERY single one of your standing attacks completely fly over their head, you have a problem.  No reasonable character in any actual serious fighting game has ever been like that.  Not even Iggy, not even Rocket Raccoon.  When it does happen it always leads to problems like SC4 (what a horrible game) Yoda or JJBA Pet Shop who isn't even legal.

Keep in mind that I completely understand that Budokai is just meant for DBZ fans to fuck around with their favorite characters and that is 100% fine, but this thread is specifically asking about the series as competitive fighting games, a purpose for which they are not suited.
#22  June 22, 2016, 11:33:57 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
The TC only asked if people liked it. Didn't know fighting game community specifically pointed to the competitive scene.
#23  June 22, 2016, 11:56:07 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Well, now you know?
#24  June 22, 2016, 11:57:49 pm
    • USA
FGC has always mainly referred to people who go to locals and tournaments to play in a competitive environment.  Not even necessarily players, but also streamers, commentators, TOs, graphic designers and artists who help make everything happen.  It's kind of weird, but FGC usually doesn't refer to people who aren't part of that group. 
#25  June 23, 2016, 01:05:54 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
are yous eriously going to try and tell me that the thousands of people in twitch chat who dont play these games competitively but watch and support the people who do arent part of the fgc?
#26  June 23, 2016, 01:08:44 am
almost every time i've read the term FGC it refers to the people playing

i watch tournaments every now and then and have interacted with some players on twitter but there's no way i'd define myself as fgc
#27  June 23, 2016, 01:13:31 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
what would you define the people who are heavily into it but dont play like those in the streams then? the ones who are subbing to channels and watching and fololwing players religiously, even sponsoring them in some cases

also people who dont go to locals or comp, but play the game a lot online or offline

(not intending to be argumentative)

#28  June 23, 2016, 01:18:57 am
fgc followers

but i'd say that anyone that plays the game a shitload with other human beings (in person or online) is also fgc
#29  June 23, 2016, 01:22:36 am
    • USA
I would say that the distinction is this.  Being a fan and being part of the communtiy are not mutually exclusive.  You can be a fan of fighting games without participating in the community.  I'm a fan of wrestling but I don't post on wrestling sites or use /wooo/ or r/squaredcircle nor do I go to shows anymore.  I enjoy the product but I'm not part of the community.  That's how I see it anyway.

what would you define the people who are heavily into it but dont play like those in the streams then? the ones who are subbing to channels and watching and fololwing players religiously, even sponsoring them in some cases

also people who dont go to locals or comp, but play the game a lot online or offline

(not intending to be argumentative)

IMO that's still FGC.  You're still participating, just not in the same way.,

#30  June 23, 2016, 01:32:47 am
Spectators. They help in making competitive fighting games grow bigger by being interested.

But yeah, playing online and watching streams isn't considered being part of FGC by most. Being a contributing member of the community is, whether it's local or otherwise. Playing offline in tournaments isn't the only way, as already specified. Sponsors do count btw, even if they're more of an added bonus rather than a vital component to the culture.
#31  June 23, 2016, 01:34:34 am
    • USA
Spectators. They help in making competitive fighting games grow bigger by being interested.

But yeah, playing online and watching streams isn't considered being part of FGC by most. Being a contributing member of the community is, whether it's local or otherwise. Playing offline in tournaments isn't the only way, as already specified. Sponsors do count btw.

I've never heard anyone ever say that playing online makes you not FGC.  That's mostly what Bafael does.  His major contributions are his findings.

That being said online is probably the worst way to play fighting games.
#32  June 23, 2016, 01:48:05 am
By itself it's seen by some as not participating in the scene. Not that I agree or anything, online is the only means for some people to play. Not like everyone is blessed with arcades. Hell, a fair amoumt of modern day players were raised on netplay.

One day all games will use rollback on the level of ggpo, though it doesn't solve the issue of people not having super connection quality with near nonexistent ping.
Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:06:55 am by GSN
#33  June 23, 2016, 03:23:37 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I always loved Budokai 3 because the game was a bunch of ridiculously unbalanced bullshit and my brother and I had a fuckton of fun playing around with it.

I remember always making him ragequit by picking Arale because she was so broken.  Good times.
#34  June 23, 2016, 03:34:02 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
that's Tenkaichi 3, not budokai 3.
#35  June 23, 2016, 04:06:05 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Wait, Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi are two different series?

...Why?
#36  June 23, 2016, 04:56:06 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
They've always been different games? Blame it on stupid localized names.
Tenkaichi is just called Sparkling!! in Japan.
#37  June 23, 2016, 11:39:30 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Welcome to the Five Nights at Freddy's fandom

...Why?
Because the localizers wanted to appeal to the people who liked (lol) the Budokai games in hopes it would sell more.
#38  June 23, 2016, 01:04:27 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

...Why?

Budokai is based on 2d plane fighting

budokai tenkaichi ( SPARKING) is based on 3d fighting akin to a flight simulator of sorts, moves are all straight forward without any trajectory shifts

Burst limit is both, changing when you are near or far.

Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale is pretty much a wrestling game where people tag can even hold opponents so others shoot them down , moves are all about several people battling each other ( like 2 on 1 )

Battle of Z   it was all about tag team moves and having long cutscenes where your teammates reacted to your moves ,it was as cringy as it sounds.

Xenoverse went deeper into custom character, is flight simulator with beams again but the moves now control space.( some moves go up others down, others are stationary, instead of everything being beams of balls)

Super dbz is probably the only game that was made with actual fighting in mind,  the old butodens were interesting as well having created many staples of the game and even created names for moves that went on to become "official".

Trivia: Eighteen in the butodens , since she had no skill names to shout would say "TOOooorah" and other vocalizations and variations of the same word. This has become a staple in all games and nowadays even with full dialogue Eighteen usually is recorded using variations of "TORAH" while fighting.
#39  June 23, 2016, 08:19:35 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
If a character is small enough that EVERY single one of your standing attacks completely fly over their head, you have a problem.  No reasonable character in any actual serious fighting game has ever been like that.  Not even Iggy, not even Rocket Raccoon.  When it does happen it always leads to problems like SC4 (what a horrible game) Yoda or JJBA Pet Shop who isn't even legal.

Keep in mind that I completely understand that Budokai is just meant for DBZ fans to fuck around with their favorite characters and that is 100% fine, but this thread is specifically asking about the series as competitive fighting games, a purpose for which they are not suited.

I never had a particularly hard time hitting smaller characters in Budokai. The bigger characters' attack animations are made so they can handle that.