YesNoOk

Hey FGC, how you feel about the Budokai series? (Read 12582 times)

Started by D. HoChoy, June 22, 2016, 04:09:11 am
Share this topic:
Re: Hey FGC, how you feel about the Budokai series?
#21  June 22, 2016, 10:53:04 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
If a character is small enough that EVERY single one of your standing attacks completely fly over their head, you have a problem.  No reasonable character in any actual serious fighting game has ever been like that.  Not even Iggy, not even Rocket Raccoon.  When it does happen it always leads to problems like SC4 (what a horrible game) Yoda or JJBA Pet Shop who isn't even legal.

Keep in mind that I completely understand that Budokai is just meant for DBZ fans to fuck around with their favorite characters and that is 100% fine, but this thread is specifically asking about the series as competitive fighting games, a purpose for which they are not suited.
#22  June 22, 2016, 11:33:57 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
The TC only asked if people liked it. Didn't know fighting game community specifically pointed to the competitive scene.
#23  June 22, 2016, 11:56:07 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Well, now you know?
#24  June 22, 2016, 11:57:49 pm
    • USA
FGC has always mainly referred to people who go to locals and tournaments to play in a competitive environment.  Not even necessarily players, but also streamers, commentators, TOs, graphic designers and artists who help make everything happen.  It's kind of weird, but FGC usually doesn't refer to people who aren't part of that group. 
#25  June 23, 2016, 01:05:54 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
are yous eriously going to try and tell me that the thousands of people in twitch chat who dont play these games competitively but watch and support the people who do arent part of the fgc?
#26  June 23, 2016, 01:08:44 am
almost every time i've read the term FGC it refers to the people playing

i watch tournaments every now and then and have interacted with some players on twitter but there's no way i'd define myself as fgc
#27  June 23, 2016, 01:13:31 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
what would you define the people who are heavily into it but dont play like those in the streams then? the ones who are subbing to channels and watching and fololwing players religiously, even sponsoring them in some cases

also people who dont go to locals or comp, but play the game a lot online or offline

(not intending to be argumentative)

#28  June 23, 2016, 01:18:57 am
fgc followers

but i'd say that anyone that plays the game a shitload with other human beings (in person or online) is also fgc
#29  June 23, 2016, 01:22:36 am
    • USA
I would say that the distinction is this.  Being a fan and being part of the communtiy are not mutually exclusive.  You can be a fan of fighting games without participating in the community.  I'm a fan of wrestling but I don't post on wrestling sites or use /wooo/ or r/squaredcircle nor do I go to shows anymore.  I enjoy the product but I'm not part of the community.  That's how I see it anyway.

what would you define the people who are heavily into it but dont play like those in the streams then? the ones who are subbing to channels and watching and fololwing players religiously, even sponsoring them in some cases

also people who dont go to locals or comp, but play the game a lot online or offline

(not intending to be argumentative)

IMO that's still FGC.  You're still participating, just not in the same way.,

#30  June 23, 2016, 01:32:47 am
Spectators. They help in making competitive fighting games grow bigger by being interested.

But yeah, playing online and watching streams isn't considered being part of FGC by most. Being a contributing member of the community is, whether it's local or otherwise. Playing offline in tournaments isn't the only way, as already specified. Sponsors do count btw, even if they're more of an added bonus rather than a vital component to the culture.
#31  June 23, 2016, 01:34:34 am
    • USA
Spectators. They help in making competitive fighting games grow bigger by being interested.

But yeah, playing online and watching streams isn't considered being part of FGC by most. Being a contributing member of the community is, whether it's local or otherwise. Playing offline in tournaments isn't the only way, as already specified. Sponsors do count btw.

I've never heard anyone ever say that playing online makes you not FGC.  That's mostly what Bafael does.  His major contributions are his findings.

That being said online is probably the worst way to play fighting games.
#32  June 23, 2016, 01:48:05 am
By itself it's seen by some as not participating in the scene. Not that I agree or anything, online is the only means for some people to play. Not like everyone is blessed with arcades. Hell, a fair amoumt of modern day players were raised on netplay.

One day all games will use rollback on the level of ggpo, though it doesn't solve the issue of people not having super connection quality with near nonexistent ping.
Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:06:55 am by GSN
#33  June 23, 2016, 03:23:37 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I always loved Budokai 3 because the game was a bunch of ridiculously unbalanced bullshit and my brother and I had a fuckton of fun playing around with it.

I remember always making him ragequit by picking Arale because she was so broken.  Good times.
#34  June 23, 2016, 03:34:02 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
that's Tenkaichi 3, not budokai 3.
#35  June 23, 2016, 04:06:05 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Wait, Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi are two different series?

...Why?
#36  June 23, 2016, 04:56:06 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
They've always been different games? Blame it on stupid localized names.
Tenkaichi is just called Sparkling!! in Japan.
#37  June 23, 2016, 11:39:30 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Welcome to the Five Nights at Freddy's fandom

...Why?
Because the localizers wanted to appeal to the people who liked (lol) the Budokai games in hopes it would sell more.
#38  June 23, 2016, 01:04:27 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

...Why?

Budokai is based on 2d plane fighting

budokai tenkaichi ( SPARKING) is based on 3d fighting akin to a flight simulator of sorts, moves are all straight forward without any trajectory shifts

Burst limit is both, changing when you are near or far.

Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale is pretty much a wrestling game where people tag can even hold opponents so others shoot them down , moves are all about several people battling each other ( like 2 on 1 )

Battle of Z   it was all about tag team moves and having long cutscenes where your teammates reacted to your moves ,it was as cringy as it sounds.

Xenoverse went deeper into custom character, is flight simulator with beams again but the moves now control space.( some moves go up others down, others are stationary, instead of everything being beams of balls)

Super dbz is probably the only game that was made with actual fighting in mind,  the old butodens were interesting as well having created many staples of the game and even created names for moves that went on to become "official".

Trivia: Eighteen in the butodens , since she had no skill names to shout would say "TOOooorah" and other vocalizations and variations of the same word. This has become a staple in all games and nowadays even with full dialogue Eighteen usually is recorded using variations of "TORAH" while fighting.
#39  June 23, 2016, 08:19:35 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
If a character is small enough that EVERY single one of your standing attacks completely fly over their head, you have a problem.  No reasonable character in any actual serious fighting game has ever been like that.  Not even Iggy, not even Rocket Raccoon.  When it does happen it always leads to problems like SC4 (what a horrible game) Yoda or JJBA Pet Shop who isn't even legal.

Keep in mind that I completely understand that Budokai is just meant for DBZ fans to fuck around with their favorite characters and that is 100% fine, but this thread is specifically asking about the series as competitive fighting games, a purpose for which they are not suited.

I never had a particularly hard time hitting smaller characters in Budokai. The bigger characters' attack animations are made so they can handle that.