YesNoOk

I wanna go pro in Tekken. Got any protips? (Read 6873 times)

Started by D. HoChoy, April 02, 2017, 09:57:39 pm
Share this topic:
I wanna go pro in Tekken. Got any protips?
#1  April 02, 2017, 09:57:39 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
As a longtime fan of Tekken, I've always played the games rather casually but I wanna get EVO-level good and I'm sure there's some pros here who can help.

I have two questions:

1. How do you get good at escaping grabs? I'm considering using practice by making the training dummy grab me repeatedly with the replay option and removing the attack properties (high/mid/low) but I'm not too sure about that kind of training.

2. I'm maining Kazuya Mishima, Heihachi Mishima, Paul Phoenix, Lei Wulong, and Bruce Irwin. What preferred strategies and bread n' butter moves should I use with them?

Re: I wanna go pro in Tekken. Got any protips?
#2  April 02, 2017, 10:17:38 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
Lei hasn't been confirmed to be in T7 so i suggest to cross his name out.
Also its easy just block, parry, and attack is your best way to do well :) easier said then done right? haha
#3  April 02, 2017, 10:38:16 pm
  • hecc
If you're maining a Mishima, better learn how to EWGF.
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#4  April 02, 2017, 10:45:55 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Get a fight stick and play alot online, study frame data
if theres any available.
#5  April 02, 2017, 11:07:38 pm
Start with finding a local spot where there's other players. If you live near a hotspot, you'll be able to find one. And use that to get offline experience. Online play is not the same thing no matter what anyone says.

1. By recording throws and practice breaking them on reaction. You won't need a lot of time doing that in 7 (besides King of course), you'd have to be asleep to get thrown in that game.

2. Mishimas: Practice EWGF. Particularly Kazuya, he kinda sucks without it. Don't underestimate the use of 1,1,2.

Paul: Use sway to set up his options. And don't use Phoenix Smasher as a crutch, anyone good will punish it pretty easy.
#6  April 02, 2017, 11:13:53 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
1. How do you get good at escaping grabs? I'm considering using practice by making the training dummy grab me repeatedly with the replay option and removing the attack properties (high/mid/low) but I'm not too sure about that kind of training.
Throws in Tekken are easier to break than you think, but you do need to be observant. Characters tend to stick one arm further out. When it's the left, you escape with 1, when it's the right, you escape with 2. For special throws where neither arm sticks out, you break with 1+2.
Exceptions are side throws. Left and right side throws are always broken with 1 and 2 respectively regardless of arm position. Back throws are unbreakable.

And then there's the unique throws characters have which have their own rule as to which button breaks what.

There IS a throw break simulator for Tekken if you bother to search for it.
#7  April 03, 2017, 12:41:51 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Dont play Gigas
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#8  April 03, 2017, 12:57:15 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
This is a generic forum signature.
#9  April 03, 2017, 01:56:18 am
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
Most importantly, dont try main 5 characters - pick 1 main and a sub to start off.
Play the absolute hell out of one of those 2 characters.
Watch combo videos and tourny videos on YT of other pros using your chosen chars and see and learn all the tech and links they already figured out. Also, practice korean backdash until its just a habit you do without even thinking when moving.
#10  April 03, 2017, 03:10:27 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Lei hasn't been confirmed to be in T7 so i suggest to cross his name out.
Also its easy just block, parry, and attack is your best way to do well :) easier said then done right? haha

Neither has Bruce, but you can play Josie Rizal who is similar.  I think it is best to start with one character though rather than mutilple.

Get a fight stick and play alot online, study frame data
if theres any available.

Ignore this advice.  You do not need a fight stick to play fighting games well and buying one won't make you better.