YesNoOk

Hip-Hop Discussion Thread (Read 90721 times)

Started by D'Evil, April 15, 2013, 07:23:55 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Hip-Hop Discussion Thread
#21  April 15, 2013, 09:00:18 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
#22  April 15, 2013, 09:01:57 pm
  • "Draw Pilgrim" or something.
    • USA
Also Pac=ridiculously overrated, from a lyrical/flow/just about everything standpoint he was nothing incredible.

You cannot be serious. I agree in that hip hop is definitely not dead but you have GOT to be kidding me.

I am, to the fullest possible extent. Pac's only strength to me was that he was a workhorse and his album quality was very consistent. But from any other standpoint he's just good, not the legendary MC some make him out to be. He may have held influence, but that's not what I'm looking for in my hip-hop artists.

Well you shouldnt of made this tread then if you can take others opinions, how old are you? where you around when real Hip Hop was poppin?

I can take others opinions easily, I just think your own is one that doesn't come across as educated or matured, therefore I'm not taking you seriously.
#23  April 15, 2013, 09:03:57 pm
  • Legend now but still learning
    • USA
    • http://cvsnb.deviantart.com/
#24  April 15, 2013, 09:04:54 pm
Well first of all an emcee is the master of ceremonies/mic controller (aka MC). Second of all, living what you rap doesn't make you any more of a rapper/hiphop artist/emcee than the next guy, it just gives you better material to write about, similar to that of an author, which is why guys like Pac have so much success, it gives them a message.

That's what separates the great rappers from the garbage rappers IMO. A message. Don't gotta be living in the trap or nothin crazy like that you just come with a unique style, flow and a message in your raps that keep fans coming back and in agreement with your ideals. That's real music to me.

Also this mainstream hate seems kind of unwarranted considering that Kendrick never changes or acts like something he's not even on features and radio tracks. Sometimes you just gotta jump on a track though and drop a few bars, you can't get mad at anybody for that

EDIT:
Also Pac=ridiculously overrated, from a lyrical/flow/just about everything standpoint he was nothing incredible.

You cannot be serious. I agree in that hip hop is definitely not dead but you have GOT to be kidding me.

I am, to the fullest possible extent. Pac's only strength to me was that he was a workhorse and his album quality was very consistent. But from any other standpoint he's just good, not the legendary MC some make him out to be. He may have held influence, but that's not what I'm looking for in my hip-hop artists.

Opinion respected. But I beg to differ.
Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:09:15 pm by Cazaki
#25  April 15, 2013, 09:07:51 pm
  • Legend now but still learning
    • USA
    • http://cvsnb.deviantart.com/
his collab track is shit with mainstream artist, its my opinion leave it as that. you cant respect that then im done talking.
#26  April 15, 2013, 09:14:09 pm
    • USA
I've REALLY got to listen to some mainstream... I haven't heard any music from Kendrick or Childish (Yea I know, tragic :()
I here good things from both of them so I'll probably listen to em later today.

Any suggestions for songs by Kendrick or Childish that I should listen to?
#27  April 15, 2013, 09:17:24 pm
    • USA
I've REALLY got to listen to some mainstream... I haven't heard any music from Kendrick or Childish (Yea I know, tragic :()

Can't speak for Childish but I think if you want to really get into Kendrick you should just give GKMC a few listens. It took me a while to get into him, primarily due to his voice but his lyricism is undoubtedly poetic, and his ability to quickly transition flows is just amazing. GKMC tells a narrative over the course of the album so there's more incentive to give it some more listens.
#28  April 15, 2013, 09:18:22 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

Kendrick= Bitch dont kill my vibe, Money trees, Good Kid, Sing about me, Compton
#29  April 15, 2013, 09:19:00 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Gambino's EP has a good handful of great tracks, this track is one of my favorites.

#30  April 15, 2013, 09:21:48 pm
Childish Gambino isn't mainstream at all. He has a cult following at best. Recommendations: We Ain't Them, They Don't Like Me, Les, Unnecessary (If you like to bump stuff in the whip he's not the guy to listen to but he has a few tracks for that on ROYALTY)

Kendrick has recently become mainstream with his debut album Good Kid MAAD City but instead of a few recommendations I suggest you listen to O.D. (Overly Dedicated) from start to finish.

EDIT: LOL all these guys recommended GKMC songs but seriously go back and listen to O.D. first you'll appreciate GKMC more if you do
#31  April 15, 2013, 09:24:07 pm
    • USA
He is mainstream in a sense, as he is a pretty well known comedian and actor, but I guess as far as being a rapper goes you're right.
#32  April 15, 2013, 09:45:00 pm
    • USA
In other news, Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge are dropping Twelve Ways To Die tomorrow, a new album which from the sounds of it seems pretty great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHb0ALkFzo
^ A track for example, check it out if you're interested.
#33  April 15, 2013, 09:51:17 pm
    • USA
That was beyond awesome.
Definitely going to listen to their upcoming album. :yes:

GLB

#34  April 16, 2013, 03:43:44 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Not a huge fan of Kendrick myself, though I wouldn't call him "garbage." I personally only liked Rigamortis Remix with Busta Rhymes and ADHD. I did like his verses in the cyphers he participated in as well.

There's several artists around now that're making or made some solid music some what recently IMO. Namely:

Macklemore (minus thrift shop, because I can't hear it anymore.)
KnowMads (As Micah mentioned)
Blue Scholars
SOL
Grieves.

^ All above are from Seattle and have a similar flow, I personally am a huge fan of Seattle based raps. Which for the most part consists of some wonderful producers with some very deep lyrics.

Artisits I like that aren't Seattle based:

Yelawolf
Ces Cru (Godemis and Ubiquitous)
Tech N9ne
STS
Machine Gun Kelly
Cam Meekins
G-Eazy (also a fantastic producer)
Mod Sun
Immortal Technique
Rittz
Aesop Rock (some songs, not a huge fan)
Hopsin
SwizZz
Jarren Benton
Dizzy Wright
CAE
Whitney Peyton
B.o.B (On occasion)
Elephant Room
Tarik
Snak The Ripper

Hell, I'll occasionally even hear a Wiz Khalifa or Mac Miller song I don't mind, it's a rare occurrence though.

Among several others.

I saw Asher was mentioned, can honestly say I'm not a fan of him either. Could just never get into him.

I'm also a fan of some old school hip-hop, so I'm very open minded to all types of it. I don't think it's fair to say hip-hop's dead, you sound like the common listener that hears something on the radio and throws the genre away like a used napkin.

Regardless of all that, I'm a huge hip-hop fan and I am happy to see a thread for it here. I hope we can have some worth while discussions here, and potentially show each other some new interesting music.
Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:54:22 am by Godemis
#35  April 16, 2013, 03:53:33 am
    • USA
Lmao our opinions differ so much it's ridiculous. I enjoy Yela & absolutely love Aesop, not big on your other picks.
#36  April 16, 2013, 03:54:55 am
    • USA
I love Tech N9ne and Hopsin, but I really hope Hopsin's next album is a big departure from Raw, I could see that act getting stale if he keeps it up for much longer.
#37  April 16, 2013, 03:55:58 am
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
    • infiniteff.forumotion.com/
That's a great list you got there GLB.

I've been fucking with mainly Joey Badass, and Gambino lately. I was trying to tell people about Kendrick for years but most people only listen now because he is getting an industry look, but I also think Ab-soul makes great hip-hop music too. 
#38  April 16, 2013, 03:58:52 am
    • USA
Soul & Badass are dope as hell.

GLB

#39  April 16, 2013, 04:01:46 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Lmao our opinions differ so much it's ridiculous. I enjoy Yela & absolutely love Aesop, not big on your other picks.

Yeah, to each his own. I'm surprised you like Yelawolf but don't seem to have any kind of interest in Rittz, Ces Cru or Elephant Room. The four share a "southern" vibe in a good majority of their songs.

I love Tech N9ne and Hopsin, but I really hope Hopsin's next album is a big departure from Raw, I could see that act getting stale if he keeps it up for much longer.

RAW was great in it's time IMO. It becomes old fast, but I was able to enjoy every song on RAW. Judging from how Hopsin usually drops songs, he gains a huge buzz from his Ill Minds, and then goes slightly AWOL minus Facebook updates and loses the buzz he got. Ill Mind 5 was a mind blower, and I feel like he slept on using that buzz to promote his newer material.

That's a great list you got there GLB.

I've been fucking with mainly Joey Badass, and Gambino lately. I was trying to tell people about Kendrick for years but most people only listen now because he is getting an industry look, but I also think Ab-soul makes great hip-hop music too. 

Thank you!

I've never gotten into Gambino much myself, but I've only heard about 1 or 2 songs. I've been the same way you are about Kendrick with Macklemore. Knew about him for years now and have been a dedicated fan ever since I first heard his stuff. I started with songs like White Privilege.  Only to see him gain fame over Thrift Shop blowing up which is incredibly annoying to me now.
#40  April 16, 2013, 04:07:45 am
    • USA
Real talk, have no love for Hopsin. I feel his only exceptional trait is his flow, he comes across as bland & starved for originality in every other aspect. Not big on Ill Mind 5 either, sounded way too preachy and came out sounding like a Damien Sandow promo.