YesNoOk

Mugen 1.1 fight small portrait stuck on default palette (Read 1468 times)

Started by thepacifist, April 21, 2017, 12:18:39 am
Share this topic:
Mugen 1.1 fight small portrait stuck on default palette
#1  April 21, 2017, 12:18:39 am
Does anyone know how to make it so the fight portrait by the lifebars reflects the palette being used by the character? I saw there was a thread on this a couple of years ago (http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/portrait-palette-fight-mugen-1-1-164339.0.html) but there was no conclusion as the original poster did not report on whether the fix worked.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any 1.1 character examples where their fight portrait palette matches their character palette?

I'm thinking of moving over to 1.1 and wanted to see if I could fix this for each of my characters. Thanks!
Re: Mugen 1.1 fight small portrait stuck on default palette
#2  April 21, 2017, 12:53:44 am
  • Glorious Bastard
  • Halfway between both negatives
    • UK
    • garchompmatt.neocities.org
It's a bug* with 1.1. Simply put, you can't fix it.

*By which I mean it comes as a result of a deliberate feature Elecbyte implemented where the portrait no longer shares PalFX with the character.
3DS FC: 0516 - 7483 - 3564
Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#3  April 21, 2017, 02:13:28 am
  • Here's the big one ! Buster Wolf !
I have always had that bug in my workbench build, never got around to checking out how to fix it, cause I use custom ports, If the pal code did not work for it, I think it cant be fixed. Best thing you can do is apply the default pal on it and call it a day.
#4  April 21, 2017, 05:45:06 am
  • RISSSSSSIIIIINNNNGGGGG TACO!!!
    • USA
I have always had that bug in my workbench build, never got around to checking out how to fix it, cause I use custom ports, If the pal code did not work for it, I think it cant be fixed. Best thing you can do is apply the default pal on it and call it a day.

I was also going to look into this for someone else, but due to the fact that I use custom as well it always slips my mind. If I find anything I'll report back.

#5  April 21, 2017, 06:05:53 am
  • MUGEN Tag Fighting Jam CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I believe it's a 1.1 issue and no matter what you do, you're always stuck with the default palette on the default port. Currently and unfortunately, this is an issue that CANNOT be fixed by any means.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#6  April 21, 2017, 07:16:37 am
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I just learned of a workaround. Scruffydragon just released their "Pocket World DC v2.0" full game which runs on Mugen 1.1. I noticed that the fight portraits change color to match the palette of the character. When I asked how they did this, they said, "It is a explod with shared palette that shows over the position of the portrait." McDucky Potatoes mentioned this as a possible workaround in the thread I linked to in my original post here, but it was never followed up on in that thread so I wasn't sure if it would work. Seems like that's what worked for SD's new game.

My follow-up question would be "how do you code that sort of explod and where do you put it?" since I'm quite an amateur at coding this sort of thing. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'll post this same question over at SD and let you know if I get a response.
#7  April 21, 2017, 08:04:12 am
Thanks for the tip on sailormoon. Which sailormoon are you referring to (which author/creator)? I've never downloaded her so am unfamiliar.
New #8  April 21, 2017, 12:25:55 pm
  • Glorious Bastard
  • Halfway between both negatives
    • UK
    • garchompmatt.neocities.org
I avoided mentioning that particular workaround because it's something you can only really achieve in a full game such as the one you described; you'd basically need to know exactly where the portrait is displayed on the lifebars, since not all lifebars are the same, and add the Explod to every character in your roster. It'd be a pain to keep doing this every time you add a new character or change the lifebars you're using.
3DS FC: 0516 - 7483 - 3564
Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:31:36 pm by GarchompMatt