YesNoOk

Need help fixing auto dodge (Read 4992 times)

Started by AxilusPrime, May 27, 2018, 10:17:05 am
Share this topic:
Need help fixing auto dodge
#1  May 27, 2018, 10:17:05 am
    • USA
So there's a Goku character file and there's something I'm trying to change about him for balancing reasons. Trying to make a...vaguely...balanced Dragon Ball Super roster here. Download link in the description of that video.

Anyway, he's got all the forms in Super so far including Ultra Instinct and Mastered Ultra Instinct. The thing is the Mastered version has an excessively effective auto dodge built in. He'll dodge literally everything no matter how fast unless he is in the process of attacking and he missed, which is rare. In exchange for that, his life ticks away at a constant rate until he dies. Thing is that means he's basically playing by himself and whether he wins or not is totally determined by how tanky the opponent is.

The first Ultra Instinct form has an autododge too, but he only dodges the first hit of a combo and then he can be attacked. I wanna make the Mastered Ultra Instinct autododge exactly the same as the other Ultra Instinct and then remove the life drain so he's actually fighting the opponent instead of being invincible while he races the clock for damage. I do know how to remove or change the life drain but it's unfair to the opponent if I can't fix the auto dodge.

Can someone help me make the Mastered Ultra Instinct form dodge in the same manner as the other Ultra Instinct form so he's not invincible? Preferably with an explanation of how to do it myself. I can handle the other changes.
Re: Need help fixing auto dodge
#2  May 27, 2018, 11:46:39 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Use Debug to find out what state(s) the dodge goes into. CTRL+D will cycle through the characters. You'll see the anim and the state in the bottom left of the screen.
In the CMD look for that State number in a changestate. This is what sends the character to that state. You could have it listed 2x in the cmd. One for player control and the other for AI. In the changestate there may also be a var trigger to see what mode it's in. There will probably be 2 or 3 sets of triggers based on this var. Ultra Instinct & Mastered Ultra Instinct. You may be able to adjust that var check to allow UI & MUI to work the same exact triggers. That would be the easiest way. You'd want to comment out any triggers that only allow MUI so it doesn't keep switching.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  May 28, 2018, 06:33:54 am
    • USA
In UI, he'll go into state 35506, 35507, or 35508 when dodging. In MUI he'll go into 37506, 37507, or 37508 when dodging. All of these states look like they do the same thing but with different dodge movements. Strangely none of these states appear in the CMD at all. Any idea what to do from here?
#4  May 28, 2018, 08:45:16 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
So there's probably 1 changestate doing math.
Look/search/find ctrl+F for
and maybe
3450 or 34000
Not sure on the exact math.
but press enter a few times if you get hits on any of them. It's doing some math based off a var more than likely. Like
(34505 + (var(x)*1000))+random%3
so if var x = 1 you get 1003+34505 = 35508
Look for something similar to that. If you can find out the variable when you change modes you could search for that.

You may just be able to scroll down the changestates and see the math. If they're named, look for that. In FF3 or FFS press the button to show the names of the changestates. If you can perform the move to change modes, look it up in the command name section and search for the name. You should see the var in that changestate or in the statedef.
#5  May 28, 2018, 01:25:32 pm
    • USA
I did find stuff like that, but strangely modifying it did nothing. Now here's the really crazy part. I tried just removing those states entirely from the MUI cns. That...did nothing either. Super confused now.
#6  May 28, 2018, 10:28:18 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
What states does it send you to?
Have you tried tracking down the variable yet?
#7  May 29, 2018, 03:58:05 am
    • USA
Well here's a crazy update.

It just sent me to those states anyway. The reason for this is because apparently the UI cns has a section (pretty much the whole second half) controls MUI. The MUI cns doesn't do anything at all. It has some states in it, but not enough to run a form on its own. Changing or removing it does nothing. I have to modify the relevant parts of the UI cns.

After realizing this I was running out of time, so I tried just removing the states to see what would happen. When I do that, on hit he ceases to exist, so I changed it back.
Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:54:41 pm by AxilusPrime
#8  May 30, 2018, 06:06:45 am
    • USA
Ok, so I think I just found out the most important thing to solving this problem. The auto-dodge is not the problem. It's not fast enough in either form to dodge every attack. The reason the MUI appears to auto dodge everything is that it in fact is unhittable from a standing or walking position. The auto dodge does functionally work in both UI and MUI, but in the case of MUI it's just there to cover up the fact that he has either no hitbox or a negated hitbox when not attacking. I discovered this when I removed the Phantom Sense successfully, causing it to be absent from both forms, but MUI would simply not be hit by attacks even when he wasn't visibly performing a dodge.

When I check in the animation, standing and walking MUI have a green and a yellow box instead of a blue one. What does this mean?
#9  May 30, 2018, 07:07:29 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Green and yellow is the same as blue and red. The only difference is that green and yellow is the same hitbox throughout the whole animation.
#10  May 30, 2018, 08:31:09 am
    • USA
Alright. Well, he clearly has a hitbox, but it isn't triggering him into his hit states like it normally would unless he gets hit while attacking. How would I fix this?
#11  May 30, 2018, 09:22:33 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
It sounds like a hitoverride.
And I'd guess it's part of statedef -2 if it happens in more than a few states. But look in State 0 and state 20 for anything like a hitoverride. If you find them you'll need to check all the basic states. Have you figured out how it determines if it's UI or MUI mode yet?

Are you testing against AI or doing a controlled test against a stationary P2?
#12  May 30, 2018, 06:21:47 pm
    • USA
You were right. It was a State 0 thing. The weird part is it was placed in the artificial intelligence cns. A lot of things that affect the character as a whole are in there for some reason. Is that normal, or is it just something this particular creator does?

Anyway, I managed to fix it once I found it and did a fair bit of trial and error. Var(2) determines what form something applies to. Var(2) = 6 means UI, while Var(2) = 7 means MUI.

Here's where I found the code

And here's what I changed it to

Now MUI's auto dodge is exactly identical to UI's, making him possible to hit. After that I removed the health drain and he can have even fights with 100% power Jiren. That's what I was going for, so finally all that work paid off.

But I'm still kinda wondering why what I did worked. Can ya explain that based on the pics?