Stages (Read 134636 times)

Started by FeLo_Llop, April 14, 2014, 10:24:38 am
Stages
#1  April 14, 2014, 10:24:38 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Stage standards
fighting area width: 768
For all stages stretched by default in game use: xscale =  .8333333333

Hi there! Well, here's the topic about stages. A stage for each character(a lot of work) or general stages for some characters?

My suggestion is, if you have to fight against Dhalsim, you can't fight him in Africa(haaaaa SF4 did a terrible thing here!), you MUST fight him in India, the same as you shouldn't fight Zangief in Spain. So, the question here is, what about some "generic" stages? Just having some changes to them(a car that appears or not, rain, clouds, etc).

- This could be a Sodom/ Rufus/ T.Hawk/ etc stage:

Just change that Dandy for one of Mad Gear's thugs, for example. Or El Fuerte.

- Blue Mosque, Istanbul.:

- Cretacic Jungle. Yes, CFJ Amazonia plus a Styrakosaur I did long ago:

- India:

(of course my nick will not appear in the final result :P!)

Also Balthazar had the idea to have only 1 basic palette  for each character (or 3), but each palette would actually be different depending on what stage you're fighting in. If you're fighting in a sunny stage, both character's palettes will have a more orange-y tinted default palette; when fighting in an alley stage, the default palette would be a more desaturated and gloomy. It's basicly how it worked in DBZ Hyper Dimension:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Look at Piccolo, and you'll see he has the same default palette, but it's colored differently in the sunset and sunny stage.

According to DKDC, it's simpler to apply a transparent image that darkens (or reddens or brightens or whatever) everything, and is part of the stage. I'm pretty sure that process has been done in Mugen on stages such as the (awesome) "guardian dogs temple" from SvC Chaos (boss stage of Honki ni Natta Mr.Karate and Shin Gouki).
I swear there was something cool here!!
Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:40:23 pm by Just No Point
Re: Stages Brainstorming
#2  April 14, 2014, 11:20:03 am
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
That's a great idea, Felo!

Stages that fit more than one character would be pretty cool.
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#3  April 14, 2014, 11:25:44 am
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
In Street Fighter, usually the stages were certain well known places per country. Maybe perhaps when it comes to boss stages, Bison could be fought in a Shadaloo base, etc.

You could also go for stage assignment reminiscent of the first SF Alpha/Zero; Each stage have two versions that corresponds to a pair of characters.

SNT

#4  April 14, 2014, 01:44:32 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia

Australian god damn Outback.  It's my nation's single proud contribution to Street Fighter lore.  Boss Mode Ryu or Sagat could be fought here.

Guy's SFA2 stage, good for any of the Final Fight characters.  All of the characters in the immediate background are their own layer; remove the Cody layer, change the lighting, you've got a Cody stage.  Remove the Poison layer, change the lighting, you've got a Poison stage.

Spoiler: something like this (click to see content)
Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:16:42 pm by SNT
#5  April 14, 2014, 02:05:54 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
you could probably get another stage out of outback, just have a shiny blue sky and calm grass and you got a prairie going on that would fit most lighthearted characters.
#6  April 14, 2014, 02:50:28 pm
I am supporting all of this about stages. Generic ones are better for the game since it is more of a dream crossover/battle game between it's own titles.
Same was done with CVS2: http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/capcom/cvs2_bosses.html

Love the Istanbul one. We need a Holland stage aswell. :)
#7  April 14, 2014, 03:19:01 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Well, there is the Bloemen Festival stage from Tekken Revolution!

'Kinderdijk is a village in South Holland, situated in the Alblasserwaard'
I mean, damn, windmills? That's like the most Holland thing you can think of!

Whoever wrote that Kinderdijk is in Germany is an idiot!
Dimnwitted americans, always mixing up Holland with Germany. Ingrates!
Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:24:01 pm by Balthazar
#8  April 14, 2014, 04:25:11 pm
Indeed buddy. Kinderdijk is from Holland since the very beginning.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinderdijk

Also Felo, Blue Mosque is great like I said but, I believe Maiden Tower from Istanbul fits in more. Could be a stage for the female fighters in game.
You should consider it as the place is/was used in many different games such as Assasin's Creed. The Tower has a real true legendary story. It's history is huge!

Some examples:

#9  April 14, 2014, 11:18:59 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Sodom in some desert is heresy - he belongs in either Metro City or the most niponophile stage in the game.

Speaking of Metro City, it'd be cool for that to include a sprite of a kid version of Captain Commando, since his game takes place in that city in the future.

HQ

Re: Stages
#10  April 15, 2014, 12:40:21 pm
just a small reminder where the street fighters are from ;)

#11  April 16, 2014, 09:45:10 am
  • Screenpack Novice
  • *Also accepts laundry service during Sundays.
    • Philippines
just a small reminder where the street fighters are from ;)

This'll come in handy for the SP designs! TY.

EDIT: I think one stage per country is enough (Plus boss stages and stuff). But that's me anyway.
My image parsing is stupid.
Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:00:30 am by carlvic2
#12  April 17, 2014, 09:45:39 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Speaking to Felo about the stages, the following ideas were proposed and discussed:

- Stages will consist in a common base and use variations (noon, sunset, night, rain... ) of the same for every character.
- Base the stages on the character's features, instead of country specific, but leave the option to include specific country landmarks if necessary

For example, for the Japanese characters, we could group them this way:

Ryu + Makoto: Motif - Karate fighters. Stage could be the outdoor of a Dojo (similar to SF3 Ibuki or Makoto)
Retsu + Akuma + Gouken: Motif - Monks/Masters. Stage could be the indoor of the Dojo above. The stage could include statues such as the ones in SFA2 Akuma.
Sakura + Karin: Motif - Schoolgirls. Stage could be a Japanese city street, like SFA1 Ryu or SFA3 Karin. Akihabara is a neighborhood in Tokyo frequently visited by schoolgirls.
E. Honda - Always linked to a bathhouse, the bathhouse could also be featured on the street scene from above
Ibuki + Geki: Motif - Ninjas. Stage could be a forest or something based in SFA2 Australian outback (it always reminded me to the final showdown in Ninja based B-Movies) or a stage based on SF3 Akuma

With this grouping, we would have 4 base stages assigned to 10 characters. Every character would get their own variation. Some of these variations may consist in a before/after scenario, for example an active dojo Vs the same dojo in an abandoned/destroyed state.

Other Japanese characters such as Maki or R.Mika can be associated to their own motifs. Maki will fit in the Final Fight troupe, whereas R.Mika will hang out with the wrestlers like Zangief.

Of course, this approach poses a challenge for some characters such as Dhalsim or Claw. In this cases, it may be best to remake the classic stages, but adding a twist.

For example, Claw could be fighting in a cage within an elite club with rich people (like in the SF V anime, or the Andores cage fight in FF). This keeps the idea of the classic stage, but completely drops the stereotypes of Flamenco, gipsies and bullfighting from his classic SF2 stage).

Dhalsim could use his classic SF2 theme, but have the temple and the elephants as a Bollywood movie set. This could be funny, don't you think? Because if we are realistic, elephants are not usually found in a temple :)

So guys, let us know your thoughts on these ideas.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#13  April 17, 2014, 09:58:49 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
If going for a movie set theme, the Dhalsim stage could use a base shared by Fei Long's - although I don't really see Dhalsim involved with show biz, I could imagine him being invited for a cameo in some movie, or invited for some talk show.
For extra SF India factor, maybe toss in a Darun Mister cameos from the EX series, if someone were to bother spriting that?

At least one of the early Marvel crossovers had a stage taking place in a studio, maybe that could be adapted.
#14  April 18, 2014, 12:36:48 am
I see Dhalsim more at  Sagat's stage.

What about using pre-existent stages from CvS?
-Buddha--Sagat, Dhalsim(?)
- "Purple Ayuthaya(?)--Adon, etc?
- Metro City. Of course you know who fits here!! Maybe adding things as rain and/or cameos for different chars.
- Japanese temple's doors: Ryu, Gouken? (Mystik Blaze did this)
- Inside Shadowlaw(Dictator). Yoda did an awesome stage of this
- London: arfff...it's super cool, but we must erase Rose, Dudders and Elena from it. Or transform them in others :/

Just suggesting crazy things D:

SNT

#15  April 18, 2014, 01:30:23 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Spoiler: Ryu, Makoto, Retsu, Gouken, Akuma (click to see content)

Spoiler: Sakura, Karin (click to see content)

Spoiler: Ibuki, Geki (click to see content)

Spoiler: Guy, Cody, Poison (click to see content)

Spoiler: Hugo, Sodom, Haggar, R.Mika, wrestlers in general (click to see content)
#16  April 18, 2014, 02:38:57 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Perhaps it would be better to work from inside out? Right now we are focussing on Ryu, ChunLi, Eagle, and Birdie.
What categories should these characters be in? Could start getting sprites for them.

I do agree that Ryu should have his temple stage. Bosses should have their own as well. We also need a training stage. I feel the MFG logo should be in the background. Give it a guild color scheme, etc
#17  April 18, 2014, 09:42:01 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Eagle and Birdie are both British bouncers. They could be in front of or inside an elitist disco or a nightclub. This could be the same club where later Claw is performing cage fights or Dee Jay being on the decks.

As Felo said, London's CvS2 stage could be the best place for them, with some variations.

We can even display on the wall posters of Claw or Dee Jay. Other British characters could also do cameos (Cammy, Dudley, Titanic Tim, Gallon, Morrigan?..)

http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
#18  April 18, 2014, 09:55:02 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
There's also the stage BG from MvC1 - some tweaks like maybe humanizing Zabel/Lord Raptor on stage could help.

Or maybe I just really like how the SFA (mostly 2) and MvC1 aesthetics seem to match nicely.
#19  April 23, 2014, 03:04:28 am
  • I must continue my training...
So many ideas run threw my head. I'll try and share them when I have time guys. But I'm sure i could help here as well.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#20  April 23, 2014, 12:56:37 pm
We can even display on the wall posters of Claw or Dee Jay.
I'm fine with it.
Other British characters could also do cameos (Cammy, Dudley, Titanic Tim, Gallon, Morrigan?..)
But with this not much (unless you're using chars that won't be in the game). The poster idea could work with said characters though (like Dudley #1 Boxer vs "Insert name of boxer he will fight": Match at 11:00 p.m. or something); if it worked for Ding and his stage, why don't we make a topic (with a template, to be decided) to request from the community (if the users want) their ideas for the poster?
#21  April 23, 2014, 12:58:21 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
What is the purpose of shared stages? It's absolutely the thing I hate the most about games like Z1 and 3rd Strike.

On an actual production, of course fewer stages means less storage space and less labour is required. In certain games with gigantic rosters it's perfectly understandable that creating a unique stage for each character was not feasible for a number of reasons, but regardless, I have difficulty seeing it as anything other than a pretty major compromise. On a side note, I find that a smaller selection of entirely generic stages is a more satisfying compromise than giving most characters their own stage and then have some characters "borrow" from them, but the point remains - it's a compromise, and the ideal (in my mind anyway) should be that each character have their own stage and their own theme song.

For me this really goes back to SF2. The characters in SF2 were amazing in many ways, but that cast didn't just begin and end with the characters themselves - each of the characters were also defined by their stage and by their background music. Other fighting games have done this to greater and to lesser effect, others have ignored this concept entirely, but personally I feel it's integral to making Street Fighter feel like Street Fighter. Not to say I dislike SF4, for instance, but it absolutely bugs me that the new SF4 characters, for the most part, don't have stages to call their own. I would love to know what Viper's or Abel's stage would look like.

So going back to my original point, what is the purpose? Reduced workload? While I absolutely agree with the idea of starting small, and making baby steps, I think that if the ball really gets rolling, there's really no limit to how big the scope of this project could get. And with that in mind - and considering the relative workload of creating a stage as opposed to creating a character - is it really that infeasible to create a stage for every character? I agree that certain ideas for shared stages absolutely COULD work. A stage like CvS2 London for Eagle and Dudley for instance, sure. But is it better than giving them each their own stage? I don't think so.

Stages could really be made in any order, and I'm definitely not against the idea of having additional, generic stages (like in Z2 for example), but I personally don't like the idea of individual character stages being dismissed so easily.

Just my $0.02. :)

SNT

#22  April 23, 2014, 01:47:06 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
What Jigsaw says.  Why the heck not a stage for each character?  It's something Street Fighter is renowned for, and this is supposed to be the MFG's tribute to Street Fighter.  Feels wrong not to do it.
#23  April 23, 2014, 03:15:59 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I agree, most of the characters already have their own stages. I don't see why we can't use the stages from SFA3 and edit SF2/3 stages to fit the character not from that game and for stages we like better.
#24  April 23, 2014, 04:06:06 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's what I thought we were doing as well. Perhaps we should put this to a poll?

Everyone seemed to be on board for the "Use same stages but take different elements for each character". So in that regard every stage would be unique to each character.

I just go by what the majority wishes to do. Whether it's use similar stages with tweaks or totally different stages is fine with me. My preference is the latter though =p
#25  April 23, 2014, 04:34:21 pm
Everyone seemed to be on board for the "Use same stages but take different elements for each character". So in that regard every stage would be unique to each character.
It's a good thing for characters that share something obvious, like Metro City for the Final Fight guys, it works well by creating a visible connection from the backstory, and it saves the trouble from actually getting different places. Though different locations within Metro City works well too, like the public toilets from SFZ2 I think for Poison and the street for Cody, but it has to be obvious it's still Metro City - like, I dunno, one stage has a view from a different angle on another stage (the MC street shows the entrance to the public toilet and make it visible that it's the same place as the other stage, for example, while the toilet has a view to the outside which is the same street). But that one becomes a lot more work in arrangements and straight ports can't be used since they don't do that.
But it shouldn't be "random dojo #8364" shared for all the practitioners of any style of Karate.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#26  April 23, 2014, 04:36:04 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I would be really happy if we used Ken's Stage from SFA2, Ryu's Stage from SF2 (during Evening), Austrailian Outback from SFA2 Rose's Stage from SFA3 and Karin's from SFA3 (PSX) those 5 are my favorite SF stages of all time It'd be great to see them.

However, since We aren't working on those characters outside of Ryu at the moment, I think It'd be great to See his SF2 Stage during Evening. Something like this:

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/08072013-rehosting-and-bulletproof-sf-remakes-and-customs-138549.0.html
#27  April 23, 2014, 04:41:46 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Well 1st let's see what the community wishes to do. Then we can discuss the stages for the characters being made.

Still think the training stage should have Guild's logo and be MFG themed.
poll added
#28  April 23, 2014, 04:51:37 pm
    • Netherlands
I must say I tend to lean heavily towards character specific stages.
Like Jiggeh said, it just gives way more personality to a character, if they have a stage + music theme specifically for them.
#29  April 23, 2014, 05:22:10 pm
I'd personally go with stage/character. That's why I started that Dhalsim's revamp time ago. Also, thought in redoing Venice's(SFZ2) for Rose(even she's grom Genosha Genoa).

But, some other characters with linked stories(those from Metro City, Retsu-Gouken-Gouki, Guile-Charlie, etc) could use the same with some variations.

There are characters whose stages are AWESOMELY done and they don't need a revamp, IMHO. Some examples (excuse the hyperlinking)

- Alex(SF3: 2nd Impact)
- Ken(SF3: 2nd Impact)
- Elena (SF3: 2nd Impact)
- Yang(SF3: 2nd Impact)
- Dan(?!)/ Sakura (CvS Pro):
- Gouken/Retsu (hey! it's similar to retsu's stage from SF1!)--(CvS)
- Normal dictator (CvS)
- Sagat (CvS)(that golden sunny Ayutthaya)

Country Based stages:
- Somewhere at Thailand(CvS):
- Somewhere at Egypt:
#30  April 23, 2014, 06:38:32 pm

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
[/quote said:
#31  April 24, 2014, 10:18:04 am
    • Netherlands
I have to say, for some reason I really like the men's pub bathroom stage from SFA2 for Birdie :) So hopefully it makes it in here.
#32  April 24, 2014, 12:27:55 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
I have to say, for some reason I really like the men's pub bathroom stage from SFA2 for Birdie :) So hopefully it makes it in here.

I see it more fitting to the Final Fight cast ;)

Just put a white dog, a couple of punks (J and 2P) and you're done :)
#33  April 24, 2014, 01:34:21 pm

[/quote said:
#34  April 24, 2014, 01:56:30 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
Voted for Stage Variations, if I'm phrasing that right.

I have to disagree with Jiggeh - whilst I do like the idea of characters having their own unique stages, that only works if the roster is small/concise enough to warrant such a thing. But considering that the roster for this project is going to end up quite large in the future, there's no way we could be able to pull it off - we'd run out of ideas really fast and strain ourselves trying to make each stage different. As stated before, variant stages like this not only cut down on the workload, but also helps to connect groups of characters related to each other - the oft-mentioned Metro City example springs to mind.

Maybe in the future we could try for unique stages, but right now it's just not feasible. Just my $0.02, whatever they're worth :P
#35  April 24, 2014, 02:42:42 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Voted for unique character-specific stages, but a combined approach is what I see working best. SFA3 is the best example. In the arcade original, Karin had a night variant of Sakura's stage. Juni and Juli (and Balrog, if memory serves) use a slightly altered version of Bison's stage. Then, in subsequent revisions, Karin, Balrog, and the characters that were added in all got new stages. In SFIV, Chun-Li, Blanka, and Seth have what are their stages (China SF2, Jungle, and the lab), while the rest are pretty much shared by all. Volcanic Rim seems like an Akuma stage, but isn't really. The drive-in is pretty much shared by Ken and Rufus. Akuma and Gouken are both fought in the temple. China at night could serve as a Gen stage (see SFA2), but isn't really used as such. SSFIV added a Korea stage that, while not necessarily fitting Juri, is her native land. Metro City is represented and serves both Guy and Cody. Seth got a second stage of his own.

I'd say to strive for character-specific stages across the board eventually, but make some shared stuff where it makes sense for the time being. Ryu and Ken should have their own stages, while Yun and Yang can have variants (if not just the same stage with no changes). Final Fight guys can share a general Metro City stage. Charlie and Guile could probably share. No one should share Vega's cage or Honda's bath house. Stuff like that to lighten the load until later.
#36  April 24, 2014, 02:51:21 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'm with the each character has it's own stage group for the following reasons.

There are many more stages through SFA1-3, SF2, SF3, CVS1-2, some of the cross overs, etc than there are characters in SF so it shouldn't be difficult to find a specific stage for every character.

On the offhand chance there is not enough for a certain group then we could make edited alterations of the original stages. Like our Metro City friends. How many of them are there? Haggar, Guy, Cody, Maki, Hugo, Poison, (wait... is it just our heroes that share Metro City?)

Rolento and Sodom both have their own stages. Rolento has the skyscraper stage and Sodom has his decked out trucks.
#37  April 24, 2014, 03:01:53 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Haggar - CvS Metro City
Guy - SFA2 Guy
Cody - SFA3 jailbreak
Maki - SFA3 Guy
Hugo - either of his SF3 stages
Poison - SFA2 Birdie stage edited to Bayside as mentioned a few posts back (for the lulz)

Done.
#38  April 24, 2014, 04:04:35 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That about covers it. Even if the bathroom stage is decided for Birdie there is still another Hugo stage for Poison.

I think Train Cemetery from SFA3 would be better for Birdie so we can add Metro City edits to the bathroom stage for Poison.

I would actually prefer this stage for him though even though it was Bison's in SFA1 (night version was Sodom's)
#39  April 24, 2014, 04:27:42 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
SFA3 Birdie stage rules, and he needs it. That SFA1 stage is something I envisioned for someone else.

It's a dead ringer, I'd say. Maybe with some tweaks to make it mesh better with the SFA3 stages?

Likewise for SFA1 Chun-Li stage being used for Lee if he ever makes it in.
#40  April 24, 2014, 04:36:33 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Oh, good call. Yeah that would work well for him! I'm on board for SFA3 Birdie stage then
#41  April 24, 2014, 04:43:36 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
An edit of this stage would be perfect for the pit fighter. Add the pimps from the las vegas stage and wham.

#42  April 24, 2014, 05:18:36 pm
I've converted the majority of the stages mentioned to superjump.(Birdies Train Station, Charlie's Sfa 1 stage,  Sodom Truck stage). I could easily convert Chun-li's sfa 1 stage as well. I've done original stages for Adon, Alex,   Ken, Evil Ken, Ryu, ANY Metro City native, T-Hawk,  Dudley and Sagat. I did almost ALL the sfa3 stages and some sfa2 stages. Just tell me watchu need. I gotcha. :cool4:

[/quote said:
#43  April 25, 2014, 11:44:31 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
I'm really looking forward to this section. Because making a good Street Fighter game is what I've wished for a long time ago.
And regarding stages, I think it's very important to reconsider each option with caution, before making a final thing.

So I have some ideas. Making EACH character have their own stage will result in wayyyy to much stages I believe.
But what about Mixing older stages together, to fit? Or perhaps 2 Stages for Brazil, 2 for Thailand, 3 for Japan, 3 for U.S.A (Sorta thing). The more fighters from either country the more stages from their country??

I did some Basic Mix stages a while ago. Maybe it could be to some use or Inspiration?

Brazillian Based -

Mexican Mission -

Las Vegas -

Train Wreck -

Chinese Waters -
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#44  April 25, 2014, 02:28:42 pm

[/quote said:
#45  April 25, 2014, 02:40:25 pm
- SFer there are some nice stage ideas :D!! Now, just curious, who's the shadaloo guy in your signature?
#46  April 25, 2014, 02:42:21 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yep. Nice stages! But I have to disagree on 1 thing. There can never be too many stages =p
#47  April 25, 2014, 02:46:59 pm
Especially considering there seem to be a large number of people who have already offered to share stages they've made, and people who have offered to make new stages. All that is needed is enough material. And between the many different stages for the same characters in different games, the edits, overhauls of old stages, and a couple of variations here and there for obvious pairs, I'm pretty sure there's more than enough in store. Someone said it before, but there's actually a lot more stages than characters in SF in general, even more so for this project with all of the above, and this project isn't even anywhere close to having every single character that ever appeared in the franchise. Yet.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#48  April 25, 2014, 05:48:38 pm
Especially considering there seem to be a large number of people who have already offered to share stages they've made, and people who have offered to make new stages. All that is needed is enough material. And between the many different stages for the same characters in different games, the edits, overhauls of old stages, and a couple of variations here and there for obvious pairs, I'm pretty sure there's more than enough in store. Someone said it before, but there's actually a lot more stages than characters in SF in general, even more so for this project with all of the above, and this project isn't even anywhere close to having every single character that ever appeared in the franchise. Yet.

Exactly. Every character should get a stage. It's absolutely possible and with little effort. So many contributors and ideas. We should just decide on stages now so their respective creators can work on them and more effort can be put into spriting and coding characters and getting the screenpack conceptualized. Cuz it's obvious that's probably gonna take more effort.

...who's the shadaloo guy in your signature?

Yes. Do tell.

[/quote said:
#49  April 25, 2014, 06:10:15 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
For most stages we can use what's already been released as well. @caddie: has made the most accurate stages from the game iirc. I think all his work is open source now but we'll want to ask to be sure. When suggesting an author's work we want it to be open source. Or to be known that it'll be open source in this project. Otherwise we'll have to remake the stage.

Everything in this game is to promote fair use and sharing so we want to be sure to not step on any toes. So be careful suggesting most Stages made by Japanese creators :p
#50  April 25, 2014, 06:25:37 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Shadaloo sig guy appears to be a combination of Blade (bison troopers from the SF movie) and the awesome-looking nameless guy from the SFII animated movie.

A pretty rad design combo, really.
#51  April 25, 2014, 07:17:45 pm
For most stages we can use what's already been released as well. @caddie: has made the most accurate stages from the game iirc. I think all his work is open source now but we'll want to ask to be sure. When suggesting an author's work we want it to be open source. Or to be known that it'll be open source in this project. Otherwise we'll have to remake the stage.

Everything in this game is to promote fair use and sharing so we want to be sure to not step on any toes. So be careful suggesting most Stages made by Japanese creators :p

@Just No Point:   Oooooh k...

Then on behalf of myself...I  donate my services as a stage Creator to create new stages or update stages I've already created to help the MFG Street Fighter project.

[/quote said:
#52  April 25, 2014, 07:39:59 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
We can use the stages that have the super jump added in but I'm still on the fence about actually having moves that use the extra space. Just for the fact that you're the only person I know here doing that and if you tire of mugen for a bit or real life gets you somehow or whatever, then we'd be stuck having to try to convert stages before they could be added in. If that makes sense.

My goal is to get this rolling well enough that if anything happens to any 1 user on the project it won't fall flat on it's face.
Worst we have right now is relying on felo for all portraits and art. But that stuff could be replaced a lot easier if he vanished.
#53  April 25, 2014, 08:16:26 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
For most stages we can use what's already been released as well. @caddie: has made the most accurate stages from the game iirc. I think all his work is open source now but we'll want to ask to be sure.
Yep! I don't even ask for credit, use whatever the hell you want.
You'll be credited and you'll like it!!!
#54  April 25, 2014, 08:27:12 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Greenlit to use and abuse the hell out of Caddie :hump:
#55  April 25, 2014, 08:51:42 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
The guy from the signature is Blade from SF the Movie, with a new design.
And I'm sure you know the rest.

You can always use my stuff if you find it interessting.
And I'm glad to hear that people keep on rolling this amazing Project. I'll be keeping my eye out for this. :)

And true about so many contributers, that we can have every one have their own stage.
But in my experience I've seen it as too many stages to pick from. But it might be better this way anyhow.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
#56  April 25, 2014, 11:35:15 pm
We can use the stages that have the super jump added in but I'm still on the fence about actually having moves that use the extra space. Just for the fact that you're the only person I know here doing that and if you tire of mugen for a bit or real life gets you somehow or whatever, then we'd be stuck having to try to convert stages before they could be added in. If that makes sense.

My goal is to get this rolling well enough that if anything happens to any 1 user on the project it won't fall flat on it's face.
Worst we have right now is relying on felo for all portraits and art. But that stuff could be replaced a lot easier if he vanished.

Cool. When ever your ready....

[/quote said:
#57  April 25, 2014, 11:56:26 pm
#58  April 26, 2014, 12:16:54 am
  • Summon me and maybe I can appear.
    • Skype - https://www.twitch.tv/varo_hades
    • varohades.wixsite.com/varohadesmugen
Vote that each character should have his own stage. At this point, mugen offer that possibility. And I mention again with super jump, Vegaz_Parrelli made a lot of these stages and even Street Fighter 3 stages has super jump, the only stages that need to remake are the Street Fighter 1 stages.
Contact me if you want a color separation, or mugen stuff or if you wanna give a donation I appreciate.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=MVVTGXPXYA9NN
My channel on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/claudiohades
With the links of my chars
My site with my chars and my color separations:
https://varohades.wixsite.com/varohadesmugen
Subscribe to my Twitch and nice chars will come:
https://www.twitch.tv/varo_hadesgameplays
#59  April 26, 2014, 04:08:05 am
Vote that each character should have his own stage. At this point, mugen offer that possibility. And I mention again with super jump, Vegaz_Parrelli made a lot of these stages and even Street Fighter 3 stages has super jump, the only stages that need to remake are the Street Fighter 1 stages.

Now that's whatz up. As far as the sf1 stages...I've been scoping them out for a while now. It wouldn't be a problem at all...

[/quote said:
#60  April 26, 2014, 04:59:37 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I think the SF1 stages would need some graphical improvements to make it in. SF2 looks pretty dated but has enough to not totally throw you off if you saw it right after a SF3 stage. SF1.... uh....
#61  April 26, 2014, 05:37:08 am
I feel ya. I still may do it just cuz. But I see where you're coming from.

[/quote said:
#62  April 26, 2014, 11:15:24 am
About SF1, here are my thoughts:

- Sagat: we may be better using hims from CvS. Golden buddah, etc.
- Adon: Kinda merging his SFZ2 with SF1?
- Lee: Is Lee going to appear here?
- Gen: I don't know. Maybe SFZ3 or even SF4 fits him more. OR maybe a rooftop of his Restaurant(Udon references)
- Birdie: At some point I thought merging it with his SFZ3 could be a good point, BUT people likes his SFZ2 bathroom more.
- Eagle: It's a nice stage, but myabe the London stage from CvS could do a good paper.
- Retsu: CvS1 temple could do the cut. Anyway, is going Retsu to appear here?
- Geki: If he is going to appear, a variation of the CvS1 temple could do the cut.
- Joe: The train station could be a good stage but...we can also put him at Metro City(whatever reason)
- Mike: Mt Rushmore...Anyway, is going Mike to be here? He could be sharing stage with someone else, in case he comes.
- Ryu: he could use his SF3 stage + the sides of the SF2 stage(we just have to revamp them a bit)
- Ken: SF3: 2nd Impact all the way. Golden Gate 4TW.
#63  April 26, 2014, 11:38:01 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Don't have time to make a big reply. Over time I hope to gather money to commission Lee, Retsu, and Geki too. But that wouldn't be till after Joe is made. Might not be from Sean as he's only mentioned wanting to make Retsu.

Mike = Balrog. For simplicity let's just keep it that way. We still need a lot of characters from SF4 and SFex, so saving $$$ for Mike is redundant.
#64  April 26, 2014, 12:09:59 pm
    • Netherlands
Agreed.
#65  April 26, 2014, 12:49:13 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Okay. Got a bit more time. I went ahead and closed the poll. It had like 4 hours left anyway. I don't see that huge of an influx of users voting for the 2nd option in 4 hours :P

So let's talk stages.  Ryu to be precise
SF2 themed

Spoiler: HD remix (click to see content)

SFA2

SFA3

SF3

SF3:3rd

I couldn't find one in google for CVS. The top of that building where it's raining? Are there any other stages you guys would suggest for Ryu? MUGEN edits apply but we need to get permission if applicable.

@Caddie:
@xgargoyle:
Are all stages in a particular SF game the same width as far as fighting area? Do we need to make a standard for this game's area? I'm not a stage expert at all =p
Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:58:50 pm by Just No Point
#66  April 26, 2014, 01:37:57 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
The CvS2 rainy rooftop would be a good stage for Evil Ryu, maybe. I'd say redo the palette on his SF3:3 stage to resemble the SF2 sunset for a "best of both" approach. Arguably his best stage (SF3:3) with a color scheme resembling his most iconic (SF2). The SFA3 sky could probably be used to complete the look.
#67  April 26, 2014, 01:55:25 pm
SF3: NG floor+SF3:3rdS Castle+revamp SF2 rafters = awesomely SF2 remake without a lot f spriting.

Also, I have some ideas for Geki(as possible character).

Once finishing Viper I'm not sure if picking him, DRCammy or Juri.
#68  April 26, 2014, 01:58:42 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Looks like we'll need to get the pieces and make a few mock ups. I wonder if all these stages are converted. Hope the authors are the sharing type =p
#69  April 26, 2014, 02:05:54 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
I agree with Felo. That would be the best Idea for Ryu. I were thinking some of the same!
Now you have all convinced me! We should remix stages for each character. That would make a worthy and memoriable SF Game! Even if it's just fan made! We have the talents. We have the ideas, we have the right people to do it.

Oh, You decide to perhaps pick Geki up as a character? I'm quite interessted to hear your ideas on him. But perhaps not in the Stage Topic.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
#70  April 26, 2014, 02:17:20 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
@Just No Point: I can't tell for sure, as I haven't made a full set of stages for these games and I would require a bit of research to know the answer. Probably Caddie could provide a better answer, as he worked with these games.

From my experience, Guilty Gear uses the same width/height for all their stages, whereas Daraku Tenshi have variable widths (960, 800, 640).

In terms of gameplay, different widths on stages could be encouraged to define the kind of combat, for example grapplers would prefer a smaller stage for close quarter fights whereas acrobatic fighters such as Chun Li or Claw would prefer a wider stage.

That, or use the same width for everybody.

In any case, this matter should be decided before we attempt to create/edit any stage for the project.
#71  April 26, 2014, 02:32:39 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
sf3
http://www.freewebs.com/fr33dom87/hostedstuff.htm
http://jamugen.blog103.fc2.com/blog-category-35.html

SF3:3
http://web.archive.org/web/20080710061758/http://rufotheone.mugenfury.com/sf3.htm
http://randomselect.piiym.net/ >Dany the dog (the disclaimer on the site says you can't use anything but it's RS, some of the authors are open source like Felineki and Ash himself so we still need to approach this author by author here)

SF2
http://thundermugen.com/
http://dsarena.free.fr/ Guild database keeps saying DarkSaviour made a ton of SF2 stages. But I can't find them on the site... I'm blind. I didn't see the drop down bar

SFA2
http://ngmc.retrogames.com/stages13.html

SFA3
http://page.freett.com/r________/
http://ngmc.retrogames.com/stages13.html

In any case, this matter should be decided before we attempt to create/edit any stage for the project.
Agreed. If SF is known to have different width stages within the same game then we won't worry as much. If it's the same width per game we'll have to make a standard for this one.
We'll wait on Caddie's input. He's made several stages from SFA and SF3 games.
Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:09:40 pm by Just No Point
#72  April 26, 2014, 02:37:07 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Come to think of it. There should be links to all the SF Stages on the front page. When someone is up to go find them that is. Just thought it could come handy. Both for Stage makers, and perhaps for those who'd want to DL them. :)
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
#73  April 26, 2014, 02:38:53 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I just went to Guild's database. I think it's fine to just wait till we need them. We don't need to make a sub database =p

SNT

#74  April 26, 2014, 02:51:14 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
I'd say redo the palette on his SF3:3 stage to resemble the SF2 sunset for a "best of both" approach. Arguably his best stage (SF3:3) with a color scheme resembling his most iconic (SF2).
I took a little different approach to the sunset.
Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:59:47 pm by SNT
#75  April 26, 2014, 07:21:52 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
So speaking of stages and width, I for one would like to see all stages edited to correct the aspect ratio. If the character sprites will be width-corrected (or already use the square pixel-friendly CVS sprites), not doing the same to the stages would mean that they (aside from looking bad) would all be considerably too wide. That has pretty huge gameplay implications, giving immediate advantages to keepaway characters/playstyles, and so forth.

I don't know if there have been any discussions about resolution, and I'm also not familiar enough with MUGEN to know if/how much that will be customizable on the player's end, but I reckon creating stage graphics for even just 640x480 would make it possible to rescale them to the correct proportions without considerable drop in visual quality. You could do some touching up in problem areas etc I guess (if the scaling uses any kind of filter or resampling you'd at least have to edges of layers with transparency), but really it should only require minimal, if any, editing.

Just as a very crude proof of concept, I rescaled Ryu's SF2 stage to 640x480 proportions just using nearest neighbor scaling. Looks pretty alright to me. For comparison the pic switches between the width-corrected version and an uncorrected, uniformly scaled version. Even in a silly thrown together thing like this I think it gives a pretty clear idea not just of the visual difference (round objects are actually round, and not oval! Amazing!) but also how much the width affects the size of the playing field.
#76  April 26, 2014, 07:39:04 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yeah, I've been tinkering with that in my head as well because the characters will be the correct resolution. Stage makers, can you scale stage sprites like you do with characters?
#77  April 26, 2014, 09:42:34 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
If this is a full game, it may be better to modify mugen.cfg and localcoord, and change it to Capcom's native resolution of 384x224
#78  April 26, 2014, 09:47:14 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
But the CVS characters are not in that resolution by default like SFA characters are. Neither are CVS stages.
#79  April 26, 2014, 10:11:38 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Shouldn't Localcoord  be able to handle such differences? I haven't really experimented with that feature, but in theory the parameter should scale everything accordingly, right?

Besides, you can also scale stages with the parameters xscale and yscale
#80  April 26, 2014, 11:24:43 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Xscale seems to work just fine on them :)

#81  April 26, 2014, 11:26:42 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
Yeah, you can scale everything, but the scale of the CvS characters and the scale of the CPS stages don't match. You'd need to scale different stages and characters by different values, not to mention it complicates UI/menu stuff too. :P

If it's possible to scale stages in code I'm sure that would work just as well. I wasn't aware this was possible, because I don't think I've ever seen (or heard of) someone doing it! Either method kind of has its pros and cons... I'm not greatly concerned with how it's done, as long as there's some consistency between stages. Also, as long as I won't have to look at everything in the wrong aspect ratio ;)
#82  April 26, 2014, 11:34:52 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The xscale I posted in my example is stage specific. It's actually a really easy thing you could add to any stage you have.

Under [StageInfo] put xscale =  .8333333333

The pic I took is actually of xscale 0.8888888 because I forgot what it was for a moment but that's not important. The important thing is that it works. The one in the code above is the correct ratio. I double checked.
#83  April 27, 2014, 01:30:39 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
Ryu should stick with a sunset stage - the night time version in Champion Edition always looked to me like it was different just for the sake of looking different, and his original just looked better IMO. Subsequent ones just never felt quite as right, and end up just having to reference it in some way, but if one of those alternatives makes it, I hope they at least stick to the classic color scheme.
#84  April 27, 2014, 01:58:42 am
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
JNP: Yeah I get it.  I was just reiterating the point you made to XGargoyle, but your next post snuck in before mine and I couldn't be bothered retyping it to make more sense in context. :P

The one thing that may or may not become a little tricky is making sure anything with horizontal movement etc moves at the correct speed I guess, but still that's most likely a fairly minor concern. Less of a headache than anything involving manual editing of stage graphics, for sure.

With this feature being so simple to implement, I can't believe more people don't use it!
#85  April 27, 2014, 02:07:19 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Ah I gotcha. Character movement will be determined within the characters themselves anyway. I'll try to get fairly accurate velocities from CVS2 if I can. A fraction of a bit faster or slower shouldn't be a big deal. None of the SF games keep that stuff universal anyway.

And yeah, I never knew of anyone using it either. That's why I didn't know about it. I think it was added for 1.0 and higher so it's kind of new still. Unless there is some bug I don't know of with it I have no idea why no one uses it!
#86  April 28, 2014, 09:12:15 am
  • Summon me and maybe I can appear.
    • Skype - https://www.twitch.tv/varo_hades
    • varohades.wixsite.com/varohadesmugen
Well personally I think that could reuse the stages of Street Fighter Zero 1 for stages of Street Fighter 1. I mean some stages looks really similars example:
Sodom stage is very similar of Joe stage probably with small details but is really similar.
Akuma stage is very similar of Lee stage.

And with parts of other stages can make the stages of Street Fighter 1 example:
Ibuki stage of third strike looks very similar of Geki stage only need to add the mountain of Elena's of new generation, etc.
Contact me if you want a color separation, or mugen stuff or if you wanna give a donation I appreciate.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=MVVTGXPXYA9NN
My channel on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/claudiohades
With the links of my chars
My site with my chars and my color separations:
https://varohades.wixsite.com/varohadesmugen
Subscribe to my Twitch and nice chars will come:
https://www.twitch.tv/varo_hadesgameplays
#87  April 28, 2014, 09:43:23 am
    • Netherlands
It's not as much about the aestetics of the stages fitting as the spritestyle clashing, what concerns me ;)
COMPLETELY REDRAW ALL THE STAGES!! Nah that's whack.
Removed the stage poll because it's pretty clear what the winner was. Character-individual stages.
And I wanted to so something mod-like so removing a poll filled that need.
#88  April 28, 2014, 02:34:22 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
hum, guy, by removing the poll without letting it come to the end you prevented everyone else from seeing the voting results!!
How do we know that you are not lying now? For all we know the winner was  a stage for all and now no one can check the votation! D:
#89  April 28, 2014, 04:18:20 pm
    • Netherlands
You can judge the overall reactions by reading the thread! I dunno maybe removing the poll was a dumb idea, but that'd be fitting for me.
I'm a noobie admin, no hate!
#90  April 28, 2014, 08:48:04 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Agreed. If SF is known to have different width stages within the same game then we won't worry as much. If it's the same width per game we'll have to make a standard for this one.
We'll wait on Caddie's input. He's made several stages from SFA and SF3 games.
Oh sorry for taking so long. For CPS2, they have the same width. For the SF3 games, they have different widths.

Apparently.
#91  April 29, 2014, 04:00:08 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
So just SF3? Hmmm, what does everyone think then? I think we should keep them the same width. Otherwise each SF3 game would have it's own width, all SFA games would have the same. all CVS stage would have the same from their series, SF2, etc

It'd be simpler to set a standard and have all stages be equal. Thoughts?
#92  April 29, 2014, 05:24:19 pm
I think it depends on the stage. Is not the same fighting in a small bathroom(as Birdie SFZ2) than in the middle of the desert...Also, the stage size could be used as something strategic too. Someone big and agressive as Birdie in a small stage could be VERY dangerous to fight against D:
#93  April 29, 2014, 05:29:29 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Btw every CPS2 fighting game stage I've converted is the same width (768 pixels long). Even non Street Fighter games, but especially Street Fighter games.
#94  April 29, 2014, 06:46:45 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
To clarify yet again, when talking about "horizontal movement", I was referring to background elements still, nothing to do with characters. Especially for stuff moving in a diagonal direction or whatever, making sure the math adds up so that the element in question moves correctly (IE moving at a 45 degree angle when scale is 1 would mean the angle of the movement would change if x scale is a different value etc etc). But whatever, it was just a throwaway comment about something I'm not sure will even be a concern. Move along :P

As for stage width, I think it could depend on what the source material is. Assuming the game will mostly use existing SF game stages (or slight variations thereof), I dunno about arbitrarily changing their width; after all they were designed with a specific width in mind. Using 768px as a general guideline I think is a good idea, but I don't think it's a big deal if some stages happen to diverge from that, nor would I really want to see someone doing a hack job of extending a narrower stage "just because".
(If anyone is making/converting non-CPS2 stages to fit, just don't forget to account for the width correction ;))

On a tangentially related note, just airing a completely subjective personal opinion - I would really like to see as few 3S stages used as possible. Many of them have a real rough, painted look to them that clashes not only with the character sprites, but even more so with pretty much every other style of SF stage. NG/2I have some of the most gorgeous pixel backgrounds Capcom ever created - I would much prefer to see some of those get the spotlight in this game. Even for characters like Makoto and Remy who never had any other stages of their own, I think it would be much cooler to see them get a new stage that fits in better with the CPS-2 era Capcom aesthetic.
#95  April 29, 2014, 06:50:13 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
It's true, all the NG and SI stages have lower color counts with vibrant colors and high(ish) animation, while 3S has very high color counts, low animation, and dull colors.

I need to convert more SF3 stages. Brb
#96  April 30, 2014, 12:15:42 am
  • SNK is life
^    <3
#97  April 30, 2014, 05:16:03 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
@Caddie: I hope you don't mind me abusing your knowledge a bit here =p
I know jack about stage creation. I have a hypothetical for you.

Gen's stage from SFA3

Is it possible to add a layer that is above the shadow but below the character sprites? And is it possible to code the normal shadow into the character as well?

Basically I am wondering if in a full game environment we can reproduce the reflective surfaces on the water only while maintaining the shadow on the solid ground. I'm also presuming there would be a way to code the character's shadow so it would not appear over the water otherwise it'd still cover the reflection.

Alternatively we could just use the shadow spheres like most Capcom games do but I like MUGEN and CVS2's shadow system much better
#98  April 30, 2014, 05:35:59 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Yes! You can recreate that in a full game environment. Just off the top of my head the way I would do the stage would be through the characters. Have it in the common and program it so that one of the characters has the ground layer displayed. Then add in a reflection the normal way(or make a custom one).

For shadows you can have both a shadow and a reflection for a stage at the same time. Or if you wanna do the circular shadow that's programmed through the characters.

Edit: Also that's from SFA2.
Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:38:19 am by Caddie

JDD

#99  May 01, 2014, 03:05:44 pm
If you're looking for more people to help with stages I'd like to offer my services. I'm currently in the process of learning to create stages and have been working on a stage for Blanka (after reading through this thread I was inspired to try mixing elements from his SF2/SFA3 stages into one), here's what I've got so far (I still have to rip sprites for the animated snake and a few other bits and pieces):

#100  May 01, 2014, 03:55:47 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Hey, that goes together really well!
#101  May 01, 2014, 04:10:26 pm
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
If you're looking for more people to help with stages I'd like to offer my services. I'm currently in the process of learning to create stages and have been working on a stage for Blanka (after reading through this thread I was inspired to try mixing elements from his SF2/SFA3 stages into one), here's what I've got so far (I still have to rip sprites for the animated snake and a few other bits and pieces):

IMO, the BG sprites/components blend very well as a whole. Also, somewhat also a nice tribute to Blanka from the various games he was on.

SNT

#102  May 01, 2014, 04:40:23 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia

That's pretty good.  One thing I'd suggest, though, is to tweak the colors you've used with the three different wooden elements.  Instead of having three different shades of wooden structure, either make the hut on the right as vibrant as the bridge and the hut on the left, or make the bridge and the left hut as pale as the right hut.

JDD

#103  May 02, 2014, 12:55:46 pm
Thanks for the feedback, I made changes as suggested. Here's the final version:

and some in game screenshots:

#104  May 02, 2014, 03:15:16 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice job jed really fit well to blanka
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-

JDD

#105  May 04, 2014, 06:25:19 am
Working on a stage for Guile, here's a mockup of what I've done so far:
#106  May 04, 2014, 10:25:49 am
    • Netherlands
Looking alright, if you want to keep that guy and gal under the wing of the plane, you should probably darken them a lot (more?), since the wing'll block the sun entirely for those two.

HQ

#107  May 05, 2014, 01:31:08 pm

tried some color variations :) (there is some weird blue under the left tree where the sky is hit)

#108  May 05, 2014, 02:17:10 pm
Nice concepts. Darkening the colors worked well.

[/quote said:

SNT

#109  May 05, 2014, 03:43:33 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Spoiler: more colors, less artifacts (click to see content)
Spoiler: 64 colors (click to see content)

Throwing different skies at the castle wall until something sticks.  This one hasn't worked out too badly though.
Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:12:04 am by SNT
#110  May 05, 2014, 05:22:30 pm
Considering the awful color loss will not be seen in the stage version, it's beautiful.

SNT

#111  May 06, 2014, 12:49:56 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
The color loss was sort of intentional.  I'm playing around with a new technique for index painting, that was limiting it to 16 colors a layer.  Editing in the version without the color limit.
#112  May 07, 2014, 06:52:45 pm
I like those!! :D!!

Dunno why I forgot this

Never finished it.

And this?

Maybe combining the platform(even YES, I know is Rolento's) within the Tames Bridge for a possible Cammy/Eagle stage?
#113  May 07, 2014, 08:16:57 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
@JeDDyD: I haven't gotten around to testing your stages yet. If you have not done so will you be sure to make the versions for this game have these:

Under [StageInfo] put xscale =  .8333333333

And make sure the fighting area is 768 pixels long.

I'll add the stages to a completed stages list once I get to testing them.
#114  May 07, 2014, 11:17:43 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
also if haggar is in i was thinking that his stage could be a gym like this

and some cameo from the slam master series could be in the background like ortega and gunloc
#115  June 11, 2014, 06:57:39 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
All right guys. I'm sick of the training mode stage we have in default MUGEN.

What kind of imagery should we use for this game's training mode? Once we get that figured out I'd like to add in random things from MFG users. Like maybe some of the MSPaint Mugen users sprites. Usernames, web addresses, etc being on the wall of the training room.

@Xgargoyle: Are stages capable of having random things in them? Like on one instance it may say "Iced was here" on the wall but the next time it might be "XGargoyle was here"?
#116  June 11, 2014, 07:28:37 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
@Xgargoyle: Are stages capable of having random things in them? Like on one instance it may say "Iced was here" on the wall but the next time it might be "XGargoyle was here"?

Not possible on stages. However, as this is a full game, you can easily implement it on the character's code and use a StageVar trigger to detect the stage in Mugen 1.0. Earlier mugen versions will require using the zoffset ID workaround.

Sprites could be located on the fightfx.sff file and have them called using the F prefix on the Explod's anim parameter. This will prevent adding the stage sprites in every character.

#117  June 11, 2014, 07:33:12 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Not going to worry about older Mugen comparability. Just 1.0 and 1.1 (with the focus on 1.0)

Thanks for the info. I'll do it that way. Does anyone have suggestions for the training stage. It can be from other games as well. What all games had training stages? CVS2, SF4, CFE, MVC2, ???
#118  June 11, 2014, 08:30:16 pm
What about a revamp of the old SF1 training stage? Instead of the "yellow brothers", just random "shaolin" jumping here and there to kick their asses. Each shaolin could jump yelling: ICED!! XGargoyle!! etc etc.

OR, making something like a boxing ring in a stadium, and a screen in the background, where our names could be appearing.

#119  June 11, 2014, 08:36:01 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
What about a revamp of the old SF1 training stage? Instead of the "yellow brothers", just random "shaolin" jumping here and there to kick their asses. Each shaolin could jump yelling: ICED!! XGargoyle!! etc etc.

Lol, you could literally put us as the shaolin guys and get our asses kicked. I authorize you to do so.
#120  June 11, 2014, 09:46:30 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I was thinking the normal training stage look with names and such graffitied on the walls. Or as holograms appearing or something. Depending on the stage's theme.

But I'm open to all ideas. Can you post examples a bit of the stage and how it might work. Like when you said the monks "yell" I assume you meant that there would be a word balloon? Having BG characters yell during battle might be annoying.

Unless it's synched up with some music. Now I can only think of the first song from this soundtrack except replacing "Mortal Kombat" with  "Mugen Guild" and it saying usernames!
#121  February 27, 2015, 10:29:25 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Extremely late to the party, but here's a wip concept idea you guys might consider

Small details can be fixed later
#122  February 28, 2015, 01:07:41 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
The Bar's neon sign is reversed
#123  February 28, 2015, 01:19:25 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I know, I can fix that, what are your thoughts on the concept itself?

Think it could use spectators?

Would would it fit?
#124  February 28, 2015, 01:27:44 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
I think this is beautiful man, maybe have a fallen or shooting star. Steam coming out of the pipe on the left screen. Also, steam from the building ventilator.
#125  February 28, 2015, 02:00:33 am
Think it could use spectators?
Spectators on a random rooftop would just be weird.
The mix of the wooden... stuff on the left with the city in the background is strange, but the common coloring makes it not clash too much, so it works out, it even ends up being not as bland as a lot of similar rooftop stages.
#126  February 28, 2015, 02:34:50 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I can try to make it blend better

Thanks for the input

GLB

#127  February 28, 2015, 02:42:40 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
I really like the city, really dislike the sky though. I think it'd look better as a regular dark blue/black starry sky and maybe some dim clouds. You could always darken the other sprites to fit. Either way that's a pretty dope concept and knowing you it'll come out good.
#128  February 28, 2015, 02:49:48 am
I think it'd look better as a regular dark blue/black starry sky
Ah, that makes me think, there's no way you could see the stars in a city with buildings like that. Light pollution hides them - they'd have to be at least a lot dimmer / more scarce. Other than that, I like the color tone myself.

GLB

#129  February 28, 2015, 02:52:40 am
Yeah that's why i suggested the darkening, just a personal feeling on the wip itself. I feel like it'd look better with a darker tone. Though i totally understand him continuing in the direction he's in lol.
#130  February 28, 2015, 09:33:34 am
That's awesome, EXShadow!!! About the spectators, it would be a bit strange, so I'd say instead of "normal" people, why not Capcom Easter eggs? I can take care of that, just ell me who you want to be in.
Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:28:44 am by FeLo_Llop
#131  February 28, 2015, 11:37:08 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It looks like it'd be a Darkstalkers stage. I LOVE it!

I'm trying to think of which character from SF can use the stage, Anyone have suggestions? It's 4 AM and I'm getting ready for work so I may be too tired to think.
#132  February 28, 2015, 03:55:22 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
I think it would work well for Alex or someone from final fight
#133  February 28, 2015, 05:46:59 pm
  • Nothing lasts forever Jack
    • Argentina
    • simonrojasnoel@hotmail.com
Sodom, guy, birdie or cody. You know, maybe in a ilegal fight with some spectators
#134  February 28, 2015, 06:23:45 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
IMO: Either Alex, Cody, Guy, Sodom, Birdie, Lucia, Dean (if somebody ever gets around to making them), Maki, Balrog or Adon would work, but sans spectators, cuz it would look weird and out-of-place...
This is a generic forum signature.
#135  February 28, 2015, 07:55:44 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
The idea of Alex using this sounds interesting

That's awesome, EXShadow!!! About the spectators, it would be a bit strange, so I'd say instead of "normal" people, why not Capcom Easter eggs? I can take care of that, just ell me who you want to be in.
Thanks mayne, but I think I will leave it bare as it has been suggested

I'll post the above stated feedback changes later tonight

!E

#136  February 28, 2015, 08:13:47 pm
    • Canada
for a night theme, i thought it would be better to give it a cool feeling rather than warm.
very interesting idea btw.

GLB

#137  March 01, 2015, 01:59:55 am
That looks really good
#138  March 01, 2015, 02:54:29 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Sweet color idea E, how about this then?

or

Clouds difference
#139  March 01, 2015, 03:50:31 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
What sort of animations can you do?
Can the clouds move?

Could you make it so that the lights in some of the buildings turn on or off over time?

Make the neon sign and/or the street light flicker?

Also just to be sure did you see there is a fighting area standard?
fighting area width: 768

It looks a lot less like a DS stage with this new color scheme!
I think I prefer image 2.
#140  March 01, 2015, 03:52:36 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I can do all of those  :)

And okay
#141  March 01, 2015, 03:59:59 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
On a personal note I prefer the original BECAUSE it has a DS look to it.
If you make an alternative version with it you could have some fun.

Make shadows that run across areas of the stage.

Have lights turn blood red then maybe have blood run from the windows.

Put shadows of creatures in closer windows. Have the moon open up and be an eyeball that looks around every so often. Have paper blow across the fighting area (you could do this with the SF version too)

What can I say, I like me some Darkstalkers XD
#142  March 01, 2015, 04:15:26 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I would consider doing it, but I have this personal thing about blood and video games, and being creeped out easily, sorry mayne
#143  March 01, 2015, 04:16:53 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Hah that's cool. Make what you like. I sure don't want to turn this into a chore! :)
#144  October 09, 2015, 01:21:14 pm
[GILL]: RESURRECTION!!!

So, had something in mind for Viper's stage. I'd like a day version, and a night/rainy one, so this is a rough sketch of the rainy night version:

(of course, helicopter need to be darkened to match the stage, flames shoud be HR instead of Dahalsim's resized, floor needs to be broken and etc)

I guess this one fits Viper better than to anyone's. Maybe the day version could be for Charlie, with the helicopter going here and there(or even the F-18, what you prefer). A night without rain(and without helicopter's crash) could be done for...I don't know...the "evil" version of Charlie?a Doll? Juri? Q? Whatever. Let me know your thoughts!

Have a nice day!!

PS: Rain and background is from Jam(or Mini43, I don't remember), so credit goes to him. I don't know if this could be used in the released version, I MUST contact them for requesting permission.
Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:39:19 pm by FeLo_Llop
#145  October 09, 2015, 11:43:00 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Despite it looks great, I can't help seeing it as a copycat from Harry Ness' background:
#146  October 10, 2015, 11:17:12 pm
Oh shi....

I've never played that game. I thought something like that would look cool for her. d'Oh!

Anyway, team decides.
#147  October 11, 2015, 03:48:41 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I like that rainforest stage. really suits the style. looks really good man.