YesNoOk

entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 1347439 times)

Started by Titiln, June 18, 2011, 03:16:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread
#4181  August 08, 2017, 09:31:41 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
That's a nice start, but it needs more pouches.
#4182  August 08, 2017, 10:22:22 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Better yet, it needs more Viper Beams.
#4183  August 09, 2017, 03:17:50 am
  • I must be allergic to money cos I never have it
Shoulder pads would have been better for Brolin/Cable, even small ones. Not sure about the haircut either but the rest is cool.

Revanto ;P
3d rocks!
#4184  August 24, 2017, 06:38:58 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#4185  August 30, 2017, 12:25:55 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
looks good
#4186  September 05, 2017, 02:46:19 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Found this by accident. I thought it was another Death Battle video but turns out to be a Marvel VS DC fanfic.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#4187  September 06, 2017, 12:23:33 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Those are amazing finds.
#4188  September 06, 2017, 02:00:51 pm
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#4189  September 06, 2017, 02:56:27 pm
  • The other Indian
    • India
#4190  September 12, 2017, 01:29:52 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
So Pennywise grabbed me and dragged me to the Sewer and I survived. No I didn't need Battery Acid, just needed to Shibata him and he dropped like a ton of Bricks and ran back like a bitch.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#4191  September 14, 2017, 01:04:14 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

hell yes
#4192  September 15, 2017, 09:28:04 pm
    • USA
#4193  September 21, 2017, 02:56:28 am
    • USA
Last week we got the return of Jamie Lee Curtis to Halloween, and this week...

Linda Hamilton is returning as Sarah Connor in a new Terminator movie!!!

This new movie is the first of a planned trilogy, and will also see Arnold Schwarzenegger returning. As reported previously, James Cameron is returning in a supervisory role, and Deadpool director Tim Miller will be directing it.

From the people behind Riverdale—the greatest TV show in the history of mankind—comes a Sabrina the Teenage Witch show! Based specifically on the very awesome Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comic, which goes hard into gothic horror. Like, the witches are all literally Satanists and shit. It's fucking great, trust me. And so this show should be too!

also, the terrifying possibility that there will be a live-action Akira movie rises once more.

We must be ever vigilant, and continue to beat back this beast. Especially now! It can't take Taika Waititi, he's too good for this shit!
#4194  September 21, 2017, 04:58:04 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
#4195  September 21, 2017, 05:02:42 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
I can't imagine it will be quiet as bad as the Zack Snyder joint.

But yeah, still pretty worrying.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#4196  September 21, 2017, 05:30:14 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
If it's a full on show and not a limited series then it's too far in the other direction

There's a lot of problems with Snyder's Watchmen, but the biggest one is that the book is too dense to satisfactorily adapt in movie length

The movie had to have a 3 hour director's cut to even be passable

But if you go in the other direction where the story is slave to how many seasons they get, you're gonna start running into parts where outside material like Before Watchmen is introduced
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#4197  September 21, 2017, 11:56:57 pm
  • SNK is life
As someone originally completely oblivious to the existence of the graphic novels, the movie completely captivated me.

Later on I consumed the animated comic and realized how great the source material was, and for me it was more of what I enjoyed, but I just don't see how either thing could be considered as "bad" by that medium's standards. The Novels are superb, and the movie was effective as a movie.
#4198  September 22, 2017, 12:10:48 am
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Well see the movie isn't exactly bad, but it's remarkably bad for something that took so much of it's stuff from such a great source. What's straight from the comic isn't really handled well (part of it is the density issue Speedy described above) and what's new/changed doesn't gel well with the rest.

But I guess a lot of that is comparison stuff. If I had just seen the movie without knowledge of the original material then im sure I would have liked it more.

Or maybe not, since I did actually see the movie first and I remember not really liking it. But then again I was also a dumb kid back then, so it's hard to say.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#4199  September 22, 2017, 12:18:10 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I liked it too. Read the comic second.

Also walt, what was the twist in IT you'd mentioned? You mentioned it earlier and I've been wondering but forgetting to ask! Let me know in spoiler
#4200  September 22, 2017, 12:55:37 am
    • USA
The thing is, one of the reasons Watchmen (the comic) is so highly regarded is primarily because of its astonishing attention to detail and structure. Every single page, every single panel was exquisitely laid out and designed, for a specific purpose, all adding up into an immaculately crafted comics story (incidentally, all this great attention to detail is sometimes criticized about Watchmen, since in many respects it puts the reader at a remove from the story, and makes everything feel cold and sterile; one example is Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's Multiversity: Pax Americana, which is a great rejoinder to Watchmen). Watchmen was designed to show the full breadth of possibilities that the medium of comics was capable of, and specifically to show things that were only truly capable of being done in that medium.

... which of course means—necessarily—that it's incredibly difficult to fully translate the whole of Watchmen into another format. Even the motion comic, utilizing the exact same pages and panels, is somewhat lacking compared to the source, not through the fault of the makers of the motion comic, but simply because of the natures of the comic medium versus motion comic medium. When Watchmen was originally being considered for a film adaptation, with Terry Gilliam potentially directing (this was back in the late 80s/early 90s, when Alan Moore was still on board with the idea of turning it into a movie), Moore spoke openly that any film adaptation would need to make a great many changes to the story to make it work as a film (and I'm not just talking about cutting the Black Freighter bits and getting rid of the squid); the basic idea would be to make this live action version of Watchmen serve the same purpose as the comic version did: showing off the unique things that only the medium of films can do, and using all the tools available in filmmaking to tell an elaborate, multi-layered story that could only work in said medium.

That is, of course, not the movie we ended up getting. While it's indeed true that Zack Snyder's movie is a remarkably faithful adaptation of the comic—it lifts dialogue, story structure, and it even recreates a fair amount of panels from the comic into live action shots—it's still an inexact adaptation, simply because Watchmen the story was designed specifically for the medium of comics, and faithfully translating the work into live action results in something that is technically accurate to the source material, but is still lacking in many respects. The movie feels a lot like it's missing the forest for the trees, focusing only on trying to be as faithful to the source material as possible, while never really stopping to ask any questions about why the source material did a particular thing, or what that thing means to the overall story and how to best leverage it in the medium of film as opposed to the comic.

This new TV version, however, is apparently making several changes to better adapt it to the small screen. I'm actually kinda optimistic about its chances, if only because Damon Lindelof is behind it, and The Leftovers was just so fucking good, like seriously.