YesNoOk

SHADEs of Manhattan 3: City of Chaos - Opinions wanted (Read 64464 times)

Started by Sean Altly, November 21, 2013, 07:57:54 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Which type of fighting style/background would you like to see my new character "Elle" have? Note: This is gauge opinion and may not guarantee the final gameplay of the character.

MI6 (A) - Mix of defensive martial arts and James Bond-style gadgets/weapons
19 (35.2%)
MI6 (B) - No weapons, more elegant and complex martial arts movements (i.e. Lili, Karin, Hotaru)
24 (44.4%)
Bounty Hunter - street fighting-style attacks with non-lethal weaponry such as tasers and bean-bag guns
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: January 14, 2014, 09:46:59 pm

Re: SHADEs of Manhattan 3: City of Chaos - Opinions wanted
#21  November 22, 2013, 03:26:51 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
Will air combos remain in SHADEs 3? I haven't played SHADEs 2 in a while, so I can't really remember how useful they were, or if there were any character that made that much use of them. This talk of dodge rolls and limited air blocking does make it sound like you're aiming for a more grounded type of gameplay, but I suppose air combos could still be a thing if there was a character that could take proper advantage of them.

Looking forward to how this project turns out!
#22  November 22, 2013, 08:26:55 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
That's a good question. I still want to include the basic combo system from SHADEs 1 and 2 (they'll be slightly shorter though since it's a 4-button set-up), and I want to keep the loose cancelling system where you can could cancel most normals into specials and most specials into supers, but I'm not sure if the launchers and air combos are necessary. If I keep them, the gameplay may end up feeling just like CvTW.

Any thoughts on this? Should I keep launchers and air combos?

Also. here's a look at the new Zenith and Vesper designs, with their old sprites for comparison.

Zenith will be an edit of the Rikimaru sprites I just made for Roks. Vesper will be new, and I was aiming for a sleeker, sexier design.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:31:30 pm by Sean
#23  November 22, 2013, 08:51:31 pm
    • Argentina
I love the new design of Zenith and Vesper (she looks so sexy :sweetheart:)! And the new running system will rock!  :yippi:
#24  November 22, 2013, 10:29:39 pm
I like that new Vesper! Sleek, classy! And much more effeminate, so that's a plus. Look forward to seeing some new animations with that redesign.
#25  November 22, 2013, 10:45:13 pm
  • SNK is life
Zenith's IS a better "sprite", but I loved his MJW look a lot better. Now he looks "NOT AS BUFF" and a little bit of the MR T guy from the A Team remake :sadgoi:
#26  November 22, 2013, 11:51:33 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Looking really fresh! Both are great redesigns imo. Especially Viper, that old sprite looks crazy outdated now. Really shows your improvement over the years!
#27  November 23, 2013, 12:27:45 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Definitely a lot better
#28  November 23, 2013, 05:23:06 am
  • heheh..
Those new designs are legit! Combat system wise why not keep the options for more depth but not having lengthy balloon style juggle instead down to a few solid hits.
#29  November 23, 2013, 06:53:43 am
  • Legend now but still learning
    • USA
    • http://cvsnb.deviantart.com/
ima be legit artwork for this ;D n some music

creating concepts
#30  November 23, 2013, 09:02:59 am
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
I think the original Zenith had more character in his face, but otherwise nice improvements. :)
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#31  November 23, 2013, 09:53:35 am
Great sprites, I'm extremely excited to see the final product.

That's a good question. I still want to include the basic combo system from SHADEs 1 and 2 (they'll be slightly shorter though since it's a 4-button set-up), and I want to keep the loose cancelling system where you can could cancel most normals into specials and most specials into supers, but I'm not sure if the launchers and air combos are necessary. If I keep them, the gameplay may end up feeling just like CvTW.

Any thoughts on this? Should I keep launchers and air combos?

I agree that maybe CvTW and SHADEs will play too similar, and the game could really go without air combos due to it's nature. However, if you get rid of air combos, that means you need to adopt other tactics to create interesting combos. You might even still need to make more normals or normals with interesting properties so that there's still BnBs other than like light->heavy->special. Maybe one move has pretty good hitstun so it links into a light punch, maybe one special can actually be followed up and combo'd after, things like that, maybe incorporate target combos, etc.

I don't know how experienced you are with doing something that but it could be a great improvement for the better if you really get behind it. Would be a test.
#32  November 24, 2013, 03:38:05 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
Those redesigns are looking sharp Sean, Vesper looks way better now!
#33  November 24, 2013, 05:31:21 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
If anyone wants to tinker with Zenith's face, feel free. Faces have never been my strong suit.

Download Last Bout now!
#34  November 24, 2013, 05:36:58 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I think his face is fine, it's mostly the angle of his head which prevents you from doing anything too drastic with it.
I'm more concerned about his pecks, they seem a bit long and flat.
#35  November 26, 2013, 06:19:05 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Sean the new sprites look awesome, my suggestions are limited air blocking,  no air combos and a tag system with you have the time to implement it also would be nice.
#36  November 26, 2013, 06:24:00 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Vesper looks way better in her new sprite since last one's face looked fat.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#37  November 26, 2013, 06:27:08 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Sean the new sprites look awesome, my suggestions are limited air blocking,  no air combos and a tag system with you have the time to implement it also would be nice.

a tag system is an interesting idea. ;)

And Sean, the sprites looks really nice for me too. All my prey and luck for your project my friend. :)
#38  November 27, 2013, 02:31:45 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
The new and improved design show how far you improved from last time, Sean.
#39  November 27, 2013, 03:30:16 am
  • May as well have a bit of class.
    • USA
Like the new sprites. Vesper really needed it, to be honest.

CvTW's system really felt like Shades 2 with less waste when it came out. I'd say tone down launchers, somewhat. Something a little more akin to a 3D fighter, maybe? Instead of having air combos, it's more things along the lines of juggles? Shades had a fairly combo heavy system, and it wouldn't feel like the clash of superheroes that it is without something flashy to the system.
"I should probably call it a night. ...Sure, give me a sword and a throne and we'll make a big thing of it."
#40  November 27, 2013, 06:19:52 am
new Vesper looks great, but I prefer the old Zenith