YesNoOk

Your Least Favorite Style of Characters? (Read 9576 times)

Started by AMultiverseAuthor, June 18, 2018, 07:34:54 pm
Share this topic:
Your Least Favorite Style of Characters?
#1  June 18, 2018, 07:34:54 pm
    • USA

The type of MUGEN characters you don't use, and why?

Well for me it's...

MVC Styled Characters: The majority of MVC conversions tend to suck. Other than KONG and the EOH template, you have a shit ton of comic book characters from MMV that ultimately fail to emulate this style because of sub-par to abysmal coding that Darkflare or Arpa could elaborate on better than me. Though it's not all bad, because Infinite and Race Akira's older characters had a similar style. Those SvK edits were competently made. There's also Mouser, ShinZankuro, and Gladiacloud. I think XCB (another talent who sadly retired from MUGEN) made a few MVC conversions himself.

4 Button characters: I hate 4 button layouts in 2D fighters. Well, specifically the 2 punches and 2 kicks setup pioneered by most SNK fighters. Blazblue, UNIEL, and MVC3/Infinite are technically 3 button fighters whereas the 4th button serves as a special mechanic (Dashing for UNIEL, Drives for BB, and Launchers for MVC). I don't like the 2 punch, 2 kick setup because you can't Chain Combo. You can't go from Weak Punch to Stong Kick in one string, it's all about target combos, links, and strict timing. Chain combos are quick and easy to grasp. I much prefer 3, and 6 buttons because those go hand in hand with chain combos.

JUS Characters: Jump Ultimate Stars characters feel stiff as hell, and they're hard to control.

KOF Style: Again, because I don't like 4 button setups. And there are no chain combos. Also, KOF 94-95's gameplay did not age well because it is SO. FUCKING. STIFF. You're better off using KOF characters based on 96-XIII.

Touhou Characters: The Touhou franchise just doesn't appeal to me, save for the music. In my opinion, the characters don't look all that interesting to play in Mugen either, because it's mostly cheap screen-filling attacks. Everyone is a zoner so there's little to no variety. -Runs from the Touhou fanboy mob-
Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:38:04 pm by EndlessDream

DW

Re: Your Least Favorite Style of Characters?
#2  June 18, 2018, 07:38:51 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
#3  June 18, 2018, 07:44:30 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
Characters that use Kung Fu Man as a base. :P

lui

#4  June 18, 2018, 07:49:09 pm
    • USA
The type of MUGEN characters you don't use, and why?

Well for me it's...

MVC Styled Characters: The majority of MVC conversions tend to suck. Other than KONG and the EOH template, you have a shit ton of comic book characters from MMV that ultimately fail to emulate this style because of sub-par to abysmal coding that Darkflare or Arpa could elaborate on better than me. Though it's not all bad, because Infinite and Race Akira's older characters had a similar style. Those SvK edits were competently made. There's also Mouser, ShinZankuro, and Gladiacloud. I think XCB (another talent who sadly retired from MUGEN) made a few MVC conversions himself.

if it was maybe 2008? sure this would be true, but yeahhhhhh no, in fact the majority of "mvc" characters nowadays outnumber the crappy ass ones.

infinite, akira's and svk barely counts as vs style at all

Kong? EOH template? if this is quality to you then lol okay
#5  June 18, 2018, 07:54:23 pm
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
MvC, not for the quality of characters as mentioned in the first post, but rather that it's one of my least favourite gameplay styles.
I mean... I don't hate MvC gameplay, but I enjoy the style of other games much more.
#6  June 18, 2018, 08:07:48 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
I dont use JUS,if its made in Mikel888 way(Fuck that template),and nearly everyone on youtube does it that way,so boring,with some characters overpowering others with beam attacks,some of them are left too weak to counter it,and gameplay being boring.

DW

#7  June 18, 2018, 08:10:24 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I don't like MvC either. Though the reason is more so many people get it wrong. And even when it's done right, MvC is pretty broken outside of it's own system. Wave dashing, 8-way dash, otg pick up combos, so on and so forth. There's only a handful of styles that can compete with this style, and even then, someone like Dr. Doom or Magneto will still be OP lol. It's too broken to be enjoyed outside of it's environment.
Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:26:41 am by A$AP DW
#8  June 18, 2018, 08:10:51 pm
    • USA
    • Dumanios@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Dumanios
POTS

Alright, real talk then.

1: That style that Mugen kids use where they just load the character with assists and projectiles.

2: The FourthRhyme style of characters where they load more on memes than actual proper gameplay.

3: Anything to do with Old Daniel.

4: That generic DBZ/Naruto Mexibeam style.

Don't know how much you can call those 'styles' but they're universally bad.

5: SvK style - Infinite's old SvK stuff is loaded with weird things like Zangief dash-grab canceling and then Boryema's chars are really samey and bad.

6: MvC3 style - I only say this because a bunch of MvC3 stuff doesn't take into account that Mugen isn't 3v3 TAG so it ends up being really dumb.
#9  June 18, 2018, 08:47:06 pm
  • Go and download my improved creations!
  • I AM ZIM!
    • UK
    • https://sites.google.com/site/wlanmanslab/home
I will go for using Kung Fu Man as a base and some of the childish art characters.
#10  June 18, 2018, 09:28:31 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Oh the fucking irony.
#11  June 18, 2018, 09:46:09 pm
This is pure gold right here
#12  June 18, 2018, 10:20:03 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Anything Arc Sys, King of Fighters, Aerial Raves (Not all of MvC), dial combos, and gimmicky "minigame" characters, similar to spaceships made fighters or "accurate retro characters". I also hate grapplers.

Dunno what Kung Fu Man's style is considered, but I despise it. He doesn't even have a projectile, and only two hypers.
#13  June 18, 2018, 10:28:44 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
lmfao you’re stupid
#14  June 18, 2018, 10:35:39 pm
Anything Arc Sys, King of Fighters, Aerial Raves (Not all of MvC), dial combos, and gimmicky "minigame" characters, similar to spaceships made fighters or "accurate retro characters". I also hate grapplers.

Dunno what Kung Fu Man's style is considered, but I despise it. He doesn't even have a projectile, and only two hypers.

You're missing out ,Guilty Gear is awesome and KOF 98/2002 um and Garou mark of the wolves are some of the best fighting games ever produced.
As for Endlessdream  im not even sure he's played a real fighting game.
Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:50:11 pm by PeXXeR
#15  June 19, 2018, 12:30:05 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
MVC Styled Characters

4 Button characters

Imagine if someone wasted their time making a character with both that gameplay style and control scheme that nobody likes.  Wouldn't it just be hilarious...?
#16  June 19, 2018, 05:11:19 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
MVC Styled Characters: The majority of MVC conversions tend to suck. Other than KONG and the EOH template

:pwn:

Lawd have mercy...

Yikes, it has been a huge while since I have heard those names pop up at all in this context. I still remember their characters and how bad they were. It was the talk of the town for a while here on the forums and on YouTube.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#17  June 19, 2018, 07:08:04 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Whatever gameplay Yu-Toharu's Miku is suppose to be.
#18  June 19, 2018, 07:46:51 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#19  June 19, 2018, 10:44:05 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#20  June 19, 2018, 11:42:49 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
Can we just take a moment and realise he called mvci a 3 button fighter..?