YesNoOk

Fclass Tries It: Spriting (Read 29071 times)

Started by TheFclass97, November 11, 2016, 06:28:09 pm
Fclass Tries It: Spriting
#1  November 11, 2016, 06:28:09 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
So I'm trying something out (sorry to occupy the space where REAL artist come and sprite) and I guess I'm getting somewhere. Using resources and help/tips from a past thread I created (check in spoiler), I re-did a Peridot sprite for a (hopefully) up-coming character I'm planning on making. I'm trying to get use to shading and how lines work... So, your thoughts? Any feedback would be great (still kinda new to spriting, like 2 weeks in to this stuff, but I do wanna try to get better).

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

This sprite in particular was re-done all the way using some of HQ's original edits to my original 1st sprite. Still working on it, so idk if this would be the final sprite or whatever, but yeah.

Edit: Oh shit, forgot to add a small pic of just the sprite... Here ya go.

Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:34:41 pm by TheFclass97
Re: Fclass Tries It: Spriting
#2  November 12, 2016, 12:15:55 pm
(sorry to occupy the space where REAL artist come and sprite)
You shouldn't even worry about that, you're coming here to get more help/showcase your graphic work and that's enough. Don't feel inferior to others, we're all here to learn and have fun. :)

Here's some feedback:
- The sprite needs some cleaning here and there (you probably already know that);
- I would make her left (viewer's right) leg a bit longer than that, the thigh looks short; also the knee pad (same leg) looks bigger than the other one, I would make it smaller.
- Does the light come from above? Then the face and the feet need to be shaded.
Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:10:29 am by AlexSin
#3  November 12, 2016, 04:59:02 pm
    • Puerto Rico
You shouldn't even worry about that, you're coming here to get more help/showcase your graphic work and that's enough. Don't feel inferior to others, we're all here to learn and have fun. :)

Here's some feedback:
- The sprite needs some cleaning here and there (you probably already know that);
- I would make her left (viewer's right) leg a bit longer than that, the thigh looks short; also the knee pad (same leg) looks biger than the other one, I would make it smaller.
- Does the light come from above? Then the face and the feet need to be shaded.

My bad man...

- I do know that, but I feel like I'm not entirely sure where it needs clean-ups exactly. Some looks obvious while others... I can't seem to see with my own eyes.
- I got you on that. I'll check that out in a bit.
- Yeah... I'll try to fix that.

Thanks a lot man. Hope i can somehow make something decent here.

#4  November 12, 2016, 05:12:44 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
It's a great start man, and we have a lot of great artists that can show you some things if you're really dedicated. AlexSin pointed out the major things that stuck out and as long as you work on those things and keep them in mind, you'll go far. Don't ever think of yourself as inferior because everyone can still learn about stuff, and we just want to have fun because in the end, this is still a hobby. Shoot, you did better than me when it comes to drawing art.
#5  November 12, 2016, 05:17:15 pm
    • Puerto Rico
It's a great start man, and we have a lot of great artists that can show you some things if you're really dedicated. AlexSin pointed out the major things that stuck out and as long as you work on those things and keep them in mind, you'll go far. Don't ever think of yourself as inferior because everyone can still learn about stuff, and we just want to have fun because in the end, this is still a hobby. Shoot, you did better than me when it comes to drawing art.

I'm trying, heh. Art has always been a weak point and something I almost felt like I NEEDED to learn (especially at college). But not to make this into a sappy story, thanks man, like I said i'ma try my best and see where it goes. I'll make some adjustments in a few and post them.

lui

#6  November 13, 2016, 03:25:17 am
    • USA
that's actually a great start, there ares some rough edges here and there but you have some great potential
Fclass Tries It: Concept Art (Sprites)
#7  November 24, 2016, 04:24:37 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Thanks guys... Sadly, I haven't made much changes to the original sprite since once again I wanted to try a different approach/stance. So in a car ride, I drew some concept art. You think the stance thing I did could work as a sprite for Peridot? (the stance I used as inspiration/reference was MvC2 Jill).

#8  January 04, 2017, 08:50:39 pm
    • Puerto Rico
2nd try at doing "sprites". Not sure if i'm getting the hang of it, but I feel like it's not too bad (still wip tho). Thoughts?

#9  January 04, 2017, 09:01:22 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Looks pretty good to me. I'd say maybe make the hand a tiny bit bigger (unless that's how they are to the character, then no need).

Anti-aliasing will become second nature when you practice it. It's not as hard as it seems, and this is coming from a person who had no grasp on the concept 2 years ago. Just keep pushing them pixels!
This is a generic forum signature.
#10  January 04, 2017, 09:05:51 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Looks pretty good to me. I'd say maybe make the hand a tiny bit bigger (unless that's how they are to the character, then no need).

Anti-aliasing will become second nature when you practice it. It's not as hard as it seems, and this is coming from a person who had no grasp on the concept 2 years ago. Just keep pushing them pixels!

Yeah, she's kinda short in the show so I tried making it within a skinny and short space. My only issue right now is doing arms and hands, but thanks man. As for the anti-aliasing, I think I can still use the sources ya'll gave me previously. Do you think this is better than the 1st Peridot sprite I made? (1st post if you need tocheck) I decided giving her a less fighting like style would be a bit more fighting (at least when she doesn't have her limb enhancers on).
#11  January 04, 2017, 09:10:10 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
The inner outline of the hair (around the face) should be a lighter tone.

It stands out in stark contrast of the rest of the sprite.

The leg outline looks too dark, too, in comparison to the arms.

I'm no sprite master, but the way I usually choose outline colors is to pick the fill color, then open the color window and only adjust the "B" (brightness" by a fixed percentage.  If you use the color values of the arms/legs/hair/skin fill, and deduct 20% brightness for the outlines, you will have a more uniform look.

I think you generally want to use the same Saturation % value throughout the sprite as well.

#12  January 04, 2017, 09:15:34 pm
    • Puerto Rico
The inner outline of the hair (around the face) should be a lighter tone.

It stands out in stark contrast of the rest of the sprite.

The leg outline looks too dark, too, in comparison to the arms.

I'm no sprite master, but the way I usually choose outline colors is to pick the fill color, then open the color window and only adjust the "B" (brightness" by a fixed percentage.  If you use the color values of the arms/legs/hair/skin fill, and deduct 20% brightness for the outlines, you will have a more uniform look.

I think you generally want to use the same Saturation % value throughout the sprite as well.

Ahh, ok. Cause I was doing that, but I had 0 idea what would be the best percent. I'll try that. As for the leg outline, it's just complete black cause I didn't finish the outline... But I will, thanks.
#13  January 04, 2017, 09:23:33 pm
    • USA
Neat Drawings Dude! I ask, are you using Steven universe Model sheets as reference. if not you should. it will help very much!
#14  January 04, 2017, 09:30:37 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Neat Drawings Dude! I ask, are you using Steven universe Model sheets as reference. if not you should. it will help very much!

Yes and no. I originally tried simply using screenshots from the show (1st time, don't judge me kappa). Then I tried doing my own concept art/sketches, and it only worked coming up with how her normals look. Then I said fuck it and used more screenshot references and whatever I could get my hands on to get an idea of how she would look in pixel art (while trying to do my own thing and look up other sprites for stance ideas cause that was really what gave me the most trouble... at least for now). I don't use models sheets cause ima scrub cause I wasn't sure if it would work right. Glad you kinda like it tho (and any help would be great).
#15  January 04, 2017, 09:43:35 pm
    • Puerto Rico

I think I did a thing? Does it look better now? (color wise)
#16  January 04, 2017, 10:37:05 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Big improvement.

Ignore the legs here... I was messing around with them.  But see what I did with the mask here - I think it looks more like a mask this way.

But about the legs, the stance is so much more powerful in your sketch than in the sprite.

#17  January 04, 2017, 11:13:22 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Big improvement.

Ignore the legs here... I was messing around with them.  But see what I did with the mask here - I think it looks more like a mask this way.

But about the legs, the stance is so much more powerful in your sketch than in the sprite.

That's cause the sprite wasn't using the sketch at all (sadly). I couldn't seem to sprite my sketch, no matter how hard I try. As for the mask, her eye, eye brows, and pupil technically share the same color in thee show, so I wanna keep therm using the same color. Another thing about the sketches and her sprites is that whenever I tried to give her more of a "fighting" stance, it never fucking works out for me. Also, she's not much of a fighter without her limb enhancers (she's basically acts a bit more coward-ish, so I wanted to originally give her something that spells "try hard" in her stance). Then I gave up and tried a different stance entirely...
#18  January 06, 2017, 09:08:55 pm
    • Puerto Rico
For fuck sake, I can't even... I feel like I'm getting progressively worse. How do I get a grip on this thing?

Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:35:49 pm by TheFclass97
#19  January 07, 2017, 12:44:16 am
To be honest I think the first style you were using was the best one for this character.

Anyway, what you're doing now is trying to shade without a plan, heheh.
(If you want to shade the sprite) Always think about the light source and don't add a darker shade near the outlines like that, you're giving the sprite a lot of banding.
Between the two sprites you've just posted:
in my opinion the best one is the first one.
No shading (it isn't always necessary). I would just try to clean the lineart a bit, some things look too blocky such as the wrists and hands, try to make them rounder. A good reference for your character may be this one: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/f/f9/PeridotS.png/revision/latest?cb=20151013023740
I've noticed the hair could be fixed looking at the reference I just linked to.
In case you don't know some words...
Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:47:53 am by AlexSin
#20  January 07, 2017, 01:52:41 am
    • Puerto Rico
I had a feeling I would use that picture as a reference... Alright, i'm so sorry for sounding so annoying, I just don't wanna make another shit tier cartoon char to add to the mugen list, and for some reason I've just been SUPER focused on making a decent Peridot. Ok, I'll try the 1st style again from scratch and clean up whatever and NOT add any shading. I'll keep ya'll posted, thank you very much for the response and help once again.
#21  January 07, 2017, 02:06:37 am
You're not annoying anyone, trust me.
Well, the shading thing was just an opinion, you can put shadows on areas respecting the light source or you can do without it, it depends on the characters and on the style you want it to make.

For example, while waiting for your post, I edited your sprite following the reference and I didn't add lights and shadows, I just fixed the lines and added a bit of anti-aliasing and some sel-out.
(ignore the test thing)
You can go a totally different way and add a lot of shades (I'm not telling you to do that, I'm just saying that), thinking of the light coming from above, in front of the character, behind the character...
#22  January 19, 2017, 02:33:33 am
    • Puerto Rico
I've tried so hard, and got so far...

But in the end... did it even matter?

I still gotta understand how to AA... but I felt like trying something slightly different, and I thought it was ok...
#23  January 29, 2017, 09:19:20 pm
    • Puerto Rico
I guess I should try something different... and I did. I may or may not finish it, but I thought what i did so far was pretty cool. It's (suppose to be) Uriko from Bloody Roar. So yeah.... looks ok?

Line work (without color)

Some color added (flat) (Yeah I know, the face is pretty terrible...)

#24  February 17, 2017, 12:37:55 am
    • Puerto Rico
Fuck, I need to finish something... Hopefully I can finish this thing I started yesterday.

On the side note, how would I approach the legs?
Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:41:46 am by TheFclass97
#25  February 17, 2017, 12:51:34 am
With a hammer.

I kid.  Her?his? Stance is pretty generic . So id say have a look at any other sprite that matches near enough.  To get the over all shape.  As for anti aliasing its something that will make more sense as you practice it.  But  simply.  Use the lightest shade you can get away with. If you can replace an outline with  a lighter shade. Do it! Good luck
#26  February 17, 2017, 12:54:57 am
    • Puerto Rico
With a hammer.

I kid.  Her?his? Stance is pretty generic . So id say have a look at any other sprite that matches near enough.  To get the over all shape.  As for anti aliasing its something that will make more sense as you practice it.  But  simply.  Use the lightest shade you can get away with. If you can replace an outline with  a lighter shade. Do it! Good luck

Peridot, is her name. It's generic cause she isn't really a fighter character, but I wanted something that spells "trihard" or some shit... I decided to try using KoF 13 Yuri as reference (and it just made the most sense for her char. I'll do the anti-aliasing stuff later, but im kinda stuck on how to make the legs not look bad.

#27  February 17, 2017, 12:59:42 am
its cool ill try with you
 lemme just find a pic of her and  yuri
  edit. glad you told me it was yuri . it was beginning to bug me  that i couldnt immedietly recall where id seen the pose
#28  February 17, 2017, 01:03:07 am
    • Puerto Rico
I got you on that.

Peridot

Yuri reference (and no, I didn't trace it)

#29  February 17, 2017, 06:42:05 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Did more shit. Spoiler cause size I guess.

#30  May 11, 2017, 09:32:55 pm
    • Puerto Rico
I know I haven't posted something in a while, was doing different stuff... Anyways, here's a thing:

First time I ever animated something. I think it's ok for a start. Thoughts on it?
Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:38:52 pm by TheFclass97
#31  May 12, 2017, 12:34:48 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
I highly, highly recommend you look up reference of how punches work. Right now, it looks very wimpy and unnatural for a punch, which looks even weirder when his hand returns into head position (as in, why does it move downwards all of sudden?). Easily put, it lacks impact. Here's some reference to help you on that:

You can easily see that there's more to it than just keeping the same position while extending your arm. Turning the body around along the punch delivery not only makes it seem more dynamic and interesting, but it just feels more powerful as well. Right now, the punch you have in there would look much more interesting if it had something like that.

Also, reminder, always use reference.

Shit
#32  May 12, 2017, 01:07:38 am
    • Puerto Rico
Thanks. To be fair, the jab was made to be weak on purpose cause she's kinda wimpy. But I see what you mean, thanks. I'll try next time...
#33  June 09, 2017, 09:02:36 pm
    • Puerto Rico
It's kinda hard to tell if I'm getting better at this or not. Here's another go at spriting:

Pearl from SU

(Original Size)

(Zoom in)

Oh, and here's an old 2nd try at that Peridot jab.

#34  June 10, 2017, 05:26:49 am
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
The sprites do seem more solid
Also the jab still needs some work, for one a frame or two do away with the definition of the forearm, making it looks less like her arm is swinging and more like its stretching. Along with that the windup is weak as she leans in whilst she readies her swing. I'd have her turn her torso a bit more, to indicate she is reeling back slightly in order to swing harder
Something like this
Yours

A quick edit

Another common practice with most jabs is to have an anticipation frame, and have the actual jab 'snap' out. Take SF3 Ryu for instance. Something akin to this

I'm not a pro at animating so take everything i say with a grain of salt XD
Plus heres a site of various Pixel Art terms if your interested, including Anti Aliasing of which you attempted to apply http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

But keep at it man you are improving , good luck sincerely
#35  June 10, 2017, 05:40:26 am
    • Puerto Rico
Thanks... I can only keep trying...
#36  July 12, 2017, 04:41:16 am
    • Puerto Rico

Doing an intro...  still obvious wip...
#37  July 31, 2017, 02:53:32 am
    • Puerto Rico
I'm trying...

#38  July 31, 2017, 05:02:52 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Take 2

Better?
#39  August 01, 2017, 11:02:36 pm
  • Yare Yare Daze
Hello, I saw the sprite and I really like the character and the pose, so I decided to modify it, I hope you do not mind.

Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:05:59 pm by Seth In The Space
#40  August 01, 2017, 11:17:35 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
The fist kinda looks less like water and more like ice, but maybe that's just me.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#41  August 01, 2017, 11:39:36 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Hello, I saw the sprite and I really like the character and the pose, so I decided to modify it, I hope you do not mind.

Yooo.... that's fucking hot! Thanks for that, I might use this as reference for any future sprites. Do you have a DA or tumblr or somethin'?

#42  August 08, 2017, 06:37:21 pm
    • Puerto Rico
I gave it another go... wooo...

#43  August 08, 2017, 11:40:59 pm
  • Yare Yare Daze
mmm... Haha I had not noticed, use a bubble as a reference, maybe due to that.

Reference

Yooo.... that's fucking hot! Thanks for that, I might use this as reference for any future sprites. Do you have a DA or tumblr or somethin'?

It is good to know that you like, at the moment I have none but if I am frequent in the forum, I like your sprites and I see them quite complete, they only need attention to some details.

Note: I use translator xd

#44  August 09, 2017, 12:00:06 am
    • Puerto Rico
Jaja, it's ok dude. Thanks for the reference. I'm surprised and kinda glad you like the sprites. I've only been doing this for about a year and I sometimes can't tell if i'm improving or not... But yeah, I'll try again using the bubble sprite to see if it will help me. Thanks for viewing...
New #45  August 09, 2017, 08:19:37 am
  • Yare Yare Daze
Hi again, I really like that character too, but what gives me to think is that it has very good bone building practically it is only to define some pixels with colors and add details that maybe you do not consider at the moment, the best recommendation that you could give Is to use antialiasing techniques, and to use tones that make more contrast in the sprite, animo continues like this.

I was too pretentious, sorry about that, i hope to see more of your work in the future bye

Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:13:38 am by SethInTheSpace
#46  August 21, 2017, 02:14:20 am
    • Puerto Rico
#47  August 27, 2017, 05:26:39 am
    • Puerto Rico
#48  August 27, 2017, 06:01:09 am
  • $-$**Dreaming**$-$
    • South Korea
    • https://blog.naver.com/PostList.naver?blogId=blood72&from=postList&categoryNo=159
Wow these are pretty cool.
I like the water waifu, she reminds me of the girl with the bubble thingee in arcana hearts