YesNoOk

Conversion Coding Tutorial Contests (Read 2144 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, August 29, 2014, 11:22:25 pm
Share this topic:
Conversion Coding Tutorial Contests
#1  August 29, 2014, 11:22:25 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
This is something I've been toying around with in my head of how to implement on the site.

I was reading all the rules to CVS2 juggling and was thinking back to even some of the simple stuff I had to code. Stuff that seems wrong or causes errors in many authors works like the frikin' Hadouken. In most characters I found this either gave a debug error or didn't function properly (IE throwing another fireball as soon as your fireball connects instead of waiting for the explode from the hit to stop playing)

So it got me wondering how I could have a contest of some kind to motivate users to code simple and complex tutorials on how to implement certain things from popular games.

I would do a cash prize but at the moment I'm going through a financial issue and am working a lot of overtime again to get out of it. What might be a good way to organize something like this? You like the idea? Suggestions?
Re: Conversion Coding Tutorial Contests
#2  August 29, 2014, 11:52:51 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
mugen is all about popularity, so the first price winner gets 20 guaranteed replies on theri next release, 10 for second place, etc...

seriously, maybe a star like all the other contests ?
#3  August 30, 2014, 12:10:57 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Well, that will get me to finish up my "How to Code Capcom Without Looking Like a Helpless Dickhole" tutorial.

Also, TDS, don't listen to James Chen's explanation to the juggling system. Anyone who talks about points when they talk about a juggling system is generally wrong. Seriously, the juggling is much simpler than he makes it out to be.

DW

#4  August 30, 2014, 02:09:49 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
The thing about this though is that there's no real set method to do most things. While the end result should be correct, the method of achieving said result can vary. Thus is the way of MUGEN code. Case in point with the projectile allowance issue. Some people use the built in projectile coding that MUGEN has. While others use a Helper method for them.  PotS'(up to date chars) and JMM's use a variable to detect when and how their projectiles are restricted. While I myself diverted from that method, and use redirection for projectile restriction. It achieves the same correct result, but the method is different. Suggestions can be made for certain aspects, but I don't really think a standard or tutorial can be made with so many different options available to someone.

It really comes down to how you as an individual want to handle your code. As long as the end result is correct, the method in which you achieved it is up to you. I've seen a lot of different things handled multiple ways, though achieve the same result. It's all about the author's preference. It more boils down to feedback. Letting someone know if they did something wrong in this case.
#5  August 30, 2014, 02:30:44 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That doesn't mean a person HAS to use said tutorial though :P And as a contest certain things would be guidelines. Like not using a variable unless it really simplifies the coding a lot (not applicable to a hadouken) and I believe helpers are much more flexible for projectiles than the built in projectile coding. Or that was what I was told. If that's not true then it's another reason to have these tutorials :P

That wouldn't mean someone HAS to code this way. It'd be a sort of agreed upon method of coding in most cases.
#6  August 30, 2014, 02:33:18 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Contest
How are you going to pick a winner?
#7  August 30, 2014, 02:59:31 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I was thinking there would be a list of different mechanics, attacks, etc and we'd give each one a number system similar to how the old graphic contests worked.

Simpler things would be less points. Surprising us with something simple needing to be more complicated than 1st thought due to something source related could yield more points too.

After the deadline we compile the points, Some stuff would need community discussion but for the most part it'd be cut and dry.
An idea anyway. This is a wip