YesNoOk

How do I break through the absolute NoKO? (Read 238 times)

Started by Shadow97, February 10, 2019, 05:00:06 pm
Share this topic:
How do I break through the absolute NoKO?
#1  February 10, 2019, 05:00:06 pm
    • Ukraine
I'm creating a character that utilizes finishing moves, the point of which is to instakill the enemy (duh).
Most cheaper characters have this or that kind of life regeneration that normally prevents instakills from happening. For testing purposes, I set up this one:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

This prevents any and all instakills because it's put into a low-priority state, and as such the regeneration takes place after all the damage has been done.
This, however, I successfully circumvented by putting the victim into a custom state with these controllers:

Basically, a pause prevents the enemy's -2 state controllers from executing and the regeneration from happening for one tick, which is enough for the engine to register a KO.
But then the difficulty level went way up as I considered the possibility that the enemy might use a NoKO AssertSpecial controller. So I set up a KO prevention system like this:

Coupled with the aforementioned regeneration, this made my test victim impossible (at this point) to kill. My guess on Pause being helpless here is that while it does create one tick when the victim's health equals zero, it does not prevent the assertion of NoKO, but, on the contrary, prevents it from being deasserted. That's why I think now I have to force three conditions at the same time:
  • Victim's life is at zero
  • NoKO is not asserted
  • The game is not paused
But whenever the game is not paused, victim's life is guaranteed to be non-zero at the end of the tick.
Hey, you'd say, why not pause the game before NoKO kicks in and give yourself some movetime to drive the victim's health to zero?
Well, first, the NoKO system of the victim might be way harsher and kick in before the round even starts, and only let go when my health is zero and theirs is not.
Second, one of my finishers is a reversal that does exactly that. It does not work. The victim's -2 state seems to get triggered at least once at some point before pause is applied, where NoKO gets asserted.
A few minutes later I found out that the TargetLifeAdd in my reversal's kill state acted as a HitDef in a sense that it triggered the -2 state. I replaced it with a LifeSet in the victim's custom state and the reversal worked properly despite the NoKO. Did the same to all the finishers and it worked perfectly.
But what if we took this up to eleven and replaced the condition for NoKO with something like this?

At this point, my test subject is unkillable again and I need your help.
The point is, I need to not just make use of a weakness in NoKO coding, I need a way, if there is one, to kind of force-deassert NoKO if only for a tick, in which I'd squeeze a LifeAdd or Lifeset. I don't need my finisher to hit enemies with no hitboxes, but I want it to actually kill in case it connects, no matter what the victim does (absolute self-stating can be dealt with through a "Poison" glitch/feature, I think, but that's for another day). I'm working with Mugen 1.1.
Re: How do I break through the absolute NoKO?
#2  February 11, 2019, 07:17:17 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I dont think I've done anything like this. My original thought was "Just do more than 3 assertspecials so the first one gets pushed out" But that doesn't seem to be the case.
Reading up on AssertSpecial it seems like you may want to read up on what characters are being cheap
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/assertspecial-sctrls-169174.0.html

I think you'll just need to make a custom author name list of cheap chars.
vVv Wheat Stage Released vVv
Re: How do I break through the absolute NoKO?
#3  February 24, 2019, 08:11:33 am
    • Ukraine
Thanks Odb718, even though I'm that late, was kinda busy with stuff.

Yeah, additional AssertSpecial SCTRLs don't "push out" the already asserted flags, because not being able to assert more than three flags at the same time would've been a handicapping limitation in some cases. While I've tested the character I'm developing against a fair share of cheap characters, I haven't actually met any who'd use a KO prevention system like I've described above (they do use all kinds of regeneration though, Archimonde and God Rugal-Boss being some of the most frustrating perpetrators). I could make an author name list, right, but what do I do with it next? And I'd like to avoid character-specific (or author-specific, for that matter) coding if I could.