YesNoOk

IDIOT's guide to M.U.G.E.N.  (Read 15145 times)

Started by WobbleRabbitX, October 18, 2007, 01:39:06 pm
Share this topic:
Re: IDIOT's guide to M.U.G.E.N.
#21  November 30, 2007, 10:34:04 pm
Do your best like y'alll said music settles the soul

sometimes your emotions settle in techniques

Anger = pissed off attacks
Happy = balanced attacks
etc........

you screw up..try to correct and press on
#22  December 22, 2007, 11:12:15 am
  • Foolish, but learning.
DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP.

There's only so much a single person can do at times; hell, it's almost the POINT of this place and others like it.  Sometimes you just get stuck.
\"So you have chosen....death.\"-Saruman.
#23  December 26, 2007, 01:53:15 am
don't feel forced to code
don't start coding from the point intending to blow up the mind of people using god chars and calling it the top of creations ever, this won't help you advance any further
write notes about any idea related to your wip
enjoy practising coding like any other hobby
try to keep track of other pieces of code so you wouldn't get that much of bugs
try your possible to read good tutorials ie Sander's, and  read enough faq about a char if it's from an already existing company game
don't be hurried to release a char, try your possible to complete it, and try your possible to make it less crappy
and finally practice, because it's the key for anything
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#24  January 19, 2008, 01:59:45 pm
  • Foolish, but learning.
If you don't know whether the company who's sprites you're using has issues with fan work, ASK.

...If only so the rest of us can learn as well.
#25  January 26, 2008, 12:50:34 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
In that situation we generally wait to be shouted at.

SNK and Capcom were both asked just to shut up people who went on about it.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#26  February 02, 2008, 01:27:13 pm
  • Foolish, but learning.
Sent an E-Mail to Treasure a while back on the subject of Fan Work.

No response, though maybe I shouldn't have assumed they'd understand English.  :-\
#27  March 03, 2008, 11:15:41 am
  • Ikuze~!
    • sander71113.mgbr.net
Don't know if this has been said, but I remember someone from #MUGEN efnet telling me this when I was a n00b, When choosing which character to "MUGENIZE":

Don't make your favorite character in your first MUGEN attempt.  You'll just mess it up :P.  Work on other characters and wait until you know what you are doing. 
#28  March 03, 2008, 08:38:17 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the alternative is just end up remaking the char anyway.
#29  March 04, 2008, 03:31:57 am
  • Ikuze~!
    • sander71113.mgbr.net
Yeah... which is a pain... I remember spending more than a month per character... not to mention the updates after that...  :-X

OZ

#30  March 04, 2008, 03:37:01 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
If you are having trouble or have a question, chances are someone has been in the same situation.
9 out of 10 times your question will have already been answered in a thread, or someone has already made a youtube tutorial relating to your problem.

Don't react negatively to critisism.
ಠ_ಠ
#31  March 04, 2008, 06:56:39 am
  • Foolish, but learning.
Read the errors you get don't just ask

Assuming, of course, you're able to see the error message-Sometimes it won't display.  You might have to change how you're displaying MUGEN to make sure you 'get the message'.

Though accuracy is important, don't feel forced to be absolutely 100%, especially on your first few times creating.  That sort of accuracy isn't strictly required, and will likely give you headaches.  Save that for if you REALLY must/feel like.  Get the big things, the general stuff, sorted first.  Go for detail later.

Make sure you understand your own coding.  Sounds silly?  Don't count on it-if you end up taking a 'break', you want to make sure you can understand what you've done, and what you want/need to do when you come back.  More importantly, others may/will want to understand what you've done, to learn themselves.  Even if it's only marking out what something is, giving descriptive titles to your various states rather than just numbers....things like that.  This can also relate to the above: An error that relates to '5020, 1' doesn't tell you much.  An error relating to '5020, going up!' is more findable/informative.