YesNoOk

Kienays Stuff (Read 21739 times)

Started by Kienay, August 18, 2016, 09:02:08 am
Kienays Stuff
#1  August 18, 2016, 09:02:08 am
    • Germany
Hi, there.
Joined MFG recently to work on my spritework. Already learned a lot by checking out the theme threads. So, thanks for those. =)

Did the left one this weekend. At first, I intended to fix it. But in the end I decided to redraw it from scratch instead with some changes in style. Also tried a variation of the top (seen on the right). But I'm not too fond of it tbh.
Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome. Still some work and fixing left, though.
Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:47:58 pm by Kienay
Re: Kienays Stuff
#2  August 20, 2016, 12:47:13 am
    • Germany
Okay, finally finished the outfit. Some areas need to be fixed, but I really like the way it turned out.

Guess I'll skip the idle animation and start with the walk cycle right away. But let's take a nap before making any final decision.
Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:52:40 pm by Kienay
#3  August 20, 2016, 01:44:04 am
Stylish! Good job. :)
Maybe the yellow tones could be darkened a bit, they contrast too much with the general palette.
#4  August 20, 2016, 02:30:10 am
    • Germany
Thanks, man! =)

I do agree with you completely. The yellow actually gave me quite the headache, but I think that is the best I can come up with at the moment.
The thing is, I am working with a couple of restrictions, the palette being one. All sprites are supposed to share the same 32-color palette, limiting the colors availabe. While I'd appreciate to tweak the colors, the sprite wouldn't have turned out that good. My experience is extremely limited, especially when it comes to colors. I improved so much more in the past few weeks thanks largely to working with a small and fixed palette. I take it as a challenge and a great learning experience to stick to it.
There may be a point in the future, after finishing a couple more sprites, when I decide to loosen up on the restrictions, though.

I could try to swap the yellow with something similar, of course. May be the first thing I'll try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the input. =)
#5  August 20, 2016, 10:32:45 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
That's an interesting style/character design right there.  I hope to see more of your work. :)
This is a generic forum signature.
#6  August 21, 2016, 10:22:03 pm
    • Germany
Thank you. =)
Tried my hands at some animation but failed miserably. Guess I'll do some more stills first to get some practice.
#7  August 21, 2016, 10:32:17 pm
    • USA
what threads did u learn from Kienay
#8  August 22, 2016, 01:33:11 am
    • Germany
what threads did u learn from Kienay

Mainly these three, if I recall correctly:
[Theme Thread] Street Fighter 3/CPS3 Sprite thread
[Theme Thread] KOF XII Sprite thread
[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
Checked out some sprites and especially read through some of the feedback, which really helps to get a basic understanding.

I did look through a couple more of the theme threads (basically, all of them listed in the master list). Not every single posting, but more like the first few pages, the last few and some random ones in between.

There have been some personal threads as well. The ones that made me take a closer look are Hatters and Diepods threads. I also checked out google to get a wider look at how people handle the light source being placed straight above a sprite. Just this detail did make quite the difference.
Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:51:19 am by Kienay
#9  August 24, 2016, 06:02:54 am
    • Germany
So, I fixed some small details. Think it's finished for now. And I have been brave enough to start a second attempt at animation. Still got to decide how the animation should look like, though.
#10  August 26, 2016, 11:10:17 pm
    • Germany
Slowly getting there.
#11  August 27, 2016, 12:26:26 am
    • Argentina
    • facundo_ivan_garcia_fig@hotmail.com
good job , you should make a transition sprites to look more fluid the changes to the pose from the stand to walk, I do not know if Im explaining mysef well, I dont speak english, and I imagine that the stand will be the character breathing?

you're going to keep improving! :)
Pixel Art! http://ghoulglifer.deviantart.com/

F*ck Photobucket!
#12  August 27, 2016, 01:33:05 am
    • Germany
Thanks. ;D
And, yes, you explained it well.
Transitions are planned, but they are on the bottom of my list. I will do the animations for more important actions first.
He will indeed get a breathing animation when he stands still. But I will also do that one later.
#13  October 07, 2016, 04:22:57 pm
    • Germany
Hi, guys. Took a break for some time and enjoyed playing games in the mean time. ^^"

I'm working on a small game right now. It's for a small scale contest, so there is a deadline. Got to finish it this month. That means the sprites are quite rushed. Shading was meant to look more fancy than being correct and there are several things that'd need to be fixed. But let's put corrections aside until after the deadline.
I want to point out, that I won't actually animate these sprites for now. Because of the time limit, I will drop the gameplay completely. You will just read dialogues and get to play a short mini game. So there will only be a few different poses for two characters. Apart from that, there won't even be any idle animations.

First did these ones. Sorted in order of creation.

Later on, I decided to pixel in larger dimensions instead of scaling up the small ones. I think that goes well with my style and am very pleased with the outcome so far. Did take a look at several Persona 4 Arena sprites while working on mine. I think that did help me quite a lot to improve these.

The guy in the middle still misses his shoes. Guess I'll just throw in some half-assed shading on his bare feet to spare time, though...

Also tried my hands on an animation, but, well, it turned out really bad. Should have checked out that nice article on animation earlier. The next one will hopefully get better.
#14  October 07, 2016, 04:31:59 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
That's a pretty cool sprite style update.

Shit
#15  October 07, 2016, 04:34:49 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
There have been some personal threads as well. The ones that made me take a closer look are Hatters and Diepods threads.

I'm surprised that anything I ever did actually helped some one. o_O

That being said, the drastic changes you made are marvelous, I would main Werewolf guy if he was in a fighter, he looks so cool.
#16  October 07, 2016, 06:22:14 pm
    • Germany
@MotorRoach:
Thanks, man. I totally agree with you on that. :yaoming:

@Hatter:
I found your topic truly helpful in various aspects. Your take on different styles as well as a vast cast of different characters (especially seeing various characters in different styles) makes browsing your topic worthwhile. The most priceless point would be the detailed display of your works-in-progress, as well as all the comments by yourself and others discussing your work. Everything together makes it really easy to grasp what you are doing, how shading and composition works etc. I want to thank you for that. Yours is not the only topic of that kind, but being so active adds a whole lot more value to it.

While I'm not fully set on his fighting style, yet, that guy will most probably be a spell casting brawler. What I do know is that his animations will be more like a human than those of a beast because of story-related reasons. There won't be any claw attacks, for example.
I plan to make this into some kind of sidescrolling action rpg. The gameplay will be quite simple with a limited set of attack patterns compared to a fighting game. I guess you won't even be able to crouch.

Working on a new animation right now. It's supposed to be an akward and timid dance.

There is no timing going on, yet. I think I'll let the arms sway a bit, following the motion. Please ignore the head for now.
Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:48:13 am by Kienay
#17  October 08, 2016, 12:27:33 pm
Great spritework on these... Loving the wolf and the girl with the chinese dress :mcbuttrox: .
 I'm also liking the colors on these. :muttrox: :nuttrox:

But there is a problem...
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#18  October 08, 2016, 01:16:56 pm
    • Germany
Thank you very much! =)
Okay, the furball seems to be a favorite. A friend of mine also liked it the most. I usually hate furries and never did one before, but, well, that's what he's supposed to be and I really like the result. =) He's named "Gunther", btw.
I am also very pleased with the colors. Trying to master this palette and am getting more and more used to it.

Considering your concerns:
He just needs enough room to not restrain his package... Okay, no, that's simply exactly how his pants are designed. You described it perfectly. It's common fashion for clothes in the fantasy world I came up with. You would usually wear a belt to prevent to expose yourself, but since these specific pair of pants combine the loose top with skin-tight legs, it's okay without one for this character.
Considering the girl, I am not sure I can follow you. Do you mean the pants looked more loose on the sd version? I myself can't really tell the difference between the two. But on a side note, you are the second one pointing out that the pants look weird in that area. But while you called it loose, she identified it as a bulge... xD

Progress on the animation is doing just fine.
#19  October 08, 2016, 06:01:21 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Liked the designs and the process!!

Great spritework on these... Loving the wolf and the girl with the chinese dress :mcbuttrox: .
 I'm also liking the colors on these. :muttrox: :nuttrox:

But there is a problem...

Why a problem? Trousers like those actually exists. I'm wearing onr of them right now :D
I swear there was something cool here!!
#20  October 08, 2016, 08:03:04 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Nice concepts!
I like the 2 blue characters :)
#21  October 09, 2016, 04:06:27 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I found your topic truly helpful in various aspects. Your take on different styles as well as a vast cast of different characters (especially seeing various characters in different styles) makes browsing your topic worthwhile. The most priceless point would be the detailed display of your works-in-progress, as well as all the comments by yourself and others discussing your work. Everything together makes it really easy to grasp what you are doing, how shading and composition works etc. I want to thank you for that. Yours is not the only topic of that kind, but being so active adds a whole lot more value to it.

I had never thought of it from that perspective, I'm glad that you found my thread a worthwhile read. :)

I can't wait to see what else you do with your chars, they seem to have a lot of potential!
#22  October 10, 2016, 11:52:07 am

Considering your concerns:
He just needs enough room to not restrain his package... Okay, no, that's simply exactly how his pants are designed. You described it perfectly. It's common fashion for clothes in the fantasy world I came up with. You would usually wear a belt to prevent to expose yourself, but since these specific pair of pants combine the loose top with skin-tight legs, it's okay without one for this character.
Considering the girl, I am not sure I can follow you. Do you mean the pants looked more loose on the sd version? I myself can't really tell the difference between the two. But on a side note, you are the second one pointing out that the pants look weird in that area. But while you called it loose, she identified it as a bulge... xD

lol, the bulge is pretty accurate;  well that pelvic area on the  sprited version is very misleading on the girl, especially if you didn't mean it to be seen in that sense. I mean your HD version is okay. It might not be your intention that it came off that way though. Alot of times when I draw, things come out fine then when I look at it another day, then I am able to see things I didn't see at the time of the drawing.

If its purely design choice, then ignore my stupid ass. :mcbuttrox:

By the way are you planning on making any of these characters for Mugen? I would love to see this  "Furball" Gunther in action   :muttrox:

#23  October 10, 2016, 01:16:36 pm
    • Germany
Yeah, it was not meant this way on the girl in such an extend and I know what you are refering to. Experiencing that all the time.

Well, while I'd really like to make a fighting game with these sprites at some point (that's actually one reason I do sprites fit for fighters), that is something that would have to wait until I have finished my current project.
But I actually planned to share the sprites with the mugen community anyway. There might be some animations like blocking and crouching I'd have to add, because I won't need those, but apart from that, there should be enough for a complete mugen character. I can't tell how long the sprites will take, especially Gunther, since he's the last one to get playable, though.
#24  October 23, 2016, 05:43:14 pm
    • Germany
Didn't make much progress in the last few days. Tried out some stuff like backgrounds (still don't know about the direction) and animation. Got totally frustrated about the latter, since I totally suck. Need to practice a lot in that area. Animating is truly difficult.

That being said, I am currently workig on sprites for NPCs. Those more or less unimportant runts idling around in the background. Started with a template for a generic village girl and some variation. I also simplified the shading. And tried to shift the light source to the side to get more in line with other anime sprites. Hope this will help with taking reference from similar sprites and focusing on better animation instead of neat still ones in the long run.

While working on those minor sprites, I got in a slump and figured I need to do some concept art to boost creativity. Unfortunately, these two didn't fit what I envisioned at all. I wanted generic villagers, but, oh, well. No problem. Turned them into mayor NPCs now. Thinking a bit about how to implement them (turned out to be traveling merchants) did actually lead to filling up every single mayor plothole. Lucky!

And because I really like their design, I decided to start doing sprites already.

Hope to finish the guy tomorrow. Don't know about the girl, yet.
They are still missing some weird, big animal pulling their waggon. And said waggon. Looking forward to designing that guy. Not the waggon.
#25  October 23, 2016, 05:45:33 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
#26  October 23, 2016, 06:17:13 pm
    • Germany
Thank you very much for that link. While I initially tried to stay away from index painting, it sure seems to be very informative. The few bits I'v read so far are already adressing many of my concerns. I'll make sure to read it all later. This will most likely be a big help.
#27  October 25, 2016, 08:32:53 am
    • Germany
Ah, well, finished that dude around yesterday. Pretty satisfied with the outcome, although I am not too sure about the shading. The bottom half is still giving me quite the headache. May revise it later on after gaining some more experience. =)

Already started on his partner. Maybe I'll try some simple idle animations for them. I really need to get some practice.
#28  November 02, 2016, 05:32:13 pm
    • Germany
Some progress. Didn't do much spriting the last few days. Focused on other stuff. And I really thought I posted this already...

The guy from last time is just there to complement his partner. ;)

Also tried to draw again after some downtime. Totally messed up the first times of course. But getting the hang of it now. Also tried to incorporate some stuff I learned when doing those sprites. Especially using the eraser to a ridiculous extend. Although this piece is not finished, yet , I think it gets me to way better results. My previous drawings looked horrible compared to this. All hail the eraser!

And I obviously can't draw hands. Try to avoid them as long as possible. :yaoming:

Did another sketch. I am afraid to finish these because it holds the likely potential to mess things up like I always do.  :sweatdrop: But you gotta pull through if you want to improve, so I will try my best. Approaching things differently now. I think I will do fine with these. =)
Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:43:58 pm by Kienay
#29  November 03, 2016, 01:42:48 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I can relate. Hands are a mofo to draw.

But you have a great grip on em, I can tell (the fist in the first one looks like its about to hit me harder than Donkey Kong, lol).

Like the other sketch too, graceful and serene. :)
#30  November 03, 2016, 01:59:43 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That means you shouldn't be not drawing them. When I was making my comic I tried to make absolutely certain to place hands and bare feet in panel when I could. Practice will make you better over time. Your art is way too good for you to be fearing and holding yourself back with hands.
#31  November 03, 2016, 02:21:10 pm
    • Germany
Thank you, Hatter. =)
Sketching alone works way better now. Like, hell of a lot better than a few weeks ago. So I am confident to overcome my weakness and be able to create finished pieces that are just as nice as their respective sketches. Just need to put some more effort into practicing.

And, yeah, hands are the bane of it all. Dropped the fist, though, and went for the raised hand instead.

@Just No Point:
Yes, you are right. I did this for all too long. Started drawing about 15 years ago but shyed away from anything I had problems with after I started to get better at and getting an eye for drawing. This ended in getting me so frustrated, I refrained from drawing for a couple of years. I try to approach it the way you are discribing with your comic since a few weeks. Deliberately including stuff I can't. I also tried to do some more fullbody drawings from time to time. Did this all the time when I started back in the day, but stopped doing so as well at some point.
I agree with you. Fearing to fail right now will prevent you from getting better in the days to come. I kinda regret what I did, or not did, all these years. Well, not that big of a deal since I filled my free-time with other fun stuff to do~

But it's not just about the hands. There is a truck load of stuff I can't do and always dodged. Like muscles, or even girls. Oh, how horrible I was at drawing them. Yes, I really like the sketches I posted above. But I have to say, what makes them look so much nicer than what I was able to pull off before is greatly linked to the time I spend her on MFG. Looking at the stuff you guys do all the time as well as spending hours into doing these sprites of mine, really gave me a better understanding in some areas and also a boost in confidence. Just look at the dude- I tried my hands on some muscle definition and it turned out just fine. I can just do more sketches if these turn out bad.
#32  November 03, 2016, 02:31:56 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It's not uncommon to shy away from the tough stuff. In my comic and now while coding for MUGEN I have trained myself to not fear any challenge. The motto is to not cut corners and not deviate from the original idea/vision. For my comic I didn't have the ability to draw over half of what I wanted when I started. By the end my art had DRASTICALLY improved in all areas because I pushed myself so much. Deal with each issue as it comes up one problem at a time and figure out how to solve it.

When you succeed you'll feel much more satisfaction than you would had you just winged it. For muscles and poses you should do the posemaniac challenge each day for 5-10 minutes

http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond
#33  November 03, 2016, 02:46:20 pm
    • Germany
It takes some courage/ discipline to take that step and it's nice to hear you were able to do so. I'm still in the process of taking that step and can already see it's positive effect. Still hesitant, but getting there slowly.
It's encouraging to listen to other people talk about their experience and accomplishments.

I also want to thank you for the advice and hint to posemaniacs. I did these a while back for a few days, but stopped after a while. Like many other artists who tried it, the weird poses and ridiculous angles turned me off after a short while. But I get the concept behind that method and will try it again. It is indeed very helpful to build up your skills.
#34  November 03, 2016, 07:18:56 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
    • thanewdude07.deviantart.com/
Wow!

Really Like the style of your sprites actually.

Do you have any plans for all of these sprites ?

Looking good! keep it up!

edit:  Went back a read a bit! looking forward to your progress!

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

Check out my youtube for more fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamSpamBustah?feature=guide
Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:31:12 pm by thanewdude07
#35  November 03, 2016, 08:43:42 pm
    • Germany
Thanks, man. =D

And, yeah, there are plans, as you noticed. To be more precise- I am working on an action RPG designed like a beat 'em up. Gameplay is basically... based (my english is so limited) on Dragon's Crown. But it's less focused on said gameplay. Like in a typical JRPG, you will spend much time with story, characters and conversation. In comparison, Dragon's Crown is more focused on actual combat and basically an arcade title in that sense.

Started working on the battle system a few days ago. Since I decided to change the perspective, I need to adjust my sprites a bit. Wanted to get gameplay sorted out now so that I could make sure how to go about the graphics. It would be bad if I had to redo everything in bulk at a later point.
The bad thing- it makes work more complicated and I might get some issues with presentation later on. The good thing- I planned to share my sprites for others to use in Mugen. They will fit better with existing sprites because the feet won't be flat anymore. At first, I was going for a strictly 2D perspective like in a platformer. Think Super Mario here. Now I will go 2.5D in favor of improved gameplay. That also means I might be able to share some stages fit for Mugen some day, too. Time will tell.
#36  November 03, 2016, 09:47:14 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
Very interesting  concept! I actually I wanted to make a very similar game to the project you have in mind for us.  ;D

But I ended up settling on a traditional RPG Approach. Story Can be the Meat and bones needed in a game such as yours. Along with interesting graphics and so far your making that work very nicely. :sugoi:

It's cool your making them with mugen in mind. I hope someday we get to see these characters in action ;)

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

#37  November 09, 2016, 03:34:54 pm
    • Germany
But I ended up settling on a traditional RPG Approach.
For me, it went the opposite way. Planned to go the traditional way first. But my dream of creating a turne-based RPG will live on.  :mcry:

I went through hell for hours. I've never put that much time into a single piece, and don't intend to do this ever again, but it just didn't want to turn out the way I wanted it to. 2h alone to fix the face over and over again. It always looked good, but not like the character I was trying to draw.
So, after this ordeal, I am finally satisfied. I think it turned out really well. Didn't expect that. The stance may be a tad unbalanced. I'm not sure. I think it's fine, but I'd have to take a look at it later to make a proper judgement. The pants appear way too big compared to the old version. Guess I'll try to fix that later. On the other hand, it may look better when animated.

That being said, I think it turned out just right. I'd like to do a simple breathing animation next. Really need the practice and want to see it in motion. =)

Compared to the previous version, just to be proud of the improvement.
#38  December 15, 2016, 07:37:35 pm
    • Germany
Nothing much happened since last time. Mainly worked on gameplay and checking out other games to get some inspiration.

Changed the girl from above a while ago some more, since I came to the conclusion that her stature was messed up. Ignoring the fact that she's supposed to be scrawny just because the sprite turned out nice is a sad excuse.

Also started drawing again. Still need to work on that body, though. Apart from being unfinished, I want to change the pose and make it a full body shot, since it's meant to be character design stuff.

I am also taking part in Hoffman's Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Tribute doing Retsu. Got two different shots of the same attack. I think I'll try an inbetween of both.
#39  December 15, 2016, 07:46:22 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
If somehow possible full body please, I like the first perspective more, looks promising to make Retsu a menacing looking opponent there
#40  December 15, 2016, 07:53:49 pm
    • Germany
Thanks for the feedback. I actually  planned to do this full body, since you mentioned to do a group shot with the finished pieces. The legs are giving me a headache with his pose, though. I also like the first more, but tried to adjust to his sprite some more. But I kinda overdid it with turning his body around in the second attempt. I figure I can take the liberty to change his pose around a bit anyways since his sprite is so friggin old and stiff and definetly not one of Capcoms better ones. Guess working on the first one might wield a better result. =)
#41  December 15, 2016, 08:53:03 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Now thats inspirational. Keep up the good work and hope to see the end product. =D
#42  December 16, 2016, 03:55:36 am
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
Nothing much happened since last time. Mainly worked on gameplay and checking out other games to get some inspiration.

Mainly worked on gamplay? are you coding? Do you have a coder? I'm actually curious! good to see you back in action!

#43  December 16, 2016, 06:52:22 am
    • Germany
Hatter:
Thanks, man!
Tried to get some oomph into this one. Also looking forward to yours, in case you decide to join, too. ;D

thanewdude07:
Yes, I am coding. Using gamemaker for that. Coding is nothing special there. Still a beginner, but it's a skill you can build by merely spending time on it. I am bad at math, lose focus after a few minutes and get confused easily, but it's still fairly easy. It's not programming stuff from scratch afterall. But I stopped with the RPG thing for now to get some experience on a smaller project first. It's better to start out small. I use the same mechanics and graphics will be recycled later on, so it's not a loss at all. It's going to be a classic Beat 'em up like Final Fight or Streets of Rage. I combine some ideas from different games. I plan to do style conversions from existing sprites to get some practice and usable graphics faster. Not feeling too well since a few days, so I didnt come around to start on the sprites, yet. =/
Also found out about OpenBor a few days ago, which basically does everything I coded myself out of the box already. So it might be smart to just use that, since I am far from finished, but I don't feel to change the engine again.

Played around with the pose some more. Slowly getting there.
#44  December 16, 2016, 07:01:17 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Well you certainly nailed the OOMPH there.

And don't worry, I'll be joining the SF2 segment, hopefully with some cool DeeJay artwork to boot. = )
#45  December 17, 2016, 12:56:25 pm
    • Germany
Cool! Eager to see the result. =)

I started with a style conversion. Source is Bare Knuckle/ Streets of Rage 3. Wonder how it'll turn out in the end. I don't actually know what I am doing, yet. Hope that will change as I get more practice. After watching some of you guys spriting, trying to drop the zillions of layers I used to work with before. Just using one for the actual spritework right now. Sketches are still on seperate layers. I already like it since it's not only faster but also more comfortable to fix stuff. I had used different layers for these what-if-scenarios. But in case those never happen to be (they never did), it's just a waste of time.

Some progress. =)
Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:39:09 pm by Kienay
#46  December 23, 2016, 07:44:26 am
    • Germany

Pretty much finished that dude. Intended to work on the legs a little bit longer, but have to take a rest today due to some issues with my hand. The doc says it'll be fine by tommorrow.
Plan to proceed with attacks next. As of now, there are only two planned. A basic quick jab as well as a jumping elbow drop. Yes, that's strait out stolen from Streets of Rage. Guess I'll use Guile as a reference for the jab. Using the original sprite from SoR as a base for the elbow drop might be good enough.
#47  April 03, 2018, 03:58:25 am
    • Germany
So, back after a very long break. Didn't do anthing at all until recently.
As mentioned before, I am working on a game, but wanted to think over the intended resolution. So I tried to scale down two of my previous sprites. While especially the second one isn't really finished, I kind of like the way they turned out.

In the end, I still decided to stick to the higher res ones.

These two are what I did most recently.

The girl was just a test run. Didn't really work out the design, yet (proportions, face, hair style etc). The guy is still unfinished, but I am quite happy so far. Not sure how to go about shading for now. That's still a weak point of mine.
This time, I tried to trace scaled-down drawings for a faster workflow. Have a look at the dude, just because I'm proud of it. =D

I'll try to be more active again, so you can look forward for some more of my sprites in the future.

EDIT:

Tried some Persona 4 Arena Ultimax-like shading mixed with how I usually handle colors. Tweeked the outlines, too. Still a bit of work left, but I like it so far.
Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:07:14 am by Kienay
#48  April 11, 2018, 02:40:07 am
    • Germany

Okay, think I'm done with this one. While it'll take much more time to understand how ArcSys' shading works, it was a fun experience trying to adapt what they did on P4AU. Right now, I more or less copied most of the shading from existing sprites without having the faintest idea of how it's done.