Started by Алексей, September 01, 2014, 07:18:23 pm
Share this topic:
NZCR Custom Sprites
#1  September 01, 2014, 07:18:23 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Hey Everyone,

I realized more than once that NZC did a horrible job and giving variety to character attacks. Because of that, I have to sprite some things myself. Now, I'm not a spriter, so this is extremely difficult for me. I'm starting off with Sakura, but will be using this thread for all of my NZCR custom sprites. I'm sure there will be more in the future.

Here, we have a move from SND and the NZC-styled equivalent that I'm in the process of making. I'm looking for advice on how to sprite better and make these sprites look more natural but fit the NZC style. I'm open to criticism. It's the only way one can learn from their mistakes. :)

So here's Sakura's spin kick and Sweep

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:04:45 am by Алексей
Re: NZCR Custom Sprites
#2  September 02, 2014, 12:11:08 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Updated the Sakura sprites. I made the third sprite in the kick over, but the blur still look like crap. Not sure how you guys do this so well, lol.

#3  September 03, 2014, 10:53:28 am

I edited the head and the face (because they were too big), then I fixed a bit the shading (on her right shoe and knee). I think the blur is ok, but I edited it a little too.
#4  September 03, 2014, 11:17:29 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
really nice edit there Alex.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#5  September 03, 2014, 12:13:24 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I edited the head and the face (because they were too big), then I fixed a bit the shading (on her right shoe and knee). I think the blur is ok, but I edited it a little too.
Thanks man, that looks great. I know the head was very messed up and the blur is just eh, but I couldn't get it to look right. I see the mouth was removed too lol. There was so much behind that mouth. It's a long story XD. So, where would you say the light source is in NZC? Is it in the front of them? My main problems are with shading. The outlining isn't horrible, but shading is really where I watch my sprites fail lol.

#6  September 03, 2014, 01:19:53 pm
really nice edit there Alex.
Thanks.
Thanks man, that looks great. I know the head was very messed up and the blur is just eh, but I couldn't get it to look right. I see the mouth was removed too lol. There was so much behind that mouth. It's a long story XD. So, where would you say the light source is in NZC? Is it in the front of them? My main problems are with shading. The outlining isn't horrible, but shading is really where I watch my sprites fail lol.
The mouth is still there, it's only a grin, so it's not very evident (she shows her teeth like this smiley :veryangry:). For the shading I don't know, I followed the sprite sample you put there. It seems it's from above but then it looks like the light comes from the left...
#7  September 03, 2014, 01:31:10 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
The mouth is still there, it's only a grin, so it's not very evident (she shows her teeth like this smiley :veryangry:). For the shading I don't know, I followed the sprite sample you put there. It seems it's from above but then it looks like the light comes from the left...
Ah, I had to really zoom in to see it. I see what was done there now. You removed the "border" or visible lips around the mouth, so the white blends in a bit too much. I think I'll leave it as you have it though because the head really does look a whole lot better. Yeah, the lighting I was trying to figure out yesterday. Just looking at the standing sprite it's all over the place. You've got light in the front, but not so much as to cause pillow-shading. The hand is lit up as if there's light coming from the right, but the legs and left side is also lit up, a lot more. It's a mystery lol. I have another move that I'm working on that I'll post soon. I just want to finish up the last sprite in the move first.

#8  September 04, 2014, 02:05:10 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I've updated the image with some new sprites: Sakura's Sweep.

#9  September 09, 2014, 03:25:16 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Sakura's new move, Stun Punch:

Thoughts?

#10  September 09, 2014, 06:42:07 pm
#11  September 10, 2014, 12:58:16 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
For the sweep you should edit those pixel close to the mouth (the dark skin colour) out.
Also, you just need to call me G.o.D. . :P

In the second frame the left arm (our right) is stick-like and the torso is a bit too long (try to reduce it by one or two pixels). And I think the last frame should have the pointy hair and a bit of the headband should be seen
For the rest, I think it's ok.
Haha, okay. I changed it to G.o.D. :) For the sweep, you mean the last frame's mouth, right? That's kind of what NZC style does for some reason with these sprites. I guess it feels the need to emphasize the lips, lol.

I've made some adjustments to the arm, but maybe the perspective is confusing things. Basically, the lower arm is the wrist and the upper is the shoulder. For the right arm (our left), the top is the forearm and the bottom, the bicep and shoulder. I'll post the updates soon though.

#12  September 10, 2014, 05:10:38 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Here are the fixed sprites:

I removed the dark pixels from the top of Sakura's mouth in the last frame and a lot more edits to the Stun Punch. I also shortened her arm and made it thicker as well as cut her torso down by two pixels.

#13  October 14, 2014, 12:08:21 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
This has been my latest spriting endeavor:

It's that move where Kakashi pulls you underground from Clash of Ninja.

Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:34:26 am by Алексей
#14  October 14, 2014, 06:26:34 pm
Should he touch the ground with his hand? Sorry, I haven't played that game, I should check it.
#15  October 14, 2014, 06:30:11 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
It's okay to ask. To be honest, I couldn't find footage of the move on Youtube that was really useful. I have the game and emulated it and took screenshots with Animget. Actually, the fourth frame (where his hand is close to the ground), doesn't exist in the real game. He just kind of stops before there and a huge poof goes over him. The way I have it implemented in NZCR, the poof is on the third frame and the fourth might be visible by a bit.

I added the fourth frame due to some feedback (some dude telling me I can't animate and know nothing about it XD) on a different forum.

#16  October 16, 2014, 12:15:36 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Here's my first completely custom move for Kakashi. It's not based off of anything really, but took a few days to make. I really like how it came out:

#17  October 18, 2014, 07:16:10 pm
Try aligning it with his right foot instead of his left.