YesNoOk

Fighting Game Character Designs (Read 11565 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, April 14, 2013, 02:39:38 pm
Share this topic:
Fighting Game Character Designs
#1  April 14, 2013, 02:39:38 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
In another thread, someone called Ash from KOF one of the worst five designed fighting game characters ever. This brought me to the question..who would the other 4 be..and what makes Ash so bad?

Thought a thread where you list your 1-3 most liked and least liked fighting game characters due to their designs and also describe why they are great or bad designs in your opinion.

Please don't just list names.

Personally i wouldn't count Ash to the worst character designs ever after thinking about it for more than a second..i think his flamboyant character and look made him somewhat similar to those wrestlers who play the arrogant/evil/asshole guys also known as heels. But a heel is worth nothing if he is boring and won't get any "reaction" by the fans, be it the live audience or the folks sitting at home on their couch ..

Ash Crimson however got countless discussions dedicated to him and how his look sucks, how gay it looks etc. In other words, he got popular through being a design many people disliked, the character sparked "heat" and that was better than another Kyo, K' or Ryu type character for KOF in the long run i believe. I must admit i played mostly with the oldschool Fatal Fury characters in all KOF games anyway and never got into Kyo, Iori etc.

Re: Fighting Game Character Designs
#2  April 14, 2013, 02:47:00 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
I think all the talk about Ash being a terrible design really just comes from peoples dislike against the character and "prettyboy" characters in general.

Ash is a good design IMO. Simple, clean, fitting of his personality and fairly distinctive.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#3  April 14, 2013, 03:15:54 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Worst? there's way too many to mention but amongst them are: Most of the new characters from MK 5-7 (Kenshi, Nitara and Frost are alright though) ESPECIALLY Hsu Hao, Jin Fuha, Rufus, Momoko, Malin, Lien Neville, Nagase, Jivatma, Ninon and Mignon, Taokaka, Litchi, and I could go on and on..
#4  April 14, 2013, 03:29:04 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

I never liked Ash either, mostly becuase I wasn't raised in Japan and the whole 'overly flamboyant men are awesome' concept is kinda hard to swallow, but I wouldn't put him anywhere close to the worst 5 characters.

The only characters I find truly awful and irrationally hate-able are Alisa, Choi, Chang, Crimson Viper and Kang (ROTD).
#5  April 14, 2013, 03:31:27 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Worst? there's way too many to mention but amongst them are: Most of the new characters from MK 5-7 (Kenshi, Nitara and Frost are alright though) ESPECIALLY Hsu Hao, Jin Fuha, Rufus, Momoko, Malin, Lien Neville, Nagase, Jivatma, Ninon and Mignon, Taokaka, Litchi, and I could go on and on..

Why Taokaka and Litchi? Those two seem to be fan favourite BlazBlue characters in general
#6  April 14, 2013, 03:33:14 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#7  April 14, 2013, 03:33:54 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
english taokaka has a voice byte of her saying 'don't want'

for fuck's sake
#8  April 14, 2013, 03:41:02 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Yeah, Blazblue designs are pretty damn bad.

#9  April 14, 2013, 03:59:51 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Shion from KOF. I used to think Shion was the sexiest little asian girl in KOF until i found out it was a dude."WTF SNK, WTF".
Not counting Tao and Litchi.
#10  April 14, 2013, 04:23:14 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
That's your fault for being a pervert who masturbates to pixels.

Yeah, Blazblue designs are pretty damn bad.
I don't know, Hakumen is a pretty cool design, the rest are pretty average (Not bad but not fantastic)
#11  April 14, 2013, 04:29:23 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
#12  April 14, 2013, 04:40:21 pm
    • USA
    • xjiggler@yahoo.com
#13  April 14, 2013, 04:50:16 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
he looks fitting in a game that took so much inspiration out of fists of the north star.
#14  April 14, 2013, 04:52:11 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
#15  April 14, 2013, 04:52:28 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
yeah i don't see what's really wrong with him to the point where you're like 'OH GOD GLAD HE'S GONE CHRIST'

maybe he's TOO interesting for street fighter lol

and he does remind me a bit of the harn brothers, speaking of hnk

edit: which in turn are pretty much those guys
#16  April 14, 2013, 05:41:26 pm
I never liked Ash either, mostly becuase I wasn't raised in Japan and the whole 'overly flamboyant men are awesome' concept is kinda hard to swallow
You realize he's hated over there too, why do you think he got erased from existence
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#17  April 14, 2013, 06:29:52 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Story reasons maybe.

too me, Lars' goony ass Super Saiyan haircut and overblown lion motif, that fucking near-tranny Amane, Stryker's dumb spandex SWAT bodysuit in MK Armageddon, Cheng Sinzan, Bao, Mignon who WON'T FUCKING SHUT UP and I just don't like that Marionette thing from Vampire Savior.

I liked Necro from SF3 though.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#18  April 14, 2013, 06:31:42 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I liked Necro too, but always thought he and Twelve as well as Q would more fit into a Darkstalkers game.
#19  April 14, 2013, 06:31:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#20  April 14, 2013, 06:33:20 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:18:00 am by C.A.N
#21  April 14, 2013, 06:33:56 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
i think magaki was more intended to be 'disgusting', dunno where i read that but his stance kinda shows that off
#22  April 14, 2013, 06:34:53 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I liked Necro too, but always thought he and Twelve as well as Q would more fit into a Darkstalkers game.

They kind of would actually, along with the VS series games.

Sean was fine til they went ad made him Black Dan.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#23  April 14, 2013, 06:36:53 pm
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada
I really liked Q in SF as being big and powerful, but more likely an enigma to the series.
#24  April 14, 2013, 06:37:35 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
i think magaki was more intended to be 'disgusting', dunno where i read that but his stance kinda shows that off
Quoth the SNK Wiki:
He is meant to be a non-redeemable and hated character.
It fits pretty well if you ask me. He does nothing but taunt you and shows no sympathetic qualities whatsoever aside from having an awesome theme.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#25  April 14, 2013, 06:37:49 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I never liked Ash either, mostly becuase I wasn't raised in Japan and the whole 'overly flamboyant men are awesome' concept is kinda hard to swallow
You realize he's hated over there too, why do you think he got erased from existence

As a design it was a success, I remember reading that they purposefully made him to be hated.

heh..that would back up my "heel" theory :-)
#26  April 14, 2013, 06:50:42 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
I just don't like that Marionette thing from Vampire Savior.
Eh, I didn't think too much of it either but I didn't care on my part considering she's not actually a playable character. Morrigan and Felicia's designs on the other hand I really can't fucking stand.

Other designs I find terribly awful are Kinta Kokuin, ROTD's Kang, Mignon who is like a more annoying Athena, and Bridget.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#27  April 14, 2013, 06:52:59 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
i find both athena and mignon to be terrible characters but mignon is far far farrrrr worse and all she does is make me hungry for steak thanks to her name
#28  April 14, 2013, 06:57:00 pm
  • For honor!
I find the young cutesy girl designs in general to be terrible. I view them all to be the fighting game versions of Kelly Kelly.

And then there's Mai....
Iroha stripped for me
#29  April 14, 2013, 07:05:35 pm
As a design it was a success, I remember reading that they purposefully made him to be hated.
The point is that Paul's reason for not liking him is not that he wasn't raised in Japan with the "overly flamboyant men" concept, because they don't like him in Japan either.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#30  April 14, 2013, 07:24:49 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I like scary deep voiced bad guys with annoying mixups and pretty girls that show their belly buttons and spam ranged attacks.
#31  April 14, 2013, 07:34:00 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
Everyone here keeps posting their least favorite designs and never their favorites to display the contrast in their tastes.

Stand back, niggas.

Spoiler: Top 3 favorites (click to see content)

Spoiler: Top 3 least favorites (click to see content)
Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:37:35 pm by Nega-Dad
#32  April 14, 2013, 07:47:55 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
I just kinda have a hard time choosing only 3 favorites.

#33  April 15, 2013, 03:21:33 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
albiole lin and janis

i think that might've been them and it took about 3 seconds to think of strangely enough

need to get myself in the game in a bit because i haven't properly contributed to this topic which i have a lot to say on. after i saw a friend's gameplay video of kof:mira and saw lien neville's intro where the camera is pretty much literally shoved in her chest i suddenly got really cynical again
#34  April 15, 2013, 05:37:38 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Guess I list reasons for stuff I like. If I muster up reasons for what I hate I might add it in later but for now:

Nereid (Zero Divide):
Admittedly, the storyline of Zero Divide can be summed up with " computer programs kick the shit out of each other in cyberspace for various reasons", but some of the character designs are pretty creative. Sure you have generic stuff like "ninja robot" and "cat girl robot" (not even joking about that) but then you have designs like this fellow who head looks like a pink Xenomorph, with drills coming out of his back (and one in his chest) who looks just so off putting with the other more traditional designs in the game (it's explained in the manual that he's meant to be a computer virus of some sort while the others are just offensive programs).

Shion (Battle Monsters):
No real reason, I just always thought it was cool that he's just pretty much a regular human that's good with a sword in a fighting game featuring stuff like a Wraith, a Cyclops, and a Frankenstein Monster.

Roche (Daraku Tenshi):
As we all know Daraku was pretty much incomplete when they rushed it to arcades, but digging around the net shows that it would have had a fully fleshed out story with chapters, pre/post battle dialogue, etc. Based off of Roche's design you might be expecting a generic street punk. But instead, he spends matches flailing his arms and legs about mumbling while tearing his opponent apart. Besides that there's nothing much since all his dialogue in the win quotes is just ".............", the minimalist personality might just be due to the game being incomplete as said.
Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:40:48 am by Roman55
#35  April 15, 2013, 05:45:41 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Imma rip off Shwa and do the Top 3 and Bottom 3 as well:

Spoiler: TOP 3 (you'll probably guess a lot of these) (click to see content)

Spoiler: Worst 3 (click to see content)
#36  April 15, 2013, 06:53:33 am
I've never had any absolute least favourites, because with character designs I tend to let it slide. But I've decided on some mainly from Soul Calibur, in no particular order.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

@Melv
You can't forget B. Jenet. She pushes up her hush puppies up at ya when says "Biyuutifuuruu BIKuTARIIIIII!"
At least she keeps you at arms' length, but that is never enough with her, is it?
Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:58:09 am by FeckFace
#37  April 15, 2013, 01:40:18 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
Spoiler: TOP 3 (you'll probably guess a lot of these) (click to see content)
While MKV itself is bad, I do like the character animation, music, voicework, and general designs. I wish I had access to Otto and Virginia's sprites, really. I mean, the game can be salvaged, no?
Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:42:25 pm by Nega-Dad
#38  April 15, 2013, 01:43:17 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Alrighty, favorites.

-Q from street fighter 3. Takes a very basic design archetype and with little things like the mask and his posture makes seem fairly fresh and interesting.

-Seth from kof. Simplicity at it's finest. Seriously, not an inch of wasted canvass when designing this guy. Some have called a him a bit "boring", but I think the excellent coloring like the white hair and the purple tie and then his personality he kinda get's over that.

-Venom from guilty gear. Give or take a few leather straps, Venom is one of the few Arcsys characters that has a great deal of imagination behind him and was actually made with some restraint. Being a pretty man who fights with a pool cue also helps.

Generally speaking I think KOF main series is full of great designs and various other old fighters like last blade are very good too. Special mention to Jewpuncher.

GOH

#39  April 15, 2013, 02:03:00 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
I like Seth as well. He's the Dave Chappelle of KOF.
#40  April 15, 2013, 09:39:24 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
While MKV itself is bad, I do like the character animation, music, voicework, and general designs. I wish I had access to Otto and Virginia's sprites, really. I mean, the game can be salvaged, no?
What makes it hard is that the game rendered its sprites as JPEGs, so even if you did rip them all, you'd still have to deal with all of the compression artifacts. The game handled palettes by hard-coding them into the sprites, which is both sad and hilarious.

So really you're probably just better off redrawing them.
#41  April 15, 2013, 11:20:34 pm
    • Mexico
The worst designs for me have to be Lilith, Remy, Victor (though I will admit he is saved by his animations and moveset), Alex (Tekken), Sub-Zero in MK3, some of the Melty Blood characters, Magaki, Shion, Non-mustache Zero, Joe Kusangi (and pretty much everyone else from AODK -Fuuma), Brocken, Son Gokuu, and some from Bloody Roar whose names I can't seem to remember.
#42  April 16, 2013, 03:42:50 pm
  • SNK is life
HATE LOLI TYPES [/end]

Bea

#43  April 16, 2013, 04:31:41 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#44  April 18, 2013, 03:49:39 am
i hate you two!

all ninjas in mk series come on color coded ninjas? igniz,mustacheless zero,orochi and saiki (he dress and acts like ash)  i hate designs of snk bosses except for mukai and magaki.
Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:57:00 am by 地獄の花
#45  April 18, 2013, 03:53:23 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
feel free to hate me next cuz i'm with them

the only 'loli type' that's actually a good design is wu-ling from rabbit
#46  April 18, 2013, 04:06:03 am
    • USA
I love Saiki, but that has to do with the fact that I like really stylishly designed villains in general.  Also I can say with full confidence in my heterosexuality that Saiki is the most attractive man in all of KOF, and if you disagree I will headbutt you.
#47  April 18, 2013, 04:07:53 am
i disagree his a copy paste of ash, come at me bro!! ps. shion is the most attractive man in kof.
#48  April 18, 2013, 04:08:22 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Also I can say with full confidence in my heterosexuality that Saiki is the most attractive man in all of KOF, and if you disagree I will headbutt you.
Nope! It's Ramon.
#49  April 18, 2013, 04:10:22 am
    • USA
Shion has disgusting whore makeup and badly done braids.  Saiki doesn't need any of that shit.  Ramon on the other hand is missing an eye.  You guys lose, go home.
#50  April 18, 2013, 04:24:07 am
Well, I wouldn't know much about Nakoruru or Talim's story, but I can mind their nature loving enough to like their style.
They're not hurting anyone with their attitudes, I THINK. Then again, even if you see or hear them once, they feel like a bunch of Mary Sue's.
One's supposedly immortal, and the other one never shuts up about the wind.

Now how about them Big Booty Bitches?
---------------------

Saiki may be good for those who dig the bad boys in Jojo.
Ramon is good for those that appreciate hunky shorties.
Shion is a woman retconned to some deceptive ass manhood.
#51  April 18, 2013, 04:34:40 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
I can´t say who´s the handsomest man but Ramon is easily the handsomest mexican wrestler, that´s for damn sure.
Chilling
#52  April 18, 2013, 04:40:01 am
    • Mexico
#53  April 18, 2013, 04:40:15 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Ramon on the other hand is missing an eye.
It makes him exotic! Plus you just know he's got a sexy accent or something. I have determined this with science.
#54  April 18, 2013, 04:49:43 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Ramon has TEYYY-KIII-LAAA, missing eye or not.
#55  April 18, 2013, 06:44:58 am
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
HATE SHOTA TYPES [/end]

Fixed.

Well... as for me... I exclude here characters that are dressed according to their fighting style, since they're meant to represent their fighting style.

As for the characters I love/hate design wise...

Spoiler: FUCK YES! (click to see content)

Spoiler: FUCK NO! (click to see content)

PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
#56  April 18, 2013, 07:20:47 am
I like cool looking dudes, well-dressed characters and intimidating villains who mock his enemy. But I don't like fanservicey female characters (with possibly a few exceptions.)
#57  June 13, 2013, 01:12:25 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Best designs: SSBM Mario, Pac-Man(SFxT), and Frank West(UMVC3) Worst: Taokata, Pit(SSBB), and every samauri/swordsman in fighting game history.

Posted: June 13, 2013, 01:16:05 am
HATE LOLI TYPES [/end]

WHOO YEAH, SCREW EFZ. C:
I also hate obsene dressed women
My mom saw me fighting Felica.....

#58  June 13, 2013, 11:07:18 am
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Shion has disgusting whore makeup and badly done braids.  Saiki doesn't need any of that shit.  Ramon on the other hand is missing an eye.  You guys lose, go home.

whats with all these girly bosses in recent KOF games?
#59  June 13, 2013, 02:57:36 pm
I always thought Urien from 3rd strike was pretty cool, and my least favorite design from street fighter 4 was Rufus.