YesNoOk

What's with all the articles getting deleted from the MUGEN Wiki? (Read 15264 times)

Started by Abonobo, February 14, 2018, 05:23:20 am
Share this topic:
What's with all the articles getting deleted from the MUGEN Wiki?
#1  February 14, 2018, 05:23:20 am
    • USA
I've been noticing this is happening a lot.  The MUGEN Wiki used to be full of informative articles on characters and their movesets.  Now, for whatever reason, a lot of that has gone away.  Sometimes pages have been stripped of most of their content, but many others are gone entirely.

Has anyone else noticed this?  If so, any idea why it's happening?  Does an alternate site exist for good character guides?
Re: What's with all the articles getting deleted from the MUGEN Wiki?
#2  February 15, 2018, 12:30:43 am
  • Sunrise Shimmy
    • Mexico
    • Skype - Shimmering Brony
    • sites.google.com/view/shim-m-u-g-e-n/home
Oh dear, another guy who didn't read the wiki's rules to understand why.
Nep-Nep-Nep! Nep-Nep-Nep-Nep-Nep-Neeeeep!

Support me on PayPal!
#3  February 15, 2018, 12:51:18 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
What a wonderfully helpful response.

Saying that the MUGEN Database used to be full of informative articles is, quite frankly, a load of nonsense, since most were heavily opinionated, poorly written, and often failed to tell the reader anything important; this is why a lot of articles have mysteriously disappeared, as their sub-optimal quality fell short of the wiki's current standards to the point where they'd have to be completely rewritten, which nobody was going to do. You may then ask, "why not just leave them there?", though the simple answer is that the majority's view of the wiki is that it's a piece of hot garbage due to what I said above, so if those articles weren't there, the reader has a better chance of finding a good article.

It's worth remembering that the Database is, first a foremost, a wiki, so if the information present on an article is a load of old tosh, then what's the point?

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#4  February 15, 2018, 01:20:07 am
    • USA
Plasmoid, I thank you for a more helpful response.

I admit, I'm guilty of assuming that in-depth=informative.  I have never edited the MUGEN wiki, so I have no idea what its rules are, but as I'm familiar with wikis in general, and their inherently lax standards that tend to lead to problems, I should have recognized that wasn't very good judgment of me.

But to answer your question, the point for me is that not every character comes with instructions how to play them.  If they're made by good creators, they usually do, but some don't.  Then add to that that some characters are made in Japanese.  I actually know Japanese well enough that I'm able to piece together "How to play" guides sometimes, but then there are cases wherein a Japanese file's text turns into gibberish.  I'm still not sure what causes it, as other pages and files in Japanese render display just fine in the same browsers/programs.  Thus, I place value on having these instructions elsewhere.  Might they be terrible?  Of course.  But at least when I have terrible instructions on how to play a character, I can test them out to determine if they're bogus or not.  I can't do so much with no instructions at all.
#5  February 15, 2018, 01:26:45 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
The gibberish comes from how the text file was encoded. If you have something like Notepad++ or Fighter Factory 3, you can open the text file up and change the program's encoding to SHIFT_JIS to view it correctly (Notepad++ tends to do this automatically).

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#6  February 15, 2018, 04:52:44 am
    • USA
Thanks for that tip.  I actually might have Notepad++, so I'll search my computer.  If not, I'll search online.

Even so, I have some characters in MUGEN without a guide, in any language.  Finding a guide elsewhere on how to play them would be nice.
#7  February 16, 2018, 03:10:47 am
Opening up the .cmd file in Notepad should shed some light on this for you.