YesNoOk

MUGEN 1.1 seems to be running too slow (Read 49825 times)

Started by Susanoo-no-Mikoto, March 31, 2018, 02:15:19 pm
Share this topic:
MUGEN 1.1 seems to be running too slow
#1  March 31, 2018, 02:15:19 pm
  • One true Susano'o
  • Subete wo… kirisaku!
EDIT: it appears that at some point I broke my build, most likely in an attempt to make it run properly. Simply using a new one fixes everything.

No matter what rendering settings I use, MUGEN always seems to be lagging whenever something more advanced than KFM and Mountain Temple is involved. Depending on what is present, it either skips frames like nothing else or slows down (although real slow down happens only with characters like Ronove). The thing is that I can run things like BBCF just fine. Only MUGEN gives me such problems.
I've heard that 1.1 has some quirky programming, but I am not sure if this problem is something to be expected or I am not doing something right.

This is my mugen.cfg file:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I am not using any screenpacks or lifebars.
Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:28:06 am by Susanoo-no-Mikoto
Re: MUGEN 1.1 seems to be running too slow
#2  March 31, 2018, 02:23:35 pm
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
What are your PC specs/GFX card/RAM/CPU/HDD etc.

Either way, three suggestions:

1)here's your main problem:
[Video]
RenderMode = System
In 2018, anything other than "OpenGL" is utterly pointless.

2)Also, try THIS.

3)Incase of some very rare character specific issues (mainly certain OP touhou edits/god chars etc)
use these (if your PC can handle):

Code:
AfterImageMax = 100
LayeredSpriteMax = 15000
SpriteDecompressionBufferSize = 16384
ExplodMax = 5000
SysExplodMax = 10000
HelperMax = 56
PlayerProjectileMax = 10000

hope that helps =-)
Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:33:46 pm by PhantomD
#3  March 31, 2018, 03:13:10 pm
  • One true Susano'o
  • Subete wo… kirisaku!
Here's your main problem:

[Video]
RenderMode = System

In 2018, anything other than "OpenGL" is utterly pointless.

Also, try THIS First.

as a last resort, incase of character some very rare character specific issues,
I recommend these (if your PC can handle). There are no characters that will be unusable if you use these:

Code:
AfterImageMax = 100
LayeredSpriteMax = 15000
SpriteDecompressionBufferSize = 16384
ExplodMax = 5000
SysExplodMax = 10000
HelperMax = 56
PlayerProjectileMax = 10000
I put System there because that's the last one I tried. It was not any different from DirectX or OpenGL aside from all the extra stuff like sprite rotation.

That aside, it worked for the most part. Ronove and co. still slow everything to a crawl though. I downloaded the patch from a different site since that link leads to a broken archive, but I do not think that should be a problem.

EDIT: if I got it right, they should be Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2117U @ 1.80GHz, 64x, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M.
Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:24:33 pm by Susanoo-no-Mikoto
#4  April 01, 2018, 02:47:11 am
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
I downloaded the patch from a different site since that link leads to a broken archive, but I do not think that should be a problem.

EDIT: if I got it right, they should be Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2117U @ 1.80GHz, 64x, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M.

Strange. I just checked that link on 2 PCs and an android device and on different browsers incl edge/opera/mozilla and they all work - there may be other underlying issues with your pc possibly.

But I think i see the problem - can you tell me:

1) if your 4GB SysRAM is DDR3 or DDR4.
2)Is your GT 740M the 1GB version or GDDR5 2GB version (i cant rememba 4 that card)
3)What version of windows are you running

Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:43:09 am by PhantomD
#5  April 01, 2018, 09:39:53 am
  • One true Susano'o
  • Subete wo… kirisaku!
I downloaded the patch from a different site since that link leads to a broken archive, but I do not think that should be a problem.

Strange. I just checked that link on 2 PCs and an android device and on different browsers incl edge/opera/mozilla and they all work - there may be other underlying issues with your pc possibly.

But I think i see the problem - can you tell me:

1) if your 4GB SysRAM is DDR3 or DDR4.
2)Is your GT 740M the 1GB version or GDDR5 2GB version (i cant rememba 4 that card)
3)What version of windows are you running

I checked it on another PC and the archive did not open either. This is weird.

1. It is DDR3
2. I think it is 1GB.
3. 8

EDIT: for some reason, using a new build of MUGEN 1.1 fixed everything. That build does not even have the patch applied to it and yet I can use two extremely heavy characters with no problems at all.
Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:23:36 am by Susanoo-no-Mikoto
#6  April 01, 2018, 11:16:09 am
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
Well thats great then =-)
I indirectly solved your problem lol!
#7  April 01, 2018, 11:17:23 am
  • One true Susano'o
  • Subete wo… kirisaku!
Yes, thanks for assistance.
#8  April 02, 2018, 04:20:38 am
    • USA
Just to clear this up and increase my post count high enough to reply to a PM, there's a huge difference between system, DirectX, and OpenGL.  OpenGL (not OpenGLScreen) uses the actual GL capability of the video card to render.  IIRC, it requires full GL 2.1 capability which is why wrappers and shitty video cards typically don't work.  It's much faster than software modes and allows for cool stuff like hardware scaling.

DirectX uses DirectX 5 (not D3D) to render a flat surface.  Fast, but nothing special.  System uses GDI to render a flat surface, like it's 1995.  Awwyeah.  Neither of those options supports proper GPU usage at all, so they work on crappy hardware but are useless at large resolutions.  Mugen does multithread pretty decently, but that only helps so much.

As for why your Mugen was running slow...dunno.  Sometimes Windows/drivers can mess up and not work quite right.  I've had issues where a program locks up my OpenGL system and won't let Mugen render a window.  Forcing stuff to close will eventually stop solving the problem.  Time for restart!